PDA

View Full Version : A very embarrassing move

Farmersfan
09-17-2010, 01:28 PM
The Farmersville coach has started a move this season on the kickoff team that embarrassess everybody in the home stands everytime they do it. They boys line up in a semi kickoff formation and all at once they all take off like they are going to kick but they stop right before kicking and move back into position! Every single time they do this I hear moans and groans from many, many people in the stands. This seems like such a stupid, non productive effort. Anyone else have experience with this fake kickoff? Has it EVER produced any results?

Txbroadcaster
09-17-2010, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
The Farmersville coach has started a move this season on the kickoff team that embarrassess everybody in the home stands everytime they do it. They boys line up in a semi kickoff formation and all at once they all take off like they are going to kick but they stop right before kicking and move back into position! Every single time they do this I hear moans and groans from many, many people in the stands. This seems like such a stupid, non productive effort. Anyone else have experience with this fake kickoff? Has it EVER produced any results?

Seems like the fans are worried about stuff they should not be like being emnbarrassed b something likt that

Lucky2Coach
09-17-2010, 01:31 PM
That was the cool thing to do about 4 or 5 years ago. Some teams even got twice as deceptive, and after their first bluff as they walked back to get in position they would quickly turn and charge again. Special Teams Coordinator Genius!!!

Ernest T Bass
09-17-2010, 01:35 PM
Ive done that at almost every school Ive been to. The first time a team doesn't respect it, I'll onside kick. It usually works 2-3 times a year.
Now, that starburst return that Im sure y'all are doing, is another debacle all together.

ccmom
09-17-2010, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Seems like the fans are worried about stuff they should not be like being emnbarrassed b something likt that

:iagree:

bwdlionfan
09-17-2010, 01:36 PM

I hate it too, BUT... one time they will really kick it onside when they rush the ball and try to take the opponent by surprise.

waterboy
09-17-2010, 01:39 PM
:thinking: Seems to me I've seen this move before.:D If you can catch the other team napping it might just set up an onside kick later......

Farmersfan
09-17-2010, 01:42 PM

For some reason it doesn't surprise me that YOU feel you are qualified to tell ALL the other fans what they should or should not be embarrassed by TX!

The truth is it's a moronic move and shows a complete lack of in-touch by this coach! The ONLY possible reason for it is to eventually set up a time when they might actually kick the dang ball but no team with a ounce of intelligence would EVER fall for this. That's why even the old ladies in the stands groan when they see the coach making the boys do such a NON-EFFECTIVE move as if he thinks it might actually give them an advantage at some point. Even the other players laugh out loud when they do it!!!!! It is 100% a elementary school move and yet our Varsity is doing it!!!! So would you like to answer the question? Have you ever seen it serve an actual purpose?

Farmersfan
09-17-2010, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
Ive done that at almost every school Ive been to. The first time a team doesn't respect it, I'll onside kick. It usually works 2-3 times a year.
Now, that starburst return that Im sure y'all are doing, is another debacle all together.

The very first "Starburst" that they tried in week zero resulted in a fumbled ball and gave Commerce the football on the Farmersville 20. And any team that gets surprised with a onside from this move should have their coach fired immediately! The team is actually ANNOUCING that they will eventually try to sneak in a onside kick. It should never surprise anyone.

BullBoy
09-17-2010, 01:52 PM
I think i've seen Sweetwater do it before at a playoff game against Bridgeport, whatever it was that they were doing it sure looked COOL!!!:clap:

Farmersfan
09-17-2010, 01:53 PM

Just curious as to how the other team does "not respect it"???? They are already lined up to receive the kick and are waiting for the kick! Our boys FAKE kicking the ball and then move back to their original starting point and then go through the kicking process all over again. The receiving team is standing there waiting for the kick! It just seems so ridiculous and gimmicky (if that's a word).

coachc45
09-17-2010, 01:57 PM
For some reason it doesn't surprise me that YOU feel you are qualified to tell ALL the other fans what they should or should not be embarrassed by TX!

The truth is it's a moronic move and shows a complete lack of in-touch by this coach! The ONLY possible reason for it is to eventually set up a time when they might actually kick the dang ball but no team with a ounce of intelligence would EVER fall for this. That's why even the old ladies in the stands groan when they see the coach making the boys do such a NON-EFFECTIVE move as if he thinks it might actually give them an advantage at some point. Even the other players laugh out loud when they do it!!!!! It is 100% a elementary school move and yet our Varsity is doing it!!!! So would you like to answer the question? Have you ever seen it serve an actual purpose?

