PDA

View Full Version : Cuero Gobblers @ (4A)Port Lavaca Sandcrabs

CueroDad08
09-11-2010, 08:58 AM
lets get this week started early.............Cuero still looking to play a full game and hold on to the football. The Sandcrabs looking to show the crossroads just who is best in area.

YTBulldogs
09-11-2010, 10:54 AM
Cuero get's the Crabs!!!!

40-14 win for Gobblers with 1 turnover, 28-20 with more than 2 turnovers.

Sup with the fumbles? I can see the new QB chunking some INT's. Is Trent the one putting it on the turf?

Old Green
09-11-2010, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by YTBulldogs
Cuero get's the Crabs!!!!

40-14 win for Gobblers with 1 turnover, 28-20 with more than 2 turnovers.

Sup with the fumbles? I can see the new QB chunking some INT's. Is Trent the one putting it on the turf? Team effort;)

sinton66
09-11-2010, 11:08 AM
Cuero on it's way back. They'll get it straightened out.

44INAROW
09-11-2010, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Old Green
Team effort;)
\
nice lol........

Blue42
09-11-2010, 01:24 PM
I gave up 4 free (good) Astro's tickets and $100 in Astro bucks to come to this game I sure hope its worth it.

Green Bling
09-11-2010, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Blue42
I gave up 4 free (good) Astro's tickets and $100 in Astro bucks to come to this game I sure hope its worth it.
You know it!!!:D

YTBulldogs
09-11-2010, 01:55 PM
Dern right it's worth giving up them 'Stro tickets Blue 42.

"Nation" bit off more than they can chew here. Should of stuck with them CC schools.

Blue42
09-11-2010, 02:19 PM
Dern right it's worth giving up them 'Stro tickets Blue 42.

"Nation" bit off more than they can chew here. Should of stuck with them CC schools.
Man I hope your right or it will be a long year of having to listen to all the riff from the PL folks.

44INAROW
09-11-2010, 02:23 PM
Man I hope your right or it will be a long year of having to listen to all the riff from the PL folks.
I know that's right. Hoping the Gobblers make a positive statement in PL..

Cowboy_Up
09-11-2010, 02:24 PM
Huge mistake to underestimate the Crabs.
Whit has those kids playing hard all the time and even though they are not as strong as last year, they'll still pound you every play.
The big match up is PLC O vs Cuero D, not only for scores but for TOP. The crabs have been known to own the clock and TJ can't run for 200+ sitting on the bench.
Very good test for the D Cuero front 7.

I like the Gobblers in a very close game.

Get there early Cuero fans, the crabs like to do the same thing you all do by camping out on the visitors side to take away seating.

YTBulldogs
09-11-2010, 02:26 PM

Last few years, they been talking the noise on the VA website. Wasn't too long ago they couldn't win a game. You'd think they had ya'lls success.

Falcongrad&Dad
09-11-2010, 02:38 PM
Not sure Cuero has gotten it all togethe yet. Although they did beat Bellville last night. Going with PL by 14. LOL

Blue42
09-11-2010, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Falcongrad&Dad
Not sure Cuero has gotten it all togethe yet. Although they did beat Bellville last night. Going with PL by 14. LOL
Don't be Crabby.

99IHSMustang
09-11-2010, 04:03 PM
I am pulling for the Gobblers despite the but whoopins the Mustangs have received from you guys.... lol:D

CueroDad08
09-11-2010, 07:43 PM
If the Gobblers hang on to the ball..............Cuero will win this game......

XtremeCouture
09-11-2010, 09:23 PM
considering Calhoun is a 4A school they most likely will have a huge advantage in depth which I believe will wear down cuero in the second half. the cuero qb needs to get more comfortable in the pocket and make some more accurate throws. obviously the most important thing is limiting turnovers. 4 per game is killing cuero right now. 4 in this game will probably earn them a trip to the woodshed.

rojosgirl
09-13-2010, 08:26 AM
Last few years, they been talking the noise on the VA website. Wasn't too long ago they couldn't win a game. You'd think they had ya'lls success.

Yes, I think we can all remember those days. That said, I think it's gonna be a big Hwy. 87 Showdown! Let's be loud and proud GOBBLER fans. GO-MEAN-GREEN!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

pancho villa
09-13-2010, 09:14 AM
PLC 40 turkeys 10

upbull311
09-13-2010, 01:02 PM
Who has PL played so far and what were the results? This should be a very good game as I think Cuero is beginning to get it together. No TOs and the Gobblers walk away with this one.

SintonFan_inAustin
09-13-2010, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by upbull311
Who has PL played so far and what were the results? This should be a very good game as I think Cuero is beginning to get it together. No TOs and the Gobblers walk away with this one. Beat a highly touted preseason rank team, Corpus Christi Flour Bluff 22-8 and then lost to Corpus Christi Ray 36-35 and last week crushed Tuloso Midway 51-20.

PLC runs the slot option and they will run and run and run again all game. Good test for the run defense of Cuero.

Old Green
09-14-2010, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by CueroDad08
If the Gobblers hang on to the ball..............Cuero will win this game...... I agree. If the Gobblers avoid TO's and penalties they win by +7.

rojosgirl
09-14-2010, 11:47 AM
Gosh this is a S-L-O-W thread this week. I thought it would be hopping! Where is everybody? Does anybody care about this game?

:thinking:

Old Green
09-14-2010, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by rojosgirl
Gosh this is a S-L-O-W thread this week. I thought it would be hopping! Where is everybody? Does anybody care about this game?

