PDA

View Full Version : Brownwood - Cameron Yoe - 7 on 7 Success

Milk That Cow
09-04-2010, 12:15 AM
Just got off the phone with a Cameron buddy and he was ranting and raving about how 7 on 7 totally jacked up their offense and has the boys playing at an extreme high level of confidence..

Says it's not a coincidence that Brownwood and Cameron Yoe are doing strong out of the gate, because both looked very sharp this summer...

I know that there was a thread awhile back about Flag Football not being an indicator of how good the season would be...

But, is 2010 the year that changes?

DParker
09-04-2010, 12:25 AM
no

BEAST
09-04-2010, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by Milk That Cow
Just got off the phone with a Cameron buddy and he was ranting and raving about how 7 on 7 totally jacked up their offense and has the boys playing at an extreme high level of confidence..

Says it's not a coincidence that Brownwood and Cameron Yoe are doing strong out of the gate, because both looked very sharp this summer...

I know that there was a thread awhile back about Flag Football not being an indicator of how good the season would be...

Only an idiot would deny that 7 on 7 makes your O better. D as well.

BEAST

Yoe_09
09-04-2010, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by BEAST

BEAST

+1

Rocket
09-04-2010, 12:34 AM

BEAST

This board is full of idiots. Take your pick.

hollywood
09-04-2010, 12:46 AM
Timing!!!!

Dogman_1969
09-04-2010, 01:28 PM
Anyone who thinks 7on7 doesn't improve the skills of your football players doesn't know much. It polishes your qb skills and forces your qb to learn to throw passes with limited time and usually against tight man coverage. Also those old slow lazy non sharp routes at half speed doesn't work either so receivers must go all out as well.

As far as defense it helps your defenders learn to cover man to man and to read the qb on routes

Txbroadcaster
09-04-2010, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Milk That Cow

Those who know have known well before 2010 that 7 on 7 helps on many levels...7 on 7 is not some secret that people are just discovering

Old Tiger
09-04-2010, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Dogman_1969
Anyone who thinks 7on7 doesn't improve the skills of your football players doesn't know much. It polishes your qb skills and forces your qb to learn to throw passes with limited time and usually against tight man coverage. Also those old slow lazy non sharp routes at half speed doesn't work either so receivers must go all out as well.

As far as defense it helps your defenders learn to cover man to man and to read the qb on routes wish Rockdale would have played 7on7 this year so the QB would have gotten some good experience against upperclassmen talent.

Looking4number8
09-04-2010, 02:20 PM
The biggest improvement I have noticed in our team this year is our defensive secondary... I would think 7 on 7 had to help that some

hollywood
09-04-2010, 03:48 PM

BEAST

Beast,again, great job!!!

Matthew328
09-04-2010, 06:03 PM
About five years ago the nature of 7 on 7 changed...teams who generally play elite 7 on 7 will generally play a high level of football in the fall

Milk That Cow
09-04-2010, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
About five years ago the nature of 7 on 7 changed...teams who generally play elite 7 on 7 will generally play a high level of football in the fall

Matthew, at mid-season(if you have time) you ought to revisit the top 10 teams in both Divisions of 7 on 7 and see what kind of success they are having this fall...

Brownwood and Cameron Yoe are playing lights out right now...

txsportswriter
09-04-2010, 08:34 PM
I've coached Yoakum in 7-on-7 the past few years and I can see a major difference in route running and quarterback play and it really helps your defensive pass coverage. But, one of the MAJOR impacts it has is conditioning. The boys that have done 7-on-7 in the past seem like they're in better shape come two-a-days than the ones who didn't play. It now seems like our linemen (ones who don't get an opportunity to play 7-on-7) are trying to catch up (to those who did play 7-on-7) on the conditioning aspect of the game.

So, I would agree that 7-on-7 does help a football program no matter how you look at it. It beats kids staying at home doing nothing. I don't care if you're running the same offensive and defensive schemes as the high school team does or not. Staying in shape, working on route running, QB throwing on the run, pocket passing, feet work, defensive coverages, etc. Nothing but good things!

VWG
09-05-2010, 01:15 PM
Take a look at an older post on The Old Coach. I think if you poll coaches it's about 60/40 on whether or not they like 7 on 7.

I look at it this way. What is going on in athletic periods during the spring? Off season football. In 4A and 5A you're actually practicing in pads, etc....
Roll that over to summer and now you've got 7 on 7 starting up.
You've got some parents who love it as they get to watch their kid participate. You've got some coaches that love it as he feels it keeps the athletes from laying around and not keeping in shape.
You've got the marketing guys that love it because let's face it, it's putting cash in their pockets.
As far as success towards the real season?
How many teams were involved in this years state 7 on 7 tournament? Out of all the teams that were involved in the state tournament, what percentage will make the playoffs? That also may be misleading due to the watering down of UIL playoff system and redistricting.

Just because you play 7 on 7 doesn't mean it will translate into wins on Friday night. The guys in the trenches have a lot to do with success on Friday nights.

Did Breckenridge play in the 7 on 7 state tournament? Why have they started 2-0 and just put up 35 and 42 in their first two games?
What about Anna? Coyotes are 2-0 for the first time in a long time.

Iraan participated in 7 on 7 and they are 1-1, with 14 and 7 points scored in their first two games.
Graham, 7 on 7 state tournament qualifiers too like Iraan, 1-1 with a whopping 17 pts scored in their first 2 games.

What I am getting at is that 7 on 7 is a great practice tool, but to say it brings on success over weight room, regular speed/agility drills, etc.... isn't true.

Matthew328
09-05-2010, 02:16 PM
My whole contention in regards to 7 on 7 involves the teams who play it at an elite level. Look at the teams who make the Quarter-Finals in the two 7 on 7 tournaments....then lets look at the end of the season and see how they did in the fall..

Does 7 on 7 success mean success in the fall?? I think generally speaking yes...is it because they are playing 7 on 7?? NO...generally kids who are fast, can throw and catch and cover are generally good football players so they'd be good if they didn't do 7 on 7...

I do think success in 7 on 7 is a strong indicator that said team has a good chance of success in the fall..

hollywood
09-11-2010, 01:03 PM
Theory holding true so far. This Bwd team is one of the best conditioned teams I've seen in a while. Route running, passing timing, secondary coverage, LB pass coverage... In the 4th qtr, Bwd was able to pour it on Sville when they were sucking for air. That's a result from a great 7 on 7 successful season! This isn't a result from 7 on 7, but Bwd flat out whooped Sville's big boys in the trenches. Overall, when a team has great talented players like Bwd and they are desiplined to being conditioned as well as they are, look out! Only thing to stop this team is themselves. Wow, very impressive against a good Sville team.

BaseballUmp
09-11-2010, 03:04 PM
Cameron offense never got to stay on the field last night lol we kept scoring so quickly and then ran the D back out there for 6-7 minutes a drive against rockdale. We got to the point where they had to pass and it was easy "pickings" lol just gotta keep working on the run D. We were only allowing about 3 a rush before Rockdale, but they did a number on us last night.