PDA

View Full Version : Question about highschool overtime

theyoefnshow
11-19-2002, 04:02 PM
In a way, this is an irrevelant question but I'm still curious. Friday night when Cameron beat Gatesville, we recovered a Gatesville fumble after we had already scored. By all accounts, the game came to an end since Gatesville failed to score. HOWEVER, the fumble was picked up by Cameron and run back to the 10. If he had made it to the endzone, would the touchdown have counted or not? Just wondering........the score was already 28-21 Cameron but would it have been jumped up to 35 or no?

PPHSfan
11-19-2002, 04:05 PM
The score would jump to 34 not 35, according to overtime rules, the extra point would not be attempted.

theyoefnshow
11-19-2002, 04:08 PM
sorry, 34 is what I meant, I knew the PAT would not be attempted/allowed

sinton66
11-19-2002, 06:24 PM
Wait a minute guys, if there was still time on the clock, the game is played as usual isn't it? They don't play "sudden death" OT's, right? Don't they play the full extra period?

whtfbplaya
11-19-2002, 06:42 PM
No both teams get alternating posetions untill one team is ahead after the other has had there chance.

If the first team got the ball and fumbled then the other team would get it at the 25 with a chance to win by scoring any points fg or td.

In the case he described the other team had already scored, and this was their chance but they fumbled. game over.

The clock is turned off in OT. They do not play a full pierod of OT. Alternating posetions starting at the 25 going in.

wildstangs
11-19-2002, 06:42 PM
I hate the overtime rule. I would rather just add another quarter, reduced in time maybe. Or start teams from at least the 50 yard line. I think it is unfair to the team that has to go first. If the fail to score, all the other team has to do is kick a field goal from their 25 yard line. Thats just me though.

Sinton fan, there is no time on the clock in overtime.

whtfbplaya
11-19-2002, 06:43 PM
5:42 seems to be a popular time.

sinton66
11-19-2002, 06:47 PM
Well, I've never seen an overtime in highschool, so didn't really know. So it is a sudden death. I don't much like that idea either. Should be another full period.

whtfbplaya
11-19-2002, 06:49 PM
No it is not sudden death, both teams get at least one possesion.