PDA

View Full Version : Reggie Bush to be stripped of Heisman

JasperDog94
09-07-2010, 10:23 AM
link (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ys-bushheisman090710)

"sources said the trust will relieve Bush of the award and leave the honor for that season vacant."

Too bad for Vince. He was the best player and even though Bush will be stripped of that honor, he still won't get the award.:thmbdwn:

Rocket
09-07-2010, 10:37 AM
They should give it to Vince. The runner up should get it.

trojandad
09-07-2010, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Rocket
They should give it to Vince. The runner up should get it.

i agree, would give incentive for players to stay clean.....if they do it this way, players will hear "do it dirty, cause either a dirty player will get it or nobody will".....

Trashman
09-07-2010, 11:34 AM
Vince has already said he did not want it. He does not want to earn the trophy because it was taken form someone else.

Rocket
09-07-2010, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Trashman
Vince has already said he did not want it. He does not want to earn the trophy because it was taken form someone else.

He earned it the first time and proved it in the NC game. I guess the NC is better than the Heisman, any day...

Eagle 1
09-07-2010, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Rocket
He earned it the first time and proved it in the NC game. I guess the NC is better than the Heisman, any day...

As is a superbowl championship.

wimbo_pro
09-07-2010, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Trashman

It shouldnt matter if he wants it or not. He got the 2nd most votes, it ought to be recorded that he won it for future reference.

JasperDog94
09-08-2010, 04:08 PM
link (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=dw-vyheisman090710)

This guy nails it!

Old Tiger
09-08-2010, 04:18 PM
Q: What is the Heisman Trophy?

A: The Heisman Memorial Trophy Award named after the former Brown University and University of Pennsylvania college football player and coach John Heisman, is awarded annually by the Heisman Trophy Trust to the most outstanding player in collegiate football.

Facts Reggie bush accepted illegal benefits which by rule means he is not a amateur collegiate athlete bur rather a professional.

waterboy
09-08-2010, 04:32 PM
I think Vince Young was a better player and should have won the Heisman that year anyway. Bush was good, but Young performed better on the big stage and brought home something far more tangible and meaningful, a National Championship.

trojandad
09-08-2010, 04:35 PM
i know vince did his AFTER the voting that year, but it just was sad that bush got his big kuddos that year for having 500+ all purpose yards against fresno state, whereas vince had his 500+ all purpose yard game against usc....substantial difference of opposing teams....

Old Tiger
09-08-2010, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by trojandad
i know vince did his AFTER the voting that year, but it just was sad that bush got his big kuddos that year for having 500+ all purpose yards against fresno state, whereas vince had his 500+ all purpose yard game against usc....substantial difference of opposing teams.... Vince was the first player in NCAA history to throw for 3000 yards and rush for 1000 yards.

3,036 yds 26 tds 10 int
1,050 yds 6.8 ypc 12 tds

Vince also had over 500 all purpose yards against Oklahoma State during the season.

NateDawg39
09-08-2010, 05:05 PM
It's all about marketing the player and the razzle dazzle they have. Bush had a lot and nobody can deny that. Young was a phenomenon as well but he did not live in California centered around the media. Young could make things happen all game long and never miss a beat while Reggie Bush had the same skill...just better media outlets.

Vince has a NC and everyone who watched the game will remember that last TD run by VY that broke down the "best team ever" as they were labeled.

trojandad
09-08-2010, 05:21 PM
the one thing i could never figure out was did they consider him a runner first or a receiver first....closest thing i remembered like him was johnny rodgers from nebraska, and even osborne referred to him as a kick returner....when someone is a kickoff returner they automatically average more yardage than a punt returner.....vince didn't get any of those return yardage in his numbers.....

even now bush has people starting ahead of him as a rusher and receiver, with more touches going elsewhere....its like he's a relief pitcher in football....lol

Old Tiger
09-08-2010, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by NateDawg39
It's all about marketing the player and the razzle dazzle they have. Bush had a lot and nobody can deny that. Young was a phenomenon as well but he did not live in California centered around the media. Young could make things happen all game long and never miss a beat while Reggie Bush had the same skill...just better media outlets.

