PDA

View Full Version : You know what I hate

Old Tiger
09-16-2010, 12:18 PM
The talk about collegiate athletes should be paid....they are receiving a huge scholarship which is used for academic purposes because of their athletic abilities. What do the pundits of 3A Down Low think about this?

Looking4number8
09-16-2010, 12:21 PM
I think they should be alllowed to earn money. Sucks that the schools make millions off of their names and Jersy's but that cant get a penny of it. I know it is only a select few and the majority would not earn it but for those that do, they do earn it.

RoyceTTU
09-16-2010, 12:24 PM
For the sake of competition....

They should not earn money. For some of these players, the reason they play so hard is to get paid in the NFL. This is why I like to watch NCAA instead of NFL.

Too many players in the NFL have cashed there multi-year deal in and are coasting through games. Its a shame. I would hate for NCAA to be the same.

Looking4number8
09-16-2010, 12:34 PM
No arguement with you there. I dont think the school should pay them but if they have a chance to make money off their name, they should be allowed. You know, kinda like old tiger trying to sell add space on his signature line, he is the defination of amature)

Lucky2Coach
09-16-2010, 12:36 PM
Carnies...they smell like cabbage and very small hands!

Old Tiger
09-16-2010, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Looking4number8
No arguement with you there. I dont think the school should pay them but if they have a chance to make money off their name, they should be allowed. You know, kinda like old tiger trying to sell add space on his signature line, he is the defination of amature) entrepreneur is the correct term :D

Txbroadcaster
09-16-2010, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by RoyceTTU
For the sake of competition....

They should not earn money. For some of these players, the reason they play so hard is to get paid in the NFL. This is why I like to watch NCAA instead of NFL.

Too many players in the NFL have cashed there multi-year deal in and are coasting through games. Its a shame. I would hate for NCAA to be the same.

I think the whole Pro players coast once they get paid is a VERY overstated belief...does it happen?? yes..but not as much as those griping about it claim to IMO

BILLYFRED0000
09-16-2010, 01:10 PM
I have no issue if they are paid a subsistence to allow them to complete a degree but I would put that caveat on them that if they do not graduate the money comes back.

RoyceTTU
09-16-2010, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I think the whole Pro players coast once they get paid is a VERY overstated belief...does it happen?? yes..but not as much as those griping about it claim to IMO

You might be 100% correct, who could really tell, no one would ever admit to it. The reason it gets so much attention is because its the stars that are paid in the upper 10% of the cap is who it seems to happen the most.

An example off the top of my head is Haynesworth.

Also the reason I think this is because of the constant injuries many of them get. And i'm not talking about an ACL tear, I'm talking a jambed thumb, stumped toe, broken toe for that matter. I'm younger than most but I can't imagine the older generations staying out a game for such lame reasons.

But then there are players like Farve(not that I'm a fan) that blow holes in my theory. Who knows :confused:

slpybear the bullfan
09-16-2010, 01:17 PM
No pay for NCAA athletes.

The receive a full ride. That is worth some serious bucks.

I do not care how much the Universities "make off" the players. The players get a scholarship and most get fantastic exposure and opportunities to go Pro. Not many will, but they get the opportunity. In return, the Universities get more cash, which equals better paid coaches, nice facilities, TV time (more exposure), and ultimately, better athletes.

No issues to me.

OldBison75
09-16-2010, 05:31 PM
Paying college players would create a very uneven playing field in college sports. Big time schools could give major incentives to top high school recruits and "buy" them to sign up. Smaller schools would not have the money to compete and there would be huge differences in talent levels.

The only way it would work is for the NCAA to establish a set stipend to be paid to every player that makes the team roster and make it equal at every schoole in each division. However, there would still be over zealous boosters that would sneak cars and other things to the top athletes and break the rules.

Leave it like it is now and punish the crap out of schools and boosters that violate the rules.

STANG RED
09-16-2010, 06:27 PM
A guys got to be able to take his girl to the movies and nice meal on occasion. Heck yea, pay em a little. Just make it fair and even across the board to everyone. Just control it with stiff penalties for those who break the rules.

Rocket
09-16-2010, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
The talk about collegiate athletes should be paid....they are receiving a huge scholarship which is used for academic purposes because of their athletic abilities. What do the pundits of 3A Down Low think about this?

They are paid! ie. Reggie Bush

Old Tiger
09-16-2010, 08:06 PM
A lot of the poor/middle class athletes still apply for federal financial aid and get it which goes straight to their pocket.

'Necks 2013-14
09-17-2010, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by RoyceTTU
For the sake of competition

Too many players in the NFL have cashed there multi-year deal in and are coasting through games. Its a shame. I would hate for NCAA to be the same. :clap: +1

GreenMonster
09-17-2010, 12:41 AM
No money. These guys are going to school to get an education so that they can move on to a profession. If they were to get the chance to move up to the NFL, NBA, etc then they will make plenty of money. If they do not move up they have that education to fall back on. Now, I do believe that ALL student athletes should be on a full scholarship. If you make the cut then the school should wave your tuition. This would make it far less expensive on these students and if they qualify for assistance or loans then that can be put toward their other living expenses. A kid on a partial scholarship, taking a full load of classes, and not allowed to have a job (and wouldn't have time for a job anyways) is definitely at a disadvantage financially. Current NCAA rules limit the number of scholarships that schools can give out in an attempt to even the playing field between the haves and the have nots. These guys are putting it all on the line everyday for that school anyways, so why not waive their tuition? In all sports.