:thinking: All the Crabbies are on the 4A board. It's starting to pick up a little bit over there now. Texaaaasports.com

DDBooger
09-14-2010, 12:03 PM
All the Crabbies are on the 4A board. It's starting to pick up a little bit over there now. Texaaaasports.com Had it been last year, they'd be talking a little more mess. Their team last year was pretty darn good, falling to KT in the playoffs after taking a good lead in the 1st half, they couldn't contain Manziel. They're smaller this year, but still pretty good. I think their QB is a little banged up.

Old Green
09-14-2010, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
Had it been last year, they'd be talking a little more mess. Their team last year was pretty darn good, falling to KT in the playoffs after taking a good lead in the 1st half, they couldn't contain Manziel. They're smaller this year, but still pretty good. I think their QB is a little banged up. Yeah! Highlight film from the week beforein their loss to Ray, he was limping a little bit. Last year would have been a better game.

pirate4state
09-14-2010, 01:00 PM
Maybe I'm just a research nut, but there seems to be a trend on this board with people not wanting to look up stuff! :rolleyes:

Port Lavaca, in 3 games has rushed for 1096 yards (365 avg per game). Meanwhile, Cuero has allowed 655 rushing yards (218 avg per game).

Unless something has changed since I saw them against Liberty Hill, Cuero is gonna get drilled. Especially if they keep putting the ball on the ground.

But hey, I've been wrong before!

Gobbler Fan
09-14-2010, 01:11 PM
You have to consider the opponents of the 2 teams ...FB seems to be a one year wonder and TM is not a strong team on the other hand Wim. and LH are teams that would beat the 2 opponents Calhoun has faced . Cuero while not playing up to what people expect had a chance to win both ballgames even with the mistakes ...last week was an improvment and I think the trend will continue through the rest of the season .

And yes you have been wrong before p4s thats not even in question .;)

Snotbubbles
09-14-2010, 01:17 PM
Reserch this. Opponents faced.

2 of Cuero's opponents would beat all PL opponents by double digets IMO.

Cuero would be undefeated against PL opponents to date.

That said, I predict:

Cuero 35
Crabs 20

pirate4state
09-14-2010, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Gobbler Fan
You have to consider the opponents of the 2 teams ...FB seems to be a one year wonder and TM is not a strong team on the other hand Wim. and LH are teams that would beat the 2 opponents Calhoun has faced . Cuero while not playing up to what people expect had a chance to win both ballgames even with the mistakes ...last week was an improvment and I think the trend will continue through the rest of the season .

And yes you have been wrong before p4s thats not even in question .;) Yeah, but Bellville is terrible. :D LOL

pirate4state
09-14-2010, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Snotbubbles
Reserch this. Opponents faced.

2 of Cuero's opponents would beat all PL opponents by double digets IMO.

Cuero would be undefeated against PL opponents to date.

That said, I predict:

Cuero 35
Crabs 20

Maybe Wimberley, but not LH and certainly not Bellville. LOL

Yes, Cuero would most likely be undefeated against PL opponents.

I still think yall lose, but these games only make you better. I'm not worried about yall making the playoffs or making noise as the year goes on. Jackson is a beast and your young QB will gain confidence each week. Cuero will be Cuero by the time playoffs roll around and all these early losses will be a distant memory!

rojosgirl
09-14-2010, 01:34 PM
Yeah - now we're picking up! GO GOBBLERS!

pirate4state
09-14-2010, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by rojosgirl
Yeah - now we're picking up! GO GOBBLERS! All you gotta do is poke Cuero with a stick ;) :D

Snotbubbles
09-14-2010, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
All you gotta do is poke Cuero with a stick ;) :D

LOL.

In regards to your reply to me. I think Wimberley and LH would beat all PL opponents by double digets.

I'd give a million bucks if this matchup would have taken place last year though. Man that would of been sweat.

CueroDad08
09-14-2010, 02:52 PM
When Cuero dont score each time it has the ball, Cuero has been the reason why. Period.........Hold on to the ball and this will be a really great game to watch. IF you like scoring....

SintonFan_inAustin
09-14-2010, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Snotbubbles
LOL.

In regards to your reply to me. I think Wimberley and LH would beat all PL opponents by double digets.

I'd give a million bucks if this matchup would have taken place last year though. Man that would of been sweat. :) no doubt TM but i really doubt FB was at their best against PLC and Rockport. CC Ray offensively hasnt been stopped but they give up a ton of points. Those are some good 4a teams other than TM and for your info Region 4 4a is the toughest region.

headhunter
09-14-2010, 05:51 PM
I am hearing a lot of fans in Cuero say that the Gobblers have had a tough schedule, have made mistakes and turned the ball over, have a new Defensive Coordinator, have a new head coach, and that is why they are 1-2.

Sounds like too many EXCUSES.

After three weeks of football, I am still not sure the Gobblers have it figured out. When you lose close games it comes down to the "little things" such as clock management, field position, 3rd down conversions, and turnovers. I do not see the organization that have been there in the past, I am talking about from pregame to the end of the game. I think the Cuero coaches need to stop being so nice and start demanding perfection from the players. I feel there is not enough pressure to be perfect and if they lose then the words, "We are still trying to figure everything out and get comfortable with each other" come out.

Here is my two cents about the first three weeks:
Wimberley - definetly could have won this game but I will tip my hat to the Texans and agree they had everything go their way that night.

Liberty Hill - No excuse to not be better then them, third string QB and we chose to play to their level and allowed way too many points!

