PDA

View Full Version : What are "Prep" schools?

Old Tiger
08-30-2010, 04:13 PM
Always wondered and going through the helmet database I saw them and thought even more upon the subject

BullsFan
08-30-2010, 04:31 PM
They're private high schools intended to prepare kids for college. They're supposed to be more academically rigorous than public high school. And I'm not saying that they aren't, but I have no personal knowledge about them. I know that in the northeast it can be more difficult to get into a good prep school than it is to get into a college, and there's a good deal of networking and palm-greasing that takes place.

Txbroadcaster
08-30-2010, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by BullsFan
They're private high schools intended to prepare kids for college. They're supposed to be more academically rigorous than public high school. And I'm not saying that they aren't, but I have no personal knowledge about them. I know that in the northeast it can be more difficult to get into a good prep school than it is to get into a college, and there's a good deal of networking and palm-greasing that takes place.

some prep schools even offer a year between HS and College so someone can get their grades up to get into a better college. Basically like a Junior College

Old Tiger
08-30-2010, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
some prep schools even offer a year between HS and College so someone can get their grades up to get into a better college. Basically like a Junior College I saw where Eddie George had to do that before he went to Ohio State.

BreckTxLonghorn
08-30-2010, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
I saw where Eddie George had to do that before he went to Ohio State.

Larry Fitzgerald did it too, though I think he went to a military prep.

NastySlot
08-30-2010, 07:10 PM
I know the Jesuit schools are college preps......and that the service academies have prep schools..........Marine Military in Harlingen has fifth year students. I thought I saw in one of the preseason football magazines a new one just opened in Houston that will give football players a year to boast their academics.