I know as a coach I hate it when the other teams does this.... It means that I have to spend valuable practice time preparing my kids for it. It ends up taking time away from practicing things like setting up a return and who I am to block when the ball is kicked deep.
Then I have to deal with the fact that if they do kick it at this "embarassing run-up" do I have the correct people in these positions up front to field the thing. Then I have to change my personell around from having kids who have the ability to block a guy running full-speed down on a kick-off to someone who can catch better.... making my return less effective.

Txbroadcaster
09-17-2010, 01:57 PM

Yes I have seen it serve an actual purpose..I have seen it more than once catch a team off guard and an onside kick work from it.

LionKing
09-17-2010, 01:58 PM
I agree with FarmersFan, just line up and kick the ball.

BullsFan
09-17-2010, 02:00 PM
Springtown did this last week. Whoever said it earlier was right--you might as well broadcast over the PA system that at some point you'll try an onside kick. If you want to try an onside kick, pulling that stunt every time is almost a guarantee that the opposing team will be waiting for it.

BwdLion_80
09-17-2010, 02:01 PM
Breckenridge did this every kickoff last week at Bangs. Bangs coaches yelled over and over that Breck was offsides when they did it. Told them that no one was offsides until the ball was kicked! They still have 25 seconds to kick the ball! They didn't seem to like it.

Ernest T Bass
09-17-2010, 02:04 PM
Lined up for the kick and prepared for the kick are two different things. The first fake is almost always prepared for. But, when it's been done several times it does tend to lull a team to sleep. A quail covey onsider kick is tough as it is, but it's especially tough when it's unexpected.
Ive also seen many teams relax after the fake. Ive seen some kids actually turn their back to the kicking team to walk back into position(one was a 5a state finalist). That's when it comes in handy. It's simple to teach, takes little to no practice time, and has almost zero chance of hurting the kicking the team. So, why not?
As for the starburst return; I know who introduced that one to the Farmers. He tried it once before, and it resulted in mass clusterfication, much as it did 2 weeks ago.

Txbroadcaster
09-17-2010, 02:04 PM
[B]For some reason it doesn't surprise me that YOU feel you are qualified to tell ALL the other fans what they should or should not be embarrassed by TX!

/B]

Look I have no problem if you dont like the formation..but to say your embarressed by it IMO is stupid.

Ranger Mom
09-17-2010, 02:06 PM
LOL!! Clusterfication!!!

Love it!!

LE Dad
09-17-2010, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
LOL!! Clusterfication!!!

Love it!! Better not say that one too fast...:D

LE Dad
09-17-2010, 02:19 PM
Nashville Ar. does this... somtimes someone other than the kicker will kick it. You have to stay on your toes or you will end up giving them a short field.

Farmersfan
09-17-2010, 02:22 PM
Lined up for the kick and prepared for the kick are two different things. The first fake is almost always prepared for. But, when it's been done several times it does tend to lull a team to sleep. A quail covey onsider kick is tough as it is, but it's especially tough when it's unexpected.
Ive also seen many teams relax after the fake. Ive seen some kids actually turn their back to the kicking team to walk back into position(one was a 5a state finalist). That's when it comes in handy. It's simple to teach, takes little to no practice time, and has almost zero chance of hurting the kicking the team. So, why not?
As for the starburst return; I know who introduced that one to the Farmers. He tried it once before, and it resulted in mass clusterfication, much as it did 2 weeks ago.

If i'm not mistaken Coach Wright ran this a few times in 07' when he won a state title.

Ernest T Bass
09-17-2010, 02:24 PM
If i'm not mistaken Coach Wright ran this a few times in 07' when he won a state title.

The starburst? Damnit, thanks for ruining my preconceived notion about a particular person(not Coach Wright).

RoyceTTU
09-17-2010, 02:25 PM
Fake Kickoff,,,,,maybe a stretch from what your talking about but I chuckled when I saw it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhFZTJN46rg

Ex-Tiger2005
09-17-2010, 02:27 PM

I see a lot of teams do it! It doesnt really bother me none. Now when they actually kick it i can see where fans will start to moan and groan. It works well if u do it everytime and then actually pull it off!

GrTigers6
09-17-2010, 02:33 PM
I would be willing to bet over half of the teams either do it or have done it before. There is nothing wrong with it especially when the return team always has to worry about the onside and cant fully concentrate on a good return. We did a form of it the last two years because we had a right handed kicker and a left handed kicker, so you never knew where it was going or when

Farmersfan
09-17-2010, 02:49 PM
Look I have no problem if you dont like the formation..but to say your embarressed by it IMO is stupid.