Bellville - not impressed with the win, I still think their were way too many mistakes, self inflicted mistakes, and we should have scored at least two more TD's

Calhoun will beat the Gobblers this week unless the Gobblers are PERFECT - and from the previous three weeks, I just do not think we are playing to perfection.

For the future - I think it starts at the Junior high level, the coaches need to make sure they can find 11 players to go on both sides of the ball and try to get kids into the game as much as possible. This will build the kids confidence and make them realize that if they continue to work hard and put in the effort that hey may have a chance to play in the future. Many fans say we lack depth. The reason we lack depth is because at the junior high level and 9th grade level we have 40-50 kids per class come out for football, but instead of us trying to mold these kids into football players and get them on the field, we (coaches) tend to play the best 11 athletes and then we find that about half of the kids that are not playing due to the fact that they may not be as good YET and they quit. At the Junior high level, they only play 8 min quarters so stamina is not an issue. Some of those kids never see the field because they may have not matured and grown as fast as some. This leads to them quiting and then the numbers start to decline, Winning is nice at the 7th, 8th, and 9th grade level. BUT what is more important is keeping your numbers up and allowing these kids to develop into football players by the time they are sophomores and juniors. I am not saying that every kid need to play equal time, but we have to find a way to get kids to stay in the program from start to finish. Look at the sidelines on friday night - 25 varsity players is the lowest I have ever seen in my life. Kind of hard to keep fresh legs in the game when you don't have many to choose from.

headhunter
09-14-2010, 05:53 PM
When Cuero dont score each time it has the ball, Cuero has been the reason why. Period.........Hold on to the ball and this will be a really great game to watch. IF you like scoring....

I would rather see our defense man up and stop them, I hate to see shootouts - I do not think a team can win a state championship unless we have a defense that can make stops. As the saying goes:

DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS

SintonFan
09-14-2010, 07:28 PM
Cuero wins in a close one. These games are always intense. No excuses on either side after last week.

CueroDad08
09-14-2010, 08:11 PM
For the future - I think it starts at the Junior high level, the coaches need to make sure they can find 11 players to go on both sides of the ball and try to get kids into the game as much as possible. This will build the kids confidence and make them realize that if they continue to work hard and put in the effort that hey may have a chance to play in the future. Many fans say we lack depth. The reason we lack depth is because at the junior high level and 9th grade level we have 40-50 kids per class come out for football, but instead of us trying to mold these kids into football players and get them on the field, we (coaches) tend to play the best 11 athletes and then we find that about half of the kids that are not playing due to the fact that they may not be as good YET and they quit. At the Junior high level, they only play 8 min quarters so stamina is not an issue. Some of those kids never see the field because they may have not matured and grown as fast as some. This leads to them quiting and then the numbers start to decline, Winning is nice at the 7th, 8th, and 9th grade level. BUT what is more important is keeping your numbers up and allowing these kids to develop into football players by the time they are sophomores and juniors. I am not saying that every kid need to play equal time, but we have to find a way to get kids to stay in the program from start to finish. Look at the sidelines on friday night - 25 varsity players is the lowest I have ever seen in my life. Kind of hard to keep fresh legs in the game when you don't have many to choose from. [/B][/QUOTE]

This is the part I have told people for years............
BUT under Reeve it would have not matted if we had 100 on the sidelines..............He was going to play his 11 best in his eyes. This year we dont have much of a choice with 25 kids.

Blue42
09-14-2010, 10:39 PM
Well its all about winning and Caches keeping their jobs at every level and also if you don't win then the kids lose interest and will quit it's a vicious cycle man I wish I had the answer .You would think with all the success that Cuero has had over the years that they would have kids come out in groves. My son is a sophomore and I remember in 7th grade when they started I think all but 2 boys in his whole class did not play 58 total ,now I think they may have under 20 and I hate to say it but I know it will be less next year.

headhunter
09-15-2010, 01:41 AM
Blue please tell me the last coach to lose his job over a 6-4 freshman team? or a 5-5 8th Grade B team? If my memory serves me right, Coach Fuqua coached the freshman for over 15 years and I do not think anyone cares what his record was.

I am not saying to not go win, however I am saying that is is very important that you get these kids to keep their interest level high and feel they are part of the outcome on Thursday night, this leads to kids working harder in the off-season as well as allowing themselves time to mature as individuals. REMEMBER --- due to the fact that their are 8 min quarters and some kids flat out mature faster and can control a game at the 8th grade level does not mean they will continue to have that impact when they are juniors. Kids catch up!

I see this every year on the baseball field, some kids just need to play with a few older guys or just need some one on one work. Sometimes, just the opportuniy of getting them into the game makes them feel like their work in practice is appreciated and they tend to work harder. I work with many kids who just need time to mature, but too many times the kids that develop later just get pushed to the side and before we realize it, we are having kids find other things they can contribute to and be a part of.

Now, is this the only reason for the lack of depth? No, I realize the numbers are down in enrollment, I also realize this may be a smaller class. HOWEVER their is absolutly no reason why we cannot find 22 players (or at least 18) to contribute and get the job done.

I did not want to really go here but since you led me on Blue42, I am going to bring up a point that I have seen before and why I think the numbers may be down.

