Matthew328
08-30-2010, 07:12 PM
Brett Shipp strikes again...tomorrow night at 10pm

NateDawg39
08-30-2010, 07:13 PM
:doh: Thats no bueno

bigwood33
08-30-2010, 07:15 PM
Anyone who supports a high profile team in NT should be on alert!

Matthew328
08-30-2010, 07:17 PM
I think I know who one will be

Old Tiger
08-30-2010, 07:17 PM
for what?

NateDawg39
08-30-2010, 07:18 PM
Well let us see....Highland Park, Celina, SLC...who else is high profile?

Two of those have already been through this crap.

LH Panther Mom
:1popcorn:

NateDawg39
Originally posted by Old Tiger
for what? For winning more than they should. That is not good sportsmanship :mad:

Matthew328
08-30-2010, 07:19 PM
Transfers for athletic purposes...

LH Panther Mom
08-30-2010, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by NateDawg39
For winning more than they should. That is not good sportsmanship :mad:
:doh: :doh: :doh:

NateDawg39
08-30-2010, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
:doh: :doh: :doh: Those smileys are gonna have flat foreheads if they keep smacking themselves like that :)

Old Tiger
08-30-2010, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
Transfers for athletic purposes... Oh...are these school predominately white schools or what?

LH Panther Mom
08-30-2010, 07:23 PM
Oh...are these school predominately white schools or what?
Oh my! Did you just go there? :doh:

bigwood33
08-30-2010, 07:25 PM
Brett Ship probably lives in Highland Park and if he does, and has any sense, he will stay far-far away from them. :rolleyes: Allen and/Trinity could be possibilities too.

NateDawg39
08-30-2010, 07:25 PM
Oh...are these school predominately white schools or what? Don't forget that in the 80's a predominately black school was revoked a season for cheating as well.

How bout them Cowboys eh?

bigwood33
08-30-2010, 07:26 PM
Oh...are these school predominately white schools or what?
They will certainly be suburban schools.

Old Tiger
08-30-2010, 07:26 PM
Don't forget that in the 80's a predominately black school was revoked a season for cheating as well.

How bout them Cowboys eh? I'm trying to narrow it down! lol

NateDawg39
08-30-2010, 07:27 PM
I'm trying to narrow it down! lol Well don't try and JUST DO IIIIIIITTTT!!!!!

mmmk?? :) :)

Matthew328
08-30-2010, 07:27 PM
Shipp is also the same guy who popped SOC

bigwood33
08-30-2010, 07:28 PM
Don't forget that in the 80's a predominately black school was revoked a season for cheating as well.

How bout them Cowboys eh?
But the armed robbery and breaking and entering that was going on there was all over the news. You can't compare ANYTHING that that bunch of criminals. Their prison records assure that.

bigwood33
08-30-2010, 07:30 PM
Shipp is also the same guy who popped SOC
Don't you think that was really about the general corruption in the DISD and SOC just happened to be the "tallest hog at the trough" at the moment?

NateDawg39
08-30-2010, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by bigwood33
But the armed robbery and breaking and entering that was going on there was all over the news. You can't compare ANYTHING that that bunch of criminals. Their prison records assure that. Only Miami can compare

Matthew328
08-30-2010, 07:36 PM
Don't you think that was really about the general corruption in the DISD and SOC just happened to be the "tallest hog at the trough" at the moment?

Possibly...

marler1972
08-30-2010, 07:50 PM
Possibly...

MAybe Denton Ryan?

LE Dad
08-30-2010, 08:53 PM
Well let us see....Highland Park, Celina, SLC...who else is high profile?

Two of those have already been through this crap. It won't be HP.... Thats where Shipp went to school.

Bosqueville
08-30-2010, 09:04 PM
Tallest hog at the trough. That was funny!:clap:

Twirling Time
08-30-2010, 09:04 PM
Celina does it the right way. They recruit in eighth grade. ;)

Matthew328
08-30-2010, 09:05 PM
It's actually for illegal practices not transfers...

NastySlot
08-30-2010, 09:10 PM
But the armed robbery and breaking and entering that was going on there was all over the news. You can't compare ANYTHING that that bunch of criminals. Their prison records assure that.

the carter situation was about grade changes done by the principal and brought forward by a math teacher.....futher investagation revealed players were getting grades when they weren't in class...........the robberies were exposed long after the title...........there were a lot kids on that team that did things the right way.

