PDA

View Full Version : Is Abilene Wylie Really that Good?

Pages : [1] 2

Rocket
08-24-2010, 10:57 PM
When Brownwood won their 7 State Championships, 6 were won in 3A and 1 in 4A. Brownwood was at the top of the food chain. Large enrollment and had legendary coaches. A lot like your present day Wylie program. Brownwood had good kids, good homes, and big 'ol farm fed boys... they played hard and played together.

My question is this... If Abilene Wylie is so dang good, why haven't they won more State Championships? I guess if you are happy going 3 Rounds deep every year, it's ok...but I would figure by now, with their formula and enrollment and type of kids, they would have done gone and won 10 SC's? What's missing? :) HAHA

RMAC
08-24-2010, 11:01 PM
#1. Quit living in the past.
#2. Perhaps there's better talent\competition that the bulldogs compete again year in and year out.

DDBooger
08-24-2010, 11:02 PM
And here we go! :1popcorn:
http://i992.photobucket.com/albums/af49/HakuroNya/the-joker-17-movie.gif

Rocket
08-24-2010, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by RMAC
#1. Quit living in the past.
#2. Perhaps there's better talent\competition that the bulldogs compete again year in and year out.

Who's living in the past? Just making a comparison. And your #2 argument isn't relevant. Brownwood played in the comparable present day system. Just like Wylie does today. Give me a decent argument.

RMAC
08-24-2010, 11:12 PM
29 and soon to be 30 years is living in the past. Reagan had been in office 11 months the last time brownwood won state. I'm just going to guess at numbers but you have more than twice as many teams in the playoffs and who knows how many more high schools to compete against. Do you want to look at how many more people live in texas now than 30 years ago? Or how about the 60s when the lions started winning a lot? Hopefully you see my point now you asked a question and I answered it. Probably not the answer you'd hoped for but a logical answer nonetheless.

Emerson1
08-24-2010, 11:16 PM
Didn't Wylie win state in '05 or '04?

Winning championships 30 years ago doesn't affect if you are good today or not.

jrhernandez7
08-24-2010, 11:18 PM
29 and soon to be 30 years is living in the past. Reagan had been in office 11 months the last time brownwood won state. I'm just going to guess at numbers but you have more than twice as many teams in the playoffs and who knows how many more high schools to compete against. Do you want to look at how many more people live in texas now than 30 years ago? Or how about the 60s when the lions started winning a lot? Hopefully you see my point now you asked a question and I answered it. Probably not the answer you'd hoped for but a logical answer nonetheless.

haha, realy 29years???? ya, think its safe to say its a whole diff ballgame these days. so many diffrent factors now. ill give him credit tho, being game week this board has been a little to nice to each other, ill give it to him for stiring the pot a little.

ccmom
08-24-2010, 11:27 PM
If the answer you are looking for is "No, they are not that good" then the conclusion is that since dropping to 3A, Brownwood is 0-2 against a mediocre program. Not to mention that their most recent loss to Wylie was a spanking. :devil:

hollywood
08-24-2010, 11:44 PM
I'm just going to guess at numbers but you have more than twice as many teams in the playoffs and who knows how many more high schools to compete against. :rolleyes:

Did you know that only 1 team went to the playoffs then? The playoffs are freakin watered down today. 50% of the teams don't really deserve to be there anyway due to half of the teams in some districts gettin to go! The first 2 weeks are just filtering out the "don't belongs" anyway. When the Brownwood won their 7, the best of the best of each district went on to play post season. Now tell me it was way easier then than now. Please! :hand:

hollywood
08-24-2010, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by ccmom
If the answer you are looking for is "No, they are not that good" then the conclusion is that since dropping to 3A, Brownwood is 0-2 against a mediocre program. Not to mention that their most recent loss to Wylie was a spanking. :devil:

Yeah, you're going to eat those words... spanking... for dinner after this years pummeling of your little puppy dogs!

:D

'84 Stang
08-24-2010, 11:49 PM
Rocki.....since you choose to live and celebrate in the past - one might also wonder why lil ol' Sweetwater has owned the Lions on a historical basis? And if you really want to go after Wylie and their DOMINATE Program....you might wanna re-think that one....I doubt Wylie goes out and recruits like Brownwood was able to do in their hay day.....But then again that's all in the past....Presently you have a number one ranking and a HUGE target on your chest...Looking back in the past ( where you choose to live ) how has Brownwood responded when there were huge expectations? 3-7! But boy you sure entertained us....Is there a state trophy for that?

rholl
08-25-2010, 07:24 AM
maybe they didnt have Early right next door??????? hmmmmmmm

Looking4number8
08-25-2010, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by rholl
maybe they didnt have Early right next door??????? hmmmmmmm

True, but they do have Cooper, Abilene High and Jim Ned right next door.

garciap77
08-25-2010, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by Rocket
Is Abilene Wylie Really that Good?

Good enough to beat Brownwood two years in a roll! :D

garciap77
08-25-2010, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by Looking4number8
True, but they do have Cooper, Abilene High and Jim Ned right next door.

If you only knew, how some parents from Abilene avoid sending their students to Wylie to play football. They believe 3A hurts their kid's chance of play college football.

ivchris
08-25-2010, 08:24 AM

A spanking in their own home with that intimidating stadium entrance and all. :D :rolleyes:

Looking4number8
08-25-2010, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by garciap77
If you only knew, how some parents from Abilene avoid sending their students to Wylie to play football. They believe 3A hurts their kid's chance of play college football.
I know a bunch of kids move out of Wylie but I always figured it was because of that nasty purple color... :D :D :D

ivchris
08-25-2010, 08:56 AM

You're correct. I think Matt Preston would have gotten a scholarship to a big school had he played at Abilene High or Cooper. He didn't get any help from the coaches at Wylie to advance his career at the next level, which is a shame. Steve Warren at Abilene High would have worked to help this kid get some recognition for his contribution to the program.

Bosqueville
08-25-2010, 08:59 AM
Watch out! The sky may be falling. I just saw a Wylie poster say something negative about the Wylie program!! Has that ever happened??

lostaussie
08-25-2010, 09:00 AM
This is some fun reading:D

Black_Magic
08-25-2010, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by ivchris
You're correct. I think Matt Preston would have gotten a scholarship to a big school had he played at Abilene High or Cooper. He didn't get any help from the coaches at Wylie to advance his career at the next level, which is a shame. Steve Warren at Abilene High would have worked to help this kid get some recognition for his contribution to the program. :doh:

Bullaholic
08-25-2010, 09:11 AM
You know, this thread probably made some roll their eyes, but I am glad to see a thread like this----about traditional Texas high school football rivaly with folks citing records, past season glories, present season prospects, and arguing football much like they did years ago in coffeeshops and cafes across this state. To me this is the essence for which this board was created. No "Your team sucks" arguments here----mostly facts and some brags---and I for one, am glad.

Brownwood's rich history, and Abilene Wylie's rise to excellence represent two of the best programs out there, and I am going to enjoy following both this season---it's going to be grand, folks.

Eagle 1
08-25-2010, 09:19 AM
This thread reminds me I have a wasp nest to kill.

http://allfloridabeeremoval.com/nucleus/media/1/20090902-boythrowingrockatbees.gif
^Rocket^

Rocket
08-25-2010, 09:48 AM
You're correct. I think Matt Preston would have gotten a scholarship to a big school had he played at Abilene High or Cooper. He didn't get any help from the coaches at Wylie to advance his career at the next level, which is a shame. Steve Warren at Abilene High would have worked to help this kid get some recognition for his contribution to the program.

It seems to me that Sphinctifer and the boys aren't going to bat for their kids in the recruiting area. But on the other hand, Wylie really hasn't seen any of their boys go to a Major College team. Once they breakout, they may get more attention. There are things coaches can do for their players as far as getting them attention. You don't just sit around and wait for them to come to you.

Rocket
08-25-2010, 09:50 AM

Good job, you spanked a Brownwood team that played musical QB's the entire game. Wow. What about the year before? You won because a ref blew a call. Whippee.

2-2 is the game count now. We take the advantage this season.

Rocket
08-25-2010, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by '84 Stang
Rocki.....since you choose to live and celebrate in the past - one might also wonder why lil ol' Sweetwater has owned the Lions on a historical basis? And if you really want to go after Wylie and their DOMINATE Program....you might wanna re-think that one....I doubt Wylie goes out and recruits like Brownwood was able to do in their hay day.....But then again that's all in the past....Presently you have a number one ranking and a HUGE target on your chest...Looking back in the past ( where you choose to live ) how has Brownwood responded when there were huge expectations? 3-7! But boy you sure entertained us....Is there a state trophy for that?

