PDA

View Full Version : Tortillas Banned From Texas School Celebrations

IrishTex
09-02-2010, 10:09 PM
Tonight, Texas A&M-Kingsville kicks off the season at Northwest Missouri State, in a continuance of the epic D-II rivalry. (Maybe. I don't know.) One mainstay that will be absent: the traditional Tossing Of The Tortillas after Kingsville touchdowns.

For decades, it's been standard for A&M-Kingsville fans to throw tortillas on the field after their Javelinas score. But the school's putting a stop to it, for three reasons. School president Steven Tallant said it looks bad when students waste food when there are starving people out there. Additionally, it creates an injury hazard, as evidenced in this anecdote:

Chemistry professor Mauro Castro said his 5-year-old son was treated by football trainers after a hardened tortilla struck him in the nose at Javelina Stadium during a run with Porky's Pack, the children who rush the field with Porky, the Javelinas mascot.

But you know what's not funny? Racism. And Kingsville, with a majority Hispanic student body, has caught flack recently for what some consider an insensitive gesture. But if that's so offensive, they might have to ban the throwing of rice after UCLA scores, and Wonder Bread at BYU.

Link (http://www.caller.com/news/2010/sep/02/am-kingsville-is-right-to-ban-tortilla-tossing/)

NateDawg39
09-02-2010, 10:58 PM
All I got from this was what I want for lunch tomorrow. La Fiesta in Carthage :)

And I am pretty sure the tortilla is from Europe but implemented my Mexico. I really hate how people get offended in todays world. It is pretty lame and ignorant.

SintonFan
09-02-2010, 11:08 PM
Hockey teams throw squid...
those can hurt you much more.
Friggin' little suckers.

STANG RED
09-03-2010, 12:01 AM
I remember when they used to throw tortillas at TT. But that was stopped several years ago. I think it had more to do with the huge mess it made more than anything. Plus they get very slimmy when they get wet. Then it really gets messy.