PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys don't wear blue jerseys all season

IrishTex
08-26-2010, 07:11 PM
Pretty interesting read (http://lewp.wordpress.com/2010/08/26/the-morning-tweet-and-im-almost-famous/)

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d149/LewP/MTGibbs.jpg

As far as I can remember, this is the first time that's happened.

Also, Forbes Magazine reports that the Cowboys are the most valuable team in the NFL.

Source: Forbes Magazine (http://www.forbes.com/lists/2010/30/football-valuations-10_Dallas-Cowboys_300988.html)

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d149/LewP/dallas-cowboys.jpg

jdawg2012
08-26-2010, 08:08 PM
Darn. I'm not a cowboys fan but I like the blue jerseys. This is just my opinion, but I HATE white jerseys. They always look cheap. Jerseys with color look better and don't look like blurs on my TV.:D

IrishTex
08-26-2010, 08:16 PM
From Wikipedia

Home/road jersey history
The Cowboys were one of the first NFL teams to primarily wear their white jersey at home, as it was an unofficial rule that teams wear their colored jersey at home. This tradition was started in 1964 by Tex Schramm, who wanted fans to see a variety of opponents' colors at home games.[10] Since then, a number of other teams have worn their white uniforms at home, including the Washington Redskins and Miami Dolphins.

Throughout the years, the Cowboys' blue jersey has been popularly viewed to be "jinxed" because the team often seemed to lose when they wore them. This curse purportedly became popular after the team lost Super Bowl V, when they were forced to wear their colored jersey because they were the designated home team.[11] However, the roots of the curse likely date back earlier to the end of the 1968 season when the blue-shirted Cowboys were upset badly by the Cleveland Browns in the divisional playoffs. That turned out to be Don Meredith's final game as a Cowboy. Dallas's lone victory in a conference championship or Super Bowl wearing the blue jerseys was in the 1978 NFC Championship game against the Los Angeles Rams.

Since the 1970 NFL-AFL merger, league rules were changed to allow the Super Bowl home team to pick their choice of jersey. Most of the time, Dallas will wear their blue jerseys when they visit Washington, Philadelphia (sometimes), Miami, or one of the handful of other teams that traditionally wear their white jerseys at home during the first half of the season due to the hot climates in their respective cities. Occasionally opposing teams will wear their white jerseys at home to try to invoke the curse,[12] as when the Philadelphia Eagles hosted the Cowboys in the 1980 NFC Championship Game.[13] The Washington Redskins, after wearing white exclusively in the '80s and '90s, have since 2002 occasionally reverted to using their burgundy jerseys for second-half home games, but will still wear white against the Cowboys. One of the more recent examples of the "curse" happened in 2008 when the 1–4 St. Louis Rams chose to wear their white uniforms at home, forcing the Cowboys to wear road blue uniforms. The Rams would upset the Cowboys 34–14.

Although Dallas has made several tweaks to their blue jerseys over the years, Schramm said he did not believe in the curse.[14] Since the league began allowing teams to use an alternate jersey, the Cowboys' alternates have been primarily blue versions of past jerseys and the Cowboys have generally had success when wearing these blue alternates.

Old Tiger
08-26-2010, 08:45 PM
did they finally get rid of those ugly ass greenish silver pants?

crzyjournalist03
08-26-2010, 09:14 PM
The home pants are expected to change next year. The change wasn't submitted to league offices in time for this year.

Twirling Time
08-26-2010, 10:08 PM
I think the "bad-luck blues" thing is rubbish too. When they have to wear blue, it's always on the road where it's usually tougher. Duh.

Bearkat
08-27-2010, 07:44 AM
Wait a minute. I thought the redskins wore white at home as well. This would put the COWBOYS in blue when they go to washington.