PDA

View Full Version : Sweetwater vs Vernon

Phantom Stang
08-26-2010, 12:13 PM
SW, Vernon look for fresh start
Written by Ron Howell
Thursday, 26 August 2010

Two of the state’s most highly-regarded Class 3A football programs will begin the 2010 season by facing each other this Friday.
But Sweetwater and Ver-non, who met three times in the playoffs over a five-year period from 2003 to 2007 and also reached the postseason two years ago, are both coming off a season where they won just once. Sweetwater’s 1-9 record ended a nine-year postseason run and was its worst record in 31 years. For Ver-non, the last team to win just once played in 1967.
But all that history has little bearing on Friday’s 7:30 p.m. opener at Vernon, which will be the first of many chances this year for the two schools to begin reclaiming their legacies.
Sweetwater coach Craig Slaughter, who was able to turn around losing programs at Hearne and Clyde before coming here prior to last season, and his Mustangs will face a Vernon squad that has a new coach (Andy Correll) and a new offensive strategy as well.
The Lions, who for years employed the Wing-T and rarely threw the ball when they faced Sweetwater, will employ a spread offense. But Slaughter expects Ver-non to still run a lot thanks to sophomore Dexter Butler, who last year gained 949 yards as a freshman.
Slaughter compares But-ler to his own running back, senior B.J. Walker, who had 667 yards a year ago and will be counted upon to lead the ground game again.
“He has a very similar style to B.J.’s,” Slaughter said. “I was very impressed with what I saw of him when they scrimmaged us last year.”
Offensive execution will be a key to winning Friday, Slaughter said. “We need to put everything together,” he said. “We did that last week and I was very glad to see it. We drove from our 8 to the (San Angelo Lake View) 25 and even though we didn’t score points, it was a very successful drive.”
Sweetwater did find the end zone against Lake View, with Walker scoring on a 5-yard run. In addition, senior running back Andrew Leyba hit paydirt on a 17-yard run with the Mustangs’ No. 2 unit during the scrimmage.
Junior QB Taylor Jones, beginning his second year as the starter, was 10-of-14 for 130 yards and found nine different receivers.
“We ran a total of 37 plays with our first team and 13 players touched the ball,” Slaughter said.
“A lot of different kids got to make plays. I love the balance that we showed.”
Malcolm Black had two catches for 70 yards and Tanner Crain also caught two balls for 34. Walker, Leyba, Parker Scott, Connor Stafford, Sam Nemir, Kevin Sepeda and Ryan Linebaugh also caught passes.
Linebacker Kyle Lambert will miss the season opener due to a dislocated elbow but could be back when the Mustangs travel to Mona-hans next week. Josh Gomez will take over in the middle with Nemir and Walker at outside linebacker. Gabriel Medellin is also injured but is available to kick.
“This is our chance to get off to a good start and it’s important that we do so,” Slaughter said.
“We’re anticipating better things this year, and it all starts Friday.”

http://www.sweetwaterreporter.com/content/view/258990/122/

Z motion 10 out on 2
08-26-2010, 02:01 PM
Would be really nice to see both programs have a solid year. I hate to even think that either team could only muster 1 win last year but that was last year and I look forward to reading about some success this year from both prorams.

Thanks for posting the article Phantom Stang~

PPSTATEBOUND
08-26-2010, 02:08 PM
The Water should smash this bunch.

Bullaholic
08-26-2010, 02:14 PM
Vernon and Sweetwater are both old and respected football programs, and I have always( well, not always :D) enjoyed watching the Bulls playing either. I wish both Vernon and Sweetwater a speedy return to success.