3afan
09-17-2010, 05:47 AM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
No pay for NCAA athletes.

The receive a full ride. That is worth some serious bucks.

I do not care how much the Universities "make off" the players. The players get a scholarship and most get fantastic exposure and opportunities to go Pro. Not many will, but they get the opportunity. In return, the Universities get more cash, which equals better paid coaches, nice facilities, TV time (more exposure), and ultimately, better athletes.

No issues to me.

very few athletes in any sport receive "full rides" ... most scholarships $ is divided up among two or more players, especially at the FCS & D-II levels

RoyceTTU
09-17-2010, 09:11 AM
This has really got my mind working so I've been doing some googling to see what other, more qualified people think about this.

I'm sticking to my guns in saying that "paid players" would play less hard than a "potential paid" player.

But I can't help but agree that it isn't 100% fair for the colleges to make all the money. I do agree that a college takes 100% of the investment risk while giving out scholorships and such so they should take 100% of the proceeds for marketing of games, TV and ticket sales.

My doubt comes in with the marketing and sales of specific jersey sales. I'll use Tim Tebow as example....I still think he shouldn't get paid DURING SCHOOL, but maybe the school should create a trust for those funds for after graduation. Further more...the athlete should have the right to purchase the rights and royalties for there number and name for the years to come. But even this is a slippery slope.

Anybody elses thoughts?

greenhornet
09-17-2010, 10:48 AM
This is a very difficult problem. There are college athletes already getting paid and it puts the universities who play by the rules at a major disadvantage. So this would be one of my main arguments FOR some type of pay for them. Another FOR argument would be that it is crazy how much money some universities profit off of these kids who never see a dime of that money other than scholarship but that really costs the U little to no actual money (another head in a class not much expense, housing/food but even slaves get that). A player taken care of financially would be a less likely victim for fixing games which happens a lot more than people think especially at the smaller D-1 levels.

Problems with paying athletes would primarily be how to regulate it and still keep playing field level. I doubt they would be paying them enough to live on for the rest of their lives so they should still be motivated to get to the NFL so I don't really see that as an issue.

Universities are still businesses and much like a playoff system they will fight to not have to pay the kids so it probably is a moot point.

pancho villa
09-17-2010, 10:52 AM
I don't think they should be paid. They get scholarships. Also they should have to have the same acceptance standards as other students.

Phantom Stang
09-17-2010, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
A guys got to be able to take his girl to the movies and nice meal on occasion. Heck yea, pay em a little. Just make it fair and even across the board to everyone. Just control it with stiff penalties for those who break the rules.
I agree. While I don't think they should be afforded a Corvette and Rolex lifestyle, there's nothing wrong with a kid coming from poverty who works his butt off for the athletic program, having the same amount of"folding change" in his pocket as the average middle class student.

LE Dad
09-17-2010, 11:53 AM
Pay no, but I would like to see some type of insuranace set up for career ending injuries. These kids are putting their a$$es on the line for a chance to make rosters and get paid. all it takes is one wrong hit and they could lose millions and there aren't too many degrees in the world that will replace the kind of $$ that the kid will lose.

pancho villa
09-17-2010, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by LE Dad
Pay no, but I would like to see some type of insuranace set up for career ending injuries. These kids are putting their a$$es on the line for a chance to make rosters and get paid. all it takes is one wrong hit and they could lose millions and there aren't too many degrees in the world that will replace the kind of $$ that the kid will lose.

You go to school to get an education!!!!

PHOP
09-17-2010, 02:55 PM
I actually like the tradition of and spirit of college sports - Paying the athletes would make them no different than the NFL.

It would ruin it for me

LE Dad
09-17-2010, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by pancho villa
You go to school to get an education!!!! Yes, but if you are an athlete and are projected to go in the 1st round of the draft... I don't think that basket weaving degree is going to help you in the event of injury. What would it cost to provide some type of blanket coverage to help compensate a seriously injured athlete. I am not talking about for a lifetime, but to just help him get back and adjust to life without sports. I know from a kid here in town that it happens and that they are basically thrown out the door, or at least he was.

RoyceTTU
09-17-2010, 03:18 PM
Is this the same? Have to love his political correctness.

Charles Barkley's statements today,

"I got money from agents when I was in college. Most of the players I know borrow money from agents," Barkley told Dan Patrick on his radio show.

He said he borrowed from two or three agents and got "Like chump change. Just walk around money." Adding "I paid them back when I went to the NBA."

"Let me tell you something, these agents are well known, and they've been giving kids money for 30 years, and I have no problem with it. Borrowing money from an agent ain't the same as a college paying you."

My question to this, why can't his parents go borrow money for him if he's such a sure thing?