PDA

View Full Version : Houston ISD Paying Kids

SWMustang
08-29-2010, 08:26 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/facebook/7172654.html

Fifth-graders at select Houston ISD schools will get richer for passing math tests — and their parents will get paid, too — under a rare experiment to try to boost student performance with cash incentives totaling as much as $1,020 per family.

The Houston school board signed off Thursday on the $1.5 million program, which is funded by the Dallas-based Liemandt Foundation. The incentives will go to students and parents at 25 elementary schools that rank among the lowest in math achievement.

The pilot program — thought to be the first that offers joint incentives for parents and students — will allow fifth-graders to earn up to $440 for passing short math tests that show they have mastered key concepts, according to the draft proposal. Parents will get slightly less money for their children doing the work, and they can earn an extra $180 for attending nine conferences with teachers to review the youngsters' progress.

Combined, the students and their parents can pocket $1,020.

"This is trying to say (to parents), 'We want you to be involved with this math process,'" said Chuck Morris, HISD's chief academic officer. "And it is an incentive for them to take that time to go to the school.

"In many cases, where we have parents who are working hard and are barely making ends meet - 80 percent of our kids are on free- and reduced-lunch - why shouldn't we help them in order to be more involved?"

Parents can opt out of the pay program, which also is expected to include money for teachers - up to $40 per student - for holding the parent conferences. The Houston Independent School District already has the nation's largest program that rewards teachers and school staff for boosting students' scores on standardized tests.

Public support is low
HISD has identified 70 elementary schools that could be eligible for the incentive experiment based on their low percentages of students scoring at the "commended," or advanced, level in math on the Texas Assessment of Knowledge and Skills. Principals and teachers will have to commit to the project for their campuses to be among the 25 chosen.

Nationwide, public support is low for school districts paying students for specific behaviors, such as reading books, attending class or getting good grades, according to the 2010 Phi Delta Kappa/Gallup Poll. About one in four Americans favor the idea. A similar number said they had paid their own children for academic accomplishments.

Houston mom Adela Ruiz, who has a son at one of the eligible schools, Frost Elementary, had a mixed reaction to the incentive plan.

"Maybe it will encourage the kids to do better - to work a little harder - and get the parents more involved in their child's education," she said, smiling when told the payout could top $1,000.

Then, she added, "Parents really shouldn't have to get paid to get involved in their children's education. It's their responsibility."

Dovion McCardle, a fourth-grader at Frost, giggled upon learning about the cash and then answered practically about what she would do with it.

"It's going to be good because you get to collect money for college," she said.

The Education Innovation Laboratory at Harvard University is partnering with HISD to study the pay program. The lab, led by Roland Fryer, an economics professor, has done other studies on student incentives in Chicago, Dallas, New York City and Washington, D.C.

The other programs yielded mixed results, with improved student performance in Dallas and Washington.

The Houston program appears to be based on the Dallas work. Second-graders in Dallas were paid $2 for each book they read once they passed a simple quiz to confirm they had done the reading. Fryer's study found that the students who were promised money improved in reading comprehension and language more than those who weren't offered the reward.

Comes on a card
In HISD, the students and their parents will get $2 for each math objective the child masters. Students will get practice math assignments on a total of 200 concepts and then will take a five-question test. They will get the money for correctly answering at least four questions on each, according to the draft proposal.

Parents will get their money in the form of debit-like cards. The district plans to encourage the students to get their money directly deposited into a savings account that HISD will help set up. Workshops on savings and financial management are included in the project.

HISD Trustee Paula Harris said she wanted to make sure the district set goals for what results it expects from the incentive program.

"That being said, I think it is a wonderful research project," she added.

The Harvard researchers will compare the results of students at the schools paying students with those at similar HISD campuses that are not participating. The analysis will include scores on standardized tests, student behavior, attendance and teacher outcomes such as retention and migration, according to the draft proposal.

Professor is skeptical
The idea of paying parents intrigues Dan Ariely, a Duke University professor who studies human behavior, but he said he expects little long-term benefit from the cash rewards for students.

"The parents actually have some control over the kids," he said. "They can tell the kids to study."

For the students, he said, the monetary incentive will do nothing to instill in them a love of learning. "What is questionable is whether you could create short-term learning or not," he added.

HISD has put another pay experiment on hold. That plan, which had been slated to start this year at the nine campuses in Superintendent Terry Grier's Apollo 20 reform program, would have paid students for attending Saturday tutorials. Morris said Thursday that the district is halting that plan for now because the schools already have a longer day and year, so the weekend tutoring might not be worth the expense.

ericka.mellon@chron.com

BaseballUmp
08-30-2010, 04:46 PM
I'm sorry, but to me this is ridiculous...
Pay them now, then what happens when they get to later grades...are sophomores and juniors gonna get paid for passing the TAKS tests too? This is just dumb. And while there are some qualifications to get the money, its just another way to make a quick buck for some of these families and I could see some parents taking advantage of this.