Vince has a NC and everyone who watched the game will remember that last TD run by VY that broke down the "best team ever" as they were labeled. That year it was more about ESPN hyping USC the entire season as the "best ever"

NateDawg39
09-08-2010, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
That year it was more about ESPN hyping USC the entire season as the "best ever" Exactly but ESPN is the leading sports network

Therefore we should all assume what they say as truth :mad:

Old Tiger
09-08-2010, 05:39 PM
Exactly but ESPN is the leading sports network

Therefore we should all assume what they say as truth :mad: I like how they don't report when their anchors get in trouble! :D

NateDawg39
09-08-2010, 05:40 PM
I like how they don't report when their anchors get in trouble! :D They get in trouble??? Since when do high society members get in trouble :D

Old Tiger
09-08-2010, 05:44 PM
They get in trouble??? Since when do high society members get in trouble :D Just assaulting their wife, sexual harassment, DWI, and other such violations..really not big deal :D

NateDawg39
09-08-2010, 05:48 PM
Just assaulting their wife, sexual harassment, DWI, and other such violations..really not big deal :D :thinking: Something fishy...I don't remember the last time I saw something about a famous person getting in trouble for DWI

Diocletian
09-08-2010, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
link (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ys-bushheisman090710)

"sources said the trust will relieve Bush of the award and leave the honor for that season vacant."

Too bad for Vince. He was the best player and even though Bush will be stripped of that honor, he still won't get the award.:thmbdwn:

As a huge fan myself of VY.. I'm glad he didn't get the award up front.

Because it feels much better to prove someone wrong....than it does to accept accolade for what you deserve.

It's that crazy itch you have inside you that just makes you try harder and motivates to you go over the top. Him having his emotions set to turbo throughout that game helped him win it single handedly...

Thus making him more valuable to the NFL as well.... and he has proven his worth by having the most wins/losses of any of the top QB's from that draft year.

It would be an entirely different story if he won it upfront.

coach
09-08-2010, 07:47 PM
the one thing i could never figure out was did they consider him a runner first or a receiver first....closest thing i remembered like him was johnny rodgers from nebraska, and even osborne referred to him as a kick returner....when someone is a kickoff returner they automatically average more yardage than a punt returner.....vince didn't get any of those return yardage in his numbers.....

even now bush has people starting ahead of him as a rusher and receiver, with more touches going elsewhere....its like he's a relief pitcher in football....lol

lol until game 7 vince was a bcak up. I know ppl are so homerish on this board but the right man got the heisman that yr. Now i can see why vince does not want the award. i dont blame him. reggie had one of the best games of all time against a verygood fresno st. game. i never knew why ppl hated him but he was damn good and he deserved the heisman with his play on the field.

NateDawg39
09-08-2010, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by coach
lol until game 7 vince was a bcak up. I know ppl are so homerish on this board but the right man got the heisman that yr. Now i can see why vince does not want the award. i dont blame him. reggie had one of the best games of all time against a verygood fresno st. game. i never knew why ppl hated him but he was damn good and he deserved the heisman with his play on the field. I agree with all the above minus the Fresno team :)

Old Tiger
09-08-2010, 08:07 PM
USC almost lost to a team that finished the season 8-4. Not acceptable for "the greatest team of all time"

coach
09-08-2010, 09:18 PM
I agree with all the above minus the Fresno team :)

the fresno team is one of those trap games you hear about...they werent great but it wasnt a horrible team.

trojandad
09-08-2010, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by coach
lol until game 7 vince was a bcak up. I know ppl are so homerish on this board but the right man got the heisman that yr. Now i can see why vince does not want the award. i dont blame him. reggie had one of the best games of all time against a verygood fresno st. game. i never knew why ppl hated him but he was damn good and he deserved the heisman with his play on the field.

ok, just so i understand you, vince was only a backup qb until his 7th game of his senior year? surely you meant something else...

and there are other reasons for not wanting the award, when a certain de from splendora came home, he told several boys that he was bummed that he had such a better year against a tougher league than bush played against, including that same fresno st team......

and i may be homerish, but one of the reasons i liked the guy is because so many "well informed" coaches gave all the reasons in the world why he couldn't be a qb passer, lead a d1 team, etc etc and he proved all the supposedly educated people wrong (as bernie kosar proved all the same wrong saying a side armed qb couldn't make it in the nfl)....is the same reason he exploded in anger and drive after scoring late in the 4th the first time he came to houston, he was stickin it to the texans and showing them he felt they blew it with their choice......when you just win, you get to the point that you want them to keep their awards, he had already learned how to win WITHOUT coach's approval.....

YTBulldogs
09-08-2010, 10:08 PM
Sounds about right. Strip Bush for his accepting gifts from a agent, and let OJ retain his after he nearly decapitated and murdered a few people. Robbed a man at gunpoint to boot. Amazing.

Guess they figure OJ done sold his, or they are scared to try to take it from him.

trojandad
09-08-2010, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by YTBulldogs
Sounds about right. Strip Bush for his accepting gifts from a agent, and let OJ retain his after he nearly decapitated and murdered a few people. Robbed a man at gunpoint to boot. Amazing.

Guess they figure OJ done sold his, or they are scared to try to take it from him.

is what happens when ny attorneys get involved in picking football awards....:nerd: :nerd: :nerd:

coach
09-08-2010, 10:53 PM
ok, just so i understand you, vince was only a backup qb until his 7th game of his senior year? surely you meant something else...

and there are other reasons for not wanting the award, when a certain de from splendora came home, he told several boys that he was bummed that he had such a better year against a tougher league than bush played against, including that same fresno st team......

and i may be homerish, but one of the reasons i liked the guy is because so many "well informed" coaches gave all the reasons in the world why he couldn't be a qb passer, lead a d1 team, etc etc and he proved all the supposedly educated people wrong (as bernie kosar proved all the same wrong saying a side armed qb couldn't make it in the nfl)....is the same reason he exploded in anger and drive after scoring late in the 4th the first time he came to houston, he was stickin it to the texans and showing them he felt they blew it with their choice......when you just win, you get to the point that you want them to keep their awards, he had already learned how to win WITHOUT coach's approval.....

my bad read your post wrong....

bobcat4life
09-08-2010, 10:53 PM
ESPN was the Bush network while he was in college, just like how it became the Tebow network the past 3 years.

Thats why USC was the "Greatest Team Ever" in 2005 and Bush won all his awards.

Old Tiger
09-08-2010, 11:15 PM
2005 Vince/Reggie Stats(Not including rose bowl)

Vince Young
Passing: 2769 yards and 26 tds
Rushing: 850 yards and 9 tds

Reggie Bush
Rushing: 1658 yds and 15 tds
Receiving: 38 rec, 383 yds, 2 tds

Vince had double the TD's that Reggie had that year and Vince didn't play in the 4th quarter of any game except Ohio State, USC, Oklahoma State, and Texas A&M. Sometimes he went out halfway through the 3rd or did not play in the second half.

Old Tiger
09-15-2010, 01:11 AM
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k262/AeonicVision/regbush.jpg

Keith7
09-15-2010, 01:13 AM
http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/2627/vincedownunedited4gp.jpg

Old Tiger
09-15-2010, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by Keith7

http://bealonghorn.utexas.edu/whyut/photos/images/brown_mack_trophy.jpg

Keith7
09-15-2010, 01:59 AM
http://bealonghorn.utexas.edu/whyut/photos/images/brown_mack_trophy.jpg

frauds.. see my above post

JasperDog94
09-15-2010, 07:40 AM
frauds.. see my above post Reggie Bush is the bigger fraud. He should never have been allowed on the field that year.

No Reggie Bush = no shot at beating Texas.

Old Tiger
09-15-2010, 12:40 PM
Reggie Bush is the bigger fraud. He should never have been allowed on the field that year.

No Reggie Bush = no shot at beating Texas. It would have been interesting to see how many yards TD's Lendale White would have had if Bush hadn't been there.

forum_guy
09-15-2010, 02:33 PM
Reggie Bush is the bigger fraud. He should never have been allowed on the field that year.

