PDA

View Full Version : Giddings?

Pudlugger
09-11-2010, 11:40 AM
What happened? No one from either team is posting. Sounds like a great game.:confused:

1st and goal
09-11-2010, 12:34 PM
I was working but tried to listen to the last few minutes on the radio. Between the static and road noise, the Buffs scored a td with only about 1:30 left on the clock. Went for 2 and at 1st the hosts both said he was in but the refs said not so. That had the score at 21-20
Buffs successfully kicked an onside kick and drove it to the 17 or so and there was 5 seconds left and a penalty. The refs set the ball and started the clock catching the Buffs not quite prepared to kick a field goal and time ran out.

I did hear them say it was another bad night of fumbles and penalties. I heard Lavernia have 2 flagrant personal fouls in the last few minutes. Its tough to beat Lavernia at their house. I heard they have new artificial turf field too.

LV_Bearfan
09-11-2010, 01:58 PM
La Vernia defense was gassed at the end. giddings fumbled the ball before crossing the goal line on the 2pt conv., and LV rrecovered, so score was 21,20. Giddings gets the onside kick. LV stuffs giddings drive at LV 40, but the ref calls a phantom facemask on a beautiful tackle to give Giddings a first down at the 25. LV stops Giddings on two run plays, and Giddings gets a sloppy procedure penalty. time runs out before they can attempt a FG.

LV_Bearfan
09-11-2010, 02:10 PM
all that said, it was a fairly clean game. the personal fouls on both teams were mostly facemasks or otherwise accidental. neither team played dirty. good hitting on both sides. lv is good enough to beat anyone but could lose just as easily as evidenced by last week.

wimbo_pro
09-11-2010, 02:13 PM
Well, we are going to be tested then, cuz we plan on beating La Vernia in La Vernia!

YTBulldogs
09-11-2010, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by LV_Bearfan
La Vernia defense was gassed at the end. giddings fumbled the ball before crossing the goal line on the 2pt conv., and LV rrecovered, so score was 21,20. Giddings gets the onside kick. LV stuffs giddings drive at LV 40, but the ref calls a phantom facemask on a beautiful tackle to give Giddings a first down at the 25. LV stops Giddings on two run plays, and Giddings gets a sloppy procedure penalty. time runs out before they can attempt a FG.

The fumbled 2 pt conversion by Giddings was fumbled prior to runner crossing GL. The ball was recovered by Giddings (not LaVernia) in EZ. BUT, wasn't recovered by the fumbler (Giddings QB). Only the fumbler can recover an advanced fumble on extra points and 4th down plays.

hookandladder
09-11-2010, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by YTBulldogs
The fumbled 2 pt conversion by Giddings was fumbled prior to runner crossing GL. The ball was recovered by Giddings (not LaVernia) in EZ. BUT, wasn't recovered by the fumbler (Giddings QB). Only the fumbler can recover an advanced fumble on extra points and 4th down plays.

That rule would be one that most fans would forget, me included. Thanks for the info.

wimbo_pro
09-11-2010, 02:32 PM

What about 3rd down? Or 2nd down?

YTBulldogs
09-11-2010, 02:34 PM
Anyone can advance/recover other than those other 2 times, 4th down and conversions.

Defense can always advance a fumble regardless of down and situation I might add.

wimbo_pro
09-11-2010, 02:41 PM
Got it. Thanks!

Falcongrad&Dad
09-11-2010, 02:41 PM
Great info...had no idea. Two weeks in a row Giddings had close games. Sure they will get it together by district play.

YTBulldogs
09-11-2010, 02:42 PM
Reason for this rule:

It prevents the ball carrier from tossing ball into EZ when he's about to be tackled before scoring.

gtownfan
09-11-2010, 03:01 PM
Reason for this rule:

It prevents the ball carrier from tossing ball into EZ when he's about to be tackled before scoring.

What about the clock starting immediately after a penalty?