Twirling Time
08-30-2010, 09:13 PM
It's actually for illegal practices not transfers...

Shouldn't be Celina then. They had so many injuries last year that Butch was almost afraid to have contact in two-a-days this month. It'll be interesting to see who gets popped.

Matthew328
08-30-2010, 09:14 PM
It's more about practices in the spring and summer involving 7 on 7...whats really amusing is one of the teams involved professes disdain for 7 on 7 yet their coaches feel its important enough to organize and coach games against another team...kinda odd...

NastySlot
08-30-2010, 09:16 PM
It's more about practices in the spring and summer involving 7 on 7...whats really amusing is one of the teams involved professes disdain for 7 on 7 yet their coaches feel its important enough to organize and coach games against another team...kinda odd...

DG?

bigwood33
08-30-2010, 09:18 PM
Doesn't Brett Shipp and Channel 8 have some government corruption and or wasted spending to investigate? Too many practices or coaches involvement in 7 on 7 really isn't newsworthy.

Pick6
08-30-2010, 09:22 PM

At the Aubrey 7 on 7 all the teams there had their HC coaching on the sideline. They played I think every Thursday night. The teams I remember there were Aubrey, Collinsville, Lindsay, Sanger and Muenster.

DDBooger
08-30-2010, 09:25 PM
Doesn't Brett Shipp and Channel 8 have some government corruption and or wasted spending to investigate? Too many practices or coaches involvement in 7 on 7 really isn't newsworthy. This is Texas, broseph. Where HS's have million and in some cases multi-million dollar stadiums. Football is business.

Old Tiger
08-30-2010, 09:27 PM
It's more about practices in the spring and summer involving 7 on 7...whats really amusing is one of the teams involved professes disdain for 7 on 7 yet their coaches feel its important enough to organize and coach games against another team...kinda odd... China Spring? lol

bigwood33
08-30-2010, 09:28 PM
I understand but the worst thing that will happen to anyone for practice violations is a very minor slap on the wrist.

Txbroadcaster
08-30-2010, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot
the carter situation was about grade changes done by the principal and brought forward by a math teacher.....futher investagation revealed players were getting grades when they weren't in class...........the robberies were exposed long after the title...........there were a lot kids on that team that did things the right way.

Thank u..We played agianst Carter in the play offs and they were no worse on the field than any other team..the way they are portrayed in the movie and even in the book Friday Night Lights is IMO a bit of an extreme.

ALOT of players on that team did things right..it was only a few that did the robberies and the sad thing was THEY DID NO NEED TO. At that time Carter was a middle class school for the most part..at one time that are was one of the richest minority neighborhoods west of Atlanta..heck the kids did their robberies in a BMW lol

Astrosdawg07
08-30-2010, 09:51 PM
Brownwood! :D Honestly I have no idea though. :thinking:

BEAST
08-30-2010, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Astrosdawg07
Brownwood! :D Honestly I have no idea though. :thinking:

Wishful thinking.

BEAST

LE Dad
08-30-2010, 10:46 PM
Doesn't Brett Shipp and Channel 8 have some government corruption and or wasted spending to investigate? Too many practices or coaches involvement in 7 on 7 really isn't newsworthy. If people watch it then they will report it. It is all about ratings. This could spread to other large areas. There is never a shortage of "wronged" opponets.

slpybear the bullfan
08-30-2010, 10:55 PM
Brett Shipp is a DBag who cannot find real stories to report on.

A year from now, will Brett's little story matter?

Nope.

Those who can... DO.

Those who cant, either...

Teach
Watch
Hate

BLACK ATTACK
08-30-2010, 11:38 PM
One of these days he will investigate Denton Guyer. They recruit more kids than USC

LH Panther Mom
08-31-2010, 04:49 AM
All the Shipp haters I've seen several places crack me up...no offense intended, Slpy. "Investigative" reporters investigate and report. :p And he seems to have a pretty decent resume in what he's uncovered, from what I can see.

