PDA

View Full Version : Giddings Buffaloes AP#10

diehard
08-25-2010, 09:54 AM
AP ranks Buffs at No. 10, season begins at home against Burnet on Friday

Monday, August 23, 2010

The Giddings Buffaloes football team is set to begin 2010 pre-district action on Friday, taking on the Burnet Bulldogs at the newly renovated Buffalo Stadium.

Work on the stadium is nearing completion, with construction on the new turf field, a new track and new buildings in its final stages. Upgrades to the buildings at he facility include a larger ticket booth, new bathrooms and a renovated concession stand.

The Associated Press last week released its 2010 preseason Top 10 poll, placing the Buffs in the final slot at number ten. The poll listed Sealy in the number nine spot, the Tigers are the only other Region 3 team in the poll. Brownwood, under the direction of former Burnet coach Bob Shipley, holds the polls number one spot.

Giddings looked sharp in Thursday night's scrimmage against Wimberley. The Buffs worked to fine-tune things on offense while the defense controlled the Texans all night. Wimberley took the field without their stud running back, Dennis Smith (6'1", 212 lbs.) who is verbally committed to A&M. Smith was likely kept on the sidelines to avoid the risk of injury.

As for Burnet, Buffaloes Coach Derek Fitzhenry expects to face a big Bulldogs team with experience. Fitzhenry said that Burnet is a big passing team. But he added that in their scrimmage they seemed to be trying to develop a run game.

Listed below is the Associated Press 3A poll. The number of points received in the voting is listed and the number of first place votes is in parentheses.

Class 3A

(School, Points)

1. Brownwood 217 (9)

2. Lucas Lovejoy 214 (6)

3. Carthage 194 (5)

4. Cuero 174 (3)

5. Prosper 73

6. Celina 71

7. Gilmer 70 (2)

8. Abilene Wylie 65

9. Sealy 63

10. Giddings 60

Others receiving votes: Kirbyville 47, West Orange-Stark 42, Wimberley 39, Argyle 11, Pilot Point 8, Pittsburg 6, Henderson 5, Bridgeport 4, Snyder 4, Graham 3, Kennedale 2, Monahans 2, Seminole 1.

MJMbrahmas10
08-25-2010, 01:28 PM
is giddings really that good? they lost almost every skill player and alot of OL?

gtownfan
08-25-2010, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by MJMbrahmas10
is giddings really that good? they lost almost every skill player and alot of OL?

Actually, the OL were all juniors last year. The only skilled players on offense were the quarterback and wide received (Mack). So this year, back to 5 yards and a cloud of dust I assume (didn't get to make it to any scrimmages).

hookandladder
08-25-2010, 02:02 PM
I was told the QB who transfered in last year for Giddings, did not even finish the school year in Giddings, He transfered back to his old school to graduate with his friends. Is that true.

MJMbrahmas10
08-25-2010, 02:07 PM
I meant ol and dl. I know there were some seniors on dl

diehard
08-25-2010, 02:28 PM
Yes the Buffs will be as good as advertised, they are big and strong on both sides of the ball. QB will be the only question, i hear the coaches son Spencer has been lighting it up so far in pre-season. Should be another great year for the buffs.

diehard
08-25-2010, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by hookandladder
I was told the QB who transfered in last year for Giddings, did not even finish the school year in Giddings, He transfered back to his old school to graduate with his friends. Is that true. Yes that is a true statement, i was told he had a hard time making friends and wanted to go back.

Milk That Cow
08-25-2010, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by MJMbrahmas10

I just think their offense is gonna struggle. Their three best playmakers on offense are gone, and their ability to pound the football with explosive plays is gonna be a whole lot different than years past because this might be the least talented team Giddings has had under Fitzhenry...

Still a good team, but not nearly as good as it's been...

GiddingsFan
08-25-2010, 06:32 PM
Yeah we will see about that -Milk-
We will do just fine. Still have plenty of playmakers.