PDA

View Full Version : Good eating place in Stephenville?

BDB
08-31-2010, 09:14 PM
Where is a good place with good food in Stephenville?

Looking4number8
08-31-2010, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by BDB

mcDonalds

BaseballUmp
08-31-2010, 09:16 PM
Whataburger is like 10X better

bwdlionfan
08-31-2010, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by BDB

Montana's on 377 Business across from Tarleton is good.

DU_stud04
08-31-2010, 09:22 PM
montana's isnt too bad. right next to mcdonalds.

Looking4number8
08-31-2010, 09:24 PM
Actually there is a really good spot on the righ as you are comming in from Dublin kind of across from the Walmart. It was built as a Mazzio's pizza but is now ___________. Dang, I cant believe I cant remember the name of that place. It is really good though.

jason
08-31-2010, 09:27 PM
montanas is decent if you are there for half price appetizers, but thats about it...

the best food is a place called the agave, its on 377 headed towards granbury...

the best mexican food is a hole in the wall place called jaliscos - if you can find it, go there....

for good burgers, there is a grumps on the south loop...

a place called the pizza place is also on the south loop, it has the best pizza in town...

basically, anything that is a non-chain restaurant is better than montanas.....

Looking4number8
08-31-2010, 09:30 PM
Cotton Patch is the name of the one I was thinking of.. Jason, what do you think of the Cotton Patch?

jason
08-31-2010, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Looking4number8
Cotton Patch is the name of the one I was thinking of.. Jason, what do you think of the Cotton Patch? its decent....agave is better...

and strangely enough, if you get to the agave early enough, like before 8, its never crowded....

Emerson1
08-31-2010, 09:33 PM
Grumps is good. Get the queso burger. Castillos is good post game food.

steerz2010
08-31-2010, 09:34 PM
THE HARD 8!
the most legit bbq place in texas ;)

jason
08-31-2010, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by steerz2010
THE HARD 8!

hard 8 is the worst bbq place in erath county...

anybody who thinks that is good bbq is a dumbass....

they give away free beer so people get drunk and dont realize how crappy the food is...

BaseballUmp
08-31-2010, 09:37 PM
Tell us what you really think lol

Looking4number8
08-31-2010, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by jason
hard 8 is the worst bbq place in erath county...

anybody who thinks that is good bbq is a dumbass....

they give away free beer so people get drunk and dont realize how crappy the food is...

+1

fresh-j
08-31-2010, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp
Tell us what you really think lol

Lol :D :ditto:

jason
08-31-2010, 09:40 PM
Tell us what you really think lol the banana pudding isnt terrible LOL...

bwdlionfan
08-31-2010, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by jason
montanas is decent if you are there for half price appetizers, but thats about it...

the best food is a place called the agave, its on 377 headed towards granbury...

the best mexican food is a hole in the wall place called jaliscos - if you can find it, go there....

for good burgers, there is a grumps on the south loop...

a place called the pizza place is also on the south loop, it has the best pizza in town...

basically, anything that is a non-chain restaurant is better than montanas.....

I've eaten the chicken fried steak at montana's in Sville twice I guess (been 7-10 years ago though).... and ate it at the one in Granbury last summer... I thought it was great.

Old Tiger
08-31-2010, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by bwdlionfan
Montana's on 377 Business across from Tarleton is good. this

hollywood
08-31-2010, 09:46 PM
Montana's is good if you get the chicken tender platter. Not the cleanest place, but good. Fried pickles, yum.

Grump's is a great place. Almost forgot about that place! I guess I don't eat burgers enough! Queso burger is awesome! Free peanuts while you wait! And, coldest brew in town!

Agave is good, but kinda out of the way and service is inconsistent.

Bull Nettle is a good sports bar, but food is average. Get the Nettle Burger with the Nettle chips and ranch for dipping! Best thing on menu.

Jalisco's is pretty good, but not so clean. Decent Mexican is Mi Familia and is close to stadium.
Hard Eight is pretty good BBQ. GOOD pork chops, about an inch thick. Want cardiac arrest? Dip it in butter!

Cotton Patch is a chain and is consistent!

Best place to eat around Stephenville is the Oak Dale Steakhouse! just north of town on Hwy 6. If you have time of course.

BaseballUmp
08-31-2010, 09:57 PM
Haha dang you fixed it before I could comment on the best thongs lol

hollywood
08-31-2010, 10:00 PM

LOL

Yeah, that would have strung another 2 pages of jokes! Lol

LH Panther Mom
08-31-2010, 10:00 PM
:devil: :devil: Me too! I was in the middle of quoting him while he was editing. :D

hollywood
08-31-2010, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
:devil: :devil: Me too! I was in the middle of quoting him while he was editing. :D

Guess it wouldn't have been the first time! LOL

They probably have those too for all you gents out there! LOL

Emerson1
08-31-2010, 10:09 PM
I make the greatest pb&j in the world.

jason
08-31-2010, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by bwdlionfan
I've eaten the chicken fried steak at montana's in Sville twice I guess (been 7-10 years ago though).... and ate it at the one in Granbury last summer... I thought it was great. cfs is maybe the 5th best in town...

it might have been good 7-10 years ago but now its no more than what you get at a school cafeteria...

jason
08-31-2010, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by hollywood

Best place to eat around Stephenville is the Oak Dale Steakhouse! just north of town on Hwy 6. If you have time of course.

that is a ways out of town so i didnt list it - best steak and/or fried shrimp around...