LE Dad
08-31-2010, 09:34 AM
All the Shipp haters I've seen several places crack me up...no offense intended, Slpy. "Investigative" reporters investigate and report. :p And he seems to have a pretty decent resume in what he's uncovered, from what I can see. I don't hate him and I agree that if a program is breaking the rules then someone needs to bring it to the UILs attention and action needs to be taken. I don't necessarily think that it needs to be made this big suspense "look who we caught tonight at 10" thing. I would much rather see it handled to where these 15-17y/o kids, that have little control over, but will be the ones we point out, suffer the least amount of embarressment possible.

I just think of the Carter and SOC kids and now SLC kids that had little to do with what was going on around them and now have this "black cloud" over their heads.

I'm off the soap box now.:D

SHSBulldog00
08-31-2010, 10:17 AM
Abilene Wylie:D

LE Dad
08-31-2010, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by SHSBulldog00
Abilene Wylie:D :1popcorn:

jason
08-31-2010, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
Brett Shipp is a DBag who cannot find real stories to report on.

A year from now, will Brett's little story matter?

Nope.

Those who can... DO.

Teach
Watch
Hate

you got it wrong...

those who can, do...
those who cant, teach...
those who cant teach, coach...

slpybear the bullfan
08-31-2010, 10:39 AM
All the Shipp haters I've seen several places crack me up...no offense intended, Slpy. "Investigative" reporters investigate and report. :p And he seems to have a pretty decent resume in what he's uncovered, from what I can see.

Watching Brett's ambush of the Southlake's QB Dad up in Oklahoma was sad. I don't like people who do stuff like that... for their job or their personal life.

My point is simply this... there a ton of stories that could be investigated in the Dallas Fort Worth Metroplex. Brett's own history shows that he can work on some meaningful stories. There is corruption that should be exposed, businesses that run illegally, etc. Brett and the other "investigators" have lots of options to choose from, but pick this? :rolleyes: Its all about money and how well they can get a name for ambushes, drama, and exposes. Not a fan of the news, and these people in particular.

Most of the people praising Brett's story crack me up. I hear two things... either:

a) How happy they are that Southlake was caught (because of their record, "money", success, perceived attitude...)

b) How Brett's story will cause changes to the UIL's transfer policy

Rant off now...

turbostud
08-31-2010, 04:19 PM
So it looks like Trinity.

Link (http://www.hebisd.edu/news/article.asp?ArticleID=895&utm_source=%40hebisd&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=districtnews&utm_source=%40hebisd&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=districtnews)

mwrams
08-31-2010, 04:46 PM
Like it or not rules are rules. If your violating them then don't cry when you get caught. Wrong is wrong and right is right.
Just an example:
Check out a certain move in west of Ft worth. His dad gets a job as a pipeline consultant.
What is a pipeline consultant?
Course you can't blame a parent to want their kid to play for a winner where their going to get the exposure. But, it's still against the rules. Guess you could say it's only holding if you get caught! LOL

Many years ago I watched a TCU alumnus pay offensive lineman several hundreds a week at a job that paid normal workers half of that. Course TCU sucked back then so I didn't see where it was doing any good for the won loss record! LOL

orange machine
08-31-2010, 04:49 PM
It's trinity and slc.

LH Panther Mom
08-31-2010, 05:20 PM
Watching Brett's ambush of the Southlake's QB Dad up in Oklahoma was sad. I don't like people who do stuff like that... for their job or their personal life.

My point is simply this... there a ton of stories that could be investigated in the Dallas Fort Worth Metroplex. Brett's own history shows that he can work on some meaningful stories. There is corruption that should be exposed, businesses that run illegally, etc. Brett and the other "investigators" have lots of options to choose from, but pick this? :rolleyes: Its all about money and how well they can get a name for ambushes, drama, and exposes. Not a fan of the news, and these people in particular.