I will deal with Sweetwater when they are relevant again. I don't see that happening for a while.

Troybuilt
08-25-2010, 09:53 AM

Matt was told that years ago. He considered moving but very few kids can make that decision at that age.

Rocket
08-25-2010, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by hollywood
:rolleyes:

Did you know that only 1 team went to the playoffs then? The playoffs are freakin watered down today. 50% of the teams don't really deserve to be there anyway due to half of the teams in some districts gettin to go! The first 2 weeks are just filtering out the "don't belongs" anyway. When the Brownwood won their 7, the best of the best of each district went on to play post season. Now tell me it was way easier then than now. Please! :hand:

Heck no, they don't think about one team only going to the playoffs. Brownwood would have 15 SC's if we had never went to 4A. No doubt in my mind.

That is my question. Of all the 3A's in the state, Wylie is the closest comparison to the Brownwood programs of the past. They have a ton of kids, good kids, and a coach that never leaves. What is the difference? They should be winning SC's left and right.

Not saying they aren't good. Just saying they aren't THAT good. I think Wylie should have more than 2? or 1? How many do they have?

Bullaholic
08-25-2010, 09:58 AM
I will deal with Sweetwater when they are relevant again. I don't see that happening for a while.

You forget that this is Texas high school football, Rocket. You can't discount anybody out-of-hand. If Brownwood manages to come into the Sweetwater game undefeated, how big a target do you think they will be to those Sweetwater kids? And don't say it can't happen---desire and motivation does play a huge part in these games. Last season the Bulls went to Decatur for what should have been a walk-over and found themselves on the short end of the score to the tune of 21-0 before the half because of a bunch of absolutely revved-up Eagle players.

LE Dad
08-25-2010, 10:18 AM
Good job, you spanked a Brownwood team that played musical QB's the entire game. Wow. What about the year before? You won because a ref blew a call. Whippee.

2-2 is the game count now. We take the advantage this season. http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/ManOfDaHour23/noexcuses.jpg

Rocket
08-25-2010, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
You forget that this is Texas high school football, Rocket. You can't discount anybody out-of-hand. If Brownwood manages to come into the Sweetwater game undefeated, how big a target do you think they will be to those Sweetwater kids? And don't say it can't happen---desire and motivation does play a huge part in these games. Last season the Bulls went to Decatur for what should have been a walk-over and found themselves on the short end of the score to the tune of 21-0 before the half because of a bunch of absolutely revved-up Eagle players.

I am talking about on this thread. He brings up crap about Sweetwater. Not in the mood for them right now.

Bullaholic
08-25-2010, 10:32 AM
I am talking about on this thread. He brings up crap about Sweetwater. Not in the mood for them right now.

If you were from Sweetwater, wouldn't you bring up "crap" about the Mustangs? Everyone loves their team, Rocket---including Sweetwater fans...:D

ccmom
08-25-2010, 10:42 AM

2-2 is the game count now. We take the advantage this season.

Hilarious. :rolleyes: I love how non-district games and scrimmages only mean something when Brownwood wins. :rolleyes:

On that note...can anyone tell me how to quote a post from someone if the thread has been closed? I have found a few little gems from the past that I thought would be fun to repost, but I get a message that says I can't quote them because the thread is closed. :devil:

Rocket
08-25-2010, 10:52 AM
Hilarious. :rolleyes: I love how non-district games and scrimmages only mean something when Brownwood wins. :rolleyes:

On that note...can anyone tell me how to quote a post from someone if the thread has been closed? I have found a few little gems from the past that I thought would be fun to repost, but I get a message that says I can't quote them because the thread is closed. :devil:

And it's hilarious to me how only district games matter. LOL Guess what people! If you get beat in pre-district, it wasn't really a loss. :rolleyes:

Rocket
08-25-2010, 10:53 AM
If you were from Sweetwater, wouldn't you bring up "crap" about the Mustangs? Everyone loves their team, Rocket---including Sweetwater fans...:D

What's the title of the thread? Case closed.

Rocket
08-25-2010, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1

neither does winning one in '05 or '04... none of those kids are still currently playing. NEXT!

PPSTATEBOUND
08-25-2010, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1

Fail

Pilot Point

3 State Championships and 33 consecutive winning seasons.

Rocket
08-25-2010, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by PPSTATEBOUND
Fail

Pilot Point

3 State Championships and 33 consecutive winning seasons.

HAHA..nice

Rocket
08-25-2010, 11:05 AM

Oh cry me a river... Cuz all these Abilene High and Cooper players are just going D1 like crazy... LOL

Bullaholic
08-25-2010, 11:05 AM
What's the title of the thread? Case closed.

He used Brownwood-Sweetwater history to make a point about Wylie. His whole post was devoted to Brownwood-Wylie discussion. It was a good point and relevant to this thread.

ccmom
08-25-2010, 11:09 AM
And it's hilarious to me how only district games matter. LOL Guess what people! If you get beat in pre-district, it wasn't really a loss. :rolleyes:

SOMEONE PLEASE show me how to quote those old posts. :devil:

LE Dad
08-25-2010, 11:12 AM
What's the title of the thread? Case closed. NO!!! Case closed...LOL:D

Rocket
08-25-2010, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by '84 Stang

Sweetwater used to be good. And yeah, you made it tough on us when we started scheduling you in 1995. But we were also rebuilding. 1997 was a great game. Other than that, your allegations of recruiting aren't accurate. If you were a kid growing up around Brownwood and you knew Gordon Wood was coaching there and you wanted a chance to win a State Championship, where would you go to school? Zephyr? Early? Winning breeds winning and people want to be a part of it. Sweetwater is in BFE so you really don't have to worry about it.

Wylie is in a city of 100,000. Much easier to recruit under the radar.

Bullaholic
08-25-2010, 11:19 AM

ccmom---

1. Find a quote in the closed thread you want to quote in another thread.

2. Hold down the left mouse button and highlight the text you want to quote. Right click, and choose "copy".

3. Make a new post in the thread in which you want to display the old quote. Choose "quote" from the menu, and then put your cursor in the blank "text to be quoted" field, right-click and choose "paste".

That should do it for you.

Hope you can find some precedents to hang Rocket with in "court"....:D

LE Dad
08-25-2010, 11:21 AM
... your allegations of recruiting aren't accurate. If you were a kid growing up around Brownwood and you knew Gordon Wood was coaching there and you wanted a chance to win a State Championship, where would you go to school?....

... Winning breeds winning and people want to be a part of it....

Wylie is in a city of 100,000. Much easier to recruit under the radar. OK so B'wood doesn't recruit because kids want to play for a winner, but Wylie, who last I checked was preeeetty solid might need to recruit under the radar.... Fantastic logic!!!:clap: :clap:

Eagle 1
08-25-2010, 11:24 AM

So what you are saying is, IF Gatesville beats you guys, then it's not really a loss?
Using that logic, then if you guys beat Gatesville, then it's not really a win. :)

Rocket
08-25-2010, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Eagle 1
So what you are saying is, IF Gatesville beats you guys, then it's not really a loss?
Using that logic, then if you guys beat Gatesville, then it's not really a win. :)

No...I am using the mindset ccmom and these Wylie people use. We have beaten Wylie twice in regular season over the last 4 years. They have beat us twice in district play. They say there's counts and ours don't. I say all games count, district or pre-district. Read slowly and carefully. I was being sarcastic. :rolleyes:

Rocket
08-25-2010, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by LE Dad
OK so B'wood doesn't recruit because kids want to play for a winner, but Wylie, who last I checked was preeeetty solid might need to recruit under the radar.... Fantastic logic!!!:clap: :clap:

Hey dimwit, apparently this thread is way over your head. I am referring to Brownwood of the 60's and 70's and Present Day Wylie. Go play somewhere else.

ccmom
No...I am using the mindset ccmom and these Wylie people use. We have beaten Wylie twice in regular season over the last 4 years. They have beat us twice in district play. They say there's counts and ours don't. I say all games count, district or pre-district. Read slowly and carefully. I was being sarcastic. :rolleyes:

Uh NO!!!

What I am saying is that by Rocket's twisted thinking, nondistrict games only count if Brownwood wins them. If they lose, they are meaningless. :rolleyes:

Rocket
ccmom---

1. Find a quote in the closed thread you want to quote in another thread.

2. Hold down the left mouse button and highlight the text you want to quote. Right click, and choose "copy".

3. Make a new post in the thread in which you want to display the old quote. Choose "quote" from the menu, and then put your cursor in the blank "text to be quoted" field, right-click and choose "paste".

That should do it for you.

Hope you can find some precedents to hang Rocket with in "court"....:D

And I will do the same... but make up the quote.

Rocket
08-25-2010, 11:40 AM
Uh NO!!!

What I am saying is that by Rocket's twisted thinking, nondistrict games only count if Brownwood wins them. If they lose, they are meaningless. :rolleyes:

OH NOOOO.... that is your logic. When talking about a series of games played against 2 teams, it doesn't matter if it was pre-district or district. You say only district matters. LOL

In the scheme of the overall season, a regular season loss doesn't affect the playoffs. That is true. but when playing a team and keeping count, it most certainly does count.

Ranger Mom
08-25-2010, 11:41 AM
Uh NO!!!

Exactly....I know there are plenty of quotes out there too!!

Rocket
08-25-2010, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Exactly....I know there are plenty of quotes out there too!!

Oh hush up, RM...

Ranger Mom
08-25-2010, 11:46 AM
Oh hush up, RM...

LOL!!! I can't quit laughing!!!

I can go back and quote the stuff, whether the thread is closed or not!!!:taunt: :taunt:

Rocket
08-25-2010, 11:49 AM
LOL!!! I can't quit laughing!!!

I can go back and quote the stuff, whether the thread is closed or not!!!:taunt: :taunt:

Well pin a rose on your nose.

I am sure ccmom is going to take my quotes out of context. But I will just make stuff up when I quote her. Either way, it's all good.

ccmom
08-25-2010, 11:51 AM
OH NOOOO.... that is your logic. When talking about a series of games played against 2 teams, it doesn't matter if it was pre-district or district. You say only district matters. LOL

In the scheme of the overall season, a regular season loss doesn't affect the playoffs. That is true. but when playing a team and keeping count, it most certainly does count.

Whatever...I'm not the one who talks out of both sides of my mouth. The series is 2-2.

Oh and thanks for the lesson on how wins and losses are counted. I was so confused before you shared your infinite football wisdom. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

ivchris
08-25-2010, 11:51 AM
Quote:Rocket

I wish I was a Wylie Bulldog.

Unquote:

LE Dad
08-25-2010, 11:52 AM
Hey dimwit, apparently this thread is way over your head. I am referring to Brownwood of the 60's and 70's and Present Day Wylie. Go play somewhere else. ... and the point is the same. If kids want to play for a winner why it it necessary for Wyile to recruit and not Brownwood.

I guess if you don't have an argument an insult will do:thinking:

hollywood
Originally posted by Looking4number8
I know a bunch of kids move out of Wylie but I always figured it was because of that nasty purple color... :D :D :D :clap:

Ranger Mom
Well pin a rose on your nose.

I am sure ccmom is going to take my quotes out of context. But I will just make stuff up when I quote her. Either way, it's all good.

I can't help but remember back to that first year when y'all dropped down and you hit this board HARD on realignment day with all your predictions......fast forward to that season's last game.....do you remember that???

How many quotes did you have waiting for you when you signed on????

THAT is what I am remembering....and we didn't have to "make stuff up"....it was all right there in your own words!!!!

ivchris
08-25-2010, 11:54 AM
I can't help but remember back to that first year when y'all dropped down and you hit this board HARD on realignment day with all your predictions......fast forward to that season's last game.....do you remember that???

THAT is what I am remembering....and we didn't have to "make stuff up"....it was all right there in your own words!!!!

I remember that like it was yesterday

injuredinmelee
08-25-2010, 11:55 AM
I find it funny that you spend so much time worrying about other teams. Is it ENVY ???

Rocket
08-25-2010, 12:19 PM

It was a fun year. Not boring like this board usually is..you buncha butt slappers.

If Brownwood wins it all this year, my point will be proven. 3A is much easier than 4A. And that was what all of my posts were getting at. So we will see...when that does happen, get ready.

Rocket
08-25-2010, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
I find it funny that you spend so much time worrying about other teams. Is it ENVY ???

Envy of making it to the SC game and getting your butt handed to you? not really. no.

Bullaholic
08-25-2010, 12:23 PM
It was a fun year. Not boring like this board usually is..you buncha butt slappers.

If Brownwood wins it all this year, my point will be proven. 3A is much easier than 4A. And that was what all of my posts were getting at. So we will see...when that does happen, get ready.

The board would be nothing without you, Rocket....:D

Rocket
08-25-2010, 12:39 PM
Whatever...I'm not the one who talks out of both sides of my mouth. The series is 2-2.

Oh and thanks for the lesson on how wins and losses are counted. I was so confused before you shared your infinite football wisdom. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

No problem... 2-2 it is. You were the one twisting my words to say your 2 losses didn't count.

2-2

And this year we make it 3-2, or probably 4-2.

Eagle 1
08-25-2010, 01:05 PM

And to think, IF Brownwood wins it all, it would have only taking 3 years to prove it.

Ranger Mom
08-25-2010, 01:18 PM
And to think, IF Brownwood wins it all, it would have only taking 3 years to prove it.

If they do win it all, I will be very proud of them. But......from reading the post from "way back when" you would have thought they were gonna win it that very first year!!!!

I personally don't remember anyone saying that 3A was harder than 4A...what I DO remember is saying 3A isn't the cakewalk that SOME of the Brownwood posters said it was going to be.....and as far as I can tell, it hasn't been a cakewalk for Brownwood!!!

LE Dad
08-25-2010, 01:29 PM
Ain't gonna happen. If B'wood gets out of Reg 1 one of the East Texas teams will take em out quickly.:D

NastySlot
08-25-2010, 01:39 PM
they re Good.....maybe not Great but yes they are Good year in year out in almost all sports.

not trying to stir anything....I like Brownwood ....but in Brownwood's hey day......how did the other sports rate?

Rocket
08-25-2010, 01:41 PM
If they do win it all, I will be very proud of them. But......from reading the post from "way back when" you would have thought they were gonna win it that very first year!!!!

I personally don't remember anyone saying that 3A was harder than 4A...what I DO remember is saying 3A isn't the cakewalk that SOME of the Brownwood posters said it was going to be.....and as far as I can tell, it hasn't been a cakewalk for Brownwood!!!

I would think 3A is a cakewalk if it only takes us 3 years to win it all as opposed to 28 years in 4A without winning one. LOL

Rocket
08-25-2010, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot
they re Good.....maybe not Great but yes they are Good year in year out in almost all sports.

not trying to stir anything....I like Brownwood ....but in Brownwood's hey day......how did the other sports rate?

Actually, football was and still is king at Brownwood. After moving down to 3A, we do quite well in all sports. Mostly Baseball and track. Basketball is on the rise.

NastySlot
08-25-2010, 01:46 PM
I would think 3A is a cakewalk if it only takes us 3 years to win it all as opposed to 28 years in 4A without winning one. LOL

it ain't been a cake walk......sounds like it's been brutal....brownwood beat up each week (physically) with players injured....and sometimes in reading your post.....little mistakes have turned the tide in some of the lions games.

hey I like brownwood....I respect the tradition regrardless of when the last title came.... so not trying stir up anything.

ivchris
08-25-2010, 01:46 PM
Actually, football was and still is king at Brownwood. After moving down to 3A, we do quite well in all sports. Mostly Baseball and track. Basketball is on the rise.

After the last 2 years, all you can do is move up. If you were any worse they'd probably kill the sports programs out of mercy. :D :D :D

LE Dad
08-25-2010, 01:52 PM
Actually, football was and still is king at Brownwood. After moving down to 3A, we do quite well in all sports. Mostly Baseball and track. Basketball is on the rise. Let's see what were your words to start this thread.:thinking:

"If you consider 3 rounds deep successful" or something to that effect.:D

Rocket
08-25-2010, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot
it ain't been a cake walk......sounds like it's been brutal....brownwood beat up each week (physically) with players injured....and sometimes in reading your post.....little mistakes have turned the tide in some of the lions games.

hey I like brownwood....I respect the tradition regrardless of when the last title came.... so not trying stir up anything.

In 2008, Vacarro moved to Early. This set a chain reaction through our defense.Players having to shift to fill the holes. we never recovered from it. Our defense was horrible. We couldn't stop anybody. In my 26 years of watching Brownwood football, I have never seen us in that situation on defense. Our offense was Top 3 in the State in All Classifications, our defense was the worst.

In 2009, we lost our QB Brown at Stephenville. McShan filled in nicely, being a converted WR that had never played a down at QB in his life. We didn't even discover McShan til the 3rd Qtr of the Wylie game after our backup went out with a knee injury. I am not complaining at all about how we did last season. We beat Graham after we got our QB situation taken care of. McShan was told not to run with the ball to avoid injury. So all he was allowed to do is hand the ball off and pass. 10-3 is a good season and it was a blast.

If we can remain healthy in 2010, look out.

Ranger Mom
08-25-2010, 02:09 PM

There is that "both sides of your mouth" thing again!!

Back in 2008, after y'all went 3-7, I asked you point blank to admit that 3A wasn't the cakewalk you expected it be.....and you admitted it!!

It is for these reasons that I can appreciate your posts for what they are and not take you seriously!!!!!;)

Rocket
08-25-2010, 02:10 PM
There is that "both sides of your mouth" thing again!!

Back in 2008, after y'all went 3-7, I asked you point blank to admit that 3A wasn't the cakewalk you expected it be.....and you admitted it!!

It is for these reasons that I can appreciate your posts for what they are and not take you seriously!!!!!;)

Shhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

Rocket
08-25-2010, 02:12 PM
After the last 2 years, all you can do is move up. If you were any worse they'd probably kill the sports programs out of mercy. :D :D :D

After your AWESOME Wylie team got their butt handed to them in the SC game, how can you be optimistic about this season? LOL

ivchris
Good luck

ccmom
No problem... 2-2 it is. You were the one twisting my words to say your 2 losses didn't count.

2-2

And this year we make it 3-2, or probably 4-2.

Yeah...that's exactly what I said....:rolleyes:

ivchris
08-25-2010, 02:13 PM
After your AWESOME Wylie team got their butt handed to them in the SC game, how can you be optimistic about this season? LOL

We'll just have to wait until November. If Wylie only wins one game and it's Brownwood, then the whole season is saved. :D

garciap77
08-25-2010, 02:35 PM
A spanking in their own home with that intimidating stadium entrance and all. :D :rolleyes:

I have to admit it was intimidating until ROCKET showed up, then I couldn't stop LMOF!:D ;)

P.S. That must have been the longest drive back to HOBBS!!!:D :)

Should I post the score again?????????????

nm

jason
08-25-2010, 02:39 PM
After your AWESOME Wylie team got their butt handed to them in the SC game, how can you be optimistic about this season? LOL the same way yall look forward to this season after not making it out of november...

garciap77
08-25-2010, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
This is some fun reading:D

I wish ROCKET could learn something from Gilmer posters! They win year in year out, but don't come in here claiming the state title at the start of the season. And, then win they win the state title, they don't overly brag about how good they are. When you are good like Gilmer, you just let the titles speak for themselves!:clap: :clap: :clap:

waterboy
08-25-2010, 02:45 PM
I wish ROCKET could learn something from Gilmer posters! They win year in year out, but don't come in here claiming the state title at the start of the season. And, then win they win the state title, they don't overly brag about how good they are. When you are good like Gilmer, you just let the titles speak for themselves!:clap: :clap: :clap:
:clap: :clap: It's all about humility. We've been beaten in the championship game, too! Absolutely nothing is a given. It has to be earned on the field.

RMAC
08-25-2010, 02:57 PM
Love how rocket totally ignored my reply from last night.

garciap77
08-25-2010, 02:59 PM
Uh NO!!!

Wait and don't forget the scrimmages’ against 5A schools they only count when Brownwood wins! I think that is the year Brownwood went 3-7! Verda Señor Tres y Siete?:D

Pawdaddy
08-25-2010, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
:clap: :clap: It's all about humility. We've been beaten in the championship game, too! Absolutely nothing is a given. It has to be earned on the field.

That is correct, Waterboy. And if I remember correctly, we were beaten by some pretty good teams in the playoffs several other years, other than the SC. Those teams just went on the win the SC themselves (except for Canton.)

garciap77
08-25-2010, 03:13 PM
Quote:Rocket

I wish I was a Wylie Bulldog.

Unquote:

:clap: :clap: :clap:

garciap77
08-25-2010, 03:23 PM

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/TheRocketTheory.jpg

ivchris
08-25-2010, 03:26 PM
I laugh every time I see that graph.

LE Dad
08-25-2010, 04:25 PM
I wish ROCKET could learn something from Gilmer posters! They win year in year out, but don't come in here claiming the state title at the start of the season. And, then win they win the state title, they don't overly brag about how good they are. When you are good like Gilmer, you just let the titles speak for themselves!:clap: :clap: :clap: I think Rocket spent too many childhood Saturday mornings agonizing over B'wood losses...

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad340/LEDad_01/Rocket/dejected.jpg

...and now he wants to spread his bitterness.:thinking:

LE Dad
08-25-2010, 04:42 PM
I have to admit it was intimidating until ROCKET showed up, then I couldn't stop LMOF!:D ;)

nm
Hey Rockee did it look a little something like this:confused: :confused:

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad340/LEDad_01/Rocket/Dumbass-3.jpg

injuredinmelee
08-25-2010, 05:14 PM

didnt yall have a basketball game that day?

Rocket
08-25-2010, 05:50 PM
didnt yall have a basketball game that day?

Ooooooooooh good one... Lol

Y'all got whooped. Yup. I would have much rather been watching my team play basketball than watching my team get whipped like that in the Finals.

Rocket
08-25-2010, 05:58 PM
Love how rocket totally ignored my reply from last night.

When you answer hollywood's reply to you I will chime in. What he said basically shut you up, and what he said was going to be my response as well.

NateDawg39
08-25-2010, 06:04 PM
When you answer hollywood's reply to you I will chime in. What he said basically shut you up, and what he said was going to be my response as well. Didn't football teams have to wear leather helmets back in Brownwoods glory days? Im to young and ignorant to remember much about them.

Rocket
08-25-2010, 06:05 PM

nm

LMOF? Laughing My .... Sorry garcia..as usual...when you try to form sentences, I am lost.

Rocket
08-25-2010, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by NateDawg39
Didn't football teams have to wear leather helmets back in Brownwoods glory days? Im to young and ignorant to remember much about them.

Wow. We have a comedian on our hands.. not.

squid
08-25-2010, 06:36 PM
Rocket reminds me of alot of Aggies I know. Brownwood, like the Aggies, used to be good, USED TO BE. But they still hold on to that, like it was last year. Aggies are fond of saying they'd rather have been home than to have lost in the MNC game last year too....

Is it the maroon?

Rocket
08-25-2010, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by squid
Rocket reminds me of alot of Aggies I know. Brownwood, like the Aggies, used to be good, USED TO BE. But they still hold on to that, like it was last year. Aggies are fond of saying they'd rather have been home than to have lost in the MNC game last year too....

Is it the maroon?

Used to be ranked #1?

squid
08-25-2010, 06:44 PM
you're way too literal, just relax and let the season play out. That way, we wont have as much to make fun of you about....

Rocket
08-25-2010, 06:45 PM
you're way too literal, just relax and let the season play out. That way, we wont have as much to make fun of you about....

See my latest post... Rocket's Rules of Downlow Smack Talk, Rule #6... LOL You lighten up.

squid
08-25-2010, 06:47 PM
thanks, I'll add that to the list.

garciap77
08-25-2010, 06:51 PM
In 2008, Vacarro moved to Early. This set a chain reaction through our defense.Players having to shift to fill the holes. we never recovered from it. Our defense was horrible. We couldn't stop anybody. In my 26 years of watching Brownwood football, I have never seen us in that situation on defense. Our offense was Top 3 in the State in All Classifications, our defense was the worst.

In 2009, we lost our QB Brown at Stephenville. McShan filled in nicely, being a converted WR that had never played a down at QB in his life. We didn't even discover McShan til the 3rd Qtr of the Wylie game after our backup went out with a knee injury. I am not complaining at all about how we did last season. We beat Graham after we got our QB situation taken care of. McShan was told not to run with the ball to avoid injury. So all he was allowed to do is hand the ball off and pass. 10-3 is a good season and it was a blast.

If we can remain healthy in 2010, look out.