Sville
08-31-2010, 11:01 PM
As a life long resident and fireman for the last 15 years, I agree 100% with Jason on his food choices.

Jake and Dorothy's is still my favorite chicken fry other than Mary's. Every once in a while you will get one with some gristle, just send it back for another. They will make it right.

The best overall place is the Agave (at City Limits Club).

Hard 8 is overrated and way over priced.

Who ever mentioned Castillos. You wouldn't eat there if you have inspected the kitchen like I have. Throw Golden China on that list as well.

There is a fairly new place across from HEB called Habaneros. It is good. They make burritos Freebird style.

Chili's is consistent and good.

The coldest beer and friendliest service is at Grump's. Good burgers.

Oak Dale Steakhouse is great! If yall come down 108, I would definitely stop there.

GrTigers6
09-01-2010, 06:32 AM
I like Hard 8 but I havent eaten there in a while.My daughter works there so I have to give them a little credit. Grumps is very good. Agave I agree is probably the best and I only had the hamburger, but it was so good I have to imagine that the rest would be as well.
Of course you could drive out this way and try Loco Coyote. Its expensive but you will take home enough food to feed you a couple meals. :D If you go however go early, its gets crowded very fast and you may wait an hour or longer on a weekend night.

Sville
09-01-2010, 08:49 AM
Another place I would not eat that is close to the stadium is Fiddle Creek Steakhouse. It is over priced and I have tried them 3 times and had to send my food back twice. The first time the steak was so bad (it had bad gamey taste) I left 3/4 of it on my plate and they still charged me for it even though I complained.

hollywood
09-01-2010, 08:57 AM
Jake and Dorothy's is a Stephenville historical legend. CFS probably isn't what it used to be. Homemade pies though. It's really just an old fashioned diner, so non-smokers beware.

Hard Eight actually has a really good chopped BBQ sandwich with a jalapeno sourdough bun. Other than that and the pork chop, BBQ is below average.

Habaneros +1 For all you bold enough to try it, they have a "Wall of Flame" if you can eat several of his special tacos (habanero sauce):eek: . Get your photo on the wall and a t-shirt for doing so.

+1 on Grumps. Free peanuts while you wait.

+1 on Oak Dale Steak House. This place has a really cool atmosphere and an old time soda shop.:thumbsup:

hollywood
09-01-2010, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Sville
Another place I would not eat that is close to the stadium is Fiddle Creek Steakhouse. It is over priced and I have tried them 3 times and had to send my food back twice. The first time the steak was so bad (it had bad gamey taste) I left 3/4 of it on my plate and they still charged me for it even though I complained.

+1

ccmom
09-01-2010, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by steerz2010
THE HARD 8!

In my opinion, Hard 8 is "fair", at best and DEFINITELY overpriced. It might be a good place for good ole boys to put away some BBQ, but for a family it is not practical.

Matthew328
09-01-2010, 09:12 AM
I've always wanted to eat at Santa Fe Taco Company but everytime I'm in town they are closed already LOL

BILLYFRED0000
09-01-2010, 09:23 AM
There is a little mexican food place close to the golf course but I cannot remember the name. Coming back from the course into town it is on the right. Decent food and not to expensive.

jason
09-01-2010, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by Matthew328
I've always wanted to eat at Santa Fe Taco Company but everytime I'm in town they are closed already LOL in my opinion, food there is terrible - there is better mexican food in town so don't waste your time...

hollywood
09-01-2010, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Matthew328
I've always wanted to eat at Santa Fe Taco Company but everytime I'm in town they are closed already LOL

Opinions are different. Local fast food. You have your Sante Fe fans and non-fans. Every now and then you need your fix for the Deluxe Nachos and fountain Dr. Pepper. Good combo!

Emerson1
09-01-2010, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Sville

Who ever mentioned Castillos. You wouldn't eat there if you have inspected the kitchen like I have. Throw Golden China on that list as well.

After a long night at City Limits, the kitchen is the least of my concerns when they have a huge plate of chicken nachos for like $5.

BwdLion73
09-01-2010, 10:55 AM
I think I would stop in Brownwood and eat before going on to the Ville.......;) Just sayin they may be waiting for you! :D :D :D

BILLYFRED0000
09-01-2010, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by BwdLion73
I think I would stop in Brownwood and eat before going on to the Ville.......;) Just sayin they may be waiting for you! :D :D :D

Yeah go to underwoods.....

ccmom
09-01-2010, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
Yeah go to underwoods..... :ack!: :ack!:

No, thank you.

:ack!: :ack!:

Matthew328
09-01-2010, 01:12 PM
Underwoods is awful...rolls are good though LOL

Rocket
09-01-2010, 02:12 PM
You either love Underwood's or you hate it. I love it.

hollywood
09-01-2010, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Rocket
You either love Underwood's or you hate it. I love it.

Sausage, rolls, and cobbler good.

Sweetwater Red
09-01-2010, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by ccmom

No, thank you.

Right? I was "forced" to eat there when I went to the jr. high
district track meet last year. I still don't know what kind of meat
my entree was. It tasted like the fake meat that's in a McRib
that had been dipped in burnt BBQ sauce.

Sville
09-01-2010, 03:15 PM
Underwood's is way overrated like Hard 8 is here, IMO.

I do love me some Section Hand Steakhouse in Brownwood. If I'm hungry and in Bwood, that is where I am eating.