PDA

View Full Version : Boise State

JasperDog94
09-07-2010, 02:05 PM
Does anyone else think that Boise State got some favorable calls (1 non-call) in their last drive last night? The no call on the block in the back could have gone either way, but I was surprised that they picked the flag up. And the late hit out of bounds was a garbage call. The receiver stepped one foot out of bounds but was still fighting for yardage with most of his body in bounds. The whistle blew right when the Virginia Tech player was in mid flight. What's he supposed to do? Stop mid flight when he hears the whistle? That's 30 yards in penalties that helped put them in scoring range.

I give credit to Boise for taking advantage of the calls. Looks they have a cakewalk the rest of the way, with the only possible stumbling block versus a now unranked Oregon State team.

buff4ever
09-07-2010, 02:06 PM
i agree late hit call was a bad call, I don't think it was a block in the back on the punt.

Deuce
09-07-2010, 02:17 PM
The late hit call was very bad, and they should have called pass interference on the last drive that V tech had.

icu812
09-07-2010, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Deuce
The late hit call was very bad, and they should have called pass interference on the last drive that V tech had.

Agree on the late hit, that was border line at best.

As far the interference call, the VT DB's were not called several times for the same thing. I think the refs were just being consistant with the way they called the entire game.

Coach BS
09-07-2010, 03:00 PM
They already act like Boise has already won the NC, they do have the easiest road but the season just started. If V tech keeps losing that win means nothing.Big win for Boise , no doubt. and the late hit call was terrible, looked like he was still running down the sidelineif you diddnt see the one foot step out of bounds.

sinton66
09-07-2010, 05:22 PM
I watched the game and the replays and agreed with the calls made. The block in the back wasn't, he hit him from the side. The pass interferrance on the far side wasn't because he reached out and hit the ball. The other possible PI call was when they tangled their feet up on the near side, that's usually a no call. The late hit was because he was clearly out of bounds when the VT player hit him.

Daddy D 11
09-07-2010, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
The late hit was because he was clearly out of bounds when the VT player hit him.

wrong.

sinton66
09-07-2010, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
wrong.

Don't tell me, tell the replay officials. They showed it several times.

shamu85
09-07-2010, 06:07 PM
I still like Boise State and hope they meet up with a big name program in a BCS bowl this year. TCU, too.

LionKing
09-07-2010, 06:14 PM
I too watched the replay, he was not clearly out of bounds to the players of either team, he did step out of bounds with his left heal, the only thing I come up with is that the ref whistled the play dead when the heal touched, thus throwing the flag a couple of seconds later on the VT player, which in the ref's judgement was a late hit, albeit, a bad judgement in most peoples opinion, even some Boise fans didn't think it was a late hit.

gobbler grad
09-07-2010, 07:30 PM
This thread should have been called "The Boise Hater's Club"...sure they have a weak schedule, but any loss and their out of the BCS running...let's see what happens...yeah, it's not often the Hokies get beat by a bunch of potato heads...:wave: :D :D

sinton66
09-07-2010, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by LionKing
I too watched the replay, he was not clearly out of bounds to the players of either team, he did step out of bounds with his left heal, the only thing I come up with is that the ref whistled the play dead when the heal touched, thus throwing the flag a couple of seconds later on the VT player, which in the ref's judgement was a late hit, albeit, a bad judgement in most peoples opinion, even some Boise fans didn't think it was a late hit.

If any part of one foot is on the line before he got hit, he was technically and correctly (by definition) called out of bounds. It's a good thing some of you aren't refs.

JasperDog94
09-08-2010, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by sinton66
If any part of one foot is on the line before he got hit, he was technically and correctly (by definition) called out of bounds. It's a good thing some of you aren't refs. The problem was neither the receiver nor the defender thought he was out of bounds and they both continued to play as if it were a live ball. By the time the whistle blew, the defender was running full speed and in the process of trying to force him out of bounds. How in the world do we expect these guys to stop on a dime? I'm not saying that it was a horrible call. I'm just saying in that situation I probably wouldn't have called it.

BEAST
09-08-2010, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by gobbler grad
This thread should have been called "The Boise Hater's Club"...sure they have a weak schedule, but any loss and their out of the BCS running...let's see what happens...yeah, it's not often the Hokies get beat by a bunch of potato heads...:wave: :D :D

I agree. What has Boise done the past several years when they play a "big dog"? They win. The BCS idiots shouldve put them and TCU against different teams last year instead of each other. If they wouldve beaten an SEC or BIG 12 team, how would yall feel about them? Would it have changed your feeling? They cant help who the play. Hell, If I were Texas or any other "big dog" I wouldnt schedule them either. Tough deal.