When one coach stays in a place for a long time, you tend to see the kids start to dwendle, Why? I think it is because some feel they may have not gotten a fair shake early on, some feel that their friends got a raw deal, some may have had a bad experience or bad day with coach and they never saw eye to eye. Kids are in a very close niche these days. If one gets an idea to not play, he usually takes two or three along with him. I saw this in the Finley era, coach Finley came in in 1992 and laid down the law by kicking a bunch of upperclassmen off the team. Disipline was very equal and kids tended to respect each other and respected the coach. In return, the numbers increased. As the years went by, we saw a few players get away with things and as Littleton took over we saw a players-coach not be able to get kids out to practice and have a lot of problems with numbers due to the lack of dicipline and the grudges that had been held in the last few years.

Same goes for the Reeve era. Mark Reeve came in with a lock down discipline attitude and over the years he became more leaniant. We saw him actually go ask kids to come out and play for the team and make exceptions for certain players. This is where the trickle down effect started. I believe you saw kids realize that no matter how hard they worked they would still not get a fair shake. Now, once agian, we hire from within, a players-coach, and we keep the same coaches in tact for the most part. The kids are not as amped up as in the past, the players who have decided to do other projects are not coming out and are actually recruiting kids to leave athletics and in return you see the numbers start to decline. Kids who do not play football are actually not even in athletics right now, how aweful is that? No off-season program? How do you ever think you are supposed to buld a well rounded program?

Now let me put my footnote in:
No where did I say Owens should not be the coach or am I solely blaming him or his staff, I think we have a good staff in place and I like the effort and the values of these coaches, it just so happens that this is a recurring tendency. I am specifically stating my opinion and why I believe the numbers have decreased. Let me point out that many factors play in to the numbers being down. The lack of development and playing time at the junior high level, as well as the same coaching staff in place for eight years, and I feel kids tend to be a bit more laid back and not as driven due to the fact that winning may have come easy early on an may have caused them to take things for granted and once they realize the work it takes they choose to do something less strenious. BUT though the enrollment being down is part of it, is not as big as factor as some might think.

Blue42
09-15-2010, 03:27 AM
Wow you know I never thought of it that way you have some very valid points I hop that the trend starts to change and we get more kids and coaches stay the course. I believe that being in a good sports program can do so much for the development of some of these kids and their future.

bluecat
09-15-2010, 04:56 AM
Maybe Wimberley, but not LH and certainly not Bellville. LOL
I really don"t think Wimberley would of beat PLC, and LH and Bellville would not of come close to beating PLC. PLC's defense isn"t as big as last year, but the are fast and aggressive hard nosed football. PLC is not the team of the past as some refer to them, they most certainly aren"t a team you would want for homecoming as we used to schedule them. PLC is a very disciplined team offensively and defensively, and they play hard each and every down. PLC"s achilles heel would be their def. backs this year, relatively new, but getting better each game.
Cuero needs to score often and early if they hope to win this game.

rojosgirl
09-16-2010, 10:52 AM
GO GOBBLERS, GO GOBBLERS, GO GOBBLERS . . . . . . .

:cheerl: :clap: :cheerl: :clap:

Snotbubbles
09-16-2010, 11:29 AM
"Cuero needs to score often and early if they hope to win this game."--stated Bluecat

Cuero will score at will, and that will be often enough here. Might be just what the doctor ordered for Cuero's new QB too. Cuero is gelling nicely heading into the games that matters. Coach Owens has done a great job preparing all aspects of his team. Got the youngeons some prime time experience in the process. Had to get them ready for the "run".

Seen Crab "D", and it's the slowest Cuero will have faced. Not an issue in this one. Seen some of it on KAVU 25 last night too, and they better get faster than they showed on those highlights:)

All the smack "The Nation" has done past few years on the VA boards, this could get ugly and nasty quick. Cuero is ready to take someone out behind the woodshed for an old fashion butt whoop'in.

Time to get my popcorn, and watch the Cuero fireworks explode tomorrow night in "Booming" Port Lavaca.

XtremeCouture
09-16-2010, 11:49 AM
This is the part I have told people for years............
BUT under Reeve it would have not matted if we had 100 on the sidelines..............He was going to play his 11 best in his eyes. This year we dont have much of a choice with 25 kids.

man you must have not paid any attention to the games. I remember lots of subs when i was there.

CueroDad08
09-16-2010, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by XtremeCouture
man you must have not paid any attention to the games. I remember lots of subs when i was there.

You used the key word "Subs" Yes he did have subs, what we are talking about was starters and kids he had in when times got tuff. Those were almost always the same kids on the other side of the ball.

1stnurseryman
09-16-2010, 02:08 PM
At the 3a level you are always going to have those 3 are 4 players that you need on the field most of the time. That being said I do feel like we need to do a better job of developing and playing the younger players.

12thMan
09-16-2010, 09:58 PM
Another reason you don't see more kids going out for football is some are being taught that if they don't get their way, they'll quit. I see that a lot in CYFL. Parents are teaching their kids WRONG. They get mad at their coach, and parents pull their kids off the team, or tell them not to listen to the coach because he doesn't know what he's talking about.

What does that teach the kids when they get to Jr. high or HS? If they don't like the coach or like what he is saying, they just quit.

You see, it's not Jr High where it starts, it starts when the kids are 6 and 7 in CYFL. This is my personal opinion, CYFL in Cuero is not good for the kids. We don't have enough people teaching the kids football the right way, coaches that know what they are doing.

It's sad when you have coaches yelling at the kids like if their in a pro game, dad's living though their kids. It's sad when you see coaches call plays you see off Madden and expect 6, 7, and 8 yr. olds to understand the game. Those same kids grow up and they have a bad taste about football in their mouth, so they don't even go out for the team.