The situation was Giddings ran a play, got a first down and the ball was spotted by the ref. Giddings snapped the ball and spiked it, but the line was not set and got a procedure penalty. When the ref marked it off and spotted the ball, the clock started right away.

Was this correct due to procedure penalty?

Also, the phantom face mask earlier was a legit call. He grab him by the mask and spun him completely around. It was right at the 50 in front of the visitor stands - rather obvious call.

YTBulldogs
09-11-2010, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by gtownfan
What about the clock starting immediately after a penalty?

The situation was Giddings ran a play, got a first down and the ball was spotted by the ref. Giddings snapped the ball and spiked it, but the line was not set and got a procedure penalty. When the ref marked it off and spotted the ball, the clock started right away.

Was this correct due to procedure penalty?

Also, the phantom face mask earlier was a legit call. He grab him by the mask and spun him completely around. It was right at the 50 in front of the visitor stands - rather obvious call.

The penalty came before the spike. RB was never set in Giddings hurrying to get it spiked. Thus, no play. After the mark off of 5 yards, the clock starts.

gtownfan
09-11-2010, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by 1st and goal
I was working but tried to listen to the last few minutes on the radio. Between the static and road noise, the Buffs scored a td with only about 1:30 left on the clock. Went for 2 and at 1st the hosts both said he was in but the refs said not so. That had the score at 21-20
Buffs successfully kicked an onside kick and drove it to the 17 or so and there was 5 seconds left and a penalty. The refs set the ball and started the clock catching the Buffs not quite prepared to kick a field goal and time ran out.

I did hear them say it was another bad night of fumbles and penalties. I heard Lavernia have 2 flagrant personal fouls in the last few minutes. Its tough to beat Lavernia at their house. I heard they have new artificial turf field too.

The coaching was also had a bad night. Our only punt of the game, we had 9 players on the field and ended up burning a time out. On the onside kick, we had time to discuss and plan. Then send 10 players on the field. Fans were screaming to get the 11th on the field and finally got the attention of the coaches in the press box, who relayed this to the coaches on the field.

Then lets talk about the play we ran with 40 plus seconds left. Coaches took 20 seconds to send in the play (heck, we ran basically the same play all night), little Fitz did not snap it right away and then we called a timeout, burning 24 seconds for nothing. Coach Fitz screaming at the team when it should have been him and his coaching staff that should have taken the heat for that one.

Clock management has never been a strong point of our coach.

gtownfan
09-11-2010, 03:09 PM
The penalty came before the spike. RB was never set in Giddings hurrying to get it spiked. Thus, no play. After the mark off of 5 yards, the clock starts.

That's what I figured. Coach should have had them ready to go with either the field goal or another spike.

YTBulldogs
09-11-2010, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by gtownfan
The coaching was also had a bad night. Our only punt of the game, we had 9 players on the field and ended up burning a time out. On the onside kick, we had time to discuss and plan. Then send 10 players on the field. Fans were screaming to get the 11th on the field and finally got the attention of the coaches in the press box, who relayed this to the coaches on the field.

Then lets talk about the play we ran with 40 plus seconds left. Coaches took 20 seconds to send in the play (heck, we ran basically the same play all night), little Fitz did not snap it right away and then we called a timeout, burning 24 seconds for nothing. Coach Fitz screaming at the team when it should have been him and his coaching staff that should have taken the heat for that one.

Clock management has never been a strong point of our coach.

gtownfan, I agree with your view of the clock management and wasting critical timeots early in the 4th because you have 9 players out there for a punt. Never know when you'll need them TO's.

Also, why didn't he kick a FG in the 3rd from the 10 on 4th and goal? Score was 14-14 then. I seen that kicker booming 45 yarders in warmups. Heard he missed some extra points last week. Sure would of gained that kickers confidence for down the road.

Coach had a bad night I guess. We all have those.

gtownfan
09-11-2010, 03:20 PM
gtownfan, I agree with your view of the clock management and wasting critical timeots early in the 4th because you have 9 players out there for a punt. Never know when you'll need them TO's.

Also, why didn't he kick a FG in the 3rd from the 10 on 4th and goal? Score was 14-14 then. I seen that kicker booming 45 yarders in warmups. Heard he missed some extra points last week. Sure would of gained that kickers confidence for down the road.

Coach had a bad night I guess. We all have those.

Agreed, that would have been the great spot to let the kicker have a shot. Might have given the whole team a boost. We didn't have many plays all night long that went over 10, so getting a 4th and 10 at the 10 was a very low percentage call (especially running the ball).

gtownfan
09-11-2010, 03:37 PM
BTW, La Vernia played a great game! Their defense was tough and I was impressed that #66 went both ways, played almost the whole game and instrumental in clogging up the middle. The heat and humidity was very rough last night.

Nice stadium! La Vernia and Giddings are doing the same thing. Giddings will soon be flipping the visitors and home sides.

Wish La Vernia would have upgraded their web site with Visitor parking instructions. Still tells visitors to park in the park, which I did and had to walk a long way to the visitors side, not to mention the walk after the game through the home fans.

GiddingsFan
09-11-2010, 03:54 PM
Wow!
Is anyone going to say how the referees sucked?

Calling a sideline penalty on the second play?

wimbo_pro
09-11-2010, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by GiddingsFan
Wow!

He didnt give a warning?

GiddingsFan
09-11-2010, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro
He didnt give a warning?

Warning or not! Second play of the game! I don't know if I saw a warning. We were just getting started!

YTBulldogs
09-11-2010, 03:59 PM
You don't get warnings anymore. That rule changed 2 years ago. 1st one is 5 yds, 2nd is 5 yards, each additional is 15 big ones.

GiddingsFan
09-11-2010, 04:02 PM
I thought it was quite picky the second play of the game.

I know we lost and all that, but the refs were very one sided and I can't believe no other people are mentioning it.

Anyhow, on to another week. Elgin then WO-S. ..

YTBulldogs
09-11-2010, 04:07 PM
I thought it was quite picky the second play of the game.

It's a safety issue GF. For coaches, players and officials. Regardless if it's the 1st, 2nd or 90th play of game. Stay out of the white at the snap. Ask that poor coach from SA Breckenridge, who can no longer walk.

gtownfan
09-11-2010, 05:31 PM
Wow!

Flags were pretty fair and the ones called on Giddings were usually right. Some dumb ones on our part, the late hit. Worst one was the holding on our #70 and the LV guy still made the tackle for a loss.

I thought the spotting of the ball by the linesman on the Giddings side was suspect throughout the game. he was always 1 yard in LV's favor versus the linesman on the other side.

But this one can't be blamed on the officials.

GiddingsFan
09-11-2010, 05:38 PM
I am not blaming this on the officials.

Snotbubbles
09-11-2010, 06:26 PM
Being an outsider, just attending some games that I think will be good---this one was very exciting. Made you stay till the end. This my first post, had to tell both schools you represented well. Awesome game.

Giddings fans--- why don't the Buff's throw the ball? Not one pass all night and you had some fine wideouts, plus LV was creaping into the box the entire second half to stop the run. Is that QB the coaches kid? If so, dad so big, boy so small:)

LV, fine facility you have. Kid's today are so lucky to play on something that nice.

Thanks Giddings/LV for a entertaining game. Best wishes to both fine schools.

LV_Bearfan
09-11-2010, 06:51 PM
i think the kid (#1) from lv carrying most of the giddings d for five yds at a time in the third qtr had more to do with the W than the officiating.....by the way, #28 for giddings is an absolute stud

zebrablue2
09-11-2010, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Snotbubbles
Being an outsider, just attending some games that I think will be good---this one was very exciting. Made you stay till the end. This my first post, had to tell both schools you represented well. Awesome game.

Giddings fans--- why don't the Buff's throw the ball? Not one pass all night and you had some fine wideouts, plus LV was creaping into the box the entire second half to stop the run. Is that QB the coaches kid? If so, dad so big, boy so small:)

LV, fine facility you have. Kid's today are so lucky to play on something that nice.

Thanks Giddings/LV for a entertaining game. Best wishes to both fine schools.

great 1st post, and welcome to the board!! on the sideline warning: this is gone over with the head coach in the pregame, and this being the 3rd game of the season, they all know the rule. 2ed play of the game sets the tone for the rest of the night. safety issue, get back or be penalized.. taso and uil expect this to be enforced..

Snotbubbles
09-11-2010, 07:05 PM
ZBlue, never understood why they gave a warning a few years ago anyways. Infraction is a infraction, and they don't give a warning on a clip or block in the back:)

Also, why can't coaches coach 3 yards further back, and in their assigned area? Can you coach better up in the officials area?

XMan
09-11-2010, 08:53 PM
Giddings have any potential players that are sitting out football to concentrate on baseball this year?

1st and goal
09-11-2010, 09:19 PM
If memory serves me right, I think the last time we played in LaVernia, we got a sidelines call on us. We respect Lavernia and I feel they respect us. They nearly beat us last year in a lightning delayed game that we came from behind to win.

I think the biggest reason the Buffs lost to Royal was also because we didn't throw one single time.:rolleyes: They had ZERO respect for a pass so the box was loaded with 3.66 guys coming at each potential runner like laser beams. Yes, we got 31 points and some yards but, BR figured it out and really made it tough on us most of the game. Too many plays we were met at the line and stuffed. These plays take a toll and a bunch of time off the clock, so we'll never score a whole bunch of points with this offense. I hope the coach is holding out. I've seen one pass attempt against Burnet and the ball was slightly overthrown. It would have been a TD.

Yes, #28 has some speed and can scamper. He's also fumbled a bunch but he's young. Maybe even a sophomore (not totally sure). He's learning and really exciting to watch tho'!!!

Was #65 for the Buffs playing? If so, is he back to full strength?

lvfan12
09-12-2010, 04:19 PM
The facemask call was on the 20 yard line.. not 50. and on film it was clearly not a facemask.. the hand of the DE touched the facemask and then reached around and grabbed the shoulder pad. If the facemask call had been correct then the buffs wouldnt have even had a chance to score.. Give it up for La Vernia who holds Giddings to 20 points! who is known for a high powered offense.. refs had nothing to do with the Bear victory and this game was one that will be remembered.

GiddingsFan
09-12-2010, 04:25 PM
Buffs will come out ahead from these losses. Kids took this one really hard. Don't count us out yet.

MJMbrahmas10
09-12-2010, 05:07 PM
how is lil fitzhenry doing?

LV_Bearfan
09-12-2010, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by 1st and goal
If memory serves me right, I think the last time we played in LaVernia, we got a sidelines call on us. We respect Lavernia and I feel they respect us. They nearly beat us last year in a lightning delayed game that we came from behind to win.

I think the biggest reason the Buffs lost to Royal was also because we didn't throw one single time.:rolleyes: They had ZERO respect for a pass so the box was loaded with 3.66 guys coming at each potential runner like laser beams. Yes, we got 31 points and some yards but, BR figured it out and really made it tough on us most of the game. Too many plays we were met at the line and stuffed. These plays take a toll and a bunch of time off the clock, so we'll never score a whole bunch of points with this offense. I hope the coach is holding out. I've seen one pass attempt against Burnet and the ball was slightly overthrown. It would have been a TD.

Yes, #28 has some speed and can scamper. He's also fumbled a bunch but he's young. Maybe even a sophomore (not totally sure). He's learning and really exciting to watch tho'!!!

Was #65 for the Buffs playing? If so, is he back to full strength?

I agree. Giddings has so much talent. It must be frustrating to watch for Buffalo fans. Just a few passes a game would make a big difference. LV didn't throw it much either, but the few times they did really forced Giddings to respect the pass. #12 for Giddngs is also a stud but didn't touch the ball enough. It's so hard to win when other teams bring 10 men into the box, even if you are much more physically gifted. There's no reason why Giddings should be counted out. That team is capable of so much.