PDA

View Full Version : Why do schools screw with visitors?

Cowboy_Up
09-16-2010, 09:51 PM
OK, besides the obvious that the home team wants to win, why does so much funny business go on?
Cuero doesn't want the Bellville blow up helmet here or there or here? Why do that?
Our first game at Needville, the visitors locker room was 100+ degrees, the oldest trick in the book, why do that? Heck, I'd think cooling it down to 60 or lower would have a better effect.
Plus, goes around comes around.
Why not just be classy and kick butt on the field.
Is it tradition, someone just having fun, or do teams and ADs really think they can change an outcome by being poor hosts?

GreenMonster
09-16-2010, 10:59 PM
I've often thought about this myself. I know that this past Friday we were put in a locker room that was hotter inside than it was outside, so at halftime we just went beyond the endzone to where our bus was parked and just sat down on the grassy area there and held our halftime meeting there. The officials were in the same building with us and they too chose to sit outside. After the game the opposing head coach came to us and apologized for the situation explaining that he had turned the AC unit on early in the morning, but never came back to check it and he turned the thermostat way down to try to ensure a nice cool place for us to dress, but apparently he set it too low and the AC froze up therefore not cooling at all. He claimed to be unaware until halftime when he realized we were outside and so were the refs. Whether the story was true or not we have no idea, but we appreciate the fact that he came and apologized about it. The exact same thing has happened to us at our home field house. Unfortunately, we dress our opponents in a tiny dressing room simply due to not having a better alternative. They would have much more room if they were to dress in the gym, but it's clost to a quarter of a mile from the field. We always apologize ahead of time for the cramped quarters that we provide and most of our visitors have been there before and understand that it was an oversight by a previous regime when they planned our facility which is only about 9 years old. Unfortunately the district is not in a position currently to fix the problem because of financial reasons as we are still paying off the original bond that was passed to build the school and the athletic facilities. We all also are aware that ever since the state of Texas changed the way schools were financed several years ago that districts are not getting the same support in state dollars as what we used to get and that is not going to change anytime in the future due to the state's current financial situation with the huge deficit Austin is facing. As for the gamesmanship some choose to partake in, it is what it is. Some coaches are just........jerks.

eagles_victory
09-16-2010, 11:07 PM
Coach said Lufkin did the same thing with the 100 degree locker room Friday when Nacogdoches played there. Rumor is it was done because the Lufkin coach didn't like the Nacogdoches coach over some shanagians that happened this summer.

BILLYFRED0000
09-17-2010, 07:35 AM
I think it is not gamesman ship but chicken ship. A coach that stoops that low obviously has a limited sense of honor and does believe his team needs all the help he can get them.

GrTigers6
09-17-2010, 07:37 AM
That's not much different than not cutting your grass as short as normal just to slow down a faster team. My problem with that is, doesnt that slow your team down as well?

onsideanytime
09-17-2010, 08:14 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Cowboy_Up
Our first game at Needville, the visitors locker room was 100+ degrees, the oldest trick in the book, why do that?

i can give you an answer for the hot dressing in needville, there is no AC in those lockerooms, all that is in there are heaters and i am not sure if those even work, there is no where close to dress the visiting teams other than those lockerooms

Phil C
09-17-2010, 08:21 AM
One of the problems is some people don't know how to be a gracious hosts. Also some people need to be gracious guests.

teetle
09-17-2010, 08:49 AM
Sealy donts doos that. Jimmie he wonts allows that. He goning to treat you nice. Then he gonna gets you on the field of plays. Thats the ways he is. He Believe ins sportmanship. He preach thats alls the time. He wants yous to think everything is alls right. Then he goning to drop the bomb. He that way. In Needville theys plays games. When you not good you has to do that. :D :o :o :eek:

BaseballUmp
09-17-2010, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by teetle
Sealy donts doos that. Jimmie he wonts allows that. He goning to treat you nice. Then he gonna gets you on the field of plays. Thats the ways he is. He Believe ins sportmanship. He preach thats alls the time. He wants yous to think everything is alls right. Then he goning to drop the bomb. He that way. In Needville theys plays games. When you not good you has to do that. :D :o :o :eek:
:doh:

RoyceTTU
09-17-2010, 10:12 AM

Did I read any of that right :confused: Did anybody read any of that right :thinking:

Red&White_9x5
09-17-2010, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by GrTigers6
That's not much different than not cutting your grass as short as normal just to slow down a faster team. My problem with that is, doesnt that slow your team down as well?

