PDA

View Full Version : UIL Rules Question

eagles_victory
09-03-2010, 07:23 AM
There is a team close to where I live (Alderbranch) that eats a local resataurant every gameday the morning before and local bussinesses donate money for the kids to eat. Isn't this illegal?

ctown
09-03-2010, 08:58 AM
Probably is not legal. No gifts of much value can be given to athletes. The players probably need to pay a couple bucks to make it legal.

eagles_victory
09-03-2010, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by ctown
Probably is not legal. No gifts of much value can be given to athletes. The players probably need to pay a couple bucks to make it legal. Maybe they are but wasn't a Katy team knocked out of the playoffs a few years back for something like this?

LE Dad
09-03-2010, 09:14 AM
What you are describing is not legal.

eagles_victory
09-03-2010, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by LE Dad
What you are describing is not legal. I didn't think it was maybe i misunderstood the information.

Cowboy_Up
09-03-2010, 09:54 AM
Probably every kid pays a couple of bucks and that makes it legal.

Personally, if I want to buy a bunch of kids something to eat I don't know why UIL or school districts need to get involved. I promise you no one will cry if the band director buys pizza for the band. I can see putting limits so wealthy boosters aren't buying kids cars or something, but when a group of parents can't cook burgers for a bunch of kids working their tails off in 110 degree heat, then the world's gone mad, IMO.

teetle
09-03-2010, 10:15 AM
Well that bes the ways it be. UIL theys gets there ways. Yous can cry about it alls yous wants. :D :hairpunk: :hairpunk: :D

mlb04stangs
09-03-2010, 10:35 AM
How wrong is it to feed a bunch of hungry kids, when did it become wrong to do the right thing?

NastySlot
09-03-2010, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by mlb04stangs
How wrong is it to feed a bunch of hungry kids, when did it become wrong to do the right thing?

when parents and booster got too execisive ...going overboard.

I say amend the rule and let the kids be feed.....this is a rule that I ll go out on a limb and say is broken often.....but is a reasonable meal really going to affect the outcome of a game?.........i say feed the kids.

Farmersfan
09-03-2010, 11:27 AM
As long as the SCHOOL feeds them then I don't see a problem with it! But fans, boosters or alumini should not be allowed to do so. That opens the door for a lot of "Gray Area" and far too many people use gray area to their advantage. (if you know what I mean)

Trench Warrior
09-03-2010, 11:31 AM
As long as the invitation was open to the whole student body of the school and not just the athletes it is not illegal. And as of this year the UIL dropped all of its rules and guidelines for the feeding of athletes.

BaseballUmp
09-03-2010, 12:01 PM
When I was in high school, we always had meals on thursday nights. Usually it was all the seniors parents that cooked and any varsity of any sport in that season could come eat. Everyone would usually chip in atleast a dollar so it was all good.

Then when I was a junior when we were actually good lol and we were playing through thanksgiving, we had a thanksgiving lunch after a morning practice provided by the local bbq joint but we still all pitched in a few dollars.

I remember that same year, there were issues with Hutto receiving free meals (allegedly). It was brought up after we beat them in the district championship then when we played again in the 4th round lots of them were bragging about it and stuff...
I'll probably always hate Jeremy (Golden Child) Kerley haha the most cocky arrogant player I ever met lol

wimbo_pro
09-03-2010, 12:16 PM
If you are a fan or booster...and you have a BBQ at your house for the team...is THAT illegal?

Old Tiger
09-03-2010, 12:18 PM
When we were in HS we'd pay $5 per home game and eat a $9-10 meal.

Ernest T Bass
09-03-2010, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro
If you are a fan or booster...and you have a BBQ at your house for the team...is THAT illegal?

If it's closed to non-athletes, then yes, it's illegal.

Trench Warrior
09-03-2010, 12:20 PM
All the what if's and different situations is why the UIL chose to drop all of their regulations on it. It became to hard to enforce, and when you get down to it, there is too much of a gray area.

ronwx5x
09-03-2010, 12:29 PM
I'm hungry now.:thinking:

JustAFan
09-03-2010, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Trench Warrior
And as of this year the UIL dropped all of its rules and guidelines for the feeding of athletes.

Not quite. The school district must approve the meals. Parents and/or community members may provide meals, as long as the district approves it. It cannot be as a reward (i.e. you can't take them out to eat because they beat your rival), but it can be before, during or after any practice or game. Again, the rule is the district must approve the meal.

kaorder1999
09-03-2010, 02:53 PM
dont know exact rule but i was told this year that you no longer have to collect money from the kids....

kaorder1999
09-03-2010, 02:55 PM
checked into it...boosters can feed the kids as long as the principal is aware of it and approves it. No longer have to charge the kids...

Trench Warrior
09-03-2010, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by JustAFan
Not quite. The school district must approve the meals. Parents and/or community members may provide meals, as long as the district approves it. It cannot be as a reward (i.e. you can't take them out to eat because they beat your rival), but it can be before, during or after any practice or game. Again, the rule is the district must approve the meal.

And this is the best possible solution to me. I think we all know the UIL didn't really have any business messing with the feeding of athletes, for whatever reason, and that there really aren't any districts out there that are going to tell their communities that they cannot support the kids.(Even if it is a reward)

mlb04stangs
09-03-2010, 04:06 PM
I understand the whole "open to the whole student body" argument but if u wanna say it bout something like that then it should be said for the drug testing policies that r being put into place, but all that aside as long as their not putting steroids in the food or anything to enhance their performance or stamina or anything that would effect the outcome, then why would it b such a wrong thing to do?

mwynn05
09-03-2010, 06:45 PM
these guys are right...UIL changed this rule this yr