PDA

View Full Version : Dwight Howard grants wish

NateDawg39
09-08-2010, 05:17 PM
Occasionally stories come around that push your sadness buttons just enough that your eyes get a bit misty, while at the same time the same story activates your smile sensors because it's about someone doing something good for another person. You know what I'm talking about.
So if you're down with crying a few happy tears, chew on this story by the Orlando Sentinel's Mike Bianchi.
Her bucket list included just one item.
Kay Kellogg (who is suffering from Stage 3 Multiple Myeloma, an aggressive cancer) didn't want to climb the Eiffel Tower. Or run a marathon. Or jump out of an airplane. She just wanted to have a nice conversation with her hero.
"Dwight Howard is just such a precious, wonderful kid," she says. "Whenever I watch him play, he just makes me feel good inside."
And for a woman who feels so bad inside most of the time, this is quite an accomplishment for Dwight. [...]
A few weeks ago, her daughter, Arian Clute, had an idea. She contacted the Magic and told them that her mother had but one wish before she died: She wanted to meet Dwight.
And, so, a few days ago, Dwight showed up at her door step. He was supposed to spend 30 minutes and ended up staying nearly two hours.
Sad enough, one would think. These sort of things are always tremendously sad-happy, and Dwight's contribution to the heart-warming visit canon is no different. And really, just the fact that Dwight spent two hours with an old lady dying from an incurable illness would be enough to make anyone damp in the eyes.

But then, Dwight ratchets things up a notch and really sets things off.
When she gingerly stood up to say goodbye, he bent way, way down, hugged her hard and told her something startling. He told this 4-foot-11 woman who is dying of cancer, "You are taller than me."
"That's the silliest thing I've ever heard," she said.
"No," Dwight insisted, "you are taller than me because your spirit lifts you up."
See? Told you it was a happy-sad (or sad-happy, either way works). Please, please read the whole story, because the entire thing is great. After that, maybe send an email to your mom or grandma. Very cool of Dwight, who seems like the perfect person to go to this sort of thing.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Dwight-Howard-makes-a-lady-s-day-life?urn=nba-268206

Diocletian
09-08-2010, 06:02 PM
You know it has to be damn hard for High Profile athletes to make an appearance like that..

I'm sure she is one of 1000 applicants.

I'm also enlightened by the story and praise the guy for trying.

Some Icons get it...and some don't.

SintonFan
09-08-2010, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by Diocletian
You know it has to be damn hard for High Profile athletes to make an appearance like that..

I'm sure she is one of 1000 applicants.

I'm also enlightened by the story and praise the guy for trying.

I agree.

95mustang
09-09-2010, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Diocletian

That is why only a few are truly icons. Most are just greedy self-centered blow hards that have been given a talent that they tend to abuse.

DDBooger
09-09-2010, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by 95mustang
That is why only a few are truly icons. Most are just greedy self-centered blow hards that have been given a talent that they tend to abuse. LOL You know this how? This is one highlighted story. Lots of athletes do plenty for charities. We occasionally catch a few but a player holding out is more newsworthy than Warrick Dunn who every year built homes for needy families. Are some greedy, absolutely, but no different than anyone else wanting to be paid the most for their services or work.

95mustang
09-09-2010, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
LOL You know this how? This is one highlighted story. Lots of athletes do plenty for charities. We occasionally catch a few but a player holding out is more newsworthy than Warrick Dunn who every year built homes for needy families. Are some greedy, absolutely, but no different than anyone else wanting to be paid the most for their services or work.

That is part of the problem in todays society. The Media tends to feel that someone holding out for more money is more important that someone who is out there doing good deeds. I am not saying there is only one out there doing these good deeds, I can name multiple atlehtes who are true role models, but at the same time I can name multiple who apparently needed a role model when they were growing up.

DDBooger
09-09-2010, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by 95mustang
That is part of the problem in todays society. The Media tends to feel that someone holding out for more money is more important that someone who is out there doing good deeds. I am not saying there is only one out there doing these good deeds, I can name multiple atlehtes who are true role models, but at the same time I can name multiple who apparently needed a role model when they were growing up. Understood. And yes, unfortunately we feed the machine that returns to us the juicy stories rather than the heartfelt ones. I'm glad this one was highlighted. My sister met George Foreman when she was in MD Anderson. Sweet man.