BEAST

JasperDog94
09-08-2010, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by BEAST
I agree. What has Boise done the past several years when they play a "big dog"? They win. The BCS idiots shouldve put them and TCU against different teams last year instead of each other. If they wouldve beaten an SEC or BIG 12 team, how would yall feel about them? Would it have changed your feeling? They cant help who the play. Hell, If I were Texas or any other "big dog" I wouldnt schedule them either. Tough deal.

BEAST I want to give them the benefit of the doubt, but they don't play tough competition week in/week out. When they are consistently playing teams in the top 25 week to week (like most of the major conferences) then they can talk about being in the title game.

Of course if we had an 8 team playoff this would not be an issue.

DDBooger
09-08-2010, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
I want to give them the benefit of the doubt, but they don't play tough competition week in/week out. When they are consistently playing teams in the top 25 week to week (like most of the major conferences) then they can talk about being in the title game.

Of course if we had an 8 team playoff this would not be an issue. It has become irrelevant when you consider that they beat AQ schools when they play them. Their coach asked for challenges, he said he'd go anywhere and play anyone and few called him on it. Those who have, he beat. They beat the Pac-10 champs (Oregon), Big 12 champs (OU) and imo likely the ACC champs (VaTech). Beat TCU...lol at some point people have to stop looking at who they're playing and start looking at THEM.

DDBooger
09-08-2010, 12:06 PM
It was great to see all the ESPN analysts proven wrong.

Such a tragedy the BCS made TCU and Boise play each other.

The year before 'Bama won the NC, Utah beat them. They had a soft schedule too. This "their schedule is too easy" stuff eventually has to be put in correct relation to exactly how good is the team playing that schedule.

PPSTATEBOUND
09-08-2010, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
It has become irrelevant when you consider that they beat AQ schools when they play them. Their coach asked for challenges, he said he'd go anywhere and play anyone and few called him on it. Those who have, he beat. They beat the Pac-10 champs (Oregon), Big 12 champs (OU) and imo likely the ACC champs (VaTech). Beat TCU...lol at some point people have to stop looking at who they're playing and start looking at THEM.

:clap: :clap:

LionKing
09-08-2010, 01:21 PM
Until Boise can get into a legit conference where they can play more than one top 25 team in a season, it ain't gonna matter how good they actually are (and they are good), SOS is just gonna kill them when BCS and Nov. comes rolling around, if Boise stays undefeated, their best hope for playing in the NC is for Va Tech to not lose anymore, and for every other top team to lose, a Boise loss and they're done.

mlb04stangs
09-08-2010, 03:29 PM
They will probably run the table the rest of the way, and as long as they do so while beating everyone to the ground their not gonna slip from the number 3 spot, so in reality all that needs to happen for them to get in the BCS game is for one of the two teams ahead of them to lose.

Bullaholic
09-08-2010, 03:40 PM
All I know is the Boise St. primetime victory parade includes wins over OU, TCU, and now VA Tech---I don't know how you spell "for real", but I think they have more than proved themselves worthy to run with the big dogs.

JasperDog94
09-08-2010, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
All I know is the Boise St. primetime victory parade includes wins over OU, TCU, and now VA Tech---I don't know how you spell "for real", but I think they have more than proved themselves worthy to run with the big dogs. But that's over the course of several years. Do that year in and year out and then we'll talk. Beating 1 ranked team each year while playing cupcakes the rest of the year should not qualify you for a national championship game.

Think of it this way: Brownwood runs the table in 3A while beating one 5A school along the way. Should they get the shot at the 5A state championship? I know the analogy is not completely accurate, but it's similar when you think about the level of competition they face every week.

Old Tiger
09-08-2010, 04:04 PM
I want to give them the benefit of the doubt, but they don't play tough competition week in/week out. When they are consistently playing teams in the top 25 week to week (like most of the major conferences) then they can talk about being in the title game.

Of course if we had an 8 team playoff this would not be an issue. Been to BCS bowls 2 ouf the last 4 years...has 3 undefeated regurlar seasons....

Pertesen is 50-4 as a HC.

