PDA

View Full Version : Southlake Carroll caught cheating

Emerson1
08-24-2010, 11:47 PM
http://www.wfaa.com/news/investigates/Southlake-Carroll-scrambles-to-answer-quarterback-eligibility-questions-101394059.html

Keith7
08-25-2010, 12:21 AM
This stuff happens all the time in Celina

catgut
08-25-2010, 06:33 AM
The funny thing is that the district committee left it up to Southlake to decide if the kid was eligible. How stupid is that?

gatordaze
08-25-2010, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by Keith7

from what inunderstand Celina has open enrollment and as long as you pay the school taxes you can live wherever you want. As far as I can tell there are no kids that do this. When I moved from Frisco several years ago before open enrollment was passed I was told that in could not commute until my house sold and that I had to prove that I had a residence in Celina and my house on the market before they could start school. I guess that I did not have any players that they needed bad enough to break the rules for me!

Gobbler Fan
08-25-2010, 06:51 AM
If the UIL finds anything wrong ... This could be the start of a Domino effect as far as looking a little more closely into all the so called "move-ins and Transfers" across the State. Everything better be on the up and up and you had better of dotted all your I's and crossed all your T's .:D

BOP64
08-25-2010, 06:53 AM
If the UIL actually holds EVERYBODY to this standard there will be a lot of inelligible players starting today.

navscanmaster
08-25-2010, 07:03 AM
Not that I agree with cheating, but if I were the father, I would have told the reporter to mind his own expletive business, too. There are plenty of corrupt politicians and officials to bother. The UIL can do its own investigating.

Pudlugger
08-25-2010, 07:32 AM
If only these journalists had vetted Obama for eligibility as closely as this 17 year old high school football player.:rolleyes:

GrTigers6
08-25-2010, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by navscanmaster
Not that I agree with cheating, but if I were the father, I would have told the reporter to mind his own expletive business, too. There are plenty of corrupt politicians and officials to bother. The UIL can do its own investigating. I agree, Some reporters seem to cause more trouble by " getting the scoop"

Gsquared
08-25-2010, 07:38 AM
Id be suprised if this kid plays a down.

Matthew328
08-25-2010, 07:57 AM
Where were all you guys when the same guy was exposing SOC?? Very similar style reporting, just a slight difference in what was exposed.

http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=92452&perpage=15&highlight=brett%20shipp&pagenumber=1

Ernest T Bass
08-25-2010, 08:19 AM
They drove to Oklahoma to take pictures of the dad at his house? Seriously? Brett Shipp must be hurting for stories.
9 times out of 10, if a kid moves more than 50 miles, no one questions the move. That's a long way to move for athletic purposes. This is definately a longer move than that, and when you have the publicity that SLC has, of course you're going to get move-ins for that purpose. Geez, leave the kids alone!

Gsquared
08-25-2010, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by Matthew328
Where were all you guys when the same guy was exposing SOC?? Very similar style reporting, just a slight difference in what was exposed.

http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=92452&perpage=15&highlight=brett%20shipp&pagenumber=1
I think alot of it is the same reason you dont see news coverage of a murder in South Dallas but if there is a murder in Plano or Highland Park, that is the lead story.

JJWalker
08-25-2010, 08:44 AM

This is an interesting point.

Matthew328
08-25-2010, 08:50 AM
The only common thread w/SLC and SOC is both teams win...and maybe when you win its a big story when you are potentially doing something wrong....hate it for the kid but there are some interesting concerns with the move...

jason
08-25-2010, 09:01 AM
you would think the administration and coach would bench him to prevent any forfeits down the line....

surely they have a more than capable backup...

it's not like this is some podunk town that has one division1 player come along every 5 years, they seem to always re-load......

wimbo_pro
08-25-2010, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by jason
you would think the administration and coach would bench him to prevent any forfeits down the line....

surely they have a more than capable backup...

it's not like this is some podunk town that has one division1 player come along every 5 years, they seem to always re-load......

I think you are seeing just how they reload.

jason
08-25-2010, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro
I think you are seeing just how they reload. touche

this current situation is pretty blatant though - assuming it has been this way, its never been this obvious.....or has it?

LE Dad
08-25-2010, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Gsquared
Id be suprised if this kid plays a down. Yep, the ineligibilty to play in OK, and the house not being for sale were the final nails in his coffin.

I do think it is hilarious that they spent "all summer" on this!!!! Seems like this should have taken a few days tops... Maybe someone needs to investigate Brett, he could be padding expenses and milking the clock. :thinking:

NastySlot
08-25-2010, 09:18 AM
ok rules are rules....but this residency stuff is always confusing....i don't think the kid was recruited to southlake....if he was than that's what should be exposed. Does the UIL think this kid is going to commute from Choctaw OK to Southlake to play?....why can't a family have a house with furniture in another state?............I'm sure there are families that have homes or property outside their childrens school attendence zones...................im all for busting cheaters but some rules i just don't get.

lulu
08-25-2010, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by NastySlot
ok rules are rules....but this residency stuff is always confusing....i don't think the kid was recruited to southlake....if he was than that's what should be exposed. Does the UIL think this kid is going to commute from Choctaw OK to Southlake to play?....why can't a family have a house with furniture in another state?............I'm sure there are families that have homes or property outside their childrens school attendence zones...................im all for busting cheaters but some rules i just don't get.

I'm with you. Lots of folks work out of town during the week or month and come home at breaks. And plenty of people have second homes.
Nothing says you can't use your second home while you are away working.

If the kid resides there...who cares where Dad has to work to make a living and use the second residence while doing so?

Get over it.
Just as bad happens around here, they just don't get investigated. Recruiting happens...cheating goes on. Not saying its right....just that it is overlooked. Like the other poster said.....that' how they reload.

Emerson1
08-25-2010, 09:38 AM
Things just add up to make it really suspicious. The kid was not going to be allowed to play in Oklahoma basically for the entire season for this exact same reason.

WFAA and Belo now have a pretty big and rich enemy now though.

wimbo_pro
08-25-2010, 09:40 AM
In the Dad's defense, dont homes sell better WITH furniture in them? What if he and the wife are on the splits, and a separation is part of the reason they are in Dallas?

LE Dad
08-25-2010, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Things just add up to make it really suspicious. The kid was not going to be allowed to play in Oklahoma basically for the entire season for this exact same reason.

WFAA and Belo now have a pretty big and rich enemy now though. Yes, that is what is going to make him inelligble and the one thing that the AD should have checked.

I would sure hate to answer phones at WFAA for the next few days... this could get nasty SLC is not SOC.

Farmersfan
08-25-2010, 09:50 AM
In the Dad's defense, dont homes sell better WITH furniture in them? What if he and the wife are on the splits, and a separation is part of the reason they are in Dallas?

If a frog had wings he wouldn't bump his arse every time he jumped!!!! :D

I personally think a high school kid should be able to move any where he wants and play anywhere he wants as long as the school doesn't actively recruit him. For many of these kids athletics is their ticket to better things and the bigger the team they play for the more likley they will be seen! Would the UIL step in if a kid moves from one school to the other for their debate team, Band, or Science club?????? Why is athletics so much different?

Emerson1
08-25-2010, 10:00 AM
What a great plan.

They need to just come out and say they are getting a divorce and his mom is gonna live in SLC.

NastySlot
08-25-2010, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
What a great plan.

They need to just come out and say they are getting a divorce and his mom is gonna live in SLC.

if I remember right sepreration and pending divorces don't exempt you either............the rules get really complicating.

LE Dad
08-25-2010, 10:08 AM
if I remember right sepreration and pending divorces don't exempt you either............the rules get really complicating. Yeah, I think you actually must file.

lulu
08-25-2010, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Farmersfan

I personally think a high school kid should be able to move any where he wants and play anywhere he wants as long as the school doesn't actively recruit him. For many of these kids athletics is their ticket to better things and the bigger the team they play for the more likley they will be seen! Would the UIL step in if a kid moves from one school to the other for their debate team, Band, or Science club?????? Why is athletics so much different?

RIGHT ON

Black_Magic
08-25-2010, 10:20 AM
No Brownwood folks on this thread;)

Old Tiger
08-25-2010, 10:21 AM
touche

this current situation is pretty blatant though - assuming it has been this way, its never been this obvious.....or has it? Dodge knew how to run a program in every aspect.

lulu
08-25-2010, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by LE Dad
Yeah, I think you actually must file.

They can file and never carry through. I've seen that before.
I just don't get the big deal.
Same as the QB that moved to Gilmer a few years back and nothing was said about that. His Dad stayed behind as I remember. Went to Baylor to coach I think. So what. Let the kid alone.

waterboy
08-25-2010, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by lulu
They can file and never carry through. I've seen that before.
I just don't get the big deal.
Same as the QB that moved to Gilmer a few years back and nothing was said about that. His Dad stayed behind as I remember. Went to Baylor to coach I think. So what. Let the kid alone.
The difference is his Mom actually was divorced from his Dad, and his Mom actually lived in Gilmer and ran her business from there. He moved away from Canton because he had threats against him from students at that school, too.

wimbo_pro
08-25-2010, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Farmersfan

I hear you, FarmersFan. I guess I am only trying to say that there might be more to the story than what we are being told in that report. Stranger things have happened!

LE Dad
08-25-2010, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by waterboy
The difference is his Mom actually was divorced from his Dad, and his Mom actually lived in Gilmer and ran her business from there. He moved away from Canton because he had threats against him from students at that school, too. Yeah that was more than just a simple move to play football deal... plus he was not declared ineligble by another State.

NastySlot
08-25-2010, 12:30 PM
plus he was not declared ineligble by another State.

he was declared ineligible by the same governing body of high school sports that allows private schools to compete with public.......just wondering how they regulate the attendence zones for private school kids (if they do).......wonder if it would of been all right for the kid to not play at the public school he was zoned to but to travel to another city to play for a private school.

Aesculus gilmus
08-25-2010, 03:11 PM
Why has there not been a UIL hearing on this already? When G.J. Kinne moved to Gilmer, we had to go to Waco almost immediately to prove to the retired athletic director of the Fort Worth ISD who was in charge of the hearing that he was legit.

The hearing officer weighed a lot of evidence and ruled in favor of eligibility. Mrs. Carter (G.J.'s mother) and her family still live here to this day, BTW.

Pick6
08-25-2010, 03:23 PM
Hmmm, my sister has been married for over 25years, during the school year her and her husband live in different towns for work reasons, wonder what the UIL would say about that. Heck, my father-in-law lives in NW Colorado and my mother-in-law lives in Kerrville, they have been married for 43 years, guess it's a good thing all their kids are out of school.

bobcat4life
08-25-2010, 04:33 PM
I bet Southlake pays its recruits well...

Emerson1
08-25-2010, 04:36 PM
It must suck another school is outbidding Celina.

Txbroadcaster
08-25-2010, 04:50 PM
he was declared ineligible by the same governing body of high school sports that allows private schools to compete with public.......just wondering how they regulate the attendence zones for private school kids (if they do).......wonder if it would of been all right for the kid to not play at the public school he was zoned to but to travel to another city to play for a private school.

who was?

Emerson1
08-25-2010, 04:53 PM
The daxx kid. He was gonna be suspended for like 6 games this season.

lulu
08-25-2010, 04:58 PM
The difference is his Mom actually was divorced from his Dad, and his Mom actually lived in Gilmer and ran her business from there. He moved away from Canton because he had threats against him from students at that school, too.
Where is this kids Mom? Surely they did not move the child by himself. This is just nuts. I knew GJ's parents werent together but did not know why. Anyway he came and all was well and no one pitched a fit about it. Surely these folks would not go to such lengths for football and not cover their behinds. Or Not........:rolleyes:

sinfan75
08-25-2010, 05:03 PM
I don't think the residency part is the big issue. With him ineligible to play in OK, the UIL may be lookin at whether he should be able to play in Texas. I say let the kid play.

NastySlot
08-25-2010, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
who was?

the qb in question at southlake....was to be from what i read suspended (ineligible) this season for the same amount games he played the previous season. OSSAA would be the governing body.

waterboy
08-25-2010, 05:10 PM
Where is this kids Mom? Surely they did not move the child by himself. This is just nuts. I knew GJ's parents werent together but did not know why. Anyway he came and all was well and no one pitched a fit about it. Surely these folks would not go to such lengths for football and not cover their behinds. Or Not........:rolleyes:
His Mom still lives in Gilmer. His Dad took a coaching job out at Baylor if I remember correctly. He didn't want to move with his Dad so he moved in with his Mom. Regardless of where he went, he felt he had to get away from Canton. It's really very simple, and people want to make it out like he was recruited.....Geeesshh!:rolleyes: Everything about his situation checked out and was legit.

LE Dad
08-25-2010, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by sinfan75
I don't think the residency part is the big issue. With him ineligible to play in OK, the UIL may be lookin at whether he should be able to play in Texas. I say let the kid play. Yep even if residency is fine they are gonna say move was for athletic purposes.:doh: I just don't see this kid getting a break, even if daddy takes it to court I don't see it. This is happening to close to football season.

I wonder just how long this story did sit before they aired it.:thinking:

Pick6
08-25-2010, 05:20 PM
Yep even if residency is fine they are gonna say move was for athletic purposes.:doh: I just don't see this kid getting a break, even if daddy takes it to court I don't see it. This is happening to close to football season.

I wonder just how long this story did sit before they aired it.:thinking:

Just a guess, but I bet he plays in all the games with no problems at all. Kids move to different schools yearly for athletic purposes and the UIL knows it and lets it happen. This is no different.

LH Panther Mom
08-25-2010, 05:21 PM
I don't think the residency part is the big issue. With him ineligible to play in OK, the UIL may be lookin at whether he should be able to play in Texas. I say let the kid play.
I may be confusing myself, but I seem to remember there being a rule that if a student athlete is ineligible at the previous school, he's ineligible at the new school. Maybe that's a district thing?

LE Dad
08-25-2010, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Pick6
Just a guess, but I bet he plays in all the games with no problems at all. Kids move to different schools yearly for athletic purposes and the UIL knows it and lets it happen. This is no different. You could be right, but as much publicity as this is getting I think they will act.

Charlie47
08-25-2010, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by navscanmaster
Not that I agree with cheating, but if I were the father, I would have told the reporter to mind his own expletive business, too. There are plenty of corrupt politicians and officials to bother. The UIL can do its own investigating.

He did, they deleted it! I watched it, he also threw a sack
of ice at him.:)

sinfan75
08-25-2010, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I may be confusing myself, but I seem to remember there being a rule that if a student athlete is ineligible at the previous school, he's ineligible at the new school. Maybe that's a district thing? What I was lookin at was the out of state inelibility. Should or could the UIL hold a kid ineligible to hold up the other states ruling.

Aesculus gilmus
08-25-2010, 06:25 PM

Someone DID pitch a fit about GJ and that's why we had to have an immediate UIL hearing in Waco.

"Kinne's Gilmer eligibility was not certified in a District 13-3A meeting. Pittsburg and Mineola didn't approve Kinne's eligibility while Gladewater and Sabine did."

http://www.dallasblog.com/20060420450770/david-mcnabb-s-high-school-sports/florida-offers-kinne-uil-affirms-gilmer-eligibility.html?page=0&pop=1

garciap77
08-25-2010, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Keith7

:eek: :eek: :eek:

lulu
08-25-2010, 07:27 PM
His Mom still lives in Gilmer. His Dad took a coaching job out at Baylor if I remember correctly. He didn't want to move with his Dad so he moved in with his Mom. Regardless of where he went, he felt he had to get away from Canton. It's really very simple, and people want to make it out like he was recruited.....Geeesshh!:rolleyes: Everything about his situation checked out and was legit.

Geezzzzz I was asking where the kid in SLC Mom is? Not the guy from Gilmer.

No one ever questioned Kinney. Get your head out. We're talking about the kid from OK.
Little touchy there,,,huh man?

lulu
08-25-2010, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Aesculus gilmus
Someone DID pitch a fit about GJ and that's why we had to have an immediate UIL hearing in Waco.

"Kinne's Gilmer eligibility was not certified in a District 13-3A meeting. Pittsburg and Mineola didn't approve Kinne's eligibility while Gladewater and Sabine did."

http://www.dallasblog.com/20060420450770/david-mcnabb-s-high-school-sports/florida-offers-kinne-uil-affirms-gilmer-eligibility.html?page=0&pop=1

Thank you Ag.....I never heard anyone question him. To me I figured he needed to get the heck out of Canton. I never saw anything wrong with that.
Don't really see much problem here. But I'm a bit more liberal thinking than some when it comes to football,
narrow minded folks gonna rip this apart.

LH Panther Mom
08-25-2010, 09:39 PM
What I was lookin at was the out of state inelibility. Should or could the UIL hold a kid ineligible to hold up the other states ruling.
Yeah, I got that. Like I said, it might be a district rule some have and not a UIL one, but if it is, I would think the same would apply.

WITH THAT SAID: Everyone, remember that there is a KID involved here. Please keep it civil and let's see how it plays out.

waterboy
08-26-2010, 08:50 AM
Geezzzzz I was asking where the kid in SLC Mom is? Not the guy from Gilmer.

No one ever questioned Kinney. Get your head out. We're talking about the kid from OK.
Little touchy there,,,huh man?
You mentioned him in your post so I assumed you were talking about him. Sorry for the misunderstanding. A little touchy? Not really. How about you?:p

lulu
08-26-2010, 10:10 AM
You mentioned him in your post so I assumed you were talking about him. Sorry for the misunderstanding. A little touchy? Not really. How about you?:p
I was just wondering if the kids Mother was in SLC with him. This all seems a bit blown out of sight to me. Guess it matters a lot to some folks up there though.
yeah...I like touchy. With Hubby ..of course. About other things..not so much.

Good luck ....is it tonight? I think I saw that somewhere.
We go to Lindale tomorrow. Hope we do good.
Hope everyone......everywhere stays healthy.

:p :p :p :p :p

waterboy
08-26-2010, 10:32 AM
I don't know why they didn't just enroll the kid in a school that had an open enrollment policy. That would've saved everybody a lot of trouble.

BTW, good luck Friday for the Panthers. I hope they beat Lindale. Are you gonna make to the Buckeye game tonight?

LE Dad
08-26-2010, 10:37 AM
I don't know why they didn't just enroll the kid in a school that had an open enrollment policy. That would've saved everybody a lot of trouble. Still have same headaches, LE has open enrollment, but our athletes still have to prove residency, and then you get one that used to live out of district and then moves in and the headaches are worse.:doh:

People take this stuff way to serious on both sides they need to realize that these are little 15-17 year olds that they put in the middle. Now this kid is caught in the middle and I imagine all he wanted to do was to play a game.:nerd:

waterboy
08-26-2010, 10:51 AM
Still have same headaches, LE has open enrollment, but our athletes still have to prove residency, and then you get one that used to live out of district and then moves in and the headaches are worse.:doh:

People take this stuff way to serious on both sides they need to realize that these are little 15-17 year olds that they put in the middle. Now this kid is caught in the middle and I imagine all he wanted to do was to play a game.:nerd:
Yep. That wouldn't even be an issue for transfers in Texarkana IF they would consolidate those separate districts. The unfair part is in cities like Dallas and Houston they are allowed to recruit from different areas of the city because they are in the same I.S.D.

BuckeyeNut
08-26-2010, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
If only these journalists had vetted Obama for eligibility as closely as this 17 year old high school football player.:rolleyes: :clap: :clap: :clap:

lulu
08-26-2010, 02:26 PM
I don't know why they didn't just enroll the kid in a school that had an open enrollment policy. That would've saved everybody a lot of trouble.

BTW, good luck Friday for the Panthers. I hope they beat Lindale. Are you gonna make to the Buckeye game tonight?
I really hate that this (seems) talented young athlete has been put in the middle of this war. I'm sure all he wants to do is play ball, For him,,,I hope he gets to,

I would like to see the game but don't know if I can talk Hubby into it. If it were in Gilmer I would have a better chance.
He loves to go watch Dylan play but he's not the high school fan I am.
Could just go by myself. What time?

Deuce
08-26-2010, 02:46 PM
I wonder if this story even makes the news if this kid had transferred to somewhere like Sweetwater. And i only said Sweetwater because it just popped into my head. I am just saying that if he would not have went to such a high profile school this would not be an issue. IMO

jason
08-26-2010, 02:48 PM
ill be at the slc game friday @ copperas cove...

waterboy
08-26-2010, 02:59 PM
I really hate that this (seems) talented young athlete has been put in the middle of this war. I'm sure all he wants to do is play ball, For him,,,I hope he gets to,

I would like to see the game but don't know if I can talk Hubby into it. If it were in Gilmer I would have a better chance.
He loves to go watch Dylan play but he's not the high school fan I am.
Could just go by myself. What time?
Kickoff is at 7:30.

BwdLion73
08-26-2010, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
No Brownwood folks on this thread;)

:p

Pick6
08-26-2010, 03:11 PM
ill be at the slc game friday @ copperas cove...

Give us an update on how this kid looks Friday night.

sinfan75
08-26-2010, 09:55 PM
Lookin on the 5A website, it seems like SLC covered all the bases and a certain reporter jumped the gun. UIL will give their decision tomorrow. From what I read the kids ineligibility was the fault of the school in OK not turning in proper paperwork so the kid got punished. Ya'll go to the 5A site and make your own decisions.

lulu
08-26-2010, 11:41 PM
sorry posted on wrong thread

Bullaholic
08-27-2010, 12:23 PM
The latest....

http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/08/27/2428928/carroll-qb-declared.html

Gonna make it a little tough for SLC tonight.

LE Dad
08-27-2010, 12:26 PM
Lookin on the 5A website, it seems like SLC covered all the bases and a certain reporter jumped the gun. UIL will give their decision tomorrow. From what I read the kids ineligibility was the fault of the school in OK not turning in proper paperwork so the kid got punished. Ya'll go to the 5A site and make your own decisions. The reporter was a former HP football player... could this be the cause?? lol

Matthew328
08-27-2010, 12:47 PM
DEC declared Garman ineligible

Gobbla2001
08-27-2010, 12:51 PM
DEC declared Garman ineligible

can they still use a TomTom?

Gsquared
08-27-2010, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
can they still use a TomTom?
Oh wow, you suck. That was horrible. Hey, did you hear where they found those miners in Chile? Found em alive. Evidently they are sending down water, food, fresh air and condoms. Dont know why they are sending condoms since its illegal to have sex with a miner.

Gobbla2001
08-27-2010, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Gsquared
Oh wow, you suck. That was horrible. Hey, did you hear where they found those miners in Chile? Found em alive. Evidently they are sending down water, food, fresh air and condoms. Dont know why they are sending condoms since its illegal to have sex with a miner.

ha... A horrible joke in hand is worth a good one in the bush...

jambo67
08-27-2010, 05:15 PM
They should have rented an apartment in Dallas Jesuit's district. Then put up the untouchable force field of religous purposes.