No Reggie Bush = no shot at beating Texas.

you are acting like what happened with reggie bush affected the way he played. He didn't cheat to get better. He didn't enhance himself to get better. He wasn't at an unfair advantage. I'm seeing all this talk about VY played better in the NC but the thing no one on here realizes is that the Heisman is voted on before the NC. A re vote or anything like that would be a joke and for Vince now to possibly get it by DEFAULT would be an even bigger joke.

JasperDog94
09-16-2010, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by forum_guy
you are acting like what happened with reggie bush affected the way he played. He didn't cheat to get better. He didn't enhance himself to get better. He wasn't at an unfair advantage. I'm seeing all this talk about VY played better in the NC but the thing no one on here realizes is that the Heisman is voted on before the NC. A re vote or anything like that would be a joke and for Vince now to possibly get it by DEFAULT would be an even bigger joke. We will just have to agree to disagree because I couldn't disagree more. Cheating is cheating. It doesn't matter what he did on the field if what he did off the field made him ineligible. Character counts. Just ask South Carolina. They suspended their tight end for the rest of the season because of the same stuff Bush did, only Bush's seems to be more egregious.

There's no need for a revote. In the event the top guy is ruled ineligible the award should go to the guy that came in second.

Old Tiger
09-16-2010, 12:29 PM
We will just have to agree to disagree because I couldn't disagree more. Cheating is cheating. It doesn't matter what he did on the field if what he did off the field made him ineligible. Character counts. Just ask South Carolina. They suspended their tight end for the rest of the season because of the same stuff Bush did, only Bush's seems to be more egregious.

There's no need for a revote. In the event the top guy is ruled ineligible the award should go to the guy that came in second. All you would have to do is look at all those ballots who voted Reggie #1 and see who they voted #2 and give the person who received those votes the Heisman.

trojandad
09-16-2010, 02:41 PM
All you would have to do is look at all those ballots who voted Reggie #1 and see who they voted #2 and give the person who received those votes the Heisman.

they aren't giving it to vince because they agree with the bush backers.....they think he should keep it, rules be hanged and not giving it to vince is a high brow form of protest....face, it, parents, society is now where it approves winning at all cost and rules should go the way of the dinosaurs.....

there were two other towns that felt that way years ago, i just can never remember the names of those cities....it was sodom and.......i forget......but they were highly successful in their philosophy of life, just ask their mayor......if you can stand the heat, that is........:devil: :devil: :devil:

Txbroadcaster
09-16-2010, 02:47 PM
they aren't giving it to vince because they agree with the bush backers.....they think he should keep it, rules be hanged and not giving it to vince is a high brow form of protest....face, it, parents, society is now where it approves winning at all cost and rules should go the way of the dinosaurs.....

there were two other towns that felt that way years ago, i just can never remember the names of those cities....it was sodom and.......i forget......but they were highly successful in their philosophy of life, just ask their mayor......if you can stand the heat, that is........:devil: :devil: :devil:

I am sorry but WHAT!?!?! You lost me

trojandad
09-16-2010, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I am sorry but WHAT!?!?! You lost me

i'm sorry, i speak from my experiences....having owned a title co many moons ago i dealt with ny attys until i would barf (of which the majority of the heisman board is made), the ones i dealt with were always indignant on any questions contrary to their decisions, right or wrong be damned......when the head of the heisman committee goes on espn and says "i don't know where bush's votes would go after five years" it sounded SO much like an argument i would have heard in my past from similar atts up there.....

it isn't there job to determine where the votes would go, or whether the "same atmosphere could be reproduced"...of course it couldn't be reproduced, cause since they gave an award to a man for having 500 offensive yards against a second division team (fresno state), vince young had 500+ yards against the supposed best team (and defense) in the nation.....after a show like that, he's darned right, many writers would have a hard time voting against vince.....

i'm sitting here with an aggie hat on (tho i went to smu), i'm not a ut homer tho i was happy they beat usc, i don't care if they give it to vince or not, what i could read from my station in life is some arrogant attys completely flustered with ANYONE in the country second guessing their choice and looking for a left handed, subversive way of protest (sort of like how the white house popped all the "W"'s off the keyboards there when bush won the presidency).....

not saying i'm right, just is very indicative based on my past interactions with said groups.....just one man's opinions.....(if i gotta explain the sodom and gamorrah joke, your on your own, lol, j/k)........