Bullaholic
09-08-2010, 04:06 PM
But that's over the course of several years. Do that year in and year out and then we'll talk. Beating 1 ranked team each year while playing cupcakes the rest of the year should not qualify you for a national championship game.

Think of it this way: Brownwood runs the table in 3A while beating one 5A school along the way. Should they get the shot at the 5A state championship? I know the analogy is not completely accurate, but it's similar when you think about the level of competition they face every week.

I understand your point, JDog, but also remember that Boise St. has beaten every one of those big schools who supposedly play a tough schedule everytime they have played them, and each time they have had the added pressure of being under the "microscope". IMO, Boise St. is no fluke, and they have proven it to me. I hope they get a chance to prove it once again because they have to work a lot harder than most to even get the chance. Of course, I would rather see our home-grown version of Boise St, TCU, get that chance.

Coach BS
09-08-2010, 04:07 PM
Boise is very good, don't get me wrong. First off we don't even know how good V Tech is yet. IMO if Boise had to play 3-4 top 20 teams every season I would have a different opinion. Put Boise, Alabama, Florida, Texas, Ohio St. in a round robin and probably no one goes undefeated. Any team can beat another on any given night, I just think teams that play more than 1 top school in a season are deeper and more battle tested and IMO probably better

JasperDog94
09-08-2010, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Coach BS
Boise is very good, don't get me wrong. First off we don't even know how good V Tech is yet. IMO if Boise had to play 3-4 top 20 teams every season I would have a different opinion. Put Boise, Alabama, Florida, Texas, Ohio St. in a round robin and probably no one goes undefeated. Any team can beat another on any given night, I just think teams that play more than 1 top school in a season are deeper and more battle tested and IMO probably better My point exactly. Two years ago Texas played the toughest 4 game stretch I've ever seen a team play. 4 consecutive top 11 opponents. And they lost the last one on the last play of the game, yet still did not get into the NC game. Yet a team that plays 1 top 25 team a year should get a shot? Not in my book.

Trust me when I say that I respect Boise St. (and TCU) for what they've done and what they continue to do, but is it worthy of a shot at a championship versus a team that plays 4 or 5 teams in the top 25?

JasperDog94
09-08-2010, 04:16 PM
Another thing to think about: Most major conferences are playing against NFL caliber talent every week. They are hit by guys that are bigger, stronger and faster than most of the teams in smaller conferences. Thus the chance for injury is much higher. If you have to bang against guys that are NFL prospects, then your chances of getting injured are a lot higher than if your banging against guys that are smaller and maybe not as athletic. Also meaning that the guys in the smaller conferences should be a little more fresh.

Just food for thought.

Tin Cup
09-08-2010, 04:22 PM
Everyone agrees that Boise is good. The only problem I have is that I think about 5 teams each year would go undefeated with their schedule. Examples include bama texas Ohio state Florida etc. I'll take a one loss sec team over them any day bc that 1 loss team would have 0 losses playing Boise's schedule. It is fun to root for the underdog though and I think Boise still plays the underdog role. Boise now believes they can win the big game and they have but doing it week in week out is a different story.

Coach BS
09-09-2010, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Tin Cup
Everyone agrees that Boise is good. The only problem I have is that I think about 5 teams each year would go undefeated with their schedule. Examples include bama texas Ohio state Florida etc. I'll take a one loss sec team over them any day bc that 1 loss team would have 0 losses playing Boise's schedule. It is fun to root for the underdog though and I think Boise still plays the underdog role. Boise now believes they can win the big game and they have but doing it week in week out is a different story. Totally agree, maybe even 10 teams go undefeated with only 1 "BIG" game per year

ronwx5x
09-09-2010, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Coach BS
Totally agree, maybe even 10 teams go undefeated with only 1 "BIG" game per year

More fuel for the fire? ESPN has a poll on SportsNation asking from where the BCS Champion will come. The choices are Big 10, Big 12, SEC and Other. When was the last time it came from "Other"?

http://espn.go.com/

LH Panther Mom
09-09-2010, 07:34 PM
schedule 1 (http://www.broncosports.com/SportSelect.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=9900&SPID=4061&SPSID=48555)

schedule 2 (http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/sports/m-footbl/sched/tex-m-footbl-sched.html)

The last time I looked, you couldn't pick your conference schedule. But, you can sure pick, or at least make an attempt to, your non-conference schedule! I'm not sure I'd be talking so much about SOS, at least non-conference. :doh:

Black Swarm
09-09-2010, 07:43 PM
Another thing to think about: Most major conferences are playing against NFL caliber talent every week. They are hit by guys that are bigger, stronger and faster than most of the teams in smaller conferences. Thus the chance for injury is much higher. If you have to bang against guys that are NFL prospects, then your chances of getting injured are a lot higher than if your banging against guys that are smaller and maybe not as athletic. Also meaning that the guys in the smaller conferences should be a little more fresh.

