PDA

View Full Version : Question....

ccmom
09-05-2010, 09:47 PM
Why do several posters (this season especially) tend to reply to my football posts in a manner that either implies or outright states I have no knowledge of the game? I noticed that on a couple other boards as well, and have wondered if my screen name did not so obviously label me as a female, if maybe then I wouldn't get these condescending replies, or sometimes no reply at all. There are other female posters on this board who don't seem to get so much of these kind of posts that allude to an idea that they are somehow clueless when it comes to football. Many of these kind of jabs come from posters who I have come to know on some level, and therefore I know they are just having fun with me and that's all well and good. Even the posters who I don't know, but are clearly trying to insult my football knowledge don't really bother me. I'm just curious... Do some people automatically assume "she's a woman...what can she know about football"? I'm truly interested in your responses. I rarely take anything on ths board too seriously. Besides, I happen to know I have played just as many downs of high school football as a good number of the male posters on this board. :D

bigwood33
09-05-2010, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by ccmom
Besides, I happen to know I have played just as many downs of high school football as a good number of the male posters on this board. :D
Now that right there's funny! I don't care who you are.:D

TheDOCTORdre
09-05-2010, 09:55 PM
In Texas, High School football is religion, so the Downlow is like a church. SO I can only assume this verse could directly correlate to your situation

1 Corinthians 14:34-25 states

34.The women are to keep silent in the churches; for they are not permitted to speak, but are to subject themselves, just as the Law also says.

35.If they desire to learn anything, let them ask their own husbands at home; for it is improper for a woman to speak in church.

we dont want women to speak in our church...
:D :D :D

ccmom
09-05-2010, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
In Texas, High School football is religion, so the Downlow is like a church. SO I can only assume this verse could directly correlate to your situation

34.The women are to keep silent in the churches; for they are not permitted to speak, but are to subject themselves, just as the Law also says.

35.If they desire to learn anything, let them ask their own husbands at home; for it is improper for a woman to speak in church.

:D :D :D Ahhhh...I see. Thank you Father Dre. The problem with that would be that the women on this board sometimes have the gonads to say what the men won't. This place might get awfully sweet and lovey dovey without the women to speak the truth. (By the way, I told (oops I mean I ASKED) my husband about posting this and he said it would be fine. "Yes, Your Highness" were his words, I believe. :cool:

LE Dad
09-05-2010, 10:02 PM
I can't answer that one, because I think you are pretty football smart. :thinking: If I were to guess it could be that belittling based on gender is some all people have. It is sad that people feel it necessary.:(

bigwood33
09-05-2010, 10:03 PM
:doh: :doh: We MAY see the gloves come off now!:D :D
Sick 'em!

ccmom
09-05-2010, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by LE Dad
I can't answer that one, because I think you are pretty football smart. :thinking: If I were to guess it could be that belittling based on gender is some all people have. It is sad that people feel it necessary.:( No frownie faces needed.....I think it's comical actually. I just wondered what kind of responses I would get if I called them on it. Like I said, it's not just on this board. I'm not whining....just curious. It's all good. If someone could shut me up it would have been done LONG ago. :D

LE Dad
09-05-2010, 10:07 PM

:D :D :D You better hope Anna doesn't see this. :D

TheDOCTORdre
09-05-2010, 10:09 PM
You better hope Anna doesn't see this. :D

:(

Looking4number8
09-05-2010, 10:27 PM
I can't answer that one, because I think you are pretty

Be careful, she is married!!!

ccmom
09-05-2010, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Looking4number8
Be careful, she is married!!! Haha!! That's right! Acoording to Rockee, I am married to the band director and he is fierce with that baton! Haha!

Looking4number8
09-05-2010, 10:32 PM
Haha!! That's right! Acoording to Rockee, I am married to the band director and he is fierce with that baton! Haha!

I thought it you were married to the bands drum major, by the way, tell him congrats for making drum major as a sophomore

Looking4number8
09-05-2010, 10:39 PM
On a serious note, I have been impressed since I joined this site with as many women that are on this site and know their football (CCMOM included). and ccmom, you know I respect your post and your football knowledge... I also respect your ability to keep secerts.

ccmom
09-05-2010, 10:40 PM
I thought it you were married to the bands drum major, by the way, tell him congrats for making drum major as a sophomore Ohhhh....that's right. Your great grandson is in his class. I forgot about that, Gramps! :p

95mustang
09-05-2010, 10:46 PM
On a serious note, I have been impressed since I joined this site with as many women that are on this site and know their football (CCMOM included). and ccmom, you know I respect your post and your football knowledge... I also respect your ability to keep secerts.

What he said.

ccmom
09-05-2010, 10:55 PM
On a serious note, I have been impressed since I joined this site with as many women that are on this site and know their football (CCMOM included). and ccmom, you know I respect your post and your football knowledge... I also respect your ability to keep secerts. oh I'm gonna spill your secrets.....just waiting for the perfect time!!! :p

BullsFan
09-06-2010, 06:48 AM
I haven't noticed anyone being particularly dismissive because you are a woman (or because anyone else is, for that matter). Am I missing a thread somewhere?

Ranger Mom
09-06-2010, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by BullsFan
I haven't noticed anyone being particularly dismissive because you are a woman (or because anyone else is, for that matter). Am I missing a thread somewhere?

I have seen it several times over the years and have learned to take the opposite approach.

When I first joined this board, I admitted I didn't know a lot about football and was here to learn, that way, if I asked a "stupid" question, I had my disclaimer to fall back on.

I got a kick out of reading what the "guys" wrote, like they were explaining it to a 4 yr. old.....after I was asked why I wasn't in the kitchen:D

I have found humor over the years by taking the "blonde" approach!!

