PDA

View Full Version : Question about the hurry up and wait type offenses

BaseballUmp
09-02-2010, 07:10 PM
We have all seen the offenses that hurry up to the line and get set then they coach yells out and half the team steps back and looks, how is this not a flag? I've always wondered that...

orange machine
09-02-2010, 07:14 PM
I like the old school offense where the oline gets up to the line and puts their hands on their knees then when the qb says down they get in the 3 point stance all at once that just looks cool.

bwdlionfan
09-02-2010, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp
We have all seen the offenses that hurry up to the line and get set then they coach yells out and half the team steps back and looks, how is this not a flag? I've always wondered that...

I've wondered that too....

I also wonder why some teams use hurry up offense but take the entire play clock (and sometimes have delay of game penalties) before they get the snap off.

wimbo_pro
09-02-2010, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by bwdlionfan
I've wondered that too....

I also wonder why some teams use hurry up offense but take the entire play clock (and sometimes have delay of game penalties) before they get the snap off.

Wimberley does this, and I have come to believe it has nothing to do with "hurry up". It has to do with the ability to have a wide range of options available for the coaches to call as they see the defense scheme develop as players come in and out.

Emerson1
09-02-2010, 07:44 PM
It's a no huddle, not a hurry up. There is a difference.

BaseballUmp
09-02-2010, 07:45 PM
Yea well still, qb rb te and wrs all looking back and they all make a move, how is that not a false start or something...

BLACK&GOLD4LIFE
09-02-2010, 07:47 PM
The reason they do this is so that when they line up on the line, it forces the defense to line up, then the coaches can call a play based on where the defense is lined up

bwdlionfan
09-02-2010, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
It's a no huddle, not a hurry up. There is a difference.

Well, I've seen us do it before when time was running down in a half... trying to hurry

wimbo_pro
09-02-2010, 07:48 PM
Yea well still, qb rb te and wrs all looking back and they all make a move, how is that not a false start or something...

I guess its because they arent "set" yet, according to the rules.

BaseballUmp
09-02-2010, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by BLACK&GOLD4LIFE
The reason they do this is so that when they line up on the line, it forces the defense to line up, then the coaches can call a play based on where the defense is lined up

I know why its done, we did it in high school as well, just don't understand how its legal that's all

BLACK&GOLD4LIFE
09-02-2010, 07:54 PM
I know why its done, we did it in high school as well, just don't understand how its legal that's all

The Guys are never set.. the lineman can move all they want untill the officially get set.. so can the backs

Emerson1
09-02-2010, 07:56 PM
Copperas Cove has a play where the entire line will stand up and go back down real fast. Defense jumps every time.

BaseballUmp
09-02-2010, 08:07 PM
I guess if the centers hand is not on the ball the line can, but once his hand is on it states that no lineman between him and the end of the line may make any moves, but i can understand about the rest of the guys on the field as long is its in unison and it isn't like they are simulating any part of the play like a snap or catch or something like that

GrTigers6
09-02-2010, 10:16 PM
Yeah we do it alot. they will even swap recievers on the line to the backfield or across the field. It helps keep the defense guessing as well is my guess as to why the do it.

GrTigers6
09-02-2010, 10:20 PM
And yes it can be nerve racking when they run it down to 1 or 2 before snapping it. :doh:

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
09-02-2010, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro
Wimberley does this, and I have come to believe it has nothing to do with "hurry up". It has to do with the ability to have a wide range of options available for the coaches to call as they see the defense scheme develop as players come in and out.

In the land of the blind, the man with one eye leads the way.