Look if you are in school, then you are expected to learn. Parents should push their kids to do well and if they don't then they are doing a disservice to them. This is kind of like paying kids when they make A's or B's. I never got that, but I always had great grades. Then you have kids that do it just for the money. I guess some people just have their motives and I have my own.

To each his/her own I guess, but I don't like this move

SWMustang
08-30-2010, 10:05 PM
yea - I understand it motivating kids, but motivating parents? You're telling me that parents didn't feel like going to the parent/teacher conferences to discuss their failing kids, but if a 100 bucks is riding on it you can find the time?

LH Panther Mom
08-31-2010, 05:31 AM
I wonder if this, in any way, violates the "amateur" rule for UIL extracurricular participants. :thinking: :nerd:

ronwx5x
08-31-2010, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp

Look if you are in school, then you are expected to learn. Parents should push their kids to do well and if they don't then they are doing a disservice to them.
To each his/her own I guess, but I don't like this move

i would agree that on the surface it is sad that a school district thinks paying them is necessary. Problem is, even though the parents should encourage the students, it too often does not happen in the area under discussion. In fact, many of those students have 1 or 0 parents to care for them. Too many grandparents forced into being parents again and the children get neglected or forgotten.

SWMustang
08-31-2010, 08:57 AM
A pretty good article from George Will today that's relevent to this discussion. 70% of African American children are born out of wedlock.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/editorial/outlook/7178850.html

Various figures denote vexing social problems. They include 10,000 (the number of new baby boomers eligible for Social Security and Medicare every day), 10.2 percent (what the unemployment rate would be if 1.2 million discouraged workers had not recently stopped looking for jobs), $9.9 trillion (the Government Accountability Office calculation of the gap between the expected revenues and outlays for state and local governments during the next 50 years), $76.4 trillion (the GAO's similar estimate of the federal government's 75-year fiscal shortfall).

Remedies for these problems can at least be imagined. But America's tragic number — tragic because it is difficult to conceive remedial policies - is 70 percent. This is the portion of African-American children born to unmarried women. It may explain what puzzles Nathan Glazer.

Writing in The American Interest, Glazer, sociology professor emeritus at Harvard, considers it a "paradox" that the election of Barack Obama "coincided with the almost complete disappearance from American public life of discussion of the black condition and what public policy might do to improve it." This, says Glazer, is the black condition:

Employment prospects for young black men worsened even when the economy was robust. By the early 2000s, more than a third of all young black non-college men were incarcerated. More than 60 percent of black high school dropouts born since the mid-1960s go to prison. Mass incarceration blights the prospects of black women seeking husbands.

Because changes in laws and mores have lowered barriers, the black middle class has been able to leave inner cities, which have become, Glazer says, "concentrations of the poor, the poorly educated, the unemployed and unemployable." High out-of-wedlock birth rates mean a constantly renewed cohort of adolescent males without male parenting, which means disorderly neighborhoods and schools. Glazer thinks it is possible that for some young black males, "acting white" — trying to excel in school — is considered "a betrayal of their group culture." This severely limits opportunities in an increasingly service economy where working with people matters more than working with things in manufacturing employment.

Now, from the Educational Testing Service, comes a report about "The Black-White Achievement Gap: When Progress Stopped," written by Paul E. Barton and Richard J. Coley. It examines the "startling" fact that most of the progress in closing the gap in reading and mathematics occurred in the 1970s and '80s.

This means "progress generally halted for those born around the mid-1960s, a time when landmark legislative victories heralded an end to racial discrimination."

Only 35 percent of black children live with two parents, which partly explains why, while only 24 percent of white eighth-graders watch four or more hours of television on an average day, 59 percent of their black peers do. Black children also are disproportionately handicapped by this class-based disparity: By age 4, the average child in a professional family hears about 20 million more words than the average child in a working-class family and about 35 million more than the average child in a welfare family — a child often alone with a mother who is a high school dropout.

After surveying much research concerning many possible explanations of why progress stopped, the ETS report says: "It is very hard to imagine progress resuming in reducing the education attainment and achievement gap without turning these family trends around — i.e., increasing marriage rates, and getting fathers back into the business of nurturing children." And: "It is similarly difficult to envision direct policy levers" to effect that.

Green Bling
08-31-2010, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I wonder if this, in any way, violates the "amateur" rule for UIL extracurricular participants. :thinking: :nerd:
That was my first thought. I've heard this proposed before. School districts and teachers are constantly reinventing methods of motivating kids ...and their parents. I don't know... I wouldn't work without being paid. Is this the same thing?
In a perfect world, kids would work hard to succeed and parents would do everything they could to see that this happens. Unfortunately, this often is not the case. As a retired teacher, I found this issue more challenging each year I taught. Hey, if it works, maybe it's the answer for this particular district. It will be interesting to follow the outcome.

JasperDog94
08-31-2010, 10:55 PM
How long until someone sues because their school is not included in this?