CYFL should find quality coaches that will be good for the kids before they start filling teams. If you have noticed, ever since CYFL has beed in Cuero, numbers have dropped slowly.

I will say that we have had real good coaches in CYFL, and have taught the kids well. When you see coaches that really care about the kids, and not themselves, kids want more football. I don't see that anymore. CYFL has to call and almost beg people to coach, doesn't matter who they are or what they know.

I've seen this first hand. The last team my son was on was pathetic. The coaches argued in front of the kids and what did that teach the team? One coach would tell the kids not to listen to the other coaches if they didn't like them. I have seen this everywhere. He likes football still, but he has a bad taste in his mouth now.

You see, it starts when they are little, at home or with their CYFL coaches. It's not worth signing kids up for CYFL if they're not being taught correctly.

CueroDad08
09-16-2010, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by 12thMan
Another reason you don't see more kids going out for football is some are being taught that if they don't get their way, they'll quit. I see that a lot in CYFL. Parents are teaching their kids WRONG. They get mad at their coach, and parents pull their kids off the team, or tell them not to listen to the coach because he doesn't know what he's talking about.

What does that teach the kids when they get to Jr. high or HS? If they don't like the coach or like what he is saying, they just quit.

You see, it's not Jr High where it starts, it starts when the kids are 6 and 7 in CYFL. This is my personal opinion, CYFL in Cuero is not good for the kids. We don't have enough people teaching the kids football the right way, coaches that know what they are doing.

It's sad when you have coaches yelling at the kids like if their in a pro game, dad's living though their kids. It's sad when you see coaches call plays you see off Madden and expect 6, 7, and 8 yr. olds to understand the game. Those same kids grow up and they have a bad taste about football in their mouth, so they don't even go out for the team.

CYFL should find quality coaches that will be good for the kids before they start filling teams. If you have noticed, ever since CYFL has beed in Cuero, numbers have dropped slowly.

I will say that we have had real good coaches in CYFL, and have taught the kids well. When you see coaches that really care about the kids, and not themselves, kids want more football. I don't see that anymore. CYFL has to call and almost beg people to coach, doesn't matter who they are or what they know.

I've seen this first hand. The last team my son was on was pathetic. The coaches argued in front of the kids and what did that teach the team? One coach would tell the kids not to listen to the other coaches if they didn't like them. I have seen this everywhere. He likes football still, but he has a bad taste in his mouth now.

You see, it starts when they are little, at home or with their CYFL coaches. It's not worth signing kids up for CYFL if they're not being taught correctly.

You could have a point with your age group. I was one of the first to coach the CYFL kids, And I will tell you, my group had a ball,and it showed on the field winning the first Super Bowl at 12 years old. There is only 4 of those kids on that team that dont play on friday night's,and all 4 have moved is only reason. As the years went by yes, I did see alot of what you were talking about. The coaching is not making it so fun they cant get enough......You really have to make sure everyone plays the same amount of time and teach them the Fun part of the game.

Old Green
09-17-2010, 02:54 AM
I just got home. What were the JV and Freshman Scores?

Bull's-eye
09-17-2010, 09:21 AM
Good luck Cuero! :)

44INAROW
09-17-2010, 09:46 AM
unofficial reports I got were - Cuero Freshman won and Port Lavaca JV won.. hear both were pretty close games but that is "hearsay" :)

gobbler grad
09-17-2010, 09:55 AM
Gobblers, Sandcrabs renew rivalry

Teams have not played since 1983

Sandcrabs Stadium

Cuero's Aaron Bell and Calhoun's Nick McCrory hadn't been born the last time the Gobblers and Sandcrabs played football.

So it's understandable the frenzy surrounding the first meeting of the teams since 1983 has largely escaped them and their teammates.

"I guess people in town are pretty excited," McCrory said. "It's just another game to us. It will show us how to play against tough teams."

"I don't know a lot about them, but a lot of people have talked about it," Bell said. "I think it will be good for us. It will be pretty crowded and a lot of people there."

A full house is expected when Cuero (1-2) and Calhoun (2-1) meet Friday at 7:30 p.m. in Calhoun's homecoming at Sandcrab Stadium in Port Lavaca.

"I think it's going to be a fun atmosphere, said Calhoun coach Richard Whitaker. "They've got a phenomenal ball club. If they don't turn the ball over, they're probably going to be 3-0. They've played some tough opponents. I told the kids when you play good people, you find out what your weaknesses are and it's going to help us in the future. We expect it to be a great challenge."

"I don't know how motivated our kids are because our kids don't think it's a rival," said Cuero coach Rick Owens. "But our fans think it's a rivalry. They're going to approach it like that. I'm sure it will be a playoff-type atmosphere, that's what we've been telling our kids."

The Gobblers began the season ranked No. 4 in Class 3A, but had their 33-game home winning streak snapped in a loss to Wimberley.

Cuero lost consecutive home games for the first time since 2002 when it fell to Liberty Hill before bouncing back to beat Bellville last week.

The Gobblers' problem has been taking care of the football. Cuero has turned the ball over 13 times and has a turnover margin of minus-nine.

"We've got to fix that," Bell said. "We have to hold on to the ball and take care of that. That's what's killing us right now. We played hard for all four quarters, but turnovers are killing us."

Calhoun opened the season with a win over Flour Bluff before having its 17-game winning streak come to an end in a loss to Corpus Christi Ray.

The Sandcrabs defeated Corpus Christi Tuloso-Midway last week.

"Everything needs improvement," McCrory said. "There's a lot of new guys who don't know how to handle it or what to do so they've just got to learn."

Whitaker would like to see the Sandcrabs become more consistent on offense and defense.

Calhoun concludes its non-district schedule next week at Rockport-Fulton before opening District 30-4A play at Victoria East on Oct. 8.

"We've always tried to have a couple of Houston area schools on our schedule and this year it didn't work out," Whitaker said. "Mainly because of the speed factor. Cuero certainly has that type of speed, so it's good for us. The game is a little faster and it forces us to take better angles and do things better and if you don't it costs you.

"It's a great learning process for us when you play great teams that have good speed," he continued. "I think it makes you better for district and it gets you prepared for the playoff games if you have that opportunity later on."

Owens is hoping to see improvement from his offensive and defensive lines as the Gobblers prepare for next week's District 28-3A opener against Pleasanton.

"We've seen teams that run the ball real well," Owens said. "I think a big key for us down the road is being able to stop the run. I think it's been good for our team.

"They're a big, tough, physical football team," he added. "That's the biggest thing that worries you about them is how physical they are on both sides of the ball. We want to get through and start district healthy."

Green Bling
09-17-2010, 01:24 PM
I went to the Freshmen game, and the Gobblers took that one 27-20. It thought we played well against a very big tough group of Sandcrabs. I heard the Gobbler JV team lost by a touchdown, but I don't have the score.

CueroDad08
09-17-2010, 04:17 PM
Rain Rain Go Away, Really want the Crabs to come out and play

44INAROW
09-17-2010, 04:21 PM
Rain Rain Go Away, Really want the Crabs to come out and play

;) Be careful out there tonight :)

maroogreen
09-17-2010, 06:41 PM
If the game is actually played (depending on whether or not there is lightning), it is still going to be a rainy, messy one. Bring your waders.

gobbler grad
09-17-2010, 06:43 PM
it's gonna be sloppy...:(

pirate4state
09-17-2010, 07:09 PM
Are yall still playing?

DDBooger
09-17-2010, 07:12 PM
Are yall still playing? They said on Texaaaasports that it was raining for quite a bit of time but it stopped.

44INAROW
09-17-2010, 07:17 PM
I am listening to the coaches show on gobblersports.com but it's taped of course - no word yet on the rain and it's effects on the game - I'll post as soon as I hear

44INAROW
09-17-2010, 07:21 PM
they just said - stay turned for Kickoff at 7:30 so I guess the game is on.. anyone know if there is a Port Lavaca broadcast? it's always fun to listen to the 'other' side's view of a game..

KingRob
09-17-2010, 07:34 PM
LET'S GO CUERO!!!

:cheerl: :cheerl: :cheerl:

gobbler grad
09-17-2010, 07:36 PM
we got lucky to recover that fumble...we have to hold on to the ball tonight...

Gobbler Fan
09-17-2010, 07:42 PM
87 yards td Trent Jackson 7-0 Cuero 8 minutes left in first

gobbler grad
09-17-2010, 07:46 PM
don't see anyone catching him (Jackson) when he gets out in the open field...:thinking:

gobbler grad
09-17-2010, 07:47 PM
Sandcrabs tie it at 7...

Gobbler Fan
09-17-2010, 07:47 PM
TD Calhoun pat good 7-7 tied up

Gobbler Fan
09-17-2010, 07:50 PM
td trent Jackson 78 yard td run ..... 14-7 Cuero

gobbler grad
09-17-2010, 07:51 PM
Jackson is a beast...2 carries 165 yds. and 2 td's...the last one went for 78 yds...:clap:

KingRob
09-17-2010, 07:51 PM
I lOVE TRENT!!

LET'S GO CUERO!!!

gobbler grad
09-17-2010, 08:05 PM
14-7 Cuero--end of 1st..

SintonFan
09-17-2010, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by gobbler grad
Jackson is a beast...2 carries 165 yds. and 2 td's...the last one went for 78 yds...:clap:

:eek:

Gobbler Fan
09-17-2010, 08:12 PM
76 yard td Trent Jackson pat good 21-7 Cuero

gobbler grad
Jackson goes 76 yds for his 3rd td...

21-7 Cuero

KingRob
OMG!! GO TRENT GO!!

LET'S CUERO!!!

SintonFan
09-17-2010, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by KingRob
OMG!! GO TRENT GO!!

LET'S CUERO!!!

:eek: :eek:

Gobbler Fan
wow :clap:

IHStangFan
NICE!!! GO CUERO!!

gobbler grad
09-17-2010, 08:16 PM
probably close to 250 yds. and 3 td's...not a bad 1st half performance...

pirate4state
09-17-2010, 08:19 PM
don't see anyone catching him (Jackson) when he gets out in the open field...:thinking: I agree!

