PDA

View Full Version : Pregame Prayer?

Looking4number8
09-05-2010, 08:38 AM
I was thrilled Friday night when we had a pregame prayer in Brownwood before the Graham football game. First time I have heard one instead of moment of silence in several years. There was a roaring cheer from both sides after the prayer

I am not trying to start a religious debate and if this thread gets closed, mod's I apologze in advance but I am wondering if any other teams are having prayers instead of "moment of silence"

zebrablue2
09-05-2010, 10:11 AM
Caldwell had the moment of silence!!

Pendragon13
09-05-2010, 11:29 AM
Wylie always has an opening prayer. At Stephenville they had a 1.5 second moment of silence...but of course it isn't clear if that is an American town or not.:)

Looking4number8
09-05-2010, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Pendragon13
Wylie always has an opening prayer. :clap: :clap:

Originally posted by Pendragon13
At Stephenville they had a 1.5 second moment of silence...but of course it isn't clear if that is an American town or not.:) :D :D

BaseballUmp
09-05-2010, 12:53 PM
I hear that at the La Vega Cameron game, there was a player lead prayer for the Balch family

MN95
09-05-2010, 12:55 PM
In Celina, we usually have a prayer. Once is a while we have a moment of silence, which makes me wonder if you have to get approval of the visiting team?

This past week, we played Prestonwood Christian. At their request, men from both communities met in the end zone before kickoff to join in prayer. Pretty neat.

orange machine
09-05-2010, 01:52 PM
Here is an article about Celina Football and prayer in the newspaper.
http://www.heralddemocrat.com/hd/News/12-18-Celi-story

Ranger Mom
09-05-2010, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by orange machine
Here is an article about Celina Football and prayer in the newspaper.
http://www.heralddemocrat.com/hd/News/12-18-Celi-story

As long as I have lived in Greenwood, the teams have always met in the middle of the field after the game and prayed.

Txbroadcaster
09-05-2010, 02:03 PM
Why is it so important to have a pre game prayer? IMO your beliefs are a personal and private thing..why feel the need to say LOOK AT ME WE ARE PRAYING IN PUBLIC.

Bosqueville
09-05-2010, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Why is it so important to have a pre game prayer? IMO your beliefs are a personal and private thing..why feel the need to say LOOK AT ME WE ARE PRAYING IN PUBLIC.

Why not? If I had a son playing I would want everyone praying for his safety!

Txbroadcaster
09-05-2010, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Bosqueville
Why not? If I had a son playing I would want everyone praying for his safety!

why not? because again I said I feel your beliefs are a personal thing and I think people that NEED to pray in public are only doing it because they feel the need to say LOOK AT ME I LOVE GOD

DDBooger
09-05-2010, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Bosqueville
Why not? If I had a son playing I would want everyone praying for his safety! Does prayer work better in bulk?

Ranger Mom
09-05-2010, 02:17 PM
why not? because again I said I feel your beliefs are a personal thing and I think people that NEED to pray in public are only doing it because they feel the need to say LOOK AT ME I LOVE GOD

I don't think I have ever been to a game where everyone was praying out loud!!

Txbroadcaster
09-05-2010, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I don't think I have ever been to a game where everyone was praying out loud!!

the need for a prayer over the PA IMO is what I mean.

Looking4number8
09-05-2010, 02:19 PM

If thats why you are praying, it's not a prayer

MN95
09-05-2010, 02:20 PM

You are welcome to your beliefs, so when the opportunity to pray is there, just pass on it. In the same way, if there is a group of people who want to pray, allow them the same right. There may be those that are doing it to be seen. Respectfully, only God knows that for sure, I don't believe that you do. So why concern yourself with it?

orange machine
09-05-2010, 02:21 PM
That maybe true in some cases, but Jesus said do not be ashamed to pray. I take that as by yourself or in public. Prayer is another way to witness to an unbeliever. No where that I'm aware of in the bible does it say that you should pray alone and it be a personal thing. The reason our country and the world is falling apart is because lack of faith and prayer.

Txbroadcaster
09-05-2010, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by MN95
You are welcome to your beliefs, so when the opportunity to pray is there, just pass on it. In the same way, if there is a group of people who want to pray, allow them the same right. There may be those that are doing it to be seen. Respectfully, only God knows that for sure, I don't believe that you do. So why concern yourself with it?

I DONT concern myself..but I feel all those that scream we MUST have prayer in public and we MUST have it on the PA are not doing it for the right reasons..I do pray..I do it in private and I do it without pomp and circumstance

DDBooger
09-05-2010, 02:23 PM
The reason our country and the world is falling apart is because lack of faith and prayer. LMAO I believe there is quite more evidence to the contrary. "My God is better than yours" is a much more antagonistic quality of humanity.

Txbroadcaster
09-05-2010, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
Does prayer work better in bulk?

DUH ..20 prayers in public means it is answered lol

orange machine
09-05-2010, 02:25 PM
I DONT concern myself..but I feel all those that scream we MUST have prayer in public and we MUST have it on the PA are not doing it for the right reasons..I do pray..I do it in private and I do it without pomp and circumstance
Like MN95 said there Maybe some doing it for the wrong reasons, but that's not up to us to judge.

orange machine
09-05-2010, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
LMAO I believe there is quite more evidence to the contrary. "My God is better than yours" is a much more antagonistic quality of humanity.
I'm not gonna debate what I know to be true, but I will discuss and witness to anyone that would like to hear the good news of Jesus Christ!!!:clap:

DDBooger
09-05-2010, 02:29 PM
I'm not gonna debate what I know to be true, but I will discuss and witness to anyone that would like to hear to good news of Jesus Christ!!!:clap: Really isn't a debate. But I'm elated that you take a positive approach. I find that to be quite a rarity now a days.

icu812
09-05-2010, 02:31 PM
That maybe true in some cases, but Jesus said do not be ashamed to pray. I take that as by yourself or in public. Prayer is another way to witness to an unbeliever. No where that I'm aware of in the bible does it say that you should pray alone and it be a personal thing. The reason our country and the world is falling apart is because lack of faith and prayer.

Actually, doctrine supports prayer in private and not public prayer. This is supported by lots of scripture, plus Jesus prayed in.............private. He publically blessed/healed but then left and to pray in private.

orange machine
09-05-2010, 02:33 PM
I'm not saying that your not supposed to pray alone or in private, but it's ok as a body of believers where ever they may gather and pray openly.

buckeyebob
09-06-2010, 05:39 AM
We end every game on the field with a prayer...that is just how Gilmer rolls.

Macarthur
09-06-2010, 02:05 PM
icu, is right. Jesus actually says to go to your closet and pray.

I kinda fall on the side that much of this is so someone can been 'seen'.