PDA

View Full Version : My Thoughts on Dallas Madison

Txbroadcaster
09-03-2010, 07:48 AM
Broadcast their 60-47 Win over Kimball....som of my thoughts

DANGEROUS team..both to the opponent and to themselves.

Have a legit 6'7 QB who can run and has a nice arm. Have 2-3 RBS they work in, but Eric Horsley was the spark and the kid runs well....The OL at times are a swinging gate who seem slow out of their stance. Reginald Johnson is a good WR with speed..they did a good job hiding him in formations.

On defense their LBs are FAST..but easily get lost in mis-direction...DL played better when they were in a 4 man front as compared to a 3 man front..the DL is not amazing, but active...secondary gets lost at times, other times played solid.

This team was down 28-20 at half and scored 32 points in 3rd Q..they showed when they set the run first they are an explosive offense. Made WAY to many mistakes basically giving Kimball 3 turnovers and short field in 1st half...when they fixed that their offensive dominance showed.

Their RBs run HARD..I mean REAL HARD..in a 5 play stretch their running backs punished Kimball defense to the point that Kimball lost a defensive player on each of those 5 playes when the Madison RBs ran over them.

I think IF..and a BIG IF but if this team cleans up their play calling and mistakes they could be Dangerous come play off time...problem is I dont know how challenged they will be in district to force them to clean up the little things.

Gsquared
09-03-2010, 08:10 AM
Yeah, your right when and if they clean some stuff up they can be dangerous!

NastySlot
09-03-2010, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Broadcast their 60-47 Win over Kimball....som of my thoughts

DANGEROUS team..both to the opponent and to themselves.

Have a legit 6'7 QB who can run and has a nice arm. Have 2-3 RBS they work in, but Eric Horsley was the spark and the kid runs well....The OL at times are a swinging gate who seem slow out of their stance. Reginald Johnson is a good WR with speed..they did a good job hiding him in formations.

On defense their LBs are FAST..but easily get lost in mis-direction...DL played better when they were in a 4 man front as compared to a 3 man front..the DL is not amazing, but active...secondary gets lost at times, other times played solid.

This team was down 28-20 at half and scored 32 points in 3rd Q..they showed when they set the run first they are an explosive offense. Made WAY to many mistakes basically giving Kimball 3 turnovers and short field in 1st half...when they fixed that their offensive dominance showed.

Their RBs run HARD..I mean REAL HARD..in a 5 play stretch their running backs punished Kimball defense to the point that Kimball lost a defensive player on each of those 5 playes when the Madison RBs ran over them.

I think IF..and a BIG IF but if this team cleans up their play calling and mistakes they could be Dangerous come play off time...problem is I dont know how challenged they will be in district to force them to clean up the little things.

thanks I wondering what they had....saw just looking to statewide scores on sunday they has blasted Cleburne.

Matthew328
09-03-2010, 08:21 AM
Madison's coaches told me this was by far the best team they've ever had...they are playing the #8 team in the country next week so hopefully they dont get beat up too bad

LE Dad
09-03-2010, 08:35 AM
They are doing exactly what I feared last January. Their basketball team looked like a spread offense at regional tourney and it turned some heads and had a few of us talking about if Madison had a QB lookout...well I guess they do so LOOKOUT!!!

Very tall,very athletic, and the one team that I will say without a doubt has more speed than LE!

Txbroadcaster
09-03-2010, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by Matthew328
Madison's coaches told me this was by far the best team they've ever had...they are playing the #8 team in the country next week so hopefully they dont get beat up too bad

IMO nowhere NEAR as good as the 2005 squad..the defense for that team was GOOD...this year's D has some speed and talent, but nowhere close to that 05 group

eagles_victory
09-03-2010, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by LE Dad
They are doing exactly what I feared last January. Their basketball team looked like a spread offense at regional tourney and it turned some heads and had a few of us talking about if Madison had a QB lookout...well I guess they do so LOOKOUT!!!

Very tall,very athletic, and the one team that I will say without a doubt has more speed than LE! I don't think too many are the same kids. I understand the fightin' Valiquettes QB played basketball but I know most of their main b-ball guys are straight hoops.

Gsquared
09-03-2010, 08:49 AM
Yeah, I think that Miami school will probably roll them pretty good, I hope they pick themselves up after that one and continue what they got goin!

BILLYFRED0000
09-03-2010, 09:05 AM
They sound good. I would like to see that. I like the coach and what he tries to do. He had a pretty good team with Shawnbrey and now sounds like he is back with a potentially deep run.

