PDA

View Full Version : Athletic period

XMan
08-25-2010, 09:31 PM
I would just like to hear some feedback as to what is going on during the athletic period at your school right now. Im guessing from past responses that athletes are using the athletic period to get bigger/faster/strong which will benefit all sports. Surely no teams are using the period to work on football specific activities or watching film or any of that stuff. Since the footballers cant go through the offseason workout on game days, im sure they will do a quick walk through and then go paint the field and get it set up for the games on Fri night. Please let me know how it is at your school.

thanks,
X

bigwood33
08-25-2010, 09:41 PM
I guess every village needs one...and we have ours. NNs

BaseballUmp
08-25-2010, 09:42 PM
Too bad we have more than we may need...

GreenMonster
08-25-2010, 10:20 PM
I don't know, the more I know the more I think his crazy talk makes sense. We still lift our kids, but it's on Monday & Wednesday after practice, and Saturday to get the soreness out. You know what they say, what's good for the goose is good for the gander, so why is it that a football player needs not only game day off from lifting but the day before as well? My AD makes my baseball kids lift on game day and he makes the hoopsters lift the day before, but the football kids get 2 days off. The track kids get the day off from lifting on meet day (sometimes 2 days off if the meet is on Saturday), even the powerlifting kids get Friday off before their Saturday meets. Why should the baseball kids lift if everyone else gets time off to rest before they play? Doesn't make much sense when you take a closer look.

BaseballUmp
08-25-2010, 10:42 PM
Well in Cameron, they don't make you lift on gameday no matter what sport you are playing or what grade you are in...gotta game that day, your getting things ready at the field or packing getting ready load up on the bus and non football basketball players are in the gym shooting, or baseball players are off somewhere throwing or stretching or running whatever they need to do. Powerlifting lifts early in the morning or after school then whatever the period has usually lifting or some sort of conditioning. Baseball or basketball players that don't play football aren't going to be in the way during spring drills either. They will be doing there own lifting in the weight room on opposite days that the football players are outside and will be doing conditioning when they are inside. Play football and baseball, your out there doing football drills...an hour of football drills is not that bad Xman. Still have 2-3 hours of baseball practice so you aren't going to die.

XMan
08-26-2010, 05:44 AM
To green monster, you might want to inform the AD that it is against UIL rules to make athletes participate in offseason athletic period activities on game days. To all others, yes, I look like the village idiot because im not football 24/7. Im just trying to show my perspective that things are not always as they should be. During the spring, everyone is so in favor of the athletic period to be used as a time of conditioning "to make everyone a better athlete". However, in the fall, the athletic period is for football preperation. Why dont the schools use the athletic period for conditioning during the fall to make the football players better athletes? Why dont the football players work out during the period on games days, whether Thurs or Fri? I think we all know the answer to these questions. If your only response is "its always been that way" or because "football is king", those dont fly with me. There is a tremendous double standard and yes super ump from Cameron, im pushing make a difference.

Looking4number8
08-26-2010, 07:08 AM
XMan, here is my honest opinion. Take it for what it is worth (which is not very much). I think you look like the village idiot not because you are not football 24/7 but becuase you like to come on here (a football site) and whine about how popular football is and how it rules high school sports. I honestly think you make some good points sometimes. Baseball and other sports do play 2nd fiddle in most schools as does girls athletics. I only had daughters so needless to say, I had no football players, only a cheerleader/softball player so I can feel your pain. But the thruth is, this is how its gonna be until more parents take a stand. Title 9 (I think that is the correct name of the bill that was passed) is a great law and ruffeled a lot of feathers when it took effect. I remember tons of people complaining about it, but if you think football rules now, you should have been around before titile 9 was passed! It also started the no pass - no play.

What I am trying to say is instead of comming on here crying to people that really dont care why dont you get a large group of parents together in your school district and go to the school board. Make a diffference instead of making an a$$ out of yourself on a chat board. I, for one, would love to hear the results of a well done proposal to a school board. I bet if you did it in an organized and professonial manner you would have more support than you think you would have.

Ok, gottta get down off my pedistal now

BILLYFRED0000
08-26-2010, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
I don't know, the more I know the more I think his crazy talk makes sense. We still lift our kids, but it's on Monday & Wednesday after practice, and Saturday to get the soreness out. You know what they say, what's good for the goose is good for the gander, so why is it that a football player needs not only game day off from lifting but the day before as well? My AD makes my baseball kids lift on game day and he makes the hoopsters lift the day before, but the football kids get 2 days off. The track kids get the day off from lifting on meet day (sometimes 2 days off if the meet is on Saturday), even the powerlifting kids get Friday off before their Saturday meets. Why should the baseball kids lift if everyone else gets time off to rest before they play? Doesn't make much sense when you take a closer look.

Yeah but how many of your baseball kids or hoopsters go out and beat each other on Friday night.

pancho villa
08-26-2010, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster

Got an issue get a tissue! FOOTBALL IS KING!

pancho villa
08-26-2010, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by XMan
I would just like to hear some feedback as to what is going on during the athletic period at your school right now. Im guessing from past responses that athletes are using the athletic period to get bigger/faster/strong which will benefit all sports. Surely no teams are using the period to work on football specific activities or watching film or any of that stuff. Since the footballers cant go through the offseason workout on game days, im sure they will do a quick walk through and then go paint the field and get it set up for the games on Fri night. Please let me know how it is at your school.

thanks,
X

Call the police this boy is scard!

Matthew328
08-26-2010, 08:11 AM
The athletic period for the in season sport should be utilized for that sport...

garciap77
08-26-2010, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by Looking4number8
XMan, here is my honest opinion. Take it for what it is worth (which is not very much). I think you look like the village idiot not because you are not football 24/7 but becuase you like to come on here (a football site) and whine about how popular football is and how it rules high school sports. I honestly think you make some good points sometimes. Baseball and other sports do play 2nd fiddle in most schools as does girls athletics. I only had daughters so needless to say, I had no football players, only a cheerleader/softball player so I can feel your pain. But the thruth is, this is how its gonna be until more parents take a stand. Title 9 (I think that is the correct name of the bill that was passed) is a great law and ruffeled a lot of feathers when it took effect. I remember tons of people complaining about it, but if you think football rules now, you should have been around before titile 9 was passed! It also started the no pass - no play.

What I am trying to say is instead of comming on here crying to people that really dont care why dont you get a large group of parents together in your school district and go to the school board. Make a diffference instead of making an a$$ out of yourself on a chat board. I, for one, would love to hear the results of a well done proposal to a school board. I bet if you did it in an organized and professonial manner you would have more support than you think you would have.

Ok, gottta get down off my pedistal now

:clap: :clap: :clap:

WOW!!!!! Was that really you who wrote this?????:D

;)

bowleghorses
08-26-2010, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by pancho villa

Amen brother...

OLE'BULL
08-26-2010, 08:37 AM
Football takes more physical preparation than any other sport. Kids that dont play football dont do football drills/film/etc. during the athletic period during football season. Still not sure what the issue is. Most kids that play football want to spend as much time as possible getting better in the weightroom/filmroom, not always sure thats the case with basketball, baseball, etc.

LE Dad
08-26-2010, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by Looking4number8

Ok, gottta get down off my pedistal now Great post!!!

XMAN
There is absolutely nothing that we can do to change whatever happens at your schools athletic dept., heck you won't even put what town you're from up??

Take L48s advice and organize with like minded people in your ISD if you want change.

If not then take Panchos and get a tissue.

:D

BILLYFRED0000
08-26-2010, 09:49 AM
IT comes down to the fact that football takes more dedication and time to prepare for football than all other sports.
simple enough when you look at it.

XMan
08-26-2010, 01:25 PM
Im just one man on a mission taking it one step at a time. The only two intelligent responses so far is that the period should be for inseason activities. The other was about organizing and all that. Believe me, thats my intention in all of this, to make a change. I just wish it were for inseason activities year round. Years ago, almost everyone thought the world was flat. When the first guy introduced the idea that the world was round he was ridiculed. How did people know the world was flat, cause its always been that way. Boy were they fools. Less than 200 years ago, africans were captured, enslaved, and brought to the new world. Many people thought nothing of this. Heck, this slavery thing is how its always been done since the beginning of time so it must be correct. Until only a few decades ago, we had seperate facilities for people of color and white people. This was how things were done, nothing wrong with it, right? I brought this up before and got slapped but here I go again. What if we said only a certain ethnic group could work on their sport during the athletic period and all others could not. There would be a serious problem with that. It is no different saying one sport can monopolize the period and the other has no opportunity. Again, all I ask is for you to answer the question of what went on at athletic period today and what did the non football/athletes do during that time. Have a great day, ive got football games to attend today and tomorrow. Im so glad the season has finally started.

Trashman
08-26-2010, 01:36 PM
Im just one man on a mission taking it one step at a time. The only two intelligent responses so far is that the period should be for inseason activities. The other was about organizing and all that. Believe me, thats my intention in all of this, to make a change. I just wish it were for inseason activities year round. Years ago, almost everyone thought the world was flat. When the first guy introduced the idea that the world was round he was ridiculed. How did people know the world was flat, cause its always been that way. Boy were they fools. Less than 200 years ago, africans were captured, enslaved, and brought to the new world. Many people thought nothing of this. Heck, this slavery thing is how its always been done since the beginning of time so it must be correct. Until only a few decades ago, we had seperate facilities for people of color and white people. This was how things were done, nothing wrong with it, right? I brought this up before and got slapped but here I go again. What if we said only a certain ethnic group could work on their sport during the athletic period and all others could not. There would be a serious problem with that. It is no different saying one sport can monopolize the period and the other has no opportunity. Again, all I ask is for you to answer the question of what went on at athletic period today and what did the non football/athletes do during that time. Have a great day, ive got football games to attend today and tomorrow. Im so glad the season has finally started.

Dude..I know a surgeon that could remove that chip from your shoulder.:rolleyes:

poisoned10
08-26-2010, 02:22 PM
[i] go paint the field and get it set up for the games on Fri night. [/B]

People still do that?

OLE'BULL
08-26-2010, 02:35 PM

Just talked to my source ON the Bellville football team. Football team is doing a walk thru, all others in athletics are lifting and running....

eagles_victory
08-26-2010, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
IT comes down to the fact that football takes more dedication and time to prepare for football than all other sports.
simple enough when you look at it. I wouldn't say that... Maybe its the case because the way it is setup. Basketball/Baseball players spend a lot more time playing for basketball and baseball than do football players when you look at summer and what not. Basketball and baseball are year around sports where football isn't (as far as the actual playing season goes) Being from Celina football takes more dedication because that is your main sport.

As for the main idea of the thread by X Man you do make some valid points but as the saying goes it is what it is. There are a lot of injustices that people don't like in every aspect of life and this is just one of them. At some point, you have to accept it.

44INAROW
08-26-2010, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by pancho villa

have missed your insight Pancho.. ;)

spirate_9
08-26-2010, 08:21 PM
1. I would imagine that at most schools, a higher percentage of the school's athletes participate in football than in other sports.

2. Football is more physically demanding than other sports.

GreenMonster
08-26-2010, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
The athletic period for the in season sport should be utilized for that sport...

Actually, I disagree. Even as a baseball coach. I think athletics period is for building athletes which means lifting, running, and agilities. I just want every sport to lift, run, and do agilities every day. If they do these activities every day then you can adjust the intensity/workload as high or low as you want, but the kids get used to it and it will not effect them later in the game. It is my opinion, that most of the damage done is not physical but mental. If the kids think it's going to effect their play then it will. The other thing that burns me is that there needs to be a uniform policy for all sports and not treat one special and dump on the rest and certainly not dump on one more than the rest. It tells the kids that their sport isn't important. What's really bad is I'm at a 2A school and I had more kids out for baseball last spring than what is out for football right now 9-12. 2 coaches for baseball and 9 for football.

XMan
08-26-2010, 10:39 PM
Ok, just got home from watching first football game of the year. Once again ive been stirring the pot and want to clarify some things. First, my "battle" is not for any one particular school but for all schools and all athletes. Im trying to make a wholesale change not picking on any one individual or school. Secondly, Im not at all against football and dont want to drag it down. I want to lift all other sports to the level football is on. Texas HS football is the best in the nation for a lot of reasons. Many of those reasons have to do with how the schools, media, and communities support it from top to bottom. In almost every town Friday Nights is the biggest spectacle of the year and its is great. Im just wanting for support to get stronger for other sports no matter what they are. Thirdly, I understand any change in policy is an uphill battle and realize what is being faced. People keep saying, why come on this board and whine and moan? The reason Im voiceing my opinion here is because just as someone said, its going to take parents, and many of them for change to happen. This board is where athletic fans roam and so it seems to me the best place to throw around my ideas. Lastly, Id like to say good luck to all those playing this season and safe travel to all those that are going to watch. The best part of the year is upon us.

OLE'BULL
08-27-2010, 08:15 AM
Ok, just got home from watching first football game of the year. Once again ive been stirring the pot and want to clarify some things. First, my "battle" is not for any one particular school but for all schools and all athletes. Im trying to make a wholesale change not picking on any one individual or school. Secondly, Im not at all against football and dont want to drag it down. I want to lift all other sports to the level football is on. Texas HS football is the best in the nation for a lot of reasons. Many of those reasons have to do with how the schools, media, and communities support it from top to bottom. In almost every town Friday Nights is the biggest spectacle of the year and its is great. Im just wanting for support to get stronger for other sports no matter what they are. Thirdly, I understand any change in policy is an uphill battle and realize what is being faced. People keep saying, why come on this board and whine and moan? The reason Im voiceing my opinion here is because just as someone said, its going to take parents, and many of them for change to happen. This board is where athletic fans roam and so it seems to me the best place to throw around my ideas. Lastly, Id like to say good luck to all those playing this season and safe travel to all those that are going to watch. The best part of the year is upon us.

I see your point on improving other sports, no problem with that. The problem is that football cost so much more money than any other sport when taking in to consideration equipment, travel, coaches, etc. Football makes so much more money than other sports. It just common sense to go with your largest investment, and largest money maker. Unless volleyball, baseball, basketball can start drawing 4k-10k a home game, I just dont see much changing. And when I was at Bellville, all of the other teams had the equipment they needed. They all had nice uniforms, equipment, etc.

SWMustang
08-27-2010, 08:23 AM
I just walked in to namby pamby land.