I must admit though, after all my time here, I AM a lot more football savvy that I was 8 years ago.

I always liked football and loved watching all 4 of my boys play, my husband walked on at Texas Tech many moons ago, I have been around football a lot...but it wasn't until I joined this board that I learned what the difference between a spread offense, slot-T and wishbone were!!:p

I don't know all the X's and O's of football, and that's fine...I don't plan on being a coach or anything. What I DO know, is that when my husband wants to know who won a certain game, coaching changes, etc....he comes to ME!!!D

Now when I have a question....I ask LHPM!!

wimbo_pro
09-06-2010, 09:10 AM
CCMOM IS A CHICK?????

Trashman
09-06-2010, 09:48 AM
Why do several posters (this season especially) tend to reply to my football posts in a manner that either implies or outright states I have no knowledge of the game? I noticed that on a couple other boards as well, and have wondered if my screen name did not so obviously label me as a female, if maybe then I wouldn't get these condescending replies, or sometimes no reply at all. There are other female posters on this board who don't seem to get so much of these kind of posts that allude to an idea that they are somehow clueless when it comes to football. Many of these kind of jabs come from posters who I have come to know on some level, and therefore I know they are just having fun with me and that's all well and good. Even the posters who I don't know, but are clearly trying to insult my football knowledge don't really bother me. I'm just curious... Do some people automatically assume "she's a woman...what can she know about football"? I'm truly interested in your responses. I rarely take anything on ths board too seriously. Besides, I happen to know I have played just as many downs of high school football as a good number of the male posters on this board. :D

Because they are jacka**es and were not properly raised. Anybody who has been on this board awhile knows that the women of the 3ADL are well versed in football. :D

Daddy D 11
09-06-2010, 10:54 AM
get off your soap box and get back in the kitchen..

BullsFan
09-06-2010, 11:13 AM
Maybe I haven't experienced it personally because my name is more gender neutral. I have, however, had to explain several times that I am not a dude. ;)

I also try to stay out of the more detailed technical discussions, and I don't engage in trash talk* so that might also explain it.

*although I do dabble a bit with NateDawg. He's from DECATUR. I can't help it. Plus I know he can take it. ;)

I actually meant that I haven't seen any threads where ccmom was dissed because she's a woman. I don't mind taking up for the cause, and I might wade into the fray.

ccmom
09-06-2010, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
get off your soap box and get back in the kitchen.. I think I will go back into the kitchen.....that must be where I left my beer.

ccmom
09-06-2010, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by BullsFan
Maybe I haven't experienced it personally because my name is more gender neutral. I have, however, had to explain several times that I am not a dude. ;)

I also try to stay out of the more detailed technical discussions, and I don't engage in trash talk* so that might also explain it.

*although I do dabble a bit with NateDawg. He's from DECATUR. I can't help it. Plus I know he can take it. ;)

I actually meant that I haven't seen any threads where ccmom was dissed because she's a woman. I don't mind taking up for the cause, and I might wade into the fray. Hey Bulls Fan....you didn't miss a particular thread. Another poster and I had discussed recently how he had noticed this going on, too. It's not a big thing....just something to talk about. I probably know just enough to make me sound ridiculous anyway, which is why I fit it around here. ;)

injuredinmelee
09-06-2010, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
get off your soap box and get back in the kitchen.. that one made me spit sunflowers seeds all over the monitor.

injuredinmelee
09-06-2010, 12:10 PM
the difference is a man wouldnt worry about such a trivial thing. Just duck and weave duck and weave

ccmom
09-06-2010, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
the difference is a man wouldnt worry about such a trivial thing. Just duck and weave duck and weave haha..who said I'm worried about it? I just thought it might be interesting to discuss.

injuredinmelee
09-06-2010, 12:25 PM
Wouldnt it be better to just talk about your awesomeness? I'd prefer it.

BullsFan
09-06-2010, 01:10 PM
Hey Bulls Fan....you didn't miss a particular thread. Another poster and I had discussed recently how he had noticed this going on, too. It's not a big thing....just something to talk about. I probably know just enough to make me sound ridiculous anyway, which is why I fit it around here. ;)

Well it would certainly be why you fit in with ME. LOL. I am the first to admit that my knowledge of football is incomplete and completely partial. For example, it's the strangest thing but whenever the ref throws a flag on us, it is completely WRONG. But the flags thrown on the opponent are right on. It's happened at every game I've watched the last, oh, 20 years or so. ;)

And that goes for the Cowboys too, by the way. Oh, and every strike called against a Ranger batter or not called on a Ranger pitcher. I'm impartial in my partiality. ;)

TheDOCTORdre
09-06-2010, 02:01 PM
i thought my post would have gotten more laughs:(

hollywood
09-06-2010, 02:05 PM
I think I will go back into the kitchen.....that must be where I left my beer.

LOL. Quit trying to act macho ccmom, tell them the truth. You drink highly rated wine and rely on Garciap77 for your information! :D

Daddy D 11
09-06-2010, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
that one made me spit sunflowers seeds all over the monitor.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :stirpot:

ccmom
09-06-2010, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by hollywood
LOL. Quit trying to act macho ccmom, tell them the truth. You drink highly rated wine and rely on Garciap77 for your information! :D As long as the wine is good, who cares about the rest? ;)

DaHop72
09-06-2010, 04:27 PM
"she's a woman...what can she know about football"? Didn't you answer your own question??:devil: :devil: I thought it had to do with the color you always wear to football games. :kiss: :kiss:

sinton66
09-06-2010, 06:33 PM
i thought my post would have gotten more laughs:(

I laughed. I even read it out loud to my family.;)