PDA

View Full Version : Two Prosper players win eligibility appeal; one denied

marler1972
09-15-2010, 12:03 PM
Comments 0 | Recommend 0

Two Prosper players win eligibility appeal; one denied
Rainer Sabin / Reporter Bio | E-mail | News tips

AUSTIN -- The University Interscholastic League state executive committee Tuesday sided with two brothers who filed an eligibility appeal, but there are more hurdles to clear as they attempt to play football at Prosper

Shay and Quay McConic, junior running backs and linebackers who transferred from Frisco Heritage this summer, had been denied eligibility by the District 11-3A committee. At issue was whether they enrolled at Prosper for athletic purposes, which is forbidden by UIL rules. The McConics, according to father Morris Jackson, are living in Frisco but are in the process of building a house in the Prosper ISD attendance that Jackson said is expected to be completed in November.

Jackson said they will have to file a waiver because they currently live outside Prosper ISD boundaries.

"We just want to do the right thing," he said.

Frisco Heritage coach Kent Jackson testified against the McConics and said they were among the best athletes in a program that is in its inaugural varsity season. The siblings showed little emotion during the proceedings until the decision had been rendered.

"Overjoyed and relieved," said Quay, who hugged his brother.

That wasn't the sentiment felt Prosper junior running back/cornerback Nick Davis . Davis, who had also transferred from Frisco Heritage, was denied his appeal to be reinstated after his move was questioned for the same reason as the McConics'.

Send_the_House
09-15-2010, 12:29 PM
It is too bad that one young man can't play varsity ball now... No doubt grown ups ruined it for him.

Ranger Mom
09-15-2010, 01:23 PM
Isn't Kent Jackson Sweetwater's old coach??

ccmom
09-15-2010, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Isn't Kent Jackson Sweetwater's old coach??

Yes ma'am...

#1 TEXAN
09-15-2010, 07:34 PM
How much will these two boys help the taem does anyone know?

Z-RO
09-15-2010, 08:07 PM
I am going to have to side with Kent on this one

BullsFan
09-15-2010, 08:28 PM
It sounds kind of fishy to me. Three players move from one school to the same school at the same time? I know two of them are brothers, but it still doesn't sound like a coincidence.

DukeNukem
09-15-2010, 08:53 PM
This goes on in the metroplex all the time from my understanding. UIL should not have granted this. Seems to me, the UIL helps out who they want and not others.

Z-RO
09-15-2010, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by DukeNukem
This goes on in the metroplex all the time from my understanding. UIL should not have granted this. Seems to me, the UIL helps out who they want and not others.

***DING DING DING*** we have a winner

Txbroadcaster
09-15-2010, 10:14 PM
this is why IMO the rule about athletic reasons is stupid..basically the UIL gets into the mind of parents and decide intent

Farmersfan
09-16-2010, 08:21 AM
If the kids are currently living in Frisco waiting for the house to be completed in Prosper then why couldn't they play in Frisco????? The season is basically over before they will be able to physically move. If playing football was their ONLY intent they could do so in Frisco. Seems pretty obvious to me!