PDA

View Full Version : Should the Cowboys Play Starters Thurs?

Txbroadcaster
08-30-2010, 09:18 AM
Big topic on Dallas radio..with all the struggles the team has had in pre season, should the starters play alot in the final pre season game on Thursday?

jason
08-30-2010, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Big topic on Dallas radio..with all the struggles the team has had in pre season, should the starters play alot in the final pre season game on Thursday? they should play until they score a touchdown...

Ex-Tiger2005
08-30-2010, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by jason
they should play until they score a touchdown...

Amen! :clap:

Txbroadcaster
08-30-2010, 09:27 AM
The offense is getting all the attention for struggling, but the defense has not been real good either.

DDBooger
08-30-2010, 09:38 AM
The offense is getting all the attention for struggling, but the defense has not been real good either. They've been getting ran on with relative ease.

Trashman
08-30-2010, 09:44 AM
I don't think there is anything to worry about. They are not going to put forth much effort in these stupid preseason games. To do so and reveal your plays and schemes to your opponents would be idiotic at best. :rolleyes:

Macarthur
08-30-2010, 09:59 AM
I think they should so that hopefully they can get some rhythm.

I also think there's too much being made of their struggles. This is a tired team that just wanted to get home and sleep in their own beds.

buff4ever
08-30-2010, 10:01 AM
I say they play a quarter and it is what it is. We won't know how they are until game 1 anyway.

BILLYFRED0000
08-30-2010, 10:01 AM
are you referring to the current starters or the injured starters. for me it is a non sequitor. Just play what ya got and get people healthy. Forget the whiners till the games start to mean something.

pirate4state
08-30-2010, 10:03 AM
hahaha just by the title I thought it was cause they were playing as bad as some freshman/jv teams bahahahah :mad: :mad:

slpybear the bullfan
08-30-2010, 10:03 AM
Didn't look like their starters played on Saturday.

UGGGGGGLY.

The Ravens
08-30-2010, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Trashman
I don't think there is anything to worry about. They are not going to put forth much effort in these stupid preseason games. To do so and reveal your plays and schemes to your opponents would be idiotic at best. :rolleyes:

I agree. It was a great win for the Texans and the Cowboys have some things they need to address before their first regular season game, but it was obvious they didn't put 100% effort into this game. It is only pre-season, although Wade wanted his players to finally come together as a team in what he called an important game. They will get it together. They will be fine. :)

Farmersfan
08-30-2010, 10:39 AM
What a ridiculous display of football! Make excuses all you want but there is certainly something missing in the makeup of this team! Hopefully they can overcome it but once again I think it will come back to kill them in a tough game in the playoffs!

Bullaholic
08-30-2010, 10:45 AM
I think the Cowboys have been overly cautious in pre-season due to the injuries, using but about 50% of the playbook, and all reports say they have looked great in practice. I think the Cowboys will be fine at the start of the season----maybe a little slow starting, but I think they will come around just fine. Several keys players will be back, and Garrett will open up the play calling.

If I'm wrong about all of the above---you can call me "Cowboy Rocket"----no.... nevermind---that's would be too severe....:D

Bull's-eye
08-30-2010, 01:24 PM
I'm more worried about the offense, especially the running game. They can say all they want about not having a game plan for these pre-season games, but you still should be able to run the ball. The O-line was missing 2 starters, but this reminds me of their playoff struggles against the Vikings. The defense played very vanilla against the Texans, no blitzing and just a basic coverage. They did struggle to stop the run and that should be a concern, not having Marcus Spears might have something to do with that.

If Miami plays their defensive starters, you might want to see if the #1 offense could have some success running the ball. I don't think they should play them more than a quarter.

jambo67
08-30-2010, 01:33 PM
No! Cowboys training camp has been a circus. They not only will have 5 preseason games before the regular season even starts(the most in the NFL with the exception of the Bengals) they have had to travel to 3 different training camps, San Antonio, Oxnard and Valley Ranch. They look like a blooper reel because they have been traveling like Rock Stars instead of preparing for ball. Jerry made lots of money at the expense of team continuity. If I were the real Wade I'd rest everybody all week and do what the fake Wade would do.......a lot of catfishing at Mark Holz lake then stink up some grease with a mess of biscuits.

Macarthur
08-30-2010, 01:57 PM
I do agree that camp has been too long, but I would not classify it a circus. By everything I've read, they've kept their head down and worked hard. In fact, I read that Wade did not schedule a singe off day during the entire camp. If anything, I think this team is just tired. I think a week at home, sleeping in their own bed will do a world of good for them.

Farmersfan
08-30-2010, 03:15 PM
We certainly get a wide array of excuses on here! I think it is safe to say the Cowboys so far this preseason have been completely un-inspired! Hopefully that will change.

Txbroadcaster
08-30-2010, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
We certainly get a wide array of excuses on here! I think it is safe to say the Cowboys so far this preseason have been completely un-inspired! Hopefully that will change.

