PDA

View Full Version : This is why you don't run the spread

Dominicfrank
09-19-2010, 08:53 PM
Never ran the spread before at Vernon. These kids are talented with a solid sophomore backfield and the new coach thinks we need to run the spread. BAD MOVE ! Vernon might not be the same for a very long time.

http://www.timesrecordnews.com/news/2010/sep/18/no-headline---fbh_vernon-sanger/

Keith7
09-19-2010, 08:55 PM
I remember we switched to the spread when I was in junior high.. We were mediocre the first couple of seasons but it eventually won a state championship for us..

Emerson1
09-19-2010, 08:58 PM
Vernon could be running the greatest offense ever conceived and know what defense and offense Sanger was in the entire game. That wouldn't change the fact that they were terrible enough to get beat 63-0

M-town lobo fan
09-19-2010, 09:01 PM
Monahans switched to the Spread in the earley 2000,We were horrible had 2 of the worse seasons in School History.Think we went 4-6 both years and missed the playoffs.The Spread you have to have a Good QB,Lots of speed and talented recievers

Z motion 10 out on 2
09-19-2010, 09:05 PM
I don't really know what to say.

Rocket
09-19-2010, 09:13 PM
The spread takes at least 2 seasons to properly install. The whole mindset changes. WR's become Receivers instead of blockers. We went from the Wishbone to the Spread...took about that long. But in 3A, if you can run it good, you can do major damage.

TheDOCTORdre
09-19-2010, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Vernon could be running the greatest offense ever conceived and know what defense and offense Sanger was in the entire game. That wouldn't change the fact that they were terrible enough to get beat 63-0

I'm sorry but I cant stop laughing after reading that

gatordaze
09-19-2010, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
I remember we switched to the spread when I was in junior high.. We were mediocre the first couple of seasons but it eventually won a state championship for us..

And now your mediocre again...

Gainesville Sucks!!!!!!!

Hey this is fun chasing you around and punking your posts!

goosealaniz
09-19-2010, 09:57 PM
the only game i have seen of vernon this season was when the coach took out the two varsity QB's and put in the JV QB... at least he drove them down for a touchdown...

dinger
09-20-2010, 09:07 PM
Coach Correll is trying. This offense will take time to get going

poisoned10
09-20-2010, 09:19 PM
Running the spread won't bring success over night. Like some have said, it will take a few years to get good at it.

Gilmer went 6-4 in 2000, 8-3 in 2001 and 8-3 in 2002, the first 3 years we ran the spread. Since then, Gilmer has won atleast 10 games every season.

Give it time for everyone to truly learn to run it and it can be very successful.

Old Tiger
09-20-2010, 09:25 PM
Rockdales only two years in the spread 2004-2005 we went 6-5 the first year lost in Bi district to Bellville. Second season we went 3-7...

westcoast54
09-20-2010, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by dinger
Coach Correll is trying. This offense will take time to get going

Trying hard may not be good enough after being hired by a 4-3 vote.

NateDawg39
09-20-2010, 10:16 PM
Decatur ran it well a few times but it just is not a consistent type of system.

Give me a mix of the option and the wing t

slpybear the bullfan
09-20-2010, 10:20 PM
The Bulls switched to the spread when Coach Henson came back in , '93? It is very effective with the right personnel. And when you get those special qb's that get extra games with their receivers by playing deep in the playoffs and seven on seven games it can get very, very fun to watch.

BEAST
09-20-2010, 10:22 PM
The spread is just how you line up. It doesn't mean you throw the ball 30 times. You can have 2 stud running backs in the backfield in the spread and have great success running. Especially if you can complete a pass or 2.

BEAST

BullsFan
09-20-2010, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
The Bulls switched to the spread when Coach Henson came back in , '93? It is very effective with the right personnel. And when you get those special qb's that get extra games with their receivers by playing deep in the playoffs and seven on seven games it can get very, very fun to watch.

We went from not having won a district game in something like 13 seasons to not only beating a good Springtown team to earn our first trip to the playoffs in my memory but going 3 or 4 deep. All that in one year. Even the major news shows were calling it our "Cinderella season". Some of the best football memories in my lifetime, so you won't catch me talking about why not to run the spread.

wimbo_pro
09-20-2010, 11:14 PM
Our best years have come with the spread as well. But we had a couple of weak years in that time frame too. You have to have the athletes for it, just like any other offensive scheme.

hookandladder
09-21-2010, 06:41 AM
In La Grange we have been running the spread for the last 5 years on Varity with our old coach, for some reason though the sub-varsity and JH teams have been running the wing T for the last 2 years. Now with our new coach we are back to the spread however some of this years Varity players are having to learn the spread all over again. It will come but will take some time.

Matthew328
09-21-2010, 06:56 AM
It will take time..I think Vernon's struggles have more to do with a lack of talent vs offensive scheme

VWG
09-21-2010, 07:01 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by BEAST
[B]The spread is just how you line up. It doesn't mean you throw the ball 30 times. You can have 2 stud running backs in the backfield in the spread and have great success running. Especially if you can complete a pass or 2.

Enough said...
You can run option all day long out of it if you wanted to.

VWG
09-21-2010, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by Rocket
The spread takes at least 2 seasons to properly install. The whole mindset changes. WR's become Receivers instead of blockers. We went from the Wishbone to the Spread...took about that long. But in 3A, if you can run it good, you can do major damage.

Uhhhhh, receivers don't block in the spread?? Hmmmmm, you throwing the ball 100% of the game?

