PDA

View Full Version : Texas High School Football "Bible"

Ranger Mom
07-06-2002, 07:11 PM
I have a question for you. I have not seen the magazine yet, but just heard that in the magazine Greenwood is picked to win their district (4-3A) followed by Ft. Stockton and Pecos. I also heard that in the top 25 rankings, Pecos is ranked number 20, Greenwood or Ft. Stockton are not ranked. Can anyone verify this for me?? Thanx!!

eye of the tiger
07-06-2002, 07:30 PM
Ranger Mom I just check the magazine and what you heard is correct. The magazine picks Greenwood to win, Ft Stockton to place, and Pecos to show, but Pecos is picked number 20 in the top 25. Best guess is that the district picks were done by a staff member and the top 25 maybe by the entire staff. Just a guess. Good luck to you Rangers this year.

sm51
07-06-2002, 07:31 PM
Yes Ranger Mom its true.

Ranger Mom
07-06-2002, 07:35 PM
Thanks for the info. I am learning more and more about the "ins and outs" of rankings everyday!!

wildstangs
07-06-2002, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom:
I have a question for you. I have not seen the magazine yet, but just heard that in the magazine Greenwood is picked to win their district (4-3A) followed by Ft. Stockton and Pecos. I also heard that in the top 25 rankings, Pecos is ranked number 20, Greenwood or Ft. Stockton are not ranked. Can anyone verify this for me?? Thanx!!

Greenwood will beat Pecos by 21 points easy.

CowboyBob
07-07-2002, 08:29 AM
The Top 25's and District Picks in Texas Football are done by the person who wrote the section, in the case of AAA Bill Hart, which explains the heavy emphasis on West Texas teams, since that is all he knows. You can email him at hartbf@email.msn.com and ask him how a team can be picked third in district and yet be ranked above them both statewide, I am curious to know the answer to that myself.

Ranger Mom
07-07-2002, 09:32 AM
Thanks Cowboybob!! I just sent off an e-mail, we will see if I get a reply!!

Ranger Mom
07-07-2002, 08:23 PM
Believe it or not, I received a reply, this is what Bill Hart had to say:

I used the coaches predictions (top three on the questionaire) and I use my
poor judgement to pick top 25.
It is hard to rate the top 25 when so many playoff teams from a year ago
have a lot of players back. If I had it to do over, Pecos probably would not
be in the top 25.
The forms are returned very slowly by coaches and by the time all
are in, the book deadline is at hand and I rushed through. Blame it on my
stupidity. I thought I had covered all my bases on top 25 and district
picks, but I missed this one.
thanks for your concern,

bill hart

SintonFan
07-08-2002, 12:33 AM
Ranger Mom, that is amazing... if that is accurate, I don't think anyone has gotten a response like that from DCTF.

taylor14
07-08-2002, 11:33 AM
Why is it so hard to picture Pecos at #20? They are an up and coming program with quite a few skill people coming back. Look for good things this year from the eagles.

Let's play two!

Ranger Mom
07-08-2002, 11:44 AM
taylor14...it's not that I don't think Pecos has what it takes - I know NOTHING about the team!! It just seemed to contradict itself as far as the ratings went. I don't pretend to understand all of this. I did go buy my magazine yesterday and looked at it. Maybe it was because Pecos is expeced to go Div 1, while Greenwood and Ft. Stockton are picked for Div 2. This may have been where I got confused at. I just didn't understand how 2 teams expected to come in at the top two spots in district, could be rated lower in the rankings than the number 3 team that was picked. This has nothing to do with Pecos being able to play well. I just didn't understand the reasoning in it. My husband, in his infinite patience, tried to explain to me about Big School-Little School, once again. I swear...someday it will all click and I will say......Oh..I get it!!

taylor14
07-08-2002, 01:49 PM
I see your dilema. I was only commenting due to the lack of respect that Pecos gets on this site.

Let's play two!