PDA

View Full Version : Regarding Heisman Trophy misses

Phil C
09-16-2010, 03:52 PM
The Heisman Trophy has been awarded for over 70 years to the supposedly best college football player in the nation. But I think they have missed out on a few. Please make your additions if you have any or even if different opinion.

1935 Davy O-Brien QB at TCU wins but Sid Luckman, Columbia is third place and yet he goes on to be a big pro football star winning the NFL championship.

1943 Notre Dame QB Angelo Bertelli wins it but third place Otto Graham, OB at Northwestern goes on to win many championships at Cleveland Browns.

1956 Paul Hornung, OB Notre Dame wins over the great running back Jim Brown of Syracuse. The real disgrace is that Brown not only gets left off the next two places. A real red flag on this one.

1957 John David Crow, RB of Texas A&M wins over Tackle Alex Karras of Iowa who goes on to have a great NFL carreer.

1964 John Huarte QB of Notre Dame wins over Kick Brutkus, Illinois, who goes on to be a great LB in the pros.

1975, RB at Ohio States win the Heisman for the second year in a row in spite of California RB Chuck Muncie. Some sports analysis say it is more for the great 4 years Archie had than for the one year that year. Contradiction city.

1977 Texas RB Earl Campbell wins. No criticism here. This was a shoo in and Earl's carrer certainly justified it. I give credit to them for getting it right here and a few other times such as when Stauback and Jim Plunkett won.

2003 Jason White, QB, Oklahoma wins over third place Eli Manning, OB from Mississippi who goes on the be on a Super Bowl winner!

2005 Vince Young not awarded. Nuff said.

2009 Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama wins over Tim Teebow and Colt McCoy (most wins as an NCAA QB) as the media hypes how Alabama who has had great teams in the past has never had a Heisman Winner. The writers get involved with the hype.

Perhaps the biggest injustice of all follows as this was the unkindest snubb of all and it happened in the first year the Trophy was awarded in 1935:

Jay Berwanger, HB of Chicago wins. Army HB Monk Meyer wins runner up while is third place is Bill Shakespeare HB of Notre Dame. Bill goes on to write many famous plays that are to be on stage many times and many are made into great movies. These include Romeo and Juliet, Julius Caesar, King Lear, Hamlet, Much Ado About Nothing, Macbeth and others.

NastySlot
09-16-2010, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
The Heisman Trophy has been awarded for over 70 years to the supposedly best college football player in the nation. But I think they have missed out on a few. Please make your additions if you have any or even if different opinion.

1935 Davy O-Brien QB at TCU wins but Sid Luckman, Columbia is third place and yet he goes on to be a big pro football star winning the NFL championship.

1943 Notre Dame QB Angelo Bertelli wins it but third place Otto Graham, OB at Northwestern goes on to win many championships at Cleveland Browns.

1956 Paul Hornung, OB Notre Dame wins over the great running back Jim Brown of Syracuse. The real disgrace is that Brown not only gets left off the next two places. A real red flag on this one.

1957 John David Crow, RB of Texas A&M wins over Tackle Alex Karras of Iowa who goes on to have a great NFL carreer.

1964 John Huarte QB of Notre Dame wins over Kick Brutkus, Illinois, who goes on to be a great LB in the pros.

1975, RB at Ohio States win the Heisman for the second year in a row in spite of California RB Chuck Muncie. Some sports analysis say it is more for the great 4 years Archie had than for the one year that year. Contradiction city.

1977 Texas RB Earl Campbell wins. No criticism here. This was a shoo in and Earl's carrer certainly justified it. I give credit to them for getting it right here and a few other times such as when Stauback and Jim Plunkett won.

2003 Jason White, QB, Oklahoma wins over third place Eli Manning, OB from Mississippi who goes on the be on a Super Bowl winner!

2005 Vince Young not awarded. Nuff said.

2009 Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama wins over Tim Teebow and Colt McCoy (most wins as an NCAA QB) as the media hypes how Alabama who has had great teams in the past has never had a Heisman Winner. The writers get involved with the hype.

Perhaps the biggest injustice of all follows as this was the unkindest snubb of all and it happened in the first year the Trophy was awarded in 1935:

Jay Berwanger, HB of Chicago wins. Army HB Monk Meyer wins runner up while is third place is Bill Shakespeare HB of Notre Dame. Bill goes on to write many famous plays that are to be on stage many times and many are made into great movies. These include Romeo and Juliet, Julius Caesar, King Lear, Hamlet, Much Ado About Nothing, Macbeth and others.

I think I know what they mean about misses...and I'm not a big fan of the award for many reasons..........but remember the award goes to supposedly the best college player which doesn't mean it has to translate into a successful pro career. I always wonder why a good high school player or college player can't just be that....good or great on that level...it doesn't make them a bust....................now awarding the award why does it have to always be won by an offense player...and why can a player still be the best player in country and his team lose a game.........often while following the heisman race it always seems a few player lose consideration when their team loses...I don't think that s right. I am however a fan of the awards by position.

trojandad
09-16-2010, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Phil C

Jay Berwanger, HB of Chicago wins. Army HB Monk Meyer wins runner up while is third place is Bill Shakespeare HB of Notre Dame. Bill goes on to write many famous plays that are to be on stage many times and many are made into great movies. These include Romeo and Juliet, Julius Caesar, King Lear, Hamlet, Much Ado About Nothing, Macbeth and others. [/B]

....and you, sir, are the downlow shakespeare....BRAVO!!!....:thumbsup:

BaseballUmp
09-16-2010, 04:19 PM
Hahaha interesting indeed!