DDBooger
09-21-2010, 07:21 AM
Our first year we went to the semi-finals. Though, we had Jordan Chambless (A&M).

pancho villa
09-21-2010, 08:14 AM
The spread is a metrosexual offense

Emerson1
09-21-2010, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by BEAST
The spread is just how you line up. It doesn't mean you throw the ball 30 times. You can have 2 stud running backs in the backfield in the spread and have great success running. Especially if you can complete a pass or 2.

BEAST
Forney has players be the #2, #3 and #5 in rushing in DFW 4A the past 3 seasons running the spread.

NastySlot
09-21-2010, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by VWG
[QUOTE]Originally posted by BEAST
[B]The spread is just how you line up. It doesn't mean you throw the ball 30 times. You can have 2 stud running backs in the backfield in the spread and have great success running. Especially if you can complete a pass or 2.

Enough said...
You can run option all day long out of it if you wanted to.

doesn't Guyer run the outside veer, midline and counter(gt) out spread formations.

Bullaholic
09-21-2010, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan

The Bulls went from 0-10 in 92' to 11-2 in 93' under Henson and the spread.

Black_Magic
09-21-2010, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Rocket
The spread takes at least 2 seasons to properly install. The whole mindset changes. WR's become Receivers instead of blockers. We went from the Wishbone to the Spread...took about that long. But in 3A, if you can run it good, you can do major damage. Thanks Expert:rolleyes:

LE Dad
09-21-2010, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by VWG
Uhhhhh, receivers don't block in the spread?? Hmmmmm, you throwing the ball 100% of the game? Even when you throw the WR still need to block... So much underneath stuff and blocking downfield turns 3yds into 10-15 yds. Good teams stress WR
blocking.

BEAST
09-21-2010, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by LE Dad
Even when you throw the WR still need to block... So much underneath stuff and blocking downfield turns 3yds into 10-15 yds. Good teams stress WR
blocking.

What he meant was in a typical run offense all WR do is block. In a spread, they have to be able to run routes and catch, as well as block.

BEAST

big daddy russ
09-21-2010, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by pancho villa
The spread is a metrosexual offense
Metrosexuals still pick up women. And the spread still picks up W's.

DDBooger
09-21-2010, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Metrosexuals still pick up women. And the spread still picks up W's. :D

tog
09-21-2010, 11:39 AM
there are so many versions of "the spread"

two tight end one back from the gun?

does that count as "spread" I have heard a lot of people call it that

doesn't mean they are right or know much of anything

but

there are many ways to skin a cat

BEAST
09-21-2010, 11:45 AM
The typical spread does not utilize a TE. It either uses 3 or 4 recievers and either 1 or 2 running backs. By using more recievers, it spreads the defenders out. Therefore opening up running lanes for the running backs. When the spread is run correctly, you can run the option, zone read, and any number of running plays as well as pass effectively.

BEAST

GrTigers6
09-21-2010, 11:55 AM
You can actually run a spread without throwing a single pass. But I have yet to see it.
Last year we had games where we didnt throw the ball half as much as we ran it and some that were the opposite.
The people that dont like the spread are the ones who have either been beaten by it or are "embarrased" if there team runs it:D :D :D

Black_Magic
09-21-2010, 12:06 PM
I remember when Andrews went from the wishbone to the spread. When Andrews was in the wishbone 10 years ago they just flat out beat people down. They were a very Physical team on both sides of the ball. They went to the spread 8 years ago and the whole program has never been the same. It is my belief that teams that just run the spread tend to not be as physical. I think it makes you a little softer on both sides of the ball.

Matthew328
09-21-2010, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot
doesn't Guyer run the outside veer, midline and counter(gt) out spread formations.

Guyer lines up in every formation known to man

poisoned10
09-21-2010, 12:30 PM
Jasper used to run a great option attack out of the spread.

They would have 3 "backs" (I say backs because any of the 3 would take the snap no matter who was lined up behind the center and any one of them would throw it/run it/pitch it.

It was a lot of fun to watch.

tog
09-21-2010, 01:12 PM
The typical spread does not utilize a TE. It either uses 3 or 4 recievers and either 1 or 2 running backs. By using more recievers, it spreads the defenders out. Therefore opening up running lanes for the running backs. When the spread is run correctly, you can run the option, zone read, and any number of running plays as well as pass effectively.

BEAST

zone read is an option
it is a double option

and yes matt--guyer does run those things from every formation out there

BEAST
09-21-2010, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by tog
zone read is an option
it is a double option

and yes matt--guyer does run those things from every formation out there

I am aware of that. I was trying to stay simple. Trying to explain the spread to someone that didnt understand it. Thought using different terminology, maybe theyve heard it called one or the other.

BEAST

j_dog
09-21-2010, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by poisoned10
Jasper used to run a great option attack out of the spread.

They would have 3 "backs" (I say backs because any of the 3 would take the snap no matter who was lined up behind the center and any one of them would throw it/run it/pitch it.

It was a lot of fun to watch.
That worked for Jasper because Jasper had three true QB's back there. Each had started at QB at different times. Also, all three were good runners. Yes, it was very tough to defend.

tog
09-21-2010, 09:41 PM
I am aware of that. I was trying to stay simple. Trying to explain the spread to someone that didnt understand it. Thought using different terminology, maybe theyve heard it called one or the other.

BEAST

I hope you didn't think that someone was me. :doh: