PDA

View Full Version : 4A Willis Wildkats @ Navasota

HEMOTOXIC
08-30-2010, 03:44 PM
This week the Rattlers matchup against an old district rival in the Willis Wildkats.

The Wildkats are coming of a 50-0 win against a not so good Houston Davis team.

The Rattlers are coming off a 35-14 victory againt rival Madisonville Mustangs. The Rattlers lead 35-0 going into the half. In the second half, many of the starters were pulled as second and third stream players got some action.

Who wins this matchup?

UPanIN
08-30-2010, 04:49 PM
Navasota will have their hands full.

Willis by 14

HEMOTOXIC
08-30-2010, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by UPanIN
Navasota will have their hands full.

Willis by 14

Its hard to say what Willis brings into this game. They dominated Davis, but, so has Navasota in the past. Give me the first half performance of the Madisonville game and I think the Rattlers can pick up the W.

OldBison75
08-30-2010, 05:20 PM
On the defensive side of the ball the Rattler's are ready. They are playing fast and swarming to the ball. This is the best tackling group I have seen at a Rattler first game in several years.

On offense, the Rattlers wer hard to judge last week. I saw flashes of brilliance followed by lulls. I will say that the mix of players on the field at any given time may have contributed to some of the lulls. They have top notch receivers and QB Day looked like he can make things happen. The only real complaint I have is the fumbles by Burrell. He has to be a leader and hold onto the ball.

As for Willis, they will be quick, and athletic. I think that the Rattlers can match them in speed. The question is if the offense can be consistent and not make turnovers.

I pick the Rattlers at home by a touchdown in a low scoring game, Maybe like 21-14.

HEMOTOXIC
08-30-2010, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by OldBison75
I pick the Rattlers at home by a touchdown in a low scoring game, Maybe like 21-14.

I agree. The defense has played well against Sealy, Montgomery, and Madisonville.

Navasota 28-21

Keith7
08-30-2010, 07:46 PM
Willis might be the most athletic team Navasota sees all season. They returned their entire offense this year and seven players on defense.. Don't let last season's record fool you, they are dang good...

Watch for QB Fred Nixon.. He is a junior and has played varsity since halfway through his freshman season. He's got a D1 arm and plenty of weapons..

Their defense is kind of suspect but did a great job against Davis last week (who wouldn't?).. This game could end up being a shootout.

HEMOTOXIC
08-30-2010, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
Willis might be the most athletic team Navasota sees all season. They returned their entire offense this year and seven players on defense.. Don't let last season's record fool you, they are dang good...

Watch for QB Fred Nixon.. He is a junior and has played varsity since halfway through his freshman season. He's got a D1 arm and plenty of weapons..

Their defense is kind of suspect but did a great job against Davis last week (who wouldn't?).. This game could end up being a shootout.

I am really looking foward to this game. Either way, both teams should get a good game out of the deal.

Yoe_09
08-30-2010, 10:26 PM
Navasota by 10.

BoneyFinger
08-31-2010, 09:21 AM
I was born and raised in Bridge City and played for the Cardinals in 1966 - 68. I now live in Willis and have followed the Wildkats for the last twelve years. This year's team appears to be possibly the best I have seen from a Willis team. They have many good size players and the speed impressed me in the first game. The OB is darn good. They have plenty of quality players on the sideline, so rotating players in and out should not be a problem and they should not have a bunch of tired players on the field in the forth quarter. I'm not saying that a good Navasota team can't beat them, but I might suggest they bring a sack lunch with them, because it will not be a picnic. This should be a great game between two good teams.

HEMOTOXIC
08-31-2010, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by BoneyFinger
I was born and raised in Bridge City and played for the Cardinals in 1966 - 68. I now live in Willis and have followed the Wildkats for the last twelve years. This year's team appears to be possibly the best I have seen from a Willis team. They have many good size players and the speed impressed me in the first game. The OB is darn good. They have plenty of quality players on the sideline, so rotating players in and out should not be a problem and they should not have a bunch of tired players on the field in the forth quarter. I'm not saying that a good Navasota team can't beat them, but I might suggest they bring a sack lunch with them, because it will not be a picnic. This should be a great game between two good teams.

Speaking of good Wills teams, I ran into Derek Lagway a few days ago. For those who dont remember Lagway, he was a great quarter back from Willis in the mid 90s. Navasota and Willis had some good district games going back then. Anyhow, this will be a great test for the Rattlers leading up to a tough district race.

Go Snakes!

martwayne
08-31-2010, 04:40 PM
navasota wins big again,28-7

Keith7
08-31-2010, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by martwayne

I know not all Navasota fans are as optimistic as you. But if you really thing the Rattlers are going to go into Friday's game and dominate the Wildkats, you're in for for a rude awakening..

HEMOTOXIC
08-31-2010, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by martwayne

Keith7 is right. No way will this game be a cake walk. I have confidence in the Rattlers, but, I would not be a bit surprised if the Wildkats got the victory.

navscanmaster
08-31-2010, 10:42 PM
With the Rattlers all the way. I see this game progressing like Silsbee did last year in round two. Will the Rattlers be the 35 or the 34? We will see.

HEMOTOXIC
09-03-2010, 07:18 AM
Game day! It's early, but there is alot of rain in the Houston area. Hopefully the game will be dry tonight...

Go Snakes!

HEMOTOXIC
09-03-2010, 07:35 AM
http://www.hcnonline.com/articles/2010/09/03/conroe_courier/sports/willis_box_0903_left_3.txt

Friday, 7:30 p.m., Rattler Stadium

Willis (1-0): The Wildkats are coming off a 50-0 win over Houston Davis. … The shutout was the first for the team since 2003, when Willis blanked Cleveland 40-0. … QB Fred Nixon is expected to make more of an impact this week after playing sparingly in last week’s blowout. … Nixon finished 4 of 5 passing for 108 yards, including first-quarter TD tosses of 34 yards to Quan West and 54 yards to Robert Johnson.

Navasota (1-0): The Rattlers are fresh off a 35-14 victory over Madisonville in their season opener. … Last season, Navasota advanced to the area round of the Region III-3A playoffs before falling to Gilmer.

Quick kick: Willis and Navasota played together in District 18-4A from 1994-99. Tonight will be their first meeting since those days. In 1999, Willis topped Navasota 14-13.