PDA

View Full Version : Dallas People

Daddy D 11
08-31-2010, 10:57 PM
What's SMU like? In 3 weeks I'm going up for the TCU-Baylor game on saturday, but on friday I'm touring SMU's law school and I was just wondering what should I expect? I know it's right next to HP, and i know what that means lol but is it a good place to live? Is crime a factor? What are the pro's and con's I guess is what I'm asking? Local advice is always the best.

Thanks

Txbroadcaster
08-31-2010, 11:03 PM
SMU is old money..area around it is nice...traffic can be KILLER.

Bigworm
08-31-2010, 11:43 PM
Daddy D!!...long time no see...SH plays Baylor this weekend. Hopefully we can pull it off haha

bwdlionfan
09-01-2010, 06:47 AM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
What's SMU like? In 3 weeks I'm going up for the TCU-Baylor game on saturday, but on friday I'm touring SMU's law school and I was just wondering what should I expect? I know it's right next to HP, and i know what that means lol but is it a good place to live? Is crime a factor? What are the pro's and con's I guess is what I'm asking? Local advice is always the best.

Thanks

pretty dang nice campus... avoid rush hour though

LE Dad
09-01-2010, 08:51 AM
Those are some of the healthiest people I have ever seen!!!! Joggers everywhere, organic food stores, smoothie bars, over all though that area is very nice, parking and traffic are BAD. My nephew live not too far from there and enjoys the area, there's no shortage of activities.

Ranger Mom
09-01-2010, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by LE Dad
Those are some of the healthiest people I have ever seen!!!! Joggers everywhere, organic food stores, smoothie bars, over all though that area is very nice, parking and traffic are BAD. My nephew live not too far from there and enjoys the area, there's no shortage of activities.

Is that where Gilmer and AW played last year??

I remember leaving the game at halftime to go sit in the truck because my daughter and I were FREEZING.

We were watching crazy people jogging by in shorts and a hoodie!!!!!!:eek:

LE Dad
09-01-2010, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Is that where Gilmer and AW played last year??

I remember leaving the game at halftime to go sit in the truck because my daughter and I were FREEZING.

We were watching crazy people jogging by in shorts and a hoodie!!!!!!:eek: Yes, people are running all day and all night.. year around.

Matthew328
09-01-2010, 09:14 AM
pretty safe area, upscale...SMU is a nice school....

Lucky2Coach
09-01-2010, 09:14 AM
SMU is in the wealthiest part of Dallas. We went to church in the Park cities for the past ten years and overall loved the community. The HP police dept. really looks after that area very well. Virtually no crime at all. Homes, parks, and landscaping are absolutely gorgeous!!! Lots of great restaurants, shopping, and yes the people are very active. Drawbacks, the people are pretentious at surface level, and the traffic is terrible especially on Mockingbird and Lovers Ln. I think you will really enjoy your visit to SMU's campus!

mlb04stangs
09-01-2010, 10:48 AM
Bout to go watch them play in Lubbock this weekend and have nothing against SMU but sure do hope Tech puts it on them and gets off on the right foot to start the season.

Emerson1
09-01-2010, 10:57 AM
Best restaurant in the world is a couple blocks down from SMU.

Campisis on Mockingbird on the other side of 75.

hollywood
09-01-2010, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by LE Dad

+1

NastySlot
09-01-2010, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1

you got that right............the only thing I miss about not living in Dallas.

hollywood
09-01-2010, 11:02 AM

Thanks

Good law school too.

bwdlionfan
09-01-2010, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1

I ate their pizza back in July... it was really good but I wasn't overly impressed.

I like Uno's in Ft Worth better for pizza.

Matthew328
09-01-2010, 01:16 PM
wow Uno's??? Thats just a chain....I am a fan of Campisi's also

Daddy D 11
09-01-2010, 03:33 PM
Thanks a lot. So is there a lot of available/semi affordable housing for law students around campus? That way i can skip out on traffic most days.
I know the advisor i talked to with the law school said a good amount of law students live in some on campus apartment type things that are exclusively for law students. i know that is really convenient as far as traffic is concerned, but i dont know about that for as far as privacy and social life lol I'd prolly want to live off campus?

Great to hear about the crime and what not, I know absolutely nothing about DFW so any news is good news.

LE Dad
09-01-2010, 03:59 PM
Thanks a lot. So is there a lot of available/semi affordable housing for law students around campus? That way i can skip out on traffic most days.
I know the advisor i talked to with the law school said a good amount of law students live in some on campus apartment type things that are exclusively for law students. i know that is really convenient as far as traffic is concerned, but i dont know about that for as far as privacy and social life lol I'd prolly want to live off campus?

Great to hear about the crime and what not, I know absolutely nothing about DFW so any news is good news. Go check it out and decide for yourself, but there is alot to do right in the area. If living on campus is an option I would take it. The campus is intertwined into the neighborhood so its not like you are isolated.

DU_stud04
09-01-2010, 04:21 PM
lower greenville, lots of bars. pretty much right across 75 from smu. just a few blocks over...top golf, there are only 5 of those places in america. its a fun time. addision isnt too far away. i know a few times during traffic when i worked over there to beat jams i would take mockingbird like im going to dallas love and keep going till smu. traffic is horrible in that section, really one of the only drawbacks of the area. lots to do in dallas. ive always preferred nights in downtown ftworth, more laid back feeling compared to the rush and party of dallas. main difference is instead of smu people around you, you have tcu people everywhere.

Z motion 10 out on 2
09-01-2010, 04:50 PM
I would suspect SMU's law school is top notch. I will also throw a plug in for Washburn Law. We are in Topeka Kansas. Check it out.

Daddy D 11
09-01-2010, 08:35 PM
I've looked into KU Law. I like SMU because they offer a specialization in oil&gas law. Which is exactly what I want to do.

I have a feeling i will like the area, I was just wanting to hear what locals had to say before hand lol

bwdlionfan
09-01-2010, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
wow Uno's??? Thats just a chain....I am a fan of Campisi's also

They're a chain but the only one in Texas!

They have pretty awesome pizza