Most of the people praising Brett's story crack me up. I hear two things... either:

a) How happy they are that Southlake was caught (because of their record, "money", success, perceived attitude...)

b) How Brett's story will cause changes to the UIL's transfer policy

Rant off now...
Oh, I don't completely disagree with you! And my post was more of an in general one rather toward you. I realize I'm not in the metromess but the only time I've heard anything about him is over school violations, of some kind or another. I was kind of impressed that he actually does exposes on real issues outside of high schools! :D

Matthew328
08-31-2010, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by mwrams
Like it or not rules are rules. If your violating them then don't cry when you get caught. Wrong is wrong and right is right.
Just an example:
Check out a certain move in west of Ft worth. His dad gets a job as a pipeline consultant.
What is a pipeline consultant?
Course you can't blame a parent to want their kid to play for a winner where their going to get the exposure. But, it's still against the rules. Guess you could say it's only holding if you get caught! LOL

Many years ago I watched a TCU alumnus pay offensive lineman several hundreds a week at a job that paid normal workers half of that. Course TCU sucked back then so I didn't see where it was doing any good for the won loss record! LOL

Which move west of Ft. Worth?? There's like seven all to the same school...

LE Dad
08-31-2010, 05:35 PM
Which move west of Ft. Worth?? There's like seven all to the same school... lol!!

mwrams
08-31-2010, 05:40 PM
Hum...interesting. I have noticed that a lot of our kids have played together since they were 8 years old.
Then they get to High School and teams we have been playing since Jr High all of a sudden have kids on the Varsity we have never seen?

mwrams
08-31-2010, 05:43 PM
Of course the best way to handle these schools is to give it your all. Hit the weights, practice, practice, practice then beat them on the field.

Matthew328
08-31-2010, 05:49 PM
Whats even funnier is the kids all went to the same school from the same school

BullsFan
08-31-2010, 05:51 PM
Those who can... DO.

Teach

HEY now!!

mwrams
08-31-2010, 06:00 PM
Was not referring to Bridgeport...
A higher Classification.

Phantom Stang
08-31-2010, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by turbostud
So it looks like Trinity.

Link (http://www.hebisd.edu/news/article.asp?ArticleID=895&utm_source=%40hebisd&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=districtnews&utm_source=%40hebisd&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=districtnews)
That's revealing enough to deserve a copy & paste;)

Sports

8/31/2010

HEB ISD Officials Share Facts about WFAA Plans to Air Trinity Football Story

WFAA Channel 8 plans to air a story tonight that will claim that Trinity High School Trojan football coaches "acted inappropriately" during a summer "7 on 7" practice that occurred in Southlake.

WFAA first contacted HEB ISD in early August, claiming to have video that showed Trinity coaches "clearly violating UIL rules" during this summer practice. WFAA would not give details on what was in the video, but they wanted us to view the video and offer an on-camera interview with our reaction.

We immediately contacted the chair of the District 6-5A Executive Committee (DEC), the local governing body that deals with UIL rules enforcement. We explained that WFAA had a video they would not give details about, and we said that we wanted to make the DEC aware of the situation. The DEC chair said that WFAA should turn the video in to the DEC for an official investigation. We then contacted the state UIL athletic director and gave him the same information we gave the DEC chair. He also said that WFAA should turn the video in and allow the official investigative process to begin.

We then sent an email to WFAA with this information, and we copied the DEC chair and the state UIL athletic director. We said that we had alerted both the DEC and the UIL, and that we believed that if WFAA had concerns about whether our coaches were abiding by UIL rules, they should turn the video over and let an official investigation begin. Because we urged WFAA to turn the video over to the DEC, we stated that we would not view the video or comment on it. We concluded the email response with the following statement: "The Hurst-Euless-Bedford ISD sets expectations for UIL compliance with our coaches and staff. If the District Executive Committee finds that coaches or staff violated any UIL rules, we will implement any penalties assessed by the committee."

We received a reply from WFAA the next day, asking for an on-camera interview with Trinity Head Coach Stephen Lineweaver, to discuss the practice captured on the video. A short time later, we received another email from WFAA, asking that Coach Lineweaver reply by email to a set of questions about the summer practice that WFAA said they had on video.

Coach Lineweaver was not at the "7 on 7" event in question, nor would he be responsible for assessing any discipline, should members of his coaching staff have violated UIL rules, although coaches' presence at "7 on 7" events is not a UIL violation.

Again, because we knew that the video, questions about the video, or questions about the practice would all be part of a future investigation, we believed we needed to allow the opportunity for an official investigation to take place and not participate in a non-official media inquiry into the situation.

We issued a second email response to WFAA and copied the DEC chair and the UIL athletic director. We urged WFAA to let this matter go through the official process. In the email reply we stated:

"We have every intention of cooperating with the District Executive Committee and we will abide by whatever ruling they issue. They are our governing body."

Within two days, WFAA sent a reporter and photographer to a Trinity football practice. They arrived unannounced and without media clearance. Upon their arrival, Coach Lineweaver asked if they had permission to be there. The reporter admitted that he did not have permission. No media are allowed on campus, including on practice fields, without permission from the HEB ISD Communications Department. The reporter began asking questions about the summer practice, and Coach Lineweaver asked WFAA to leave until they had obtained permission from HEB ISD.

We have not heard back from WFAA since our last email to them. We have been told by our DEC chair that this story will air tonight. We felt it was imperative to share the facts with you, who have been such loyal supporters of extra-curricular programs and activities in HEB ISD.

We do not know exactly what will be in this WFAA story, nor do we know if there will be a DEC investigation. We want you to know that if we believe a UIL rule has been broken, we will handle that swiftly and effectively in accordance with UIL procedures.

HEB ISD and Trinity High School have a long heritage of producing winners on and off the field. We win on our own merits, with honor, integrity, and hard work. We know we will continue to be in the public eye after this story airs. We will make all decisions and take actions regarding this matter based on what is best for our students and staff. Thank you for your continued support.

mwrams
08-31-2010, 08:07 PM
Why is the media not allowed without a security clearance? What are you guys hiding? Its not like they are Al Queda

LE Dad
08-31-2010, 08:26 PM
Why is the media not allowed without a security clearance? What are you guys hiding? Its not like they are Al Queda Cameras and video equipment are not allowed at LE practices. I think that is fairly normal around the state.

Keith7
08-31-2010, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang
That's revealing enough to deserve a copy & paste;)

Sports

8/31/2010

HEB ISD Officials Share Facts about WFAA Plans to Air Trinity Football Story

WFAA Channel 8 plans to air a story tonight that will claim that Trinity High School Trojan football coaches "acted inappropriately" during a summer "7 on 7" practice that occurred in Southlake.

WFAA first contacted HEB ISD in early August, claiming to have video that showed Trinity coaches "clearly violating UIL rules" during this summer practice. WFAA would not give details on what was in the video, but they wanted us to view the video and offer an on-camera interview with our reaction.

We immediately contacted the chair of the District 6-5A Executive Committee (DEC), the local governing body that deals with UIL rules enforcement. We explained that WFAA had a video they would not give details about, and we said that we wanted to make the DEC aware of the situation. The DEC chair said that WFAA should turn the video in to the DEC for an official investigation. We then contacted the state UIL athletic director and gave him the same information we gave the DEC chair. He also said that WFAA should turn the video in and allow the official investigative process to begin.

We then sent an email to WFAA with this information, and we copied the DEC chair and the state UIL athletic director. We said that we had alerted both the DEC and the UIL, and that we believed that if WFAA had concerns about whether our coaches were abiding by UIL rules, they should turn the video over and let an official investigation begin. Because we urged WFAA to turn the video over to the DEC, we stated that we would not view the video or comment on it. We concluded the email response with the following statement: "The Hurst-Euless-Bedford ISD sets expectations for UIL compliance with our coaches and staff. If the District Executive Committee finds that coaches or staff violated any UIL rules, we will implement any penalties assessed by the committee."

We received a reply from WFAA the next day, asking for an on-camera interview with Trinity Head Coach Stephen Lineweaver, to discuss the practice captured on the video. A short time later, we received another email from WFAA, asking that Coach Lineweaver reply by email to a set of questions about the summer practice that WFAA said they had on video.

Coach Lineweaver was not at the "7 on 7" event in question, nor would he be responsible for assessing any discipline, should members of his coaching staff have violated UIL rules, although coaches' presence at "7 on 7" events is not a UIL violation.

Again, because we knew that the video, questions about the video, or questions about the practice would all be part of a future investigation, we believed we needed to allow the opportunity for an official investigation to take place and not participate in a non-official media inquiry into the situation.

We issued a second email response to WFAA and copied the DEC chair and the UIL athletic director. We urged WFAA to let this matter go through the official process. In the email reply we stated:

"We have every intention of cooperating with the District Executive Committee and we will abide by whatever ruling they issue. They are our governing body."