SintonFan
09-01-2010, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by SWMustang
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/facebook/7172654.html

Fifth-graders at select Houston ISD schools will get richer for passing math tests — and their parents will get paid, too — under a rare experiment to try to boost student performance with cash incentives totaling as much as $1,020 per family.

The Houston school board signed off Thursday on the $1.5 million program, which is funded by the Dallas-based Liemandt Foundation. The incentives will go to students and parents at 25 elementary schools that rank among the lowest in math achievement.

The pilot program — thought to be the first that offers joint incentives for parents and students — will allow fifth-graders to earn up to $440 for passing short math tests that show they have mastered key concepts, according to the draft proposal. Parents will get slightly less money for their children doing the work, and they can earn an extra $180 for attending nine conferences with teachers to review the youngsters' progress.

Combined, the students and their parents can pocket $1,020.

"This is trying to say (to parents), 'We want you to be involved with this math process,'" said Chuck Morris, HISD's chief academic officer. "And it is an incentive for them to take that time to go to the school.

"In many cases, where we have parents who are working hard and are barely making ends meet - 80 percent of our kids are on free- and reduced-lunch - why shouldn't we help them in order to be more involved?"

Parents can opt out of the pay program, which also is expected to include money for teachers - up to $40 per student - for holding the parent conferences. The Houston Independent School District already has the nation's largest program that rewards teachers and school staff for boosting students' scores on standardized tests.

Public support is low
HISD has identified 70 elementary schools that could be eligible for the incentive experiment based on their low percentages of students scoring at the "commended," or advanced, level in math on the Texas Assessment of Knowledge and Skills. Principals and teachers will have to commit to the project for their campuses to be among the 25 chosen.

Nationwide, public support is low for school districts paying students for specific behaviors, such as reading books, attending class or getting good grades, according to the 2010 Phi Delta Kappa/Gallup Poll. About one in four Americans favor the idea. A similar number said they had paid their own children for academic accomplishments.

Houston mom Adela Ruiz, who has a son at one of the eligible schools, Frost Elementary, had a mixed reaction to the incentive plan.

"Maybe it will encourage the kids to do better - to work a little harder - and get the parents more involved in their child's education," she said, smiling when told the payout could top $1,000.

Then, she added, "Parents really shouldn't have to get paid to get involved in their children's education. It's their responsibility."

Dovion McCardle, a fourth-grader at Frost, giggled upon learning about the cash and then answered practically about what she would do with it.

"It's going to be good because you get to collect money for college," she said.

The Education Innovation Laboratory at Harvard University is partnering with HISD to study the pay program. The lab, led by Roland Fryer, an economics professor, has done other studies on student incentives in Chicago, Dallas, New York City and Washington, D.C.

The other programs yielded mixed results, with improved student performance in Dallas and Washington.

The Houston program appears to be based on the Dallas work. Second-graders in Dallas were paid $2 for each book they read once they passed a simple quiz to confirm they had done the reading. Fryer's study found that the students who were promised money improved in reading comprehension and language more than those who weren't offered the reward.

Comes on a card
In HISD, the students and their parents will get $2 for each math objective the child masters. Students will get practice math assignments on a total of 200 concepts and then will take a five-question test. They will get the money for correctly answering at least four questions on each, according to the draft proposal.

Parents will get their money in the form of debit-like cards. The district plans to encourage the students to get their money directly deposited into a savings account that HISD will help set up. Workshops on savings and financial management are included in the project.

HISD Trustee Paula Harris said she wanted to make sure the district set goals for what results it expects from the incentive program.

"That being said, I think it is a wonderful research project," she added.

The Harvard researchers will compare the results of students at the schools paying students with those at similar HISD campuses that are not participating. The analysis will include scores on standardized tests, student behavior, attendance and teacher outcomes such as retention and migration, according to the draft proposal.

Professor is skeptical
The idea of paying parents intrigues Dan Ariely, a Duke University professor who studies human behavior, but he said he expects little long-term benefit from the cash rewards for students.

"The parents actually have some control over the kids," he said. "They can tell the kids to study."

For the students, he said, the monetary incentive will do nothing to instill in them a love of learning. "What is questionable is whether you could create short-term learning or not," he added.

HISD has put another pay experiment on hold. That plan, which had been slated to start this year at the nine campuses in Superintendent Terry Grier's Apollo 20 reform program, would have paid students for attending Saturday tutorials. Morris said Thursday that the district is halting that plan for now because the schools already have a longer day and year, so the weekend tutoring might not be worth the expense.

ericka.mellon@chron.com

Hell NO!
Don't pay them. Dumb dumb dumb idea.
Go back and teach about personal responsibility and then you will see results (enforce new and existing discipline rules, why not also spank those that cause problems at an early age?). Next thing you know, all kids will claim that they should be PAID for schoolwork.

Responsibilities...
not more "rights"...:rolleyes: