PDA

View Full Version : I know why Brownwood is so good

Emerson1
09-11-2010, 10:38 PM
they have big, intimidating traffic lights.

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/1192/bwood2.jpg

Eagle 1
09-11-2010, 10:42 PM
That was the dumbest thing the state department ever done.
There use to be a traffic circle there that was much better.

bwdlionfan
09-11-2010, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by Eagle 1

I agree that stoplight looks stupid... the way it was for the last 10-15 years was better... but the circle was not better. There is no such thing as a good traffic circle. The story I was told on why the circle was taken out was largely due to a high speed chase that came in on 67 through Brownwood. The guy who was running from police went right through the middle of the circle and T-boned a family... killing one or more of them.

Eagle 1
09-11-2010, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by bwdlionfan
I agree that stoplight looks stupid... the way it was for the last 10-15 years was better... but the circle was not better. There is no such thing as a good traffic circle. The story I was told on why the circle was taken out was largely due to a high speed chase that came in on 67 through Brownwood. The guy who was running from police went right through the middle of the circle and T-boned a family... killing one or more of them.

He could have ran through a red light and done the same thing.
I remember reading somewhere that traffic circles actually have less accidents than red lights....(in the same locations of course)

bwdlionfan
09-11-2010, 10:55 PM
He could have ran through a red light and done the same thing.
I remember reading somewhere that traffic circles actually have less accidents than red lights....(in the same locations of course)

I don't see how... the one in Ft Worth at 183 and 377 is pure hell.... half the people that drive on it don't know who is supposed to yield to who.

The one around the courthouse in Weatherford sucks too

BEAST
09-11-2010, 10:56 PM
Of course, anything done in Brownwood is wrong according to you.

BEAST

bwdlionfan
09-11-2010, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by BEAST

BEAST

I wonder why he even cares... oh yea... his little podunk town doesn't even have a Wal Mart so he has to come to Bwood

Eagle 1
09-11-2010, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by BEAST

BEAST

I said the state department screwed that one up, not the city of Brownwood.

wimbo_pro
09-11-2010, 11:02 PM
I wonder why he even cares... oh yea... his little podunk town doesn't even have a Wal Mart so he has to come to Bwood

You have a WalMart????

Eagle 1
09-11-2010, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro
You have a WalMart????

Well if you want to call it that.

OldBison75
09-11-2010, 11:10 PM
So, did they put one light up for each state vhampionship you guys have won? I guess they will have to add a new turn lane or something after this year, huh!!!!!

Eagle 1
09-11-2010, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by OldBison75
So, did they put one light up for each state vhampionship you guys have won? I guess they will have to add a new turn lane or something after this year, huh!!!!!

Im not sure about that, but I think the rings have been ordered and the trophy engraved.;)

spaniard
09-12-2010, 02:32 AM
i guess the brownwood posters are starting to get like us burnet posters back in the mcgee/shipley days, hehe. i remember a thread about burnet playing the chiefs...good times, good times indeed :D

Emerson1
09-12-2010, 08:17 AM
Bwood is no where near Burnet's level. Burnet averaged 15,000 fans a game and they had the stadium filled by 5:00 on gameday reserved and all.

Rocket
09-12-2010, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Bwood is no where near Burnet's level. Burnet averaged 15,000 fans a game and they had the stadium filled by 5:00 on gameday reserved and all.

We will have that by the time the playoffs roll around. Brownwood fans are very fairweather. Once we start winning, they will come out of the woodworks.

Matthew328
09-12-2010, 08:44 AM
There is a light just like that at Hwy 26 and Precinct Line Rd. in N Richland Hills just south of the Birdville FAAC....the first thing I said when I noticed it was "hey that's the Brownwood stop light!"

Trashman
09-12-2010, 09:00 AM

The traffic circle was taken out due to the amount of accidents involving deaths at such low speeds. Since it was taken out there have been fewer accidents and no deaths. :rolleyes:

STANG RED
09-12-2010, 09:09 AM
I hate traffic circles. Glad that one is gone. Always hated that one, coming into Lubbock from this side. Glad it's gone as well.

Ranger Mom
09-12-2010, 09:25 AM

The one around the courthouse in Weatherford sucks too

Being someone who had never even seen a traffic circle, I totally agree!!

I circled that thing countless times trying to figure out what in the heck I was supposed to do!!

Looking4number8
09-12-2010, 09:26 AM
I miss the old traffic circle although I do understand why it was removed. It was awesome in the 60's as a young boy when they kept the water fountain flowing with the colored lights. Here is a daylight picture, anybody have one of it at night with the lights?

http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo24/ivan1961/trafficcircle.jpg

BwdLions
09-12-2010, 10:10 AM

This is one of the dumbest posts I've read in a while. Of course seeing where the poster is from, it makes perfect sense. I would bet the attendance wasn't half of what you're claiming. Yes, the Burnet teams back then were great. No one here is comparing us to any other team or fanbase. I know people like you will start coming out of the woodwork now that Brownwood is getting some attention. That's alright, have your fun.

bwdlionfan
09-12-2010, 10:20 AM

The 2000 census had Burnet's population at 4735 so I find it hard to believe that their side had 3 times their city's population. Also, Burnet's stadium barely seats more that half of what Gordon Wood seats, so a smaller crowd will look bigger as there will be a lot more over flow.

BwdLion73
09-12-2010, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Rocket
We will have that by the time the playoffs roll around. Brownwood fans are very fairweather. Once we start winning, they will come out of the woodworks.

Guess you missed the game, It was standing room only on Brownwoods side. They seemed pretty vocal as well for fair weather fans.:(

3afan
09-12-2010, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by BwdLions
This is one of the dumbest posts I've read in a while. Of course seeing where the poster is from, it makes perfect sense. I would bet the attendance wasn't half of what you're claiming. Yes, the Burnet teams back then were great. No one here is comparing us to any other team or fanbase. I know people like you will start coming out of the woodwork now that Brownwood is getting some attention. That's alright, have your fun.

dude - it was an old 3ADL inside joke ...

Eagle 1
09-12-2010, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by BwdLion73
Guess you missed the game, It was standing room only on Brownwoods side. They seemed pretty vocal as well for fair weather fans.:(

http://i55.tinypic.com/2346mc.gif

BwdLion73
09-12-2010, 11:09 AM
http://i55.tinypic.com/2346mc.gif

Watch it E-1 or we will post a photo of your flashing light intersection and Dollar Store.

:kiss:

Eagle 1
09-12-2010, 11:26 AM
Watch it E-1 or we will post a photo of your flashing light intersection and Dollar Store.

:kiss:
Hey we have two redlights and that's two too many. :)

mwynn05
09-12-2010, 11:36 AM
This is one of the dumbest posts I've read in a while. Of course seeing where the poster is from, it makes perfect sense. I would bet the attendance wasn't half of what you're claiming. Yes, the Burnet teams back then were great. No one here is comparing us to any other team or fanbase. I know people like you will start coming out of the woodwork now that Brownwood is getting some attention. That's alright, have your fun. lol....if you had been here longer you would understand...pretty sure burnet would have beat the kansas city chiefs that yr too

BwdLion_80
09-12-2010, 11:44 AM
Hey we have two redlights and that's two too many. :)

I guess what I don't understand is, why in the heck do y'all have a stop light at a convience store parking lot? I have never seen a town where you have to wait at a red light to leave a convience store parking lot.

Eagle 1
09-12-2010, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by BwdLion_80
I guess what I don't understand is, why in the heck do y'all have a stop light at a convience store parking lot? I have never seen a town where you have to wait at a red light to leave a convience store parking lot.

Come by here on the weekend sometime and you will understand.
That store does a lot of business on the weekend with passing through traffic, or at lunch time during the week with all the hs kids.

SintonFan
09-12-2010, 11:59 AM

Why be hostile? His statement was a very old joke from about 7 years ago. :rolleyes:
There's some history there. I agree Burnet would have beaten the Chiefs, too.:D

sinton66
09-12-2010, 12:51 PM

You'd probably lose that bet. The 2002 Region 4 title game between Sinton and Burnet set an all time attendance record for the (then) Bobcat Stadium at Texas State, The seating capacity at that time was more than 15000, it was filled to the brim and there were huge crowds on both sides standing at ground level and up on the concourses. Texas State expanded the capacity of the stadium a few years later (2009, I think).

Ranger Mom
09-12-2010, 01:33 PM
LOL!! I guess posters that have been here for 3 or 4 years can still be considered "newbies" at times!!!!

Burnet vs Kansas City Chiefs was CLASSIC!!!!

Looking4number8
09-12-2010, 01:39 PM
Any Brownwood people remember when Cleburne was good and in our district. Sometime in the 80's they had to move a regular season game to TCU stadium. I was living in elsewhere at the time but I remember reading that this regular season game drew a crazy large crowd. Does anyone remember the numbers.. the two numbers that stick in my head are 25,000 and 40,000... seems like they expected 40 but got 25... shoot I dont know but I do remember it being crazy

I know my facts are not perfect here.. anybody have the correct info

Trashman
09-12-2010, 01:43 PM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs153.ash2/41008_1408516014238_1272585473_2752124_7180084_n.j pg

Standing room only at Gordon Wood stadium, BWD vs Stephenville.

BwdLions
09-12-2010, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Looking4number8
Any Brownwood people remember when Cleburne was good and in our district. Sometime in the 80's they had to move a regular season game to TCU stadium. I was living in elsewhere at the time but I remember reading that this regular season game drew a crazy large crowd. Does anyone remember the numbers.. the two numbers that stick in my head are 25,000 and 40,000... seems like they expected 40 but got 25... shoot I dont know but I do remember it being crazy

I know my facts are not perfect here.. anybody have the correct info

I played in that game. Counting a scrimmage against Paris, we played in Amon Carter 3 times in 1982.

As far as my reaction to Emerson's post, I plead ignorance. I should have known. You got me. :blush:

Emerson1
09-12-2010, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Trashman
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs153.ash2/41008_1408516014238_1272585473_2752124_7180084_n.j pg

Having a small stadium helps ;)

sinton66
09-12-2010, 02:29 PM

LOl! I tried searching for some of the pics of that '02 R4 game, but can't find them.

Emerson1
09-12-2010, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
LOl! I tried searching for some of the pics of that '02 R4 game, but can't find them.
Or Forney v. Everman 2001 at Pennington.

Looking4number8
09-12-2010, 02:37 PM

I think we seat around 8500

sinton66
09-12-2010, 02:41 PM
The 2003 R4 Championship between Sinton and Burnet did a fair job of filling up Buccaneer Stadium in Corpus Christi too.

DDBooger
09-12-2010, 02:50 PM
The 2003 R4 Championship between Sinton and Burnet did a fair job of filling up Buccaneer Stadium in Corpus Christi too. When we played La Marque there in '97 they brought in seating that encircled the whole field. Huge crowd. Not a bad place for a playoff game. Have they put in turf there?

sinton66
09-12-2010, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
When we played La Marque there in '97 they brought in seating that encircled the whole field. Huge crowd. Not a bad place for a playoff game. Have they put in turf there?

No, but I read they are at Cabaniss.

spaniard
09-13-2010, 11:13 AM
The 2003 R4 Championship between Sinton and Burnet did a fair job of filling up Buccaneer Stadium in Corpus Christi too.

yall were dirty for making us come down to corpus for that one :D. we ended up making the best of it :P good times though, i would love to see my alma mater return to that level of play again. and as for you all you brownwood posters, do a search all the way back to the 2003-2004 era and check out all the idiocy that went on between burnet posters and the rest of the forum...i will admit that homerism was running rampant the entirety of those two seasons

jason
09-13-2010, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Trashman

those were students - not overflow crowd...

there were plenty of empty seats on the stephenville side and there were spots on the brownwood side that were empty...

i dont believe for one second that it was a sellout crowd and that standing room only was necessary...

some might have chosen to stand because the number (and location) of general admission seats is crappy compared to reserved seats but it wasn't due to a sellout...

BwdLion73
09-13-2010, 12:09 PM
I was standing the first half and not by choice. There were some seats on the Stepenville side but not a whole lot. I give their fans credit, a lot of them stayed and supported the Jackets which had to be painful. I thought it was a good crowd for both sides and felt Brownwood fans really showed a lot of support. The cans got quite and the Bells got louder. :)

Rocket
09-13-2010, 12:33 PM
I was standing the first half and not by choice. There were some seats on the Stepenville side but not a whole lot. I give their fans credit, a lot of them stayed and supported the Jackets which had to be painful. I thought it was a good crowd for both sides and felt Brownwood fans really showed a lot of support. The cans got quite and the Bells got louder. :)

Yeah they sat and watched their big heads get deflated by a team they beat 35-0 the year before and a 3A at that... LOL

The Silence of the Cans Part II

Rocket
09-13-2010, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by jason

there were plenty of empty seats on the stephenville side and there were spots on the brownwood side that were empty...

i dont believe for one second that it was a sellout crowd and that standing room only was necessary...

some might have chosen to stand because the number (and location) of general admission seats is crappy compared to reserved seats but it wasn't due to a sellout...

It was a sellout crowd on the Brownwood side. Just because people don't show up doesn't mean it didn't sell out. :rolleyes:

Why would any Brownwood fan want to go sit on Stephenville's side? Also, I guess there were people from Sville that knew they were about to get destroyed and decided not to come.:clap:

Trashman
09-13-2010, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by jason

:doh: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :foul: :lies:

Trashman
09-13-2010, 03:23 PM

At least we have our own stadium...:devil:

lostaussie
09-13-2010, 03:31 PM
No, but I read they are at Cabaniss. You can't play football in a field of canibis!!