Within two days, WFAA sent a reporter and photographer to a Trinity football practice. They arrived unannounced and without media clearance. Upon their arrival, Coach Lineweaver asked if they had permission to be there. The reporter admitted that he did not have permission. No media are allowed on campus, including on practice fields, without permission from the HEB ISD Communications Department. The reporter began asking questions about the summer practice, and Coach Lineweaver asked WFAA to leave until they had obtained permission from HEB ISD.

We have not heard back from WFAA since our last email to them. We have been told by our DEC chair that this story will air tonight. We felt it was imperative to share the facts with you, who have been such loyal supporters of extra-curricular programs and activities in HEB ISD.

We do not know exactly what will be in this WFAA story, nor do we know if there will be a DEC investigation. We want you to know that if we believe a UIL rule has been broken, we will handle that swiftly and effectively in accordance with UIL procedures.

HEB ISD and Trinity High School have a long heritage of producing winners on and off the field. We win on our own merits, with honor, integrity, and hard work. We know we will continue to be in the public eye after this story airs. We will make all decisions and take actions regarding this matter based on what is best for our students and staff. Thank you for your continued support.

YA! Screw copyright laws!! Lets copy and paste everything!!

LH Panther Mom
08-31-2010, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
YA! Screw copyright laws!! Lets copy and paste everything!!
The school district has copyright laws? :eek:

Phantom Stang
08-31-2010, 08:35 PM
Why is the media not allowed without a security clearance? What are you guys hiding? Its not like they are Al Queda

High School Football is a class conducted on school property in which students receive grades, and the UIL sets time limits on practices.

So let me ask you this; wouldn't you have a problem with a news crew bursting through the front door of a school, and marching down the halls without getting permission at the office, to a math classroom to get an interview with the teacher while she's teaching her class? Would you accuse her of having something to hide if she told them to get lost?

LE Dad
08-31-2010, 08:36 PM
The school district has copyright laws? :eek: ROFL!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

BullsFan
08-31-2010, 08:37 PM
One reason you have to have permission to film on a campus is that it's illegal to air video of minors without parental consent.

I would also think you'd want to be very careful about who showed up with a camera to film at a football practice in particular. That might come back to haunt you during the season, when coaches are only supposed to have access to game film of other teams.

slpybear the bullfan
08-31-2010, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by BullsFan
One reason you have to have permission to film on a campus is that it's illegal to air video of minors without parental consent.

Bingo.

And btw, this story is sounding like another "crime of the century" that needs investigating!

:rolleyes:

orange machine
08-31-2010, 10:28 PM
I say big deal!

Matthew328
08-31-2010, 11:15 PM
That was a weak story

LE Dad
09-01-2010, 08:57 AM
That was a weak story Good, maybe the station will pull the plug on this guy. It is one thing to have hard evidence but to show that video and then twist it to serve your agenda.... weak is right.

Bruce
09-01-2010, 10:09 AM
If your wondering were all of this started from,it was a parent. The dad got pissed because his son was moved down, from a starter and was replaced. Just take it from there. Thanks !

NastySlot
09-01-2010, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Bruce
If your wondering were all of this started from,it was a parent. The dad got pissed because his son was moved down, from a starter and was replaced. Just take it from there. Thanks !

that ought get him moved back up...huh?

LE Dad
09-01-2010, 10:39 AM
that ought get him moved back up...huh? I don't know about up but if the other kids know who it is I bet he moves.:thinking:

OldNavy
09-01-2010, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Bruce

And the kids suffer from the actions of their parent.

DDBooger
09-01-2010, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by OldNavy
And the kids suffer from the actions of their parent. Helicopter parents. It's gotten so bad, I've had to tell my students that I cannot give them their grades by email because parents have used their kids emails to check in on them.

NastySlot
09-01-2010, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
Helicopter parents. It's gotten so bad, I've had to tell my students that I cannot give them their grades by email because parents have used their kids emails to check in on them.

email............our parents check on gradespeed.

DDBooger
09-01-2010, 12:59 PM
email............our parents check on gradespeed. I'm talking about college kids (adults) I can get in confidentiality trouble.

NastySlot
09-01-2010, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
I'm talking about college kids (adults) I can get in confidentiality trouble.

gotcha...........amazing some parents never cut the cord.

