PDA

View Full Version : uil memo on timeouts this week

maestro
08-25-2010, 07:30 PM
did anyone else get this memo sent from uil today?

my computer would not open it. please share.

with the title suggested timeouts for subvarsity and varsity games....must be heat related.

thanks

CenTexSports
08-25-2010, 07:38 PM
Yes I got it. It is a letter to coaches telling them that TASO does not have the authority to put these time outs in a game. TASO officials had been instructed to do a heat timeout for the next three weeks.

bigwood33
08-25-2010, 07:40 PM
And the pissing match continues between the UIL and TASO.

BaseballUmp
08-25-2010, 07:58 PM
And here we go again...

BwdLion_80
08-25-2010, 08:31 PM
Here is what it said.

August 21, 2010

My fellow officials,

These past few weeks we have experienced record breaking temperatures of 100 plus and heat index readings exceeding 110 across the State. This weather trend appears to be statewide. The high temperatures, the use of artificial turf fields, and players going both ways, mandates the need to be vigilant that we are affording the student athletes and officials as well, additional opportunities to hydrate during games, and for athletes to be monitored by coaches and training staff.

For the next three weeks I would like us to call an official’s time out approximately midway during each quarter of each game, for all levels of play. For 12 minute quarters approximately at the 6 minute mark 30 seconds either side; for 10 minute quarters at the 5 minute mark; the 8 minute quarters at the 4 minute mark and so forth. These time outs will be standard length and teams be instructed to go to their sidelines. It should be called following the completion of a try, after a field goal, a punt, or a change of team possession.

This policy should be relayed to Coaches during the pregame conference. During the game wing officials should verbalize that the time out may be forthcoming so staff can be preparing. We should also allow training staff to hydrate and attend to players during any extended injury timeout but should not be extended beyond when normal play should be resumed.

At the end of this three week period we will revisit this policy.

A reminder to all of our officials that proper hydration is a day long process. Start drinking fluids early and continue during the day. The fluids you take during the game should be to replenish your water loss Drink plenty and often and be mindful of how you are feeling.

Best of luck to you this week and be safe in your travels.

wimbo_pro
08-25-2010, 08:37 PM
I dont understand why ANYONE would be against this policy. It just might save a kids life. It's only a minute or two...seriously...whats the problem here?

LE Dad
08-25-2010, 08:45 PM
UIL just ticked they didn't think of it!!!

garciap77
08-25-2010, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by LE Dad
UIL just ticked they didn't think of it!!!

Hey LED!! You ready for some football??????:)

zebrablue2
08-25-2010, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by bigwood33
And the pissing match continues between the UIL and TASO.

that was the 1st thought that came to my mind when i got the email today.

TexMike
08-25-2010, 09:29 PM
Rule 3-3-1 permits the officials to call for a discretionary timeout at any point and this does NOT require mutual consent of coaches. I wonder if UIL has any public relations folks on staff and if they are being allowed to weigh in on some the things the UIL has done recently.
This was the UIL's memo today:

MEMO

TO: Football Coaches

SUBJECT: Mandatory Timeouts

DATE: August 25, 2010

The Texas Association of Sports Officials (TASO) recently sent a memo to football officials mandating a new policy regarding heat related issues. This memo creates a new rule that is currently not part of the NCAA rules, nor is it a UIL rule. This policy has been considered in previous years but has been objectionable to coaches, therefore has not become policy.

The UIL Legislative Council must approve changes to policy. If this policy is important to our schools it should be presented to the UIL Medical Advisory Committee, UIL Athletic Committee and/or to the UIL Legislative Council.

NCAA Football Rules 68 Section 3 regarding timeouts states: “The referee may declare and charge himself with a discretionary timeout for any contingency not elsewhere covered by the rules.”

In the interim, schools may utilize procedures that ensure the protection and safety of student athletes by mutual agreement. Any other mandatory rule changes or policies are not authorized by the UIL.

Pre-determined, mandatory timeouts during each quarter are not authorized and shall not be utilized unless both schools mutually agree to this provision prior to the contest.

LE Dad
08-25-2010, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
Hey LED!! You ready for some football??????:) Yes sir I am!!:thumbsup:

Global Swarming
08-26-2010, 08:19 AM
The problem that I have with it is that it could stop the momentum of a drive. You're supposed to wear the opponent down and take advantage of their weaknesses. If you hold the other team to three and out or not let them go on a 12 play drive all the way down the field then you should be okay. Calling a time out when you have the other team on their heels can change the whole outcome of the drive. I know that it's hot. But the kids know that when they sign up to play football. I can guarantee you that they get alot more water breaks than I did when I played in high school. Not to mention all of the gassers that we had to run at the end of practice.

Farmersfan
08-26-2010, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro
I dont understand why ANYONE would be against this policy. It just might save a kids life. It's only a minute or two...seriously...whats the problem here?

I don't think anyone has a problem with fire drills in school either! But we don't want our JANITORS deciding when we should have them!!!!!

Green Bling
08-26-2010, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by Global Swarming
The problem that I have with it is that it could stop the momentum of a drive. You're supposed to wear the opponent down and take advantage of their weaknesses. If you hold the other team to three and out or not let them go on a 12 play drive all the way down the field then you should be okay. Calling a time out when you have the other team on their heels can change the whole outcome of the drive. I know that it's hot. But the kids know that when they sign up to play football. I can guarantee you that they get alot more water breaks than I did when I played in high school. Not to mention all of the gassers that we had to run at the end of practice.

If they call the TO "following the completion of a try, after a field goal, a punt, or a change of team possession", would that stop the momentum of a drive?

CenTexSports
08-26-2010, 09:44 AM
This is a standard rule in many states. When I was in MS it was mandatory until October 1. Officials know a little about football and they are instructed to take the timeout at a good time and to not interrupt a drive.

Comparing this to a Fire Drill is past stupid but if a janitor sees a fire or tornado coming then I hope he/she rings the bell or gets someone to do it.

This hydration timeout is a safety precaution not a drill and I am all for it.

LE Dad
08-26-2010, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
This is a standard rule in many states. When I was in MS it was mandatory until October 1. Officials know a little about football and they are instructed to take the timeout at a good time and to not interrupt a drive.

Comparing this to a Fire Drill is past stupid but if a janitor sees a fire or tornado coming then I hope he/she rings the bell or gets someone to do it.

This hydration timeout is a safety precaution not a drill and I am all for it. They did it here last year and it caused no problems. I think it is a good idea until it cools off. I don't think a drive is more important than these kids saftey. Take that minute or 2 get you a drink and relax and the game should be more exciting down the stretch.:clap: :clap:

Black_Magic
08-26-2010, 10:13 AM
The problem that I have with it is that it could stop the momentum of a drive. You're supposed to wear the opponent down and take advantage of their weaknesses. If you hold the other team to three and out or not let them go on a 12 play drive all the way down the field then you should be okay. Calling a time out when you have the other team on their heels can change the whole outcome of the drive. I know that it's hot. But the kids know that when they sign up to play football. I can guarantee you that they get alot more water breaks than I did when I played in high school. Not to mention all of the gassers that we had to run at the end of practice. I understand , sounds reasonable. How about an extra min or two after the PAT?

Global Swarming
08-26-2010, 10:15 AM
I don't mind if they do it after a change of possession. But what if a running team like us and many others go on a nine minute drive? Are they going to stop play for a water break? After a score and before kick-off they stop play anyways. I don't have a problem with that. But if the clock is still running when a team has the ball and is driving for a score at the 6 minute mark are the refs going to blow the whistle and stop play? If they're going to do that then the time-out should only be for hydration purposes and the coaches shouldn't be able to talk to the players about strategy. The players should have to stay on the field and the coaches on the sidelines.

LE Dad
08-26-2010, 10:30 AM
I don't mind if they do it after a change of possession. But what if a running team like us and many others go on a nine minute drive? Are they going to stop play for a water break? After a score and before kick-off they stop play anyways. I don't have a problem with that. But if the clock is still running when a team has the ball and is driving for a score at the 6 minute mark are the refs going to blow the whistle and stop play? If they're going to do that then the time-out should only be for hydration purposes and the coaches shouldn't be able to talk to the players about strategy. The players should have to stay on the field and the coaches on the sidelines. No, only stops at possession change, not in middle of drives.

Global Swarming
08-26-2010, 10:40 AM
I don't have a problem with it then. I just don't want it to turn into basketball were they have five time-outs a half. I also don't want it to stop the momentum of the game. I'm cool with it if it's only after change of possession.

TexMike
08-26-2010, 02:18 PM
The latest:

Many of you have been contacted directly by the UIL with an email concerning the procedural memo I sent regarding the hydration of players and officials. In light of the contradictory memos from TASO and UIL I would like to clear up and give specific references to the UIL memo as to mine.

The term “policy” refers to procedural guidelines for TASO members only. Nowhere does my statement indicate that I am advocating or changing a UIL policy, nor creating a change or authoring a new NCAA rule.
The memo does not say to use a mandatory time out. The time out referred to as an official’s time out, is the interval where officials will verbally encourage the teams to hydrate. The actual game stoppage as was noted later in the memo is to be done during the normal dead ball interval that follows the completion of a try, after a successful field goal, a punt, or change of team possession at a time that would not affect a team’s momentum. No independent time out was indicated to be called. The noting as to approximately near the mid point of each quarter is a reference so players and officials will be encouraged to hydrate.
The extended time of the dead ball intervals, where we encourage the hydration of players and officials, were to be of standard “time out” length. However here is where official’s discretion has and can be used under rule 3-3-1a to extend the time out until the officials feel all team members have had an opportunity to be furnished liquid. Historically this has not been longer than an additional 30 seconds or so. This is what we have done in previous years with the UIL’s knowledge and acceptance. I have no knowledge that Coaches requested that this procedure be stopped or that they have a problem with us giving additional time to help safeguard their players.

This is all about common sense and good judgment. We are not implementing a mandatory time out, we are not changing the NCAA rules, and we are not setting policy. Before the game the referee should discuss with both coaches, that during a normal break, about the mid point of each quarter, we may extend the normal break to allow the teams and officials the time needed to hydrate if conditions warrant.

With this clarification I again, as my original note to the chapter presidents and secretaries’ indicated, want to reinforce the need to discuss with the coaches during pregame what our intentions are with this procedure and ask for their consent and agreement.

I find it unfortunate that my communication has caused some misunderstandings between our membership, our coaches, school administrators and the UIL. Taso Football will continue to foster a productive relationship with all concerned now and in the future.
Finally, let me be clear. I make no apology for directing the TASO Football Officials to be mindful of the conditions our student athletes must compete in. I will continue to insist that officials take whatever steps within the rules afforded us under NCAA and UIL, to keep these youngsters as safe as possible.

Thank you and best of luck for a good start to the season this weekend.

Bill Fecci,
President
TASO Football Division