I think that is the question of the day..is it just a preseason thing

Pawdaddy
08-30-2010, 11:30 PM
Yes, and then make them run 40 yards wind sprints after the game in front of the remaining crowd if they win by less than 40!

piratebg
08-31-2010, 12:03 AM
Play them 1 quarter at least.

wimbo_pro
08-31-2010, 08:54 AM
The question is the same as:

You're tuning up your car..it hasnt run worth a CRAP since you did all your adjustments. You have a cross country trip to take next week. Should you take your car out and give it a whirl before going?

Farmersfan
08-31-2010, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro
The question is the same as:

You're tuning up your car..it hasnt run worth a CRAP since you did all your adjustments. You have a cross country trip to take next week. Should you take your car out and give it a whirl before going?

Great analogy wimbo_pro! Except in this case they DIDN"T make a lot of adjustments. I'm pretty sure they had 1 (ONE) new player on the offense in this scrimmage. I believe the O-line had a new guy playing that they picked up from Denver. (Holland?). If I remember incorrectly I'm sure someone will correct me! But all the other 10 starters on offense should have hit the field exactly where they were at the end of last season!!!!
WAIT!!! They did! I seem to remember a very similar performance out of this team against the Vikings in that playoff game.......... Anyone worried a little bit more now? :eek:

Txbroadcaster
08-31-2010, 03:46 PM
Great analogy wimbo_pro! Except in this case they DIDN"T make a lot of adjustments. I'm pretty sure they had 1 (ONE) new player on the offense in this scrimmage. I believe the O-line had a new guy playing that they picked up from Denver. (Holland?). If I remember incorrectly I'm sure someone will correct me! But all the other 10 starters on offense should have hit the field exactly where they were at the end of last season!!!!
WAIT!!! They did! I seem to remember a very similar performance out of this team against the Vikings in that playoff game.......... Anyone worried a little bit more now? :eek:

both Columbo and Kosier were out and have been out

Pick6
08-31-2010, 03:59 PM
both Columbo and Kosier were out and have been out

The know it all was wrong again...it's great isn't it.

side note to FF, Holland has been with the Cowboys since 2008 :rolleyes:

TheDOCTORdre
08-31-2010, 05:13 PM
will someone just tell me when the Sunday night opening season game against the redskins start...until then I could care less

STANG RED
08-31-2010, 07:40 PM
If they are still playing like crap by wk 4 of the regular season, it's time to get worried. 11 or 12 wins, and finishing strong is whats most important.
I havent even watched a single pre season game, because the ourcome is so meaningless. The players know it, the coaches know it, and so should any football fan. Pre season games are just organized scrimmages, disguised as a real football game, IMO. Nothing to get our panties all in a wad over for sure.

LH Panther Mom
08-31-2010, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by jason
they should play until they score a touchdown...
Wonder how long that will take? :thinking:

piratebg
09-01-2010, 12:06 AM
Looks like the starters are gonna rest. Stephen McGee gets the start on Thursday vs the Dolphins.

SintonFan
09-01-2010, 12:44 AM
Big topic on Dallas radio..with all the struggles the team has had in pre season, should the starters play alot in the final pre season game on Thursday?

It would be good to finally see them with that newfangled receiver playing.
I don't care, really. They'll be fine come that first game. Bunch of worriers here...:doh:

ivchris
09-01-2010, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan
It would be good to finally see them with that newfangled receiver playing.
I don't care, really. They'll be fine come that first game. Bunch of worriers here...:doh:

That wasted pic receiver? They should've gotten some linemen. They have receivers.

Txbroadcaster
09-01-2010, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by ivchris
That wasted pic receiver? They should've gotten some linemen. They have receivers.

There was no OL worth the pick..you cant just draft one cause u need it unless the team deems that player worthy of the pick

Farmersfan
09-01-2010, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
If they are still playing like crap by wk 4 of the regular season, it's time to get worried. 11 or 12 wins, and finishing strong is whats most important.
I havent even watched a single pre season game, because the ourcome is so meaningless. The players know it, the coaches know it, and so should any football fan. Pre season games are just organized scrimmages, disguised as a real football game, IMO. Nothing to get our panties all in a wad over for sure.

In the NFL a team cannot GIVE AWAY the first 3 or 4 games of the season because they can't "GET IT TOGETHER"! That is why it is so concerning for them to be so lame in the preseason. Giving away even 1 game due to being "Out of Sync" is unacceptable at this level and should cost some coaches their jobs! And I normally would also say it's only preseason and means nothing but when taken with the knowledge of how this team finished the season last year it becomes a huge concern! Could mean nothing at all! But it also could be a indication of bigger problems that will rear it's ugly head later on! The problem with NOT worrying about it now is that "later on" could be too late!!!!!

ivchris
09-01-2010, 11:49 AM
There was no OL worth the pick..you cant just draft one cause u need it unless the team deems that player worthy of the pick

they could've dealt the pick for a better lineman. Classic Jerry Jones move to bring in a trouble maker over getting some help for the team. Does T.O. ring a bell? Pacman Jones?

Txbroadcaster
09-01-2010, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by ivchris
they could've dealt the pick for a better lineman. Classic Jerry Jones move to bring in a trouble maker over getting some help for the team. Does T.O. ring a bell? Pacman Jones?

Really? a trouble maker? Come on now...and dealt for what pick..which OL late in the 1st round would be able to step in and start?

waterboy
09-01-2010, 12:14 PM
Good grief. You have to pick the best player available in the draft when it's your turn. I would've loved to see some O-linemen picked, but to tell the truth, not many O-linemen picked in the first round ever pan out. It seems linemen are always some of the last ones picked for that very reason. The Cowboys definitely need help in that area, though, most of it due to injuries and a lack of depth.

I am glad that cooler heads prevailed, and most of the starters are not playing. I think the rest can't hurt. They just need to relax and get back to what it was that got them where they were last year, one of the best offenses in the league. The worrisome part for me is on the defensive side of the ball anyway. They definitely need to pull together and play like they're capable.

bigwood33
09-01-2010, 12:50 PM
No, it is preseason for goodness sakes. It means nothing! The extended preseason and camp for the Cowboys could be the culprit. I am sure that many of the veteran players have been mailing it in just waiting for the games to start meaning something. Am I the only one who remembers 1989? Undefeated and looking good the Cowboys swept through the preseason only to lose the next 15 games before shocking everyone and winning the last game against a pretty good Washington team at their place.
BTW, the Colts are 4-20 in their last 24 and they routinely look bad doing it.

Txbroadcaster
09-01-2010, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by bigwood33
No, it is preseason for goodness sakes. It means nothing! The extended preseason and camp for the Cowboys could be the culprit. I am sure that many of the veteran players have been mailing it in just waiting for the games to start meaning something. Am I the only one who remembers 1989? Undefeated and looking good the Cowboys swept through the preseason only to lose the next 15 games before shocking everyone and winning the last game against a pretty good Washington team at their place.

it is not about them winning or losing in preseason..it is how the starters play..and they have not played well..on either side of the ball..now does that matteR? No clue..I think injuries have hurt of course but we will see opening night how they play

Pick6
09-01-2010, 12:59 PM

I remember, that's why there's no reason to be worried right now.

BTW, the Washington win was somewhere around week 10-12.

bigwood33
09-01-2010, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Pick6
I remember, that's why there's no reason to be worried right now.

BTW, the Washington win was somewhere around week 10-12.
You're right, it was week 9. Getting old sucks, I can't remember anything!

Bullaholic
09-01-2010, 01:25 PM
Rest the starters. It is just not worth the chance of getting a starter hurt 1 week before the opener. If the problems exist to the extent that some of you think, it is not likely they will be magically corrected by playing the starters 1 quarter, or an entire half, for that matter.
Let us judge after the Washington game.

ivchris
09-01-2010, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
Good grief. You have to pick the best player available in the draft when it's your turn. I would've loved to see some O-linemen picked, but to tell the truth, not many O-linemen picked in the first round ever pan out. It seems linemen are always some of the last ones picked for that very reason. The Cowboys definitely need help in that area, though, most of it due to injuries and a lack of depth.

I am glad that cooler heads prevailed, and most of the starters are not playing. I think the rest can't hurt. They just need to relax and get back to what it was that got them where they were last year, one of the best offenses in the league. The worrisome part for me is on the defensive side of the ball anyway. They definitely need to pull together and play like they're capable.

Trade the pick for a veteran....possibley a player plus a later pick in the draft. I don't mean just trade him for another draft pick.
Free agents, trade between teams, whatever.

STANG RED
09-01-2010, 01:35 PM
In the NFL a team cannot GIVE AWAY the first 3 or 4 games of the season because they can't "GET IT TOGETHER"! That is why it is so concerning for them to be so lame in the preseason. Giving away even 1 game due to being "Out of Sync" is unacceptable at this level and should cost some coaches their jobs! And I normally would also say it's only preseason and means nothing but when taken with the knowledge of how this team finished the season last year it becomes a huge concern! Could mean nothing at all! But it also could be a indication of bigger problems that will rear it's ugly head later on! The problem with NOT worrying about it now is that "later on" could be too late!!!!!

Where did I ever say they could GIVE AWAY the first 3 or 4 games??? I was just trying to imply 12-4 or 11-5 + finishing strong, is much more important than the first few games. And it's certainly way more important than the outcome of these meaningless preseason games.
And I'M not going to worry either now or later, no matter how they are playing. It doesnt effect my pocket book or lifestyle one way or the other. To be honest, none of this even shows up on the first few pages of my priorities list. Now if I were JJ, I would probably very concerned.

Farmersfan
09-02-2010, 09:26 AM
it is not about them winning or losing in preseason..it is how the starters play..and they have not played well..on either side of the ball..now does that matteR? No clue..I think injuries have hurt of course but we will see opening night how they play

I agree! The lack of execution is what worries me. Even at this level it is very hard to simply "Turn it On" when the regular season gets here. The preseason is suppose to be for getting your team ready for the regular season. It has become plain that this team currently isn't ready! Hopefully that will change!

Farmersfan
09-02-2010, 09:39 AM

Win/Loss means nothing! Preparing your starters for the regular season means everything.