PDA

View Full Version : RIP Josh Farris

trojandad
08-30-2010, 06:17 PM
A lot of you that know of me know I disappear from here during off football season, so I have a piece of business I need to catch upon as the season starts.

I first met Josh Farris when his little league team played my son's team. His father Jim was, and is, one of those baseball coaches that could beat you with his team, then take your team and beat you with your own team. He did it the right way, not only no profanity, but giving his players goofy words to say instead of profane, making the act of swearing a joke to young boys and girls of an impressionable age. Josh took his father's example and ran with it.

He quarterbacked two undefeated teams in junior high, then concentrated on his baseball speciality in high school. When a coaching change happened his senior year and the QB spot was lacking on varsity, he played only when asked by his classmates.

My son would invite guys over to eat bbq on Thursdays before varsity games. Many kids would come, but on the Friday morning after I would always find a thank you card from one person, always including a poem or verse that was deep beyond a high schoolers years. That card would always be from Josh. I have them all and wouldn't take anything for them.

My oldest son and Josh graduated together, with Josh finishing as valedictorian. As he gave his speech, instead of focusing on his accomplishments, he asked his grandmother to stand, who not so coincidentally had graduated valedictorian some 50 years before from the same Coldspring high school. He spent the better part of his time recognizing her as well as sharing moments spent with her that motivated him to achieve that awatd, just so he could recognize her one more night for HER accomplishments so long ago.

Josh went to Sam Houston State and received his BA in management. His athletic endeavors were put toward rodeo during college. The guy was tough as nails, winning Region IX in calf roping in 2004. Watching him ride was to watch someone being right where he wanted to be.

Josh loved his church. My son would attend Family Faith in Huntsville, I'd visit with him and we'd see Josh, blonde hair and blue eyes shining, working as usher or assisting with the television program.

I'd be at a playoff game, following other teams besides Coldspring during our dry years, and be surprised by someone sneaking up behind me, wrapping their arms around me and picking me up. I'd hear "I'm SO glad to see you". Of course, it'd be Josh.

Josh was killed when a car struck his on May 30 of this year.

We all pray our kids will grow up incredibly, realizing all their potential. Then we realize, in the end, we just want them safe. Josh filled both. You couldn't know Josh without knowing where he's spending eternity.

I pray for his family and especially (being a dad myself) for his dad. I wasn't his dad and I feel such a loss all these months later. I can't imagine his family's loss, strong as they are.

Thanks for letting me recite about Josh's life. I'm sure each of you know a similar story, and they all deserve to be remembered by us all. The world is definitely a poorer place since May 30. God bless us all.

hollywood
08-30-2010, 06:21 PM
Touching story. My prayers are with you and his family.

bigwood33
08-30-2010, 07:10 PM
Thank you for sharing. I can only imagine the pain that Josh's family has experienced. May God bless them in these their hours of need.

1st and goal
08-30-2010, 08:02 PM
thanks for sharing. My condolences go out to all whom he touched their lives. I'm also sure that heaven is a fair bit shinier now.

LH Panther Mom
08-30-2010, 08:04 PM
What a wonderful tribute to what sounds like a fine young man.

Looking4number8
08-30-2010, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom

Well put. God Bless Josh and his family and friends!

LE Dad
08-30-2010, 08:49 PM
:(

Ranger Mom
08-30-2010, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom

You took the words right out of my mouth!!

That was very touching to read!!

RIP Josh!!

Texas State
08-30-2010, 11:06 PM
Awesome Tribute story!

trojandad
09-14-2010, 11:05 PM
if you would, please whisper a prayer for josh's father, jim....

jim owned one of the largest businesses of its type in texas and had for many years, but after reaching him there just a short couple of months ago after josh's death, i tried earlier this week only to find they had closed their doors and ceased operations after decades of business....

this is very unlike jim, and i have not been able to reach him or his family by phone....if i haven't heard from him soon i'm going to make a trip over to his home to check on him and his....

i'm sure theres a 90% chance all is well and he's just taking care of himself after such a hit to his heart, i just have to admit concern until i hear it from his lips.....i know we aren't burdened with more than what we can bear, and jim farris is one of the strong ones, without a doubt, i just hope the best for my friend.....thanks to you all......

'Necks 2013-14
09-15-2010, 09:03 AM
Prayers from Columbia-Brazoria. Hope all is well. I cannot begin to imagine losing any of my three boys.