Emerson1
09-16-2010, 03:00 PM
*inserts pic of interception by UT player that refs ruled incomplete that led to USC points.*

themsu97
09-16-2010, 03:11 PM
We will just have to agree to disagree because I couldn't disagree more. Cheating is cheating. It doesn't matter what he did on the field if what he did off the field made him ineligible. Character counts. Just ask South Carolina. They suspended their tight end for the rest of the season because of the same stuff Bush did, only Bush's seems to be more egregious.

There's no need for a revote. In the event the top guy is ruled ineligible the award should go to the guy that came in second.

so in his entire career at UT, you honestly think that VY did not recieve one favor that would be a violation of NCAA rules? then you are crazy...
the only thing that Bush did was not sign with the agent, who was paying his parents... it was an agreement that the parents made to help influence their son,
and last time I checked, until two days ago, Reggie won the Heisman by the biggest margin ever... was not even close, and Reggie has a NC ring as well, to go with his Super Bowl ring...
the Heisman is not that prestigious anymore... it is a popularity contest now, Crouch won it and he was not even the best qb in the nation much less the best player... and there have been several past winners who have admitted to taking money while they were in college...

trojandad
09-16-2010, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by themsu97
so in his entire career at UT, you honestly think that VY did not recieve one favor that would be a violation of NCAA rules? then you are crazy...
the only thing that Bush did was not sign with the agent, who was paying his parents... it was an agreement that the parents made to help influence their son,
and last time I checked, until two days ago, Reggie won the Heisman by the biggest margin ever... was not even close, and Reggie has a NC ring as well, to go with his Super Bowl ring...
the Heisman is not that prestigious anymore... it is a popularity contest now, Crouch won it and he was not even the best qb in the nation much less the best player... and there have been several past winners who have admitted to taking money while they were in college...

1) this "everybody does it" argument is so weak, not EVERYBODY does it, i know because i turned money down to go to a school and i don't believe i was the only one in history with a backbone....pat tillman turned down millions for principals, nobody can speak against his beliefs.....i know brian robison through my son and can tell you that his dad would have taken him out back if he had taken the money offered to him to go to other schools, so there's one that didn't.....strong people don't take it.....don't make blanket statements that aren't so, or worse yet, believe those statements yourself.....

2) if 99 people take money, then give the award to number 100, don't drop principals....geez....

3) oj won by the largest margin....how appropriate...lol

4) reggie's nc ring is as hollow as his heisman, the title was stripped from them....

5) you say everyone does it, but because bush did it and got caught, he can now no longer go to his college, can't hang with current trojans and cost himself MILLIONS in endorsements for taking somesmall change up front.....very selfish parents to take that residence when they knew he would get in trouble if caught, so no wonder bush repeated those actions, he saw them at home first....

6) if you were just talking in generalities its cool, but i'd like to know what heisman winners are on record saying they took money, that'd make for a good thread if you have some references.....i just don't know any, NOT SAYING THEY AREN'T THERE......

7) most importantly, people that use your "vince young took money" arguments would do all of us a favor by providing proof, and if you have none, then just rephrase it to say "i believe he did" or "odds are he did".....if you were young and you were clean, you'd want the benefit of the doubt, give as good as you'd want.....

JasperDog94
09-16-2010, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by themsu97
the Heisman is not that prestigious anymore... it is a popularity contest now, Crouch won it and he was not even the best qb in the nation much less the best player... and there have been several past winners who have admitted to taking money while they were in college... "But officer, there are lots of cars speeding." That argument doesn't work in the real world, nor should it work here. Have proof? Then show it. Otherwise put that tired argument to rest.