Like I said ... yall win big HAHA :D

44INAROW
09-17-2010, 08:19 PM
keep it up Gobblers.. Hold em............... wanna get the ball back

Gobbler Fan
09-17-2010, 08:23 PM
21-14 Cuero ...good ball game 5 min before half

Gobbler Fan
09-17-2010, 08:26 PM
Fumble on kickoff by Cuero recovered by Calhoun ...rain coming down again

gobbler grad
09-17-2010, 08:27 PM
Cuero turns the ball over and now a facemask call...puts PLC inside the 20 with a 1st down...this rain needs to stop

Gobbler Fan
09-17-2010, 08:27 PM
Facemask on Cuero takes it to the 15 yardline 3:58 left

Gobbler Fan
09-17-2010, 08:29 PM
Cuero Defense recovers the ball for Cuero ....announcers are saying rain is coming down sideways

gobbler grad
09-17-2010, 08:30 PM
Sandcrabs fumble...gobblers ball and it's raining very hard...Grandpa and Joe are getting wet...

gobbler grad
09-17-2010, 08:32 PM
this 2nd qtr. is taking forever...guess you could be standing out in the rain...:(

gobbler grad
09-17-2010, 08:43 PM
21-14 GOBBLERS @ HALF

44INAROW
09-17-2010, 09:14 PM
Just read on Facebook that the Goliad/Bishop game was called in the 2nd quarter - Goliad ahead (and wins I guess) 34-0 The town of Goliad lost power.. Weather is playing havoc on Friday night lights tonight.. :eek:

buff4ever
09-17-2010, 09:27 PM
updates anyone?

Gobbler Fan
09-17-2010, 09:35 PM
end 3rd Calhoun driving....21-14 Cuero

gobbler grad
09-17-2010, 09:35 PM
21-14 GOBBLERS @ HALF

same score ...end of 3rd

gobbler grad
09-17-2010, 09:40 PM
21-21 tie --9:00 min. left

Gobbler Fan
09-17-2010, 09:41 PM
tied 21-21 9 min left in the ballgame

12thMan
09-17-2010, 09:44 PM
TD Trent!!

Now, Cuero defense needs a stop!! Lets go Cuero!!!!

Gobbler Fan
09-17-2010, 09:45 PM
51 yrd td run Trent Jackson 28-21 pat good

SintonFan
Does anyone want the Crabs to win?

Go Gobblers!!!:clap:

gobbler grad
another TD for Jackson...51 yds on the run and over 300 yds. on the night

KingRob
TOUCHDOWN GOBBLERS!!!

LET'S GO CUERO!!!

Gobbler Fan
09-17-2010, 09:47 PM
another TD for Jackson...51 yds on the run and over 300 yds. on the night

right at 350 yards

pirate4state
09-17-2010, 09:48 PM
another TD for Jackson...51 yds on the run and over 300 yds. on the night I guess the mud isn't slowing him down, huh? ;)

Yall should nominate him for Ford's Built Tough player award.

12thMan
09-17-2010, 09:49 PM
Crabs are known to grind the clock. Stop em D.

IHStangFan
09-17-2010, 09:49 PM
How many TDs does Jackson have?

gobbler grad
09-17-2010, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
How many TDs does Jackson have?

all 4 of them

99IHSMustang
09-17-2010, 09:51 PM
Trent has 4 TDs

12thMan
09-17-2010, 09:53 PM
Way to go defense!!!

Gobbler Fan
09-17-2010, 09:53 PM
Cuero holds Calhoun Short on 4th down Cuero ball on 47 yard line of Calhoun

sinfan75
09-17-2010, 09:55 PM
I know who my player of the week gonna be.:D

Gobbler Fan
09-17-2010, 09:56 PM
Has to be someone from Brownwood

gobbler grad
09-17-2010, 09:56 PM
Cuero gets 1st down...2:00 left and driving

12thMan
09-17-2010, 09:57 PM
Go Gobblers!!!!

pirate4state
Has to be someone from Brownwood

LOL not against Llano!

gobbler grad
Originally posted by sinfan75
I know who my player of the week gonna be.:D

closing in on 400 yds...

Gobbler Fan
09-17-2010, 09:58 PM
Close to 400 yards for #27...no wearing out tonight for Cuero

Maroon87
09-17-2010, 09:59 PM
This would be real confidence builer for Cuero...Calhoun has a tough squad.

Gobbler Fan
09-17-2010, 09:59 PM
timeout Calhoun 57 left in the ball game ...Cuero inside the Calhoun 10 yard line

Gobbler Fan
09-17-2010, 10:00 PM
Fumble ...Calhoun gets the ball at their 2 ...man just had to down it twice wth ? 57 sec left

gobbler grad
09-17-2010, 10:02 PM
INT....Cuero scores

34-21 Gobblers

Gobbler Fan
09-17-2010, 10:02 PM
picked off td Cuero ...whew

44INAROW
09-17-2010, 10:03 PM
INT....Cuero scores
omg so what's the score..

Gobbler Fan
34-21 Cuero

KingRob
YEEHAAAWWWW!!!

Gobbler Fan
09-17-2010, 10:06 PM
Happy Homecoming Calhoun :2thumbsup

KingRob
09-17-2010, 10:09 PM
Congrats Gobblers!!

LET'S GO CUERO!!!

44INAROW
09-17-2010, 10:10 PM
Happy Homecoming Calhoun :2thumbsup

Man on Man - this is a huge win for the Gobblers. Congrats to Coach Owens and crew, the Offense and Defense. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Old Green
09-17-2010, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
omg so what's the score.. 34-21 Cuero

44INAROW
09-17-2010, 10:12 PM
34-21 Cuero let's go check out the chatter on the advocate site ROFL didn't they refer to Trent as "miss jackson" a while back LOL

garciap77
09-17-2010, 10:12 PM
Congrats Gobblers!!

