PDA

View Full Version : Postgame Video from the Battle of the Bell

BaseballUmp
09-14-2010, 10:03 PM
KMIL (http://kmil.com/yoemenclaimthebell.php)

Yoe_09
09-14-2010, 10:09 PM
Too bad Navasota wont let us bring the bell on the field...guess we will have to wait until Hearne.

banderafan
09-14-2010, 10:28 PM
I have to ask, what is the history/story of the "Battle of the Bell". I've seen it mentioned here several times over the years. I honestly don't know.

BaseballUmp
09-14-2010, 10:54 PM
According to the History of Rockdale, Milam County Website, (and, yes, I am quoting word-for-word here):
The Rockdale-Cameron game is one of the state’s best rivalry games.Since 1954, the winner has proudly rung a big brass victory bell, which is symbolic of Milam County football supremacy. The bell, taken from a steam locomotive, was donated to the two schools by the Rockdale, Sandow & Southern Railroad in 1954. Bragging rights to Milam County football supremacy come with the bell; therefore, the two communities encourage their charges to bring home the brass beauty for another year. Over the years the bell has helped fuel one of Texas high school football’s longest and most-storied rivalries.

That same bell was the one that we fought over when I was in high school. I was proud when the bell came back to Cameron one year, we did repaint it the more traditional half maroon and gray (Cameron) and half blue and gold (Rockdale). It didn’t last though, and each year it went back to being painted the color of whatever school had it for that year.

The bell broke multiple times over the years, and one time was actually stolen and thrown into the Little River (which runs through Milam County). The rivalry could get as ugly and nasty as any college rivalry.

As I said, the bell broke many times over, and in 2001 it was replaced with a new, almost identical, brass bell by Yoe High School graduate Catherine Thomas. Fitting considering the fact that my CAMERON YOEMEN hold the winning record for the series. According to a post on the Cameron Yoeman Facebook page, we won 38 times in the 55 meetings: 1954, 1955, 1957, 1958, 1960, 1964, 1965, 1969, 1971-75, 1978, 1979, 1981-87, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1996 – 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008

banderafan
09-14-2010, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp
According to the History of Rockdale, Milam County Website, (and, yes, I am quoting word-for-word here):
The Rockdale-Cameron game is one of the state’s best rivalry games.Since 1954, the winner has proudly rung a big brass victory bell, which is symbolic of Milam County football supremacy. The bell, taken from a steam locomotive, was donated to the two schools by the Rockdale, Sandow & Southern Railroad in 1954. Bragging rights to Milam County football supremacy come with the bell; therefore, the two communities encourage their charges to bring home the brass beauty for another year. Over the years the bell has helped fuel one of Texas high school football’s longest and most-storied rivalries.

That same bell was the one that we fought over when I was in high school. I was proud when the bell came back to Cameron one year, we did repaint it the more traditional half maroon and gray (Cameron) and half blue and gold (Rockdale). It didn’t last though, and each year it went back to being painted the color of whatever school had it for that year.

The bell broke multiple times over the years, and one time was actually stolen and thrown into the Little River (which runs through Milam County). The rivalry could get as ugly and nasty as any college rivalry.

As I said, the bell broke many times over, and in 2001 it was replaced with a new, almost identical, brass bell by Yoe High School graduate Catherine Thomas. Fitting considering the fact that my CAMERON YOEMEN hold the winning record for the series. According to a post on the Cameron Yoeman Facebook page, we won 38 times in the 55 meetings: 1954, 1955, 1957, 1958, 1960, 1964, 1965, 1969, 1971-75, 1978, 1979, 1981-87, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1996 – 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008

Thanks! That is awesome! Hondo rings a bell (win or lose I think) mounted at their field, at the end of their games. I'm sure it has an interesting history/story also.

jrobles
09-17-2010, 01:26 PM
Hondo does have a huge bell permanently located at the entrance to the football playing field they ring after every game Won. (Home or away) One ring for every point scored.

http://my.hsj.org/Schools/Newspaper/tabid/100/view/frontpage/schoolid/459/articleid/74100/newspaperid/435/Victory_Bell_tradition_rings_on_through_community. aspx

Victory Bell tradition rings on through community
Monday, December 12, 2005 By Brittany DuPlessis

Ringing the victory bell has been a tradition to the students of Hondo High School for as long as most of us can remember; yet few know the history behind the bell and how the tradition originally began.

In 1904, Hondo opened the original high school building, which is now what we know as the bus barn.

In those days, the building was two stories high and a certain bell sat on top. The bell served the purpose of beginning and ending the school day

In the 1920’s, the school was cut down to one story and the bell had to be removed. The bell ended up staying in the schoolyard for decades.

The tradition of the victory bell began in the 1970’s, when the bell was moved north of Barry Field. The football team began ringing the bell after victories and the tradition has survived until this day.

Now that we know the story behind the bell, we can explore the somewhat controversial subject of who can and cannot ring it.

If one were to ask a football player’s opinion on the subject, a common opinion will be that the bell is meant solely for their team.

On the other hand, most volleyball girls will argue that the bell should be for any team that has a victory.

Practically everyone at HHS has an opinion on the subject, but whose opinion really counts?

The most obvious answer is the principal, or even the superintendent of the school district.

The principal, Larry Carroll, believes that anyone should be able to ring the bell if they have received a victory, as long as they do so at an appropriate time.

The superintendent, Clyde Parsons, also stated that there is “no reason why other teams couldn’t” ring the bell. His opinion is that the only reason the football team has the tradition is because of the bell’s location.

Both Carroll and Parson share the idea that the bell should be rung by anyone who is privileged enough to earn a victory.

No matter whom you ask, the fact remains that the victory bell symbolizes Hondo pride and our tradition of excellence.

We should celebrate our history and traditions, not dispute among ourselves. We have the responsibility to set a positive example and maintain our traditions for future generations.

There is no question that the Owls will be ringing the victory bell for years to come. We Owls must and will ensure that Hondo pride and tradition stays alive.

Given the storied history of the bell it is evident that it wasn’t placed at the north end of Barry Field to be used only by the football team, but was placed there as a matter of convenience when the track was built.

Any Hondo team who earns a victory has earned the honor of ringing the victory bell. In order to uphold our “honor and glory,” we must continue the tradition—allowing all Owls to participate.