LE Dad
09-03-2010, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
I don't think too many are the same kids. I understand the fightin' Valiquettes QB played basketball but I know most of their main b-ball guys are straight hoops. Really?? They had some kids that are just born to play WR and I have no doubt that D1 scouts would be all over them. It is ashame that they don't play both but at the same time I am not going to complain.:devil:

Matthew328
09-03-2010, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
IMO nowhere NEAR as good as the 2005 squad..the defense for that team was GOOD...this year's D has some speed and talent, but nowhere close to that 05 group

I didnt think so either but hey if the coach tells me it counts for something..

crzyjournalist03
09-03-2010, 12:22 PM
Didn't Madison get some of the kids who went to the old Wilmer-Hutchins?

If so, I'd just like to point out that they could be very dangerous OFF the field too!

Gsquared
09-03-2010, 12:22 PM
I didnt think so either but hey if the coach tells me it counts for something..
They might be as good as that 05 team but they are definatly more blanced.

Matthew328
09-03-2010, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03

If so, I'd just like to point out that they could be very dangerous OFF the field too!

I dont believe so...I think they wound up at Roosevelt, A Maceo Smith, Carter or SOC

STANG RED
09-03-2010, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Gsquared
Yeah, your right when and if they clean some stuff up they can be dangerous!

Isnt that pretty much the same story most every year with them?

This used to be the same story with Abilene High for many years. Then they finally got the right HC in there to clean the program up and install some discipline. Look at them now.

Lucky2Coach
09-03-2010, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03

I have a ton of respect for Madison HS, their Principal, and their HC (he and his staff are good Christian men). I coached at a school in their district for one year, and I was impressed time after time by everything about that school. The school is in a very rough part of Dallas, Fair Park. The school itself is a beacon in that community. The inside of the school is pristine, and their kids are very, very well-behaved! Everyone at the school and in the community refers to it as "The Great James Madison High School", and they hold their kids to a very high standard! I know at one point, and probably still, it was a 90-90-90 school. At least 90% at risk in population, 90% minority, and 90% in all TAKs subjects. That is very impressive, and extremely rare. I will always be a fan of Madison!

Gsquared
09-03-2010, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED

This used to be the same story with Abilene High for many years. Then they finally got the right HC in there to clean the program up and install some discipline. Look at them now.
I guess, but there is a big misconception about DISD schools being undisciplined. The problem isnt so much a disciplinie issue is that its a resource issue. Ask KAorder. DISD schools pretty much have one (two if they are lucky) real coach. The other "coaches" are often janitors or other employees at the school, that can pretty much only give the head coach down and distance from the booth. They dont have 8 or 9 coaches on staff that can put a head set on and tell the HC what alignment the other team is in etc.....

Txbroadcaster
09-03-2010, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED

I have broadcast a few Madison games going back to the 2004 and discipline has not been a problem...when we talk about cleanign things up mean better blocking, better tackling..better play calling as the coaches get a feel for this team this season.

This is not a team with a bunch of athletes doing their own thing..this like most Madison teams is a solid team with some key holes..We will now see if they can fill those holes by the time play off season begins

Matthew328
09-03-2010, 02:14 PM
When I went visited Madison the school was very nice on the inside and each and every kid treated me with respect and said yes sir and no sir without hesitation.

It is in a real rough part of Dallas and there's not much community support but they do have a small and loyal fan base and they take a lot of pride in that school.

100% agree on the resource issues, its tough to work on the little details during the week when you have 2 or 3 real qualified coaches at most. Madison actually may have one of the better staffs in DISD

BILLYFRED0000
09-03-2010, 02:19 PM
When I went visited Madison the school was very nice on the inside and each and every kid treated me with respect and said yes sir and no sir without hesitation.

It is in a real rough part of Dallas and there's not much community support but they do have a small and loyal fan base and they take a lot of pride in that school.

100% agree on the resource issues, its tough to work on the little details during the week when you have 2 or 3 real qualified coaches at most. Madison actually may have one of the better staffs in DISD

IT is very unfortunate but true that one of the big issues is getting coaches to go there and then giving them support when you do. I do wish them all the best. DISD has a lot on it's collective plate but I think attention should be paid when a school does what Madison is doing under the circumstances they find themselves in. that area is a tough area but somehow that school is giving the kids hope and a lifeline. Go Madison.

STANG RED
09-03-2010, 02:26 PM
Thanks for all the info on Madison. I had heard lots of good things about the HC, but had no idea he was pretty much a one man show over there. I guess it's pretty amazing he's able to get the success he does, without getting anymore help than he has. Again, thanks for all the good info, from all of you guys.