So YOU aren't embarrassed when your team does something that the other team and fans laugh at???? Seriously?

Perhaps "embarrassed" is not the correct word to use then. Maybe dismayed? Angered? Irritated? or just pissed off? Whatever they feel, it is a FACT that many, many people in the stands audiably groan or shake their heads in disgust when they do it! Perhaps it stems from watching the team miss tackle after tackle or block after block on the field and then they get to see that this coach is spending valuable practice time on a trick move that isn't even a very practical trick move to begin with instead of teaching them to play solid football. Perhaps it's because this is such a cheap, juvenile & unimaginative attempt at trickery. Whatever the reason for it, it does seem to get under people's skin when they do it.

But I do thank you for judging the people as usual instead of just answering the question posted. Are you sure you aren't related to Pick6?? :D

RoyceTTU
09-17-2010, 02:54 PM
Perhaps it stems from watching the team miss tackle after tackle or block after block on the field and then they get to see that this coach is spending valuable practice time on a trick move that isn't even a very practical trick move to begin with instead of teaching them to play solid football.

My Dr. Phil Moment, Perhaps this is the true root of you anger and the fake kick is just iritating you. Just my simple conjecture

Ranger Mom
09-17-2010, 02:57 PM

But I do thank you for judging the people as usual instead of just answering the question posted.

Pot....meet kettle!:D

LE Dad
09-17-2010, 03:01 PM
So YOU aren't embarrassed when your team does something that the other team and fans laugh at???? Seriously?
If it works, I bet they won't laugh for long.:thinking:

waterboy
09-17-2010, 03:02 PM
:clap: :clap: :D

waterboy
09-17-2010, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by coachc45
I know as a coach I hate it when the other teams does this.... It means that I have to spend valuable practice time preparing my kids for it. It ends up taking time away from practicing things like setting up a return and who I am to block when the ball is kicked deep.
Then I have to deal with the fact that if they do kick it at this "embarassing run-up" do I have the correct people in these positions up front to field the thing. Then I have to change my personell around from having kids who have the ability to block a guy running full-speed down on a kick-off to someone who can catch better.... making my return less effective.
:clap: Exactly! That's one of the many purposes for doing this. Anything to take away from the opponent's practice time, not to mention catching the other team a little too relaxed and taking away a possession from the other team around midfield. Pooch kicks can also work......IF the ball is kicked just right. I've seen that work, too. The only way it is embarassing is if your team fails to recover the onside.

Farmersfan
09-17-2010, 03:08 PM

Did you come up with that all by yourself????

:D :o :hand:

Txbroadcaster
09-17-2010, 03:18 PM

Perhaps "embarrassed" is not the correct word to use then. Maybe dismayed? Angered? Irritated? or just pissed off? Whatever they feel, it is a FACT that many, many people in the stands audiably groan or shake their heads in disgust when they do it! Perhaps it stems from watching the team miss tackle after tackle or block after block on the field and then they get to see that this coach is spending valuable practice time on a trick move that isn't even a very practical trick move to begin with instead of teaching them to play solid football. Perhaps it's because this is such a cheap, juvenile & unimaginative attempt at trickery. Whatever the reason for it, it does seem to get under people's skin when they do it.

But I do thank you for judging the people as usual instead of just answering the question posted. Are you sure you aren't related to Pick6?? :D

Sorry it is hard not to judge someone who is embarrassed by what a bunch of HS football players are doing to try to win a football game

RoyceTTU
09-17-2010, 03:21 PM
If we were talking about Basketball, would you be complaining about the "Barking Dog" play?

Ranger Mom
09-17-2010, 03:25 PM
Did you come up with that all by yourself????

:D :o :hand:

Nope,sure didn't...I just found it ironic that you, of all people, would dare to call someone else judgmental!!

LHdog
09-17-2010, 03:32 PM
Burnet started doing the same move on kick-offs this year. I quess the strategy is to set-up the onside kick.

Ranger Mom
09-17-2010, 03:33 PM
Wow...by reading this thread....there must be embarrassed fans ALL OVER the state of Texas, cause it sure sounds like a lot of teams do it!!!

AP Panther Fan
09-17-2010, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by RoyceTTU
If we were talking about Basketball, would you be complaining about the "Barking Dog" play?