DDBooger
09-01-2010, 01:02 PM
gotcha...........amazing some parents never cut the cord. I've been called by them and in one case the parent showed up with the student. I was embarrassed, I could only imagine the student.

GreenMonster
09-02-2010, 03:08 AM
Well, the video is quite damning. The sounds of the SLC coaches obviously coaching the secondary at the "official" 7 on 7 game and just the video of the Trinity coaches on the field at SLC are violations of a rule that the UIL very clearly outlined at the end of last school year in an e-mail to all schools and all coaches. If the UIL does not drop the hammer on these guys (I know that they aren't the only ones doing it) then this will continue to be a problem. Like I stated above, the UIL made it very obvious what was and was not appropriate from coaches at 7 on 7 and any other summer league sport. These guys all knew the rules and still chose to violate the rules. A coach cannot even schedule a tournament on his own school grounds whether his team is participating or not. I also know that the 7 on 7 proponents (Matt328 etc) are in love with this touch/flag football crap and there is a fairly large following taking shape. What I foresee in the future is the UIL will treat it much like powerlifting and not sanction it, but will allow coaches to coach it and allow the leaders of 7 on 7 to form their own association to run it. I am obviously anti 7 on 7, I'm a more traditional blood and guts kind of guy that wants to see the safety lead with his helmet on a flanker hung out to dry over the middle by his QB. That violence and the pure physical nature of the game is what drew me in as a kid and why I still love the game today. 7 on 7 is much too finese for me, but even with my outlook I can still see the benefits that it provides. Offenses have become more and more finese over the years and kids have to learn how to read coverages and find soft spots in it as well as learn how to move without the ball. Timing is highly important in these offenses as well. Defensively everyone must run a 7 on 7 drill in order for the secondary to get reps and learn where the defense is weak and what needs to be done to recover when the offense finds the open receiver. Add in the fact that just like AAU basketball, 7 on 7 is not going to go away ($$ cha-ching $$), the UIL will have to make some kind of concessions for it because there is no way that the UIL can catch everyone that is cheating the system. Expect these guys to be hammered by the UIL and then expect sweeping changes on how UIL handles 7 on 7 in the future. Instead of this scandal being a nail in the coffin for 7 on 7 I expect it to be more of a stick of dynamite blowing the door wide open. Matt328 has a lot more knowledge of what the discussions between the 7 on 7 leadership and the UIL have been about over the past year or so. I'm sure he will be willing to give us some insight on those discussions as he has in the past, but I really believe UIL will give in and just go ahead and allow coaches the freedom to run their own summer 7 on 7 program sometime in the near future.

Matthew328
09-02-2010, 08:35 AM
Just one correction, according to the UIL memo a coach can not organize a 7 on 7 competition that his team is participating in. For example Arlington Bowie hosts a 3A-Under State Qualifier and their coaches can organize this tournament etc. What I see the 7 on 7 folks doing to be in compliance is have trusted third parties be the contacts for the tournaments or have more on college campuses and let a coach at the college be the guy in charge.

We are seeing this already, I ran two tournaments this year, Carl Padilla ran a couple and then you had a few on college campuses...even one at a pro facility...

You will also see different coaches run tournaments at different schools..for example the coach at Arlington Bowie may run a tournament at Southlake one weekend, the Southlake coach might run the Bowie tournament etc.

As for discussions w/the UIL and 7 on 7 I think the UIL wants to keep 7 on 7 from devolving into AAU basketball or select baseball...its been a real benefit to a lot of kids and programs and if the current form was changed I think it would be a total waste of time...half the benefit of 7 on 7 to me is the comradarie and team building that is obtained during the summer months.

I do agree with the powerlifing analogy...I think the UIL will eventually permit coaches to be involved but not sanction it...now my question is are schools allowed to use funds from the athletic budget to finance powerlifting?

Matthew328
09-02-2010, 08:55 AM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/highschools/topstories/stories/090210dnspowixon.26b960c.html

MN95
09-02-2010, 09:57 AM
gotcha...........amazing some parents never cut the cord.

Don't know about anyone else, but starting next year, if I am paying 20K a year for my kid to go to college, I'm going to want to see his grades to make sure the money is not being wasted.