So, just one guy on defense took you down??? WOW

Wait!!! Didn't you stop 5A San Angelo (In a Scrimmage)!:D

garciap77
08-25-2010, 06:55 PM

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/DSC_8629posting-1.jpg
That why!!!!!!!!!! LOL It happended!!!hahahahaha

LE Dad
08-25-2010, 07:06 PM
That why!!!!!!!!!! LOL It happended!!!hahahahaha :eek: :eek: :eek:

But that one doesn't count...lol:D

garciap77
08-25-2010, 07:12 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

But that one doesn't count...lol:D

Of course it counts; it’s now in the history books! And the big dogs were called off after the first QTR! LOL

Rocket
08-25-2010, 07:16 PM
Who won our district last year?

garciap77
08-25-2010, 07:18 PM
Who won our district last year?

Who did not make it to the SC last year????

Rocket
08-25-2010, 07:36 PM

Graham. Who was better? Wylie or Graham?

Making it? Lol good job. You made it. Then what happened?

steerz2010
08-25-2010, 07:39 PM
we made it! :D
.. so i guess that leaves Brownwood..
:eek: :eek: :p

garciap77
08-25-2010, 07:43 PM
Graham. Who was better? Wylie or Graham?

Making it? Lol good job. You made it. Then what happened?

We made it! You didn't! That’s all that counts!!!!LOL

garciap77
08-25-2010, 09:00 PM

Sorry I did not have time to show you how to quote, but I found this one and thought this poster made an excellent prediction! LOL

marler1972
Junior Varsity

Member #: 7125

Originally posted by marler1972
You do not handle me in Fantasy I had a bad year and still got 3rd. Brownwood may not even make it out of district. Remember in 3a they do not let 4 team in the playoffs. LOL

LOL

Rocket
08-25-2010, 09:15 PM
We made it! You didn't! That’s all that counts!!!!LOL

So making it is all your about? Making it and then getting destroyed? If that makes ya happy... :rolleyes:

garciap77
08-25-2010, 09:27 PM
So making it is all your about? Making it and then getting destroyed? If that makes ya happy... :rolleyes:

LOL

LH Panther Mom
08-25-2010, 09:29 PM
I would have much rather been watching my team play basketball than watching my team get whipped like that in the Finals.
Really? Are you absolutely sure about that? :rolleyes:

LH Panther Mom
08-25-2010, 09:30 PM
Well, that's certainly no fun! :p

Rocket
08-25-2010, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Really? Are you absolutely sure about that? :rolleyes:

Positive. I actually saw the Wylie-Gilmer game on webcast and I couldn't watch any more after the 2nd Qtr.

So you would like to watch your team get destroyed in the finals? LOL Get your bucket list going...

LH Panther Mom
08-25-2010, 09:34 PM
Positive.
I guess that's a big difference in you and most of the rest of us. We'd much rather be watching our team PLAY. I didn't have a Varsity player last season, but I would've been HAPPY to watch those kids make the playoffs, even if it meant them losing the first round! I guess it's much better to lose a close one earlier on with a bunch of excuses than to be there at the end and get beat by a much better team. :rolleyes:

Rocket
08-25-2010, 09:35 PM
I guess that's a big difference in you and most of the rest of us. We'd much rather be watching our team PLAY. I didn't have a Varsity player last season, but I would've been HAPPY to watch those kids make the playoffs, even if it meant them losing the first round! I guess it's much better to lose a close one earlier on with a bunch of excuses than to be there at the end and get beat by a much better team. :rolleyes:

Did you enjoy that butt whoopin' in Brownwood last year?

garciap77
08-25-2010, 09:38 PM
Positive. I actually saw the Wylie-Gilmer game on webcast and I couldn't watch any more after the 2nd Qtr.

So you would like to watch your team get destroyed in the finals? LOL Get your bucket list going...

http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/TV_and_Movies/bob-eponge-.gif

garciap77
08-25-2010, 09:39 PM

I was just about to ask you the same question?

;)

Rocket
08-25-2010, 09:39 PM

I have watched many Brownwood games and logged many miles just to watch them play at home over the last 10 years. Win or lose. But to say I would like them to make it to state and watch them get destroyed? LOL It would be exciting to know you are going to play for state, but to get destroyed? Not fun. At least make it a game.

LH Panther Mom
08-25-2010, 09:42 PM
No, I didn't, but I was still there supporting those kids and I supported them each and every week even when lots of their own parents wouldn't stand up and cheer for them! And I still would've rather been there watching them, even in a butt whoopin', than making excuses like I've seen.

Pendragon13
08-25-2010, 09:42 PM
neither does winning one in '05 or '04... none of those kids are still currently playing. NEXT! Case Keenum?:D

garciap77
08-25-2010, 09:46 PM
I have watched many Brownwood games and logged many miles just to watch them play at home over the last 10 years. Win or lose. But to say I would like them to make it to state and watch them get destroyed? LOL It would be exciting to know you are going to play for state, but to get destroyed? Not fun. At least make it a game.

Yeah!!! I still cannot believe your drove down to Brownwood from another state just to watch your team get a butt whooping last year at your house! LOL Good thing the big dogs got pull off after the 1st QTR!LOL

garciap77
08-25-2010, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Pendragon13
Case Keenum?:D

He(ROCKET) is not in touch!!!! I don't think they even play football in Hobbs anymore! It's basketball year around!HaHaHa

BEAST
08-25-2010, 09:50 PM
Yeah!!! I still cannot believe your drove down to Brownwood from another state just to watch your team get a butt whooping last year at your house! LOL Good thing the big dogs got pull off after the 1st QTR!LOL

Enjoy it now Garcia. We will beat Wylie and yalls refs at your house in a few short months. Get ready.

BEAST

garciap77
08-25-2010, 10:00 PM
neither does winning one in '05 or '04... none of those kids are still currently playing. NEXT!
Earth to ROCKET!!!!!!

Keenum in spotlight again
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/Image_0-1.jpg

PASSING RECORD, HEISMAN IN QB’S SIGHTS IN 2010

GREG JAKLEWICZ

jaklewiczg@reporternews.com / 325-676-6736

Heisman Trophy talk again in_cludes an athlete with Big Coun_try roots.

Last year, University of Texas senior Colt McCoy, the 2008 run_ner- up to Oklahoma’s Sam Brad_ford, was in the mix. McCoy, the former Jim Ned standout, eventu_ally finished third in 2009.

This year, it’s Case Keenum, the former Wylie quarterback who has back-to-back 5,000-yard pass_ing seasons for the University of Houston. After throwing for 5,671 yards — 1,400 ahead of the No. 2 quarterback, Troy’s Levi Brown (4,254) — as a junior, Keenum has a shot of being the first college quarterback to record a 6,000_yard season.

If he throws for just over 4,000 yards, he will became the Divi_sion I career leader. Keenum has 12,950 yards in three seasons, just shy of the 12,964 yards accumulat_ed by former Stephenville stand_out and expected Philadelphia Eagles starter Kevin Kolb had for the Cougars from 2003-2006.

Hawaii’s Timmy Chang totaled 17,072 yards from 2000-2004.

According to Sports Illus_trated, which named him its top offensive player for the upcom_ing season, “(Keenum) is the no-brainer choice for stat-loving Heisman voters.”

With Keenum, last year’s Confer_ence USA most valuable player, at the helm, Houston has re-emerged as a force. The Cougars were 10-4 last season and cracked The As_sociated Press top-25 for the first time since 1991. The Cougars were 8-5 in 2009, winning the Armed Forces Bowl in Fort Worth.

“There’s no secret, for us to be successful he’s got to play at a high level, and I think our team likes that,” UH coach Kevin Sumlin told The Associated Press.

So do Cougars fans — the long_time faithful and those new to cheering a top-25 team. In late July, the Houston Astros invited Keenum to throw out the first pitch at a home game.

“It was awesome but I was a lit_tle bit out of my element,” Keenum said. “It was more like a spiral.”

But it was a strike. And Keenum, who led Division I with 405 pass_ing yards per game, has thrown plenty of those the past three seasons. He completed 70.3 per_cent of his passes in 2009, and his touchdown-to-interception ratio is 3-to-1 for his career.

Despite being named to numer_ous quarterback and all-America watch lists and included in pre_season lists of Heisman candidates who hope to unseat 2009 winner Mark Ingram of Alabama, Keenum is about his team and winding up his college days in Houston.