Okay, I will ask....what is the barking dog play? Hopefully, not what I am envisioning.:evillol:

BaseballUmp
09-17-2010, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
Okay, I will ask....what is the barking dog play? Hopefully, not what I am envisioning.:evillol:
Barking Kid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8LAvlmOUus)

AP Panther Fan
09-17-2010, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp
Barking Kid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8LAvlmOUus)

Darn, I am blocked. Thanks for trying though.

Txbroadcaster
09-17-2010, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
Darn, I am blocked. Thanks for trying though.

Basically on an inbound play one of the players for the team inbounding the ball goes down on all fours and starts barking..causing the defense to look that way as another player cuts to the basket..ball is inbounded to him and he lays it up for easy basket

AP Panther Fan
09-17-2010, 04:05 PM
Basically on an inbound play one of the players for the team inbounding the ball goes down on all fours and starts barking..causing the defense to look that way as another player cuts to the basket..ball is inbounded to him and he lays it up for easy basket

Yikes, that is worse than I thought. I was imagining the opponents barking while someone was trying to shoot a free throw or something.

If I were to see that play, someone would probably have to carry me out of the gym.:D

Pendragon13
09-17-2010, 04:14 PM
Any team that has enough kickoffs per game to set up and onside probably doesn't need any tricks to win.;)

Ranger Mom
09-17-2010, 04:16 PM
This old video still makes me laugh!!!

Trick play (http://video.yahoo.com/watch/4054007/10953154)

sinton66
09-17-2010, 04:33 PM
Just curious as to how the other team does "not respect it"???? They are already lined up to receive the kick and are waiting for the kick! Our boys FAKE kicking the ball and then move back to their original starting point and then go through the kicking process all over again. The receiving team is standing there waiting for the kick! It just seems so ridiculous and gimmicky (if that's a word).

Basically, they should have their "hands" people up front for an onside kick. If a team does this a couple of times and the coach sees them put their "hands" people back expecting a normal kickoff (NOT respecting an onside attempt), then he does an onside. And yes, I've seen it work dozens of times.

Emerson1
09-17-2010, 04:57 PM
I have seen a lot of teams do it. The one time I saw the team actually kick it they recovered it.

waterboy
09-17-2010, 05:00 PM
This old video still makes me laugh!!!

Trick play (http://video.yahoo.com/watch/4054007/10953154)
"Oops, video not available" is what that link is saying.....:(

TheDOCTORdre
09-17-2010, 05:58 PM
Its Tony Romo's fault:D

LH Panther Mom
09-18-2010, 07:11 AM
Leander High does this on their kickoffs and I've seen a couple of other teams that do, as well. How is it embarrassing? :confused:

Ranger Mom
09-18-2010, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by waterboy
"Oops, video not available" is what that link is saying.....:(

I told you it was a "trick play!":D :D

Seriously though, I don't know why it is saying that. I posted that at work, but I can open it here at home too!!

Txbroadcaster
09-18-2010, 11:09 AM
I told you it was a "trick play!":D :D

Seriously though, I don't know why it is saying that. I posted that at work, but I can open it here at home too!!

if it is showing that just refresh the page and it will load correctly

ctown
09-18-2010, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by coachc45

Maybe you're trying to make the point for doing it. Back a few years ago when Celina was rolling under GA Moore, our teams did this. Every once and a while they would kick the ball and steam roll the other team while the ball handlers would follow in behind to get the recovery. Don't be embarrassed. Just ask the coach to actually run it once and a while to make it credible.

icu812
09-18-2010, 12:13 PM
We used to do it at Van a few yrs ago. I see why teams do it but I'm glad we don't anymore.

coach
09-18-2010, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
Its Tony Romo's fault:D

i was just about to say that

VWG
09-19-2010, 01:32 PM
I copied this response from an "Old Coach" thread, but this sums it up for me. The best coaches and officials are always, and I mean every year, are always in the stands.

As most coaches know, the parents ALWAYS think they know more about how to run a team (or an athletic program) than the professional that has been in the business for 10, 15, 20, or more years. I truly wish that they could deal with the same kind of stuff in their workplace (i.e. having people come in and tell them how to do their job that have NO idea what they are talking about) and see just how they like it or would handle it.

Eagle 1
09-19-2010, 04:32 PM
Some team we played last year done this kick off too, but they never onside kicked it during the game. I don't remember the team.
I actually thought it was both stupid and funny looking, especially when they did kick it deep to us we ran the starburst right back at them.
I can see the strategy in this if you catch the other team off guard, but most teams have scouted and know how you kick the ball off.