Unless your team doesn't have any speed to begin with then I guess it wouldn't matter

lostaussie
09-17-2010, 10:42 AM
Sealy donts doos that. Jimmie he wonts allows that. He goning to treat you nice. Then he gonna gets you on the field of plays. Thats the ways he is. He Believe ins sportmanship. He preach thats alls the time. He wants yous to think everything is alls right. Then he goning to drop the bomb. He that way. In Needville theys plays games. When you not good you has to do that. :D :o :o :eek: Huh??

Maroon87
09-17-2010, 11:14 AM

Classic.

Phantom Stang
09-17-2010, 11:18 AM
Well said old chum. Well said.:nerd:

:D

GrTigers6
09-17-2010, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Red&White_9x5
Unless your team doesn't have any speed to begin with then I guess it wouldn't matter The way I look at it it you have to "fix" the field or not turn on ac in lockerrooms or anything else like that then that is unsportsmanlike in my opinion. Just step on the field and play and may the best team win. Simple as that!!!

rojosgirl
09-17-2010, 12:39 PM
Coaches do that stuff because they can. Anything to "mess with your head" and gain the slightest edge. As a rule, what goes around, comes around. Suit up and play . . . . .

Air conditioned locker rooms? What's that? None of those "back in the day".

:rolleyes:

Old Tiger
09-17-2010, 12:42 PM
Have you ever been to the La Grange visitor locker room? I firmly believe its a breeding ground for bacteria.

BaseballUmp
09-17-2010, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
Have you ever been to the La Grange visitor locker room? I firmly believe its a breeding ground for bacteria.
+1

50 yard line fan
09-17-2010, 12:48 PM
My personal favorite is Iowa State. Everything in the visitors locker room is pink.

http://thegazette.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/pink.jpg

watz4dinner
09-17-2010, 02:03 PM
Liberty hill was terrible! Their lockeroom was nice and cool...ours had a hot fan....must have been a 100 in there. We tried to sit outside, but they would not shut the gate and they let their fans hang out in front of our lockeroom. It worked out....didn't bother our players...just coaches!

Old Tiger
09-17-2010, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by 50 yard line fan
My personal favorite is Iowa State. Everything in the visitors locker room is pink.

http://thegazette.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/pink.jpg Scientifically speaking those shades they use actually relaxes the human being.

BwdLion73
09-17-2010, 02:35 PM
Thats the color of our office carpet. Hold on I'll be back in a minute.

44INAROW
09-17-2010, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by BwdLion73
Thats the color of ..................
I better leave well enough alone:eek: :devil: :D :D

50 yard line fan
09-17-2010, 02:44 PM
My understanding is the commodes were actually made here at Kohler-Brownwood.

DaHop72
09-17-2010, 03:39 PM
My understanding is the commodes were actually made here at Kohler-Brownwood. They must have just copied the ones in the Lion locker room. :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

LE Dad
09-17-2010, 04:25 PM

http://thegazette.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/pink.jpg That is the U of Iowa... I think Hayden Fry was the one who initially thought of it.

LE Dad
09-17-2010, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
They must have just copied the ones in the Lion locker room. :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :eek: :eek: :eek:

injuredinmelee
09-17-2010, 11:26 PM
Tell me this is an attempt at humor or mockery...

coach
09-17-2010, 11:28 PM

took the words right out of my mouth

LH Panther Mom
09-18-2010, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by watz4dinner
Liberty hill was terrible! Their lockeroom was nice and cool...ours had a hot fan....must have been a 100 in there. We tried to sit outside, but they would not shut the gate and they let their fans hang out in front of our lockeroom. It worked out....didn't bother our players...just coaches!
The "gate" is how your fans get to the visitors' side! :doh: :doh:

watz4dinner
09-18-2010, 08:32 AM
The fans walk through to get to the other side, while the LH fans hang out and wait for LH to come out of lockeroom. Big difference! At least shut it off for LH fans til they come out.

LH Panther Mom
09-18-2010, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by watz4dinner
The fans walk through to get to the other side, while the LH fans hang out and wait for LH to come out of lockeroom. Big difference! At least shut it off for LH fans til they come out.
So our fans shouldn't be able to welcome our players out of the locker room? :confused:

Maybe our bond will pass and we'll have an acceptable option for visitors as far as seating, facilities, concessions, etc. Until then, we've got 2A facilities, other than home seating!

Rabid Cougar
09-18-2010, 09:14 AM
Caldwell's micro huricanes.