“It has been great. I’ve learned that if you’re not from Houston or Dallas, you’re from the coun_try. Even if you come from a city with over 100,000-plus people,” he said. “But I’ve embraced the label of country boy. I’ve liked the city life, and people here have embraced Houston Cougars.

“You always want to say you left a place better than you found it,” he said. “I want to put the Univer_sity of Houston back on the map, making it a big-time program.”

Keenum reflected on where he’s come from — directing Wylie, a Class 3A school, to the 2004 state championship and throwing for almost 6,800 career yards while posting a 31-11 record as a starter.

“It takes time to adjust playing at the next level,” he said. “But I had a great foundation under me. I learned and grew tremendously as an ath_lete from seventh grade through my senior year. I was blessed to have great coaches. That’s a huge part of who I am today.”

In a city that offers more attrac_tions than college football, the Cougars have started drawing fans. Before a sellout crowd and an ESPN Saturday night audience last year, Houston beat Texas Tech on Keenum’s short touch_down run with under a minute to play to cap a 95-yard drive.

Please see KEENUM, 140G

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THOMAS METTHE/REPORTER-NEWS

Houston quarterback Case Keenum is 4,000 passing yards away from being Division I’s all-time leader.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
See KEENUM on Page G140

KEENUM from 138G

Keenum said he has approached his final season with a goal of moving the Cougars toward a C-USA championship and perhaps a BCS bowl berth.

Sumlin said his team is in capable hands with Keenum on the field “He’s a great leader, a leader by example. He’s a player-coach on the field,” Sumlin said at July’s Texas High School Coaches Association coaching school. “He’s gotten more and more leeway and leverage in our offense as he’s evolved.

“His ability to be a leader and really put us in that situation where our team believes, no matter what the situation is, we have a chance to win, as a coach, that’s really a good thing.”

Keenum said the task of improving never stops.

“I don’t think I’m perfect,” Keenum said. He was worked this summer with Houston baseball coaches to improve his arm strength. He said he’s in the best shape as an athlete.

“There’s no one harder on Case Keenum than Case Keenum,” Sumlin said.

Houston is picked as C-USA West winner while Central Florida, which beat Houston last year, is the projected East champ. The Cougars lost the 2009 league title game 38-32 at East Carolina, then were whipped 47-20 by Air Force in the Armed Forces Bowl. Keenum threw nine picks in those seasonending losses. “Any good quarterback has to have amnesia,” he said of moving on after a poor showing. “You have to forget the last play or the last game. But then, you’re only as good as your last game. Yeah, that last game left a bad taste in our mouths. It has been good motivation for us.”

The Cougars have changed offensive coordinators — Dana Holgorsen moved on to Oklahoma State — and have addressed a defense that gave up at least 30 points seven times in 2009. Keenum noted the fresh start that goes with returning nine players — including three 1,000-yard receivers — on offense.

“This is a different team,” he said. “As a quarterback, you show you support (the defense). You encourage each other and feed off each other. I can tell they’ve gotten tremendously better from last year.

“It’s not just the offense, or the defense. It’s the whole Houston Cougars football team this year.”

Sumlin agreed.

“It doesn’t always fall on one person,” he said. “We have a lot more continuity in who he’s playing with.”

Still, the face of the team is Keenum, last year’s Division I total offense leader with almost 417 yards per game. He threw for 500 yards four times, 400 yards seven times and 300 yards in 12 of 14 games.

Awards and records likely will come his way if those types of games are duplicated.

“An individual award is a team award,” Keenum said. As for the watch lists, he said, “Those are just preseason awards. The most important ones come at the end of the year.”

Sumlin said Keenum can handle an opponent’s attention on the field, and the media spotlight off it.

“He’s had that since he’s been here,” Sumlin said.

Houston QB Case Keenum (7) celebrates with teammate Jordan Shoemaker after a first down conversion during the fourth quarter of Houston’s 29-28 win over Texas Tech on Sept. 27, 2009, at Robertson Stadium in Houston.

Pendragon13
08-25-2010, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by BEAST
Enjoy it now Garcia. We will beat Wylie and yalls refs at your house in a few short months. Get ready.

BEAST You can't beat refs..it just isn't possible. As long as their purple undershirts don't show through their zebra suits, and wads of cash don't fly out when they yank the flag we'll be ok.:)

garciap77
08-25-2010, 10:01 PM

BEAST

LOL

Rocket
08-25-2010, 10:14 PM
Earth to ROCKET!!!!!!

Keenum in spotlight again
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/Image_0-1.jpg

PASSING RECORD, HEISMAN IN QB’S SIGHTS IN 2010

GREG JAKLEWICZ

jaklewiczg@reporternews.com / 325-676-6736

Heisman Trophy talk again in_cludes an athlete with Big Coun_try roots.

Last year, University of Texas senior Colt McCoy, the 2008 run_ner- up to Oklahoma’s Sam Brad_ford, was in the mix. McCoy, the former Jim Ned standout, eventu_ally finished third in 2009.

This year, it’s Case Keenum, the former Wylie quarterback who has back-to-back 5,000-yard pass_ing seasons for the University of Houston. After throwing for 5,671 yards — 1,400 ahead of the No. 2 quarterback, Troy’s Levi Brown (4,254) — as a junior, Keenum has a shot of being the first college quarterback to record a 6,000_yard season.

If he throws for just over 4,000 yards, he will became the Divi_sion I career leader. Keenum has 12,950 yards in three seasons, just shy of the 12,964 yards accumulat_ed by former Stephenville stand_out and expected Philadelphia Eagles starter Kevin Kolb had for the Cougars from 2003-2006.

Hawaii’s Timmy Chang totaled 17,072 yards from 2000-2004.

According to Sports Illus_trated, which named him its top offensive player for the upcom_ing season, “(Keenum) is the no-brainer choice for stat-loving Heisman voters.”

With Keenum, last year’s Confer_ence USA most valuable player, at the helm, Houston has re-emerged as a force. The Cougars were 10-4 last season and cracked The As_sociated Press top-25 for the first time since 1991. The Cougars were 8-5 in 2009, winning the Armed Forces Bowl in Fort Worth.

“There’s no secret, for us to be successful he’s got to play at a high level, and I think our team likes that,” UH coach Kevin Sumlin told The Associated Press.

So do Cougars fans — the long_time faithful and those new to cheering a top-25 team. In late July, the Houston Astros invited Keenum to throw out the first pitch at a home game.

“It was awesome but I was a lit_tle bit out of my element,” Keenum said. “It was more like a spiral.”

But it was a strike. And Keenum, who led Division I with 405 pass_ing yards per game, has thrown plenty of those the past three seasons. He completed 70.3 per_cent of his passes in 2009, and his touchdown-to-interception ratio is 3-to-1 for his career.

Despite being named to numer_ous quarterback and all-America watch lists and included in pre_season lists of Heisman candidates who hope to unseat 2009 winner Mark Ingram of Alabama, Keenum is about his team and winding up his college days in Houston.

“It has been great. I’ve learned that if you’re not from Houston or Dallas, you’re from the coun_try. Even if you come from a city with over 100,000-plus people,” he said. “But I’ve embraced the label of country boy. I’ve liked the city life, and people here have embraced Houston Cougars.

“You always want to say you left a place better than you found it,” he said. “I want to put the Univer_sity of Houston back on the map, making it a big-time program.”

Keenum reflected on where he’s come from — directing Wylie, a Class 3A school, to the 2004 state championship and throwing for almost 6,800 career yards while posting a 31-11 record as a starter.

“It takes time to adjust playing at the next level,” he said. “But I had a great foundation under me. I learned and grew tremendously as an ath_lete from seventh grade through my senior year. I was blessed to have great coaches. That’s a huge part of who I am today.”

In a city that offers more attrac_tions than college football, the Cougars have started drawing fans. Before a sellout crowd and an ESPN Saturday night audience last year, Houston beat Texas Tech on Keenum’s short touch_down run with under a minute to play to cap a 95-yard drive.

Please see KEENUM, 140G

Houston quarterback Case Keenum is 4,000 passing yards away from being Division I’s all-time leader.

See KEENUM on Page G140

KEENUM from 138G

Keenum said he has approached his final season with a goal of moving the Cougars toward a C-USA championship and perhaps a BCS bowl berth.

Sumlin said his team is in capable hands with Keenum on the field “He’s a great leader, a leader by example. He’s a player-coach on the field,” Sumlin said at July’s Texas High School Coaches Association coaching school. “He’s gotten more and more leeway and leverage in our offense as he’s evolved.

“His ability to be a leader and really put us in that situation where our team believes, no matter what the situation is, we have a chance to win, as a coach, that’s really a good thing.”

Keenum said the task of improving never stops.

“I don’t think I’m perfect,” Keenum said. He was worked this summer with Houston baseball coaches to improve his arm strength. He said he’s in the best shape as an athlete.

“There’s no one harder on Case Keenum than Case Keenum,” Sumlin said.

Houston is picked as C-USA West winner while Central Florida, which beat Houston last year, is the projected East champ. The Cougars lost the 2009 league title game 38-32 at East Carolina, then were whipped 47-20 by Air Force in the Armed Forces Bowl. Keenum threw nine picks in those seasonending losses. “Any good quarterback has to have amnesia,” he said of moving on after a poor showing. “You have to forget the last play or the last game. But then, you’re only as good as your last game. Yeah, that last game left a bad taste in our mouths. It has been good motivation for us.”

The Cougars have changed offensive coordinators — Dana Holgorsen moved on to Oklahoma State — and have addressed a defense that gave up at least 30 points seven times in 2009. Keenum noted the fresh start that goes with returning nine players — including three 1,000-yard receivers — on offense.

“This is a different team,” he said. “As a quarterback, you show you support (the defense). You encourage each other and feed off each other. I can tell they’ve gotten tremendously better from last year.

“It’s not just the offense, or the defense. It’s the whole Houston Cougars football team this year.”

Sumlin agreed.

“It doesn’t always fall on one person,” he said. “We have a lot more continuity in who he’s playing with.”

Still, the face of the team is Keenum, last year’s Division I total offense leader with almost 417 yards per game. He threw for 500 yards four times, 400 yards seven times and 300 yards in 12 of 14 games.

Awards and records likely will come his way if those types of games are duplicated.

“An individual award is a team award,” Keenum said. As for the watch lists, he said, “Those are just preseason awards. The most important ones come at the end of the year.”

Sumlin said Keenum can handle an opponent’s attention on the field, and the media spotlight off it.

“He’s had that since he’s been here,” Sumlin said.

Houston QB Case Keenum (7) celebrates with teammate Jordan Shoemaker after a first down conversion during the fourth quarter of Houston’s 29-28 win over Texas Tech on Sept. 27, 2009, at Robertson Stadium in Houston.

Houston? is that a high school? He lived in Brownwood for a few years. That is the only reason he is any good.

Rocket
08-25-2010, 10:17 PM
No, I didn't, but I was still there supporting those kids and I supported them each and every week even when lots of their own parents wouldn't stand up and cheer for them! And I still would've rather been there watching them, even in a butt whoopin', than making excuses like I've seen.

Just be thankful our starting QB and Shipley was out or it would have got brutally gross. Shipley knows your offense and our defense knew every key to every play.

NateDawg39
08-25-2010, 11:16 PM
Im bored

bowleghorses
08-25-2010, 11:24 PM
They must have just learned all this lately.:D

bowleghorses
08-25-2010, 11:25 PM
Just be thankful our starting QB and Shipley was out or it would have got brutally gross. Shipley knows your offense and our defense knew every key to every play.

They must have learned all this just lately.:D

NateDawg39
08-25-2010, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by bowleghorses
They must have learned all this just lately.:D It was a summer project

DaHop72
08-25-2010, 11:38 PM
What about the year before? You won because a ref blew a call.

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff239/DaHop72/th_BWD-Graham-1.jpg (http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/ff239/DaHop72/?action=view&current=BWD-Graham-1.flv)

:thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

bowleghorses
08-25-2010, 11:38 PM
If AW doesn't know what Brownwood will do, here is a hint.

:redxpoke: SHIPLEY:redxpoke:

orange machine
08-26-2010, 05:04 AM
I wonder if ole Bob will hang around after this season, I have a feeling a coaching change is coming. It appears if Brownwood is going to win a SC they better get it this year.

Snydertigersrul
08-26-2010, 05:31 AM
WYLIE IS OVERRATED

injuredinmelee
08-26-2010, 05:43 AM

BEAST
wow already built in his excuse for the predicted loss.

Snydertigersrul
08-26-2010, 05:46 AM
Wylie better beat Big Spring or they will stay home from the playoffs. They will LOSE to SNYDER AND BROWNWOOD

injuredinmelee
08-26-2010, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by Snydertigersrul
Wylie better beat Big Spring or they will stay home from the playoffs. They will LOSE to SNYDER AND BROWNWOOD
great we now have the other member of Laurel/Hardy here adding his homer opinion...

garciap77
08-26-2010, 08:01 AM
Houston? is that a high school? He lived in Brownwood for a few years. That is the only reason he is any good.

Gordon Lenear Wood lived in Wylie and graduate from Wylie High School! That's the only reason Brownwood won all those state titles! Without him you guys have done nothing in either 4A or 3A!!!! LOL

P.S. You might want to try 2A!!!!LOL

garciap77
08-26-2010, 08:04 AM
WYLIE IS OVERRATED

Snyder SUCKS!!!!!:D

;)

Sorry HOP!!!:D

garciap77
08-26-2010, 08:05 AM

Snyder SUCKS!!!!!!!!!:D

BuckeyeNut
08-26-2010, 08:10 AM
Snyder SUCKS!!!!!!!!!:D

Just speaking on the one game we have played yall were no were close to the level you need to be to win.

Txbroadcaster
08-26-2010, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by orange machine
I wonder if ole Bob will hang around after this season, I have a feeling a coaching change is coming. It appears if Brownwood is going to win a SC they better get it this year.

He left a 5A program so unless it is a select few places I dont see him leaving

LE Dad
08-26-2010, 08:19 AM
[i]Originally posted by garciap77 [i]

P.S. You might want to try 2A!!!!LOL [/B] Nope D'field would own them... Maybe a solid 1A though!:thinking: :p

hollywood
08-26-2010, 08:39 AM
:sleeping:

Ranger Mom
08-26-2010, 08:40 AM
I would have much rather been watching my team play basketball than watching my team get whipped like that in the Finals.

I just don't believe that for one second!!!

Our one and only time we made it to state was AWESOME....and we didn't win, but we were there with Bandera and no one else was!!!

You are just being silly now!!!!!

hollywood
08-26-2010, 08:42 AM
It'll all be proven out on the turf soon enough!

We'll see in a about 8 1/2 days if Wylie is REALLY that good. LOL

Bullaholic
08-26-2010, 08:47 AM
Perhaps I bragged on this thread way too early....:D

Black_Magic
08-26-2010, 08:56 AM

You are just being silly now!!!!! when has he not been silly?

Ranger Mom
08-26-2010, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
when has he not been silly?

You DO have a point there!! :thinking:

LE Dad
08-26-2010, 09:00 AM
http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad340/LEDad_01/Decorated%20images/P9180119.jpg

...and you thought he came up with them all by himself!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

pero chato
08-26-2010, 09:45 AM

To paraphrase: "'Tis better to have played in a state championship game and lost, than to have never played at all"....well at least in the last few decades...
OK, back to the nonsense!

LE Dad
08-26-2010, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by pero chato
To paraphrase: "'Tis better to have played in a state championship game and lost, than to have never played at all"....well at least in the last few decades...
OK, back to the nonsense! lol, if you don't play in it you don't have a chnce to win. If you do play in it there is a chance you will lose.:thinking: :D

Rocket
08-26-2010, 10:16 AM
OK, back to the nonsense!

Yeah, because WINNING 7 of them is enough for 100 years...

Rocket
08-26-2010, 10:18 AM
wow already built in his excuse for the predicted loss.

You'll see soon what homer refs can do. Well, I take that back, Stephenville won't need them to whip Wylie. LOL

RMAC
08-26-2010, 11:28 AM
When you answer hollywood's reply to you I will chime in. What he said basically shut you up, and what he said was going to be my response as well.
I know you don't like to think for yourself outside of brownwood is the greatest program ever but listen: his post didn't say anything to refute my comments. Just use some simple logic; there are at least 2 times as many teams playing now, not just in the playoffs, but in 3A in general. You've got at least 2 times as many kids playing ball now and thus, wait for it,'you have 2 times as many talened kids playing and henceforth, you are goin to have moresolid teams of a high caliber to compete against nap the argument that the playlets are watered down is bs since you have the same ratio of good teams this as you did then, if not more

waterboy
08-26-2010, 11:33 AM
AND.....now you have teams that get second or third in one district that could've been district champions in a lot of other districts. It all balances out, especially when you consider that the ones that wouldn't have made the playoffs in another district will get weeded out eventually once the playoffs begin.

BEAST
08-26-2010, 11:40 AM
I know you don't like to think for yourself outside of brownwood is the greatest program ever but listen: his post didn't say anything to refute my comments. Just use some simple logic; there are at least 2 times as many teams playing now, not just in the playoffs, but in 3A in general. You've got at least 2 times as many kids playing ball now and thus, wait for it,'you have 2 times as many talened kids playing and henceforth, you are goin to have moresolid teams of a high caliber to compete against nap the argument that the playlets are watered down is bs since you have the same ratio of good teams this as you did then, if not more

Ok, think for a second. Its all relative. If we have 2 times as many everything now, that means they had half as many then. Since they only had 1 team making the playoffs then, it WAS harder to get in. I know of 2 times Brownwood stayed home with 9-1 records. How often do you see that now? Same thing happened to Breckenridge a time or two. We were the only team to beat them so they had to stay home. Basically, if you lost 1 district game back then, you needed help to make the playoffs. If you lose 1 district game or even 2 now, you still control you own destiny.

BEAST

LE Dad
08-26-2010, 11:51 AM
AND.....now you have teams that get second or third in one district that could've been district champions in a lot of other districts. It all balances out, especially when you consider that the ones that wouldn't have made the playoffs in another district will get weeded out eventually once the playoffs begin. :clap: :clap: Exactly, the 06 Buckeye team was probably the toughest challenge that LE faced that year, other than our own district. The fourth place team here is as good as alot of firsts elsewhere.

nobogey72
08-26-2010, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Troybuilt
Matt was told that years ago. He considered moving but very few kids can make that decision at that age.

So his parents let him "at that age" make the decision? Doubt that.

garciap77
08-26-2010, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Black Flag
Just speaking on the one game we have played yall were no were close to the level you need to be to win.

You are correct, but we did play you one other time and we did better then!

jason
08-26-2010, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by hollywood
It'll all be proven out on the turf soon enough!

We'll see in a about 8 1/2 days if Wylie is REALLY that good. LOL ya...

their week 1 opponent is no slouch....

stephenville's first 3 games are:

@ aledo
vs abilene wylie
@ brownwood

heard stephenville's defense was sloppy during the scrimmages...

waterboy
08-26-2010, 12:10 PM
You are correct, but we did play you one other time and we did better then!
Hey, Garcia, I think he was talking about Snyder in '04. It just so happened the Buckeyes were very good that year and won a state championship, so, no, they didn't measure up that year. No shame in that.

garciap77
08-26-2010, 12:17 PM
http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad340/LEDad_01/Decorated%20images/P9180119.jpg

...and you thought he came up with them all by himself!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hey Rocket! Empty your PMs! I found the book you were asking me about! :D

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/Excuses20Begone_New.jpg

Hope it helps man! Go Lions!!!!!!!! Except when they play Wylie!!!:D

garciap77
08-26-2010, 12:23 PM
Hey, Garcia, I think he was talking about Snyder in '04. It just so happened the Buckeyes were very good that year and won a state championship, so, no, they didn't measure up that year. No shame in that.

Missed that! Thanks!

Bosqueville
08-26-2010, 12:40 PM
Jason- I'm fairly new to the board but do you follow the Jackets? Do you go to many of their games?

ronwx5x
08-26-2010, 12:59 PM
AND.....now you have teams that get second or third in one district that could've been district champions in a lot of other districts. It all balances out, especially when you consider that the ones that wouldn't have made the playoffs in another district will get weeded out eventually once the playoffs begin.

I've seen more than one team lose an early season game then beat the same team in the playoffs.:rolleyes:

BaseballUmp
08-26-2010, 01:01 PM
We beat Hutto in the district championship game and then in the 4th round they came back and beat us

waterboy
08-26-2010, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
I've seen more than one team lose an early season game then beat the same team in the playoffs.:rolleyes:
It has happened. I think it's definitely more fair now than it was when there was only one team that made the playoffs. At least now you get a second chance.;)

LE Dad
08-26-2010, 01:14 PM
Hey Rocket! Empty your PMs! I found the book you were asking me about! :D

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/Excuses20Begone_New.jpg

Hope it helps man! Go Lions!!!!!!!! Except when they play Wylie!!!:D :D

OldBison75
08-26-2010, 01:44 PM
I know this is a twisted logic that can't be counted on, but, most of what Rocket says is twisted:

If Wylie beat Brownwood by 34 and Gilmer destroyed Wylie--logically Gilmer would have beat Brownwood by about 70 if I figure right.

I would think that making up a 70 point difference over the summer might be a little tougher than Rocket believes.

BwdLion73
08-26-2010, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by OldBison75
I know this is a twisted logic that can't be counted on, but, most of what Rocket says is twisted:

If Wylie beat Brownwood by 34 and Gilmer destroyed Wylie--logically Gilmer would have beat Brownwood by about 70 if I figure right.

I would think that making up a 70 point difference over the summer might be a little tougher than Rocket believes.

Wylie did not beat Brownwood by 34...ol" G-77 keeps showing the HALF SCORE! It was 21/41 so we should only have to make up around 50 or so points. ;) ....and before you Wylie folks jump in I can't help it if we ran all over your 3rd string.
:kiss:

OldBison75
08-26-2010, 03:20 PM
Sorry about that mess up on the score last year. I really was just trying to mess with Rocket since he is so mess-with-able. He is so much fun to keep jabbing at and I was trying to use typical downlow logic to my advantage.

I think that the Lions will challenge for the title this year, if they avoid the big injuries. I do think that in the playoffs they will see at least two teams that are equal in talent and can beat them on any given night. How they respond in those games will be the key. The pieces are therre and the coaching is there if the 15-18 year olds can execute the program. WE WILL SEE!!!!!

nobogey72
08-26-2010, 03:34 PM
Sorry about that mess up on the score last year. I really was just trying to mess with Rocket since he is so mess-with-able. He is so much fun to keep jabbing at and I was trying to use typical downlow logic to my advantage.

I think that the Lions will challenge for the title this year, if they avoid the big injuries. I do think that in the playoffs they will see at least two teams that are equal in talent and can beat them on any given night. How they respond in those games will be the key. The pieces are therre and the coaching is there if the 15-18 year olds can execute the program. WE WILL SEE!!!!!

Yea but their fans seem to be lacking in confidence!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

garciap77
08-26-2010, 05:36 PM

If Wylie plays the first team in all four QTRS, then Wylie hangs 82 or more points. Since Gilmer destroyed us, then logically Gilmer would have beat Brownwood by at least 164 or more!:D

Just saying!:D

P.S. Either way, if Brownwood would have gone to the SC vs Gilmer; and Gilmer had beat them by 164 or more points; in ROCKET'S mind it would have been a close game or it would have been a "Brownwood beat Brownwood" statement!:D

Give it up people!!! ROCKET is unbeatable!:D

;)

garciap77
08-26-2010, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by BwdLion73
Wylie did not beat Brownwood by 34...ol" G-77 keeps showing the HALF SCORE! It was 21/41 so we should only have to make up around 50 or so points. ;) ....and before you Wylie folks jump in I can't help it if we ran all over your 3rd string.
:kiss:

Correction!!!! Try 4th string!!:p

;)

bwdlionfan
08-26-2010, 05:44 PM
Correction!!!! Try 4th string!!:p

;)

Don't you guys have 6 or 7 'strings?' Considering your huge enrollment!

On a serious note... had Graylon/Jaxon been in that game, it would have had a different score. Who knows if we would have won, but def a different score. Heck if we had even had our #2 QB the whole game who knows.... Your starters at least wouldn't have been coming out of the game.

Rocket
08-26-2010, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by jason
ya...

their week 1 opponent is no slouch....

stephenville's first 3 games are:

@ aledo
vs abilene wylie
@ brownwood

heard stephenville's defense was sloppy during the scrimmages...

uh oh... :)

Rocket
08-26-2010, 05:47 PM
If Wylie plays the first team in all four QTRS, then Wylie hangs 82 or more points. Since Gilmer destroyed us, then logically Gilmer would have beat Brownwood by at least 164 or more!:D

Just saying!:D

P.S. Either way, if Brownwood would have gone to the SC vs Gilmer; and Gilmer had beat them by 164 or more points; in ROCKET'S mind it would have been a close game or