Matthew328
09-02-2010, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by MN95
Don't know about anyone else, but starting next year, if I am paying 20K a year for my kid to go to college, I'm going to want to see his grades to make sure the money is not being wasted.

Dont blame you for wanting to see your kids grades, the professor just cant give them to you.

BEAST
09-02-2010, 10:05 AM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/highschools/topstories/stories/090210dnspowixon.26b960c.html

Thats a good article, and true. Ive heard dads say the very same thing those coaches said. What is the difference? Should Coach Shipley not be able to talk to his son? Its a fine line but in all honesty, I think if they let the DC and OC of each school be the coaches for 7 on 7, it would make it and real football that much better.

BEAST

NastySlot
09-02-2010, 10:40 AM

how about ask your child...........worked for me...when he told me he was study for an exam...i believed him....when he told me he did well on a exam or not so good I believed him......when he call to say he needed money for a tutor I sent it......when he was working too much I told him to remember to keep his grades up...............guess it work graduated got a good job and i don't know if he made a's b's or f's.................I understand watching your investment...........but what are you going to do if your child's failing a class or struggling going to call the dean of their college and the prof and want a conference with them......... it's college- conference with your child........if it is needed...most of the time if you leave them a lone they are going to make you proud.............and if they fail they learn from it.

LE Dad
09-02-2010, 11:06 AM
Don't know about anyone else, but starting next year, if I am paying 20K a year for my kid to go to college, I'm going to want to see his grades to make sure the money is not being wasted. The only way you should send your young ADULT off to school is if he/she is mature enough to handle it. If they are handling their school and outside life well in HS they will be fine away and your 20K will be well spent, but if you are required to stay on them for missing curfew, slacking grades, or just for being lazy... you might want to look at a JC until they mature more.

Now on the flip side if you just feel it necessary to know your childs every move it is time you realize that they are an ADULT, and time to let them know that they are an adult. My nephew blew his scholarship and expected mom and dad to pay for his education and they did 50/50 with him until he graduated and then they reimbursed him the money he had paid.

No one wants to throw away money on anything,but if your kid is an adult you won't be wasting your money.:thinking:

MN95
09-02-2010, 05:32 PM
Gee, thanks for all of the unsolicited parenting advice. Not sure how I managed to make it this far just bumbling along on my own.

Generally, I was just commenting on the idea of a parent wanting to see their kids college grades "not being able to cut the cord". No, I would not call his professor, and yes, it would cross my mind to simply "ask" him to show me.

BleedOrange
09-02-2010, 09:50 PM
Gee, thanks for all of the unsolicited parenting advice. Not sure how I managed to make it this far just bumbling along on my own.

Generally, I was just commenting on the idea of a parent wanting to see their kids college grades "not being able to cut the cord". No, I would not call his professor, and yes, it would cross my mind to simply "ask" him to show me.

I was thinking the same thing about the advice. I am also with you on the grades. If I am paying I am going to see them period end of story. If they elect to not show them then I know they have truly achieved financial independence and my vacation locales just got much better.

BullsFan
09-03-2010, 12:13 AM
[Back when I was in college, my grades were mailed directly to my parents at the end of each semester. It was a measure of accountability. I'm glad you all are sending ADULTS to school, but I was far from a fully mature adult when I started college, and there were times I needed a good kick in the butt. My parents were happy to provide. ;)

NastySlot
09-03-2010, 07:59 AM

Whoa didn't mean to call your parental skills into question...not what was intended......you stated you didn't know about the rest of us......what works for me might not work for others Idk.

if I offended....not what was intended.....and Im sure you haven't bumbled too much at all.

NastySlot
09-03-2010, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by BleedOrange
I was thinking the same thing about the advice. I am also with you on the grades. If I am paying I am going to see them period end of story. If they elect to not show them then I know they have truly achieved financial independence and my vacation locales just got much better.

yeah....so your asking your child....that's not calling or emailing a dean of your child college or his prof. Idk...maybe I misread the other guys post.....I would ask my son how he was doing every time we talked and next year I'll do the same for my daughter.

Now again if my son told me he was doing good or bad I told him to work hard and remember why he was there it worked I guess.

some where along the line I guess I just let my kids figure it out for themselves and be adults..........maybe I just did it earlier than some folks.