Just food for thought.

Might want to do a little research before I buy into this comment.
2009 TCU has more players drafted than any other Texas schools.

JasperDog94
09-10-2010, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Black Swarm
Might want to do a little research before I buy into this comment.
2009 TCU has more players drafted than any other Texas schools. My point is not that TCU and Boise don't have great NFL caliber talent. It's that the guys they face in conference aren't as big, fast and athletic as the teams Texas, OU, Alabama and Florida face every week. If you gave Oklahoma State Boise State's schedule, they would have maybe 1 loss, possibly go undefeated. My point is that it's much tougher in the big boy conferences week to week.

Bullaholic
09-10-2010, 11:27 AM
My point is not that TCU and Boise don't have great NFL caliber talent. It's that the guys they face in conference aren't as big, fast and athletic as the teams Texas, OU, Alabama and Florida face every week. If you gave Oklahoma State Boise State's schedule, they would have maybe 1 loss, possibly go undefeated. My point is that it's much tougher in the big boy conferences week to week.

Agreed that the overall competition in the "big boy" conferences is tougher, but once again I say that Boise State has beaten 3 top teams consecutively who have defeated most of that tougher competition. Look at this way---If a highschool team is in a weak region or district, but has beaten a perennial state champ or runner-up in the playoffs for 3 straight years in the playoffs, would you say that such a team is not deserving to play for the state championship? Until Boise State gets clearly "monkey stomped" by one of the big boys, I am going to say they are deserving to date.

JasperDog94
09-10-2010, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Agreed that the overall competition in the "big boy" conferences is tougher, but once again I say that Boise State has beaten 3 top teams consecutively who have defeated most of that tougher competition. Look at this way---If a highschool team is in a weak region or district, but has beaten a perennial state champ or runner-up in the playoffs for 3 straight years in the playoffs, would you say that such a team is not deserving to play for the state championship? Until Boise State gets clearly "monkey stomped" by one of the big boys, I am going to say they are deserving to date. The big difference is that in high school we have a playoff. Boise has some signature wins. No doubt about it. But until they play top competition for more than one game a year, I personally cannot put them ahead of a 1 loss SEC or Big 12 team.

Ernest T Bass
09-10-2010, 02:09 PM
Alot of the "big boys" are contenders by reputation only. Texas' schedule doesn't look much tougher than Boise's. I dont see many ranked teams on their schedule either, especially in non-conference.

DDBooger
09-10-2010, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
Alot of the "big boys" are contenders by reputation only. Texas' schedule doesn't look much tougher than Boise's. I dont see many ranked teams on their schedule either, especially in non-conference. Yup, IMO Boise would beat all 12 members of the big 12. Hell OK had problems with Utah St, a school in Boise's conference.

rancher
09-10-2010, 04:48 PM
I dont see a lot of big time programs stepping up to play Boise. The Boise came on several national sports programs and made the following statement, "WE WILL PLAY ANYBODY, ANYTIME AT ANYPLACE." Not a lot of takers so far.
:thinking:

DDBooger
09-11-2010, 02:31 PM
Va Tech struggling vs James Madison

VT 16
JM 14

Txbroadcaster
09-11-2010, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by rancher
I dont see a lot of big time programs stepping up to play Boise. The Boise came on several national sports programs and made the following statement, "WE WILL PLAY ANYBODY, ANYTIME AT ANYPLACE." Not a lot of takers so far.

ehh they said that with an *...if you want to play Boise St you got to pay em 2 million or more to get them. So yes they threw down a gaunlet with a you must pay us big money

eagleqb_14
09-11-2010, 02:53 PM
all i can say is they are overrated. sorry some of you will disagree but they are in my opinion. i can see top 10 but not in top 5

JasperDog94
09-11-2010, 10:33 PM
5 point victory > 3 point victory

Therefore James Madison should be ranked ahead of Boise State, right?;) :p :p

Emerson1
09-11-2010, 10:40 PM
How are games against FCS teams, whether it be win or lose, computed into the BCS computers?