PDA

View Full Version : You win the toss Defense or Offense

4x100jackets
09-17-2010, 12:51 PM
If you win the toss do you play Defense or Offense first?

What are some of your thoughts and why?

Ernest T Bass
09-17-2010, 01:00 PM
Defense. 72% of the time the kicking team is the first team to score.

Bearkat
09-17-2010, 01:09 PM
On the road, I like to take the ball first. At home, I want to play defense first.

crzyjournalist03
09-17-2010, 01:28 PM
I always prefer to receive the ball in the second half. If you have good time management, a lot of times you can end up with back-to-back possessions in the middle of the game which can go a long way in determining the game's outcome if you perform well.

bwdlionfan
09-17-2010, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by 4x100jackets
If you win the toss do you play Defense or Offense first?

What are some of your thoughts and why?

Defer and make them choose.

firstdown
09-17-2010, 01:44 PM
defense defense defense

BullBoy
09-17-2010, 01:45 PM
Defer to the second half that way if you're up at halftime you get the ball with a chance to put more points on the board and if you're losing at haltime it gives you a chance to get back into it if you score. (are we talking about real football or video game football MADDEN11, NCAA11?)

Keith7
09-17-2010, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by BullBoy
Defer to the second half that way if you're up at halftime you get the ball with a chance to put more points on the board and if you're losing at haltime it gives you a chance to get back into it if you score. (are we talking about real football or video game football MADDEN11, NCAA11?)

Why defer? Why not just kick in that circumstance?

Ernest T Bass
09-17-2010, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
Why defer? Why not just kick in that circumstance?

B/c then you're kicking to start both halves.

Keith7
09-17-2010, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
B/c then you're kicking to start both halves.

:confused: :confused:

If you kick the first half don't you automatically receive in the second half?

Maybe I think that because of madden

Ex-Tiger2005
09-17-2010, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Bearkat
On the road, I like to take the ball first. At home, I want to play defense first.

Ditto! :clap:

Ernest T Bass
09-17-2010, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
:confused: :confused:

If you kick the first half don't you automatically receive in the second half?

Maybe I think that because of madden

No, the winner of the toss gets to choose first. The loser gets to choose for the 2nd half. If you defer, then you save your choice for the 2nd half. If you choose to kick, then the other teams gets to choose for the 2nd half.

Keith7
09-17-2010, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
No, the winner of the toss gets to choose first. The loser gets to choose for the 2nd half. If you defer, then you save your choice for the 2nd half. If you choose to kick, then the other teams gets to choose for the 2nd half.

well there you go. that's good to know.. the deferring thing always threw me through a loop.

kaorder1999
09-17-2010, 02:44 PM
give me the ball first!

BullBoy
09-17-2010, 02:46 PM
now that i know the clear meaning of "DEFER" i would like to scratch out "defer" in my first post and replace it with "kick off".

heck i used to think defer meat that you didnt want the ball until the 2nd half, shows how much i know...:doh:

BullBoy
09-17-2010, 02:47 PM
heck i used to think defer meant that you didnt want the ball until the 2nd half, shows how much i know...

RoyceTTU
09-17-2010, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by BullBoy
now that i know the clear meaning of "DEFER" i would like to scratch out "defer" in my first post and replace it with "kick off".

heck i used to think defer meat that you didnt want the ball until the 2nd half, shows how much i know...:doh:

Maybe my definition of Deferring could be off but my understanding is you could have an advantage by deffering if the wind was horendous. You might win the toss, defer, wait to see how you did, if you up by a bunch maybe choose a side of the field in the second half and make the offence go against the wind all evening even though you give up a posession by kicking twice.

YTBulldogs
09-17-2010, 02:59 PM
It's surprising how many rules fan's don't know. Or, they think NFL/HS play by the same rules.

Like that holding penalty by #71 for the Cowboys vs the Redskins, that prevented the game winning TD. In HS, if the "D" accepted the holding penalty, offense get's another play. If they decline it, it would be a TD. NFL just wipes it off, and since time expired in the game---it's over. Odd I think.

A common one HS fan's don't understand is the face guarding by secondary defender on a pass. In HS, it's allowed, in the NFL, the defender must turn to play the ball on a pass play.

Old Tiger
09-17-2010, 03:06 PM
I like to defer to the second half

Ernest T Bass
09-17-2010, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by RoyceTTU
Maybe my definition of Deferring could be off but my understanding is you could have an advantage by deffering if the wind was horendous. You might win the toss, defer, wait to see how you did, if you up by a bunch maybe choose a side of the field in the second half and make the offence go against the wind all evening even though you give up a posession by kicking twice.

This, and the fact that you're not starting out on offense. Like I said, 72% of the time the receiving team does NOT score first.

lostaussie
09-17-2010, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by bwdlionfan
Defer and make them choose. The song just wouldn't sound good if Kenny sang "Yes sir we want to defer":D

crzyjournalist03
09-17-2010, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by YTBulldogs
It's surprising how many rules fan's don't know. Or, they think NFL/HS play by the same rules.

Like that holding penalty by #71 for the Cowboys vs the Redskins, that prevented the game winning TD. In HS, if the "D" accepted the holding penalty, offense get's another play. If they decline it, it would be a TD. NFL just wipes it off, and since time expired in the game---it's over. Odd I think.

A common one HS fan's don't understand is the face guarding by secondary defender on a pass. In HS, it's allowed, in the NFL, the defender must turn to play the ball on a pass play.

I've always thought it was kind of weird in the NFL...because alternatively, if the defense commits a penalty with time expired, the offense gets another play. The reasoning behind it is that if the offense is trying to make a play, they're obviously trailing and shouldn't have an extra opportunity once they've cheated once, but I'd still like to see it go both ways.

DaHop72
09-17-2010, 03:35 PM
Maybe my definition of Deferring could be off but my understanding is you could have an advantage by deffering if the wind was horendous. You might win the toss, defer, wait to see how you did, if you up by a bunch maybe choose a side of the field in the second half and make the offence go against the wind all evening even though you give up a posession by kicking twice. No matter whether you defer or not, you can only make them go against the wind for 2 quarters. Of course, you could choose if you want them to go against the wind in the 3rd quarter or force them to do it in the 4th quarter.

RoyceTTU
09-17-2010, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
No matter whether you defer or not, you can only make them go against the wind for 2 quarters. Of course, you could choose if you want them to go against the wind in the 3rd quarter or force them to do it in the 4th quarter.

You right, that really what I meant but worded totally wrong

BLACK&GOLD4LIFE
09-17-2010, 03:52 PM
always offense.. score first, stay ahead the whole game

DaHop72
09-17-2010, 03:54 PM
You right, that really what I meant but worded totally wrong :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I understand, happens to most of us from time to time.

Except for the chosen few that is.(And we all know who they are.) :devil: :devil:

Present company not included.:D