Gobbler Fan
09-17-2010, 10:14 PM
let's go check out the chatter on the advocate site ROFL didn't they refer to Trent as "miss jackson" a while back LOL

Yes they sure did

Old Green
09-17-2010, 10:14 PM
let's go check out the chatter on the advocate site ROFL didn't they refer to Trent as "miss jackson" a while back LOL Yep!!! I might talk a little bit. Especially that one guy:devil: :D

pirate4state
09-17-2010, 10:15 PM
Didn't think yall could do it, but yall did :D

Hats off to yall! :2thumbsup

Gobbler Fan
09-17-2010, 10:21 PM
I told you you have been wrong before ...:D

unclebeebeep
09-17-2010, 10:22 PM
GOBBLERS TAKE DOWN CRAB NATION WAY TO GO GREEN

gobbler grad
Jackson ended up 23 carries for 385 yds...congrats...:clap:

and 4 TD's

pirate4state
I told you you have been wrong before ...:D I'm wrong A LOT!! LOL :D I don't mind admitting it. I did that for yall's own good. Yall were entirely TOO quiet and sad. hehe

44INAROW
09-17-2010, 10:26 PM
I'm wrong A LOT!! LOL :D I don't mind admitting it. I did that for yall's own good. Yall were entirely TOO quiet and sad. hehe
;) hope you'll get to play tomorrow.. hopefully the rain quits and things dry up - can you imagine the humidity at 2pm tomorrow?YIKES

ApachePride
09-17-2010, 10:32 PM
Congrats Gobblers!!!

Green Bling
09-17-2010, 11:10 PM
Way to make a statement Gobblers!!
Congrats to the players, coaches and staff!!
AND thanks to all you rain-soaked Gobbler fans who braved the elements tonight to support our team!!

SintonFan
09-17-2010, 11:15 PM
Nice win Gobblers!:cool:

crabman
09-18-2010, 12:16 AM
Wow. I really had this one picked wrong. As a former Sandcrab I was kind of quiet this week on the board. I just had a feeling that the Gobblers were set up for a big letdown this week. A super muddy field, horrible pounding rain during the game, and a much bigger, much more physical (or so I thought) Sandcrab team would make for a long night. But that was not to be the case.

The team that ran through the banner at the beginning of the game was not the team I saw the last three weeks. They had not even played the first down and you could tell there was something different about them. More enthusiasm. More fire in their belly. More confidence. Great, great first half. There was not much we could do but run the ball. I have never seen it rain and blow that hard except during a hurricane. The Calhoun coach called timeout before the half because it was raining horizontally and his players could not see.

Cuero had many players that played really well tonight. Start with Jackson. 385 yards. That's just crazy. If the field had been dry where he had a little better footing it could have been more. In a 50 yard sprint he was 10-12 yards faster than the Crabs.

Aaron Bell made more tackles from the cornerback position that I thought possible. Tanner Hoffman was an absolute monster at linebacker. There was no answer for him. Logan Goebel was all over the field and had the clinching interception to ice the game. The lines played with way, way more intensity than the previous three weeks combined. Glad to see it.

With all due respect to Trent Jackson, the player who really had a good game was Mason Blaschke, the quarterback. You wouldn't think a guy who handed off that many times and threw a handful of passes all night was really a factor but he was. He had one really timely pass in pouring down rain. The main thing though was the way he managed the game. For the first time this year he had the look like "this is my team". Good clock management. Putting recievers and backs in the right postions, no panic, no happy feet, no nothing. Just sound football. He was directing the offense. His only miscue was when a lineman stepped on his foot with 50 seconds left and he and Trent didn't get the handoff. Not to worry. The next play Logan Goebel intercepts and ices the game. That is why you have teammates.

Every season has a turning point. I think that this may have just been it for the Gobblers. We will find out next week against Pleasanton.

zebrablue2
09-18-2010, 12:21 AM
congrats to the gobblers!!!

Blue42
09-18-2010, 12:51 AM
Man it was worth giving up the Astos game and sitting in the monsoon like weather to watch this game the boys looked like a team tonight and I don't know what to say about Trent but awesome.I would like to see how many tackles Tanner had .They looked like the Gobblers of old I know they primarily stuck to the run because of the weather but this may be what this team needs to do every game and throw in a little passing in to keep other teams thinking.

CueroDad08
09-18-2010, 05:03 AM

Every season has a turning point. I think that this may have just been it for the Gobblers. We will find out next week against Pleasanton. [/B][/QUOTE]

Crabman I do think you hit it right on the head. This team is very good. And will only get better after each week. New staff on both sides of the ball was kinda a shock for this group. But if I could pick a group of kids to want to learn a whole new playbook on both sides of the ball, but yet not take two years to learn it, this would be the group. This team has alot of heart and are very smart. It took 2-3 weeks of real football to teach and learn, but can you picture how good these kids will be come playoff time when everything comes togeather as one? Keep up the weekly hard work and it will all pay off in the end Gobblers.

YTBulldogs
09-18-2010, 11:49 AM
Told ya Blue42 you didn't want to miss this one for a Astros game. And, my predicted score was pretty close.

Congrats Cuero. When you need something (like a win) give the rock to Trent and he'll deliver. IMO, he's the best back in the state. I dern sure have not seen another cut like him.

Way to go neighbors. Shut the "Nation" up for awhile.

44INAROW
09-18-2010, 12:24 PM

Way to go neighbors. Shut the "Nation" up for awhile.

yep they are pretty quiet for sure ;)

Now on to Pleasonton.. :clap:

gobbler grad
09-18-2010, 12:31 PM
yep they are pretty quiet for sure ;)

Now on to Pleasonton.. :clap:

not alot of talk on the 4A board either...still think they're trying to dry out after last night's deluge...:thinking:

rojosgirl
09-20-2010, 08:44 AM
Way to go GOBBLERS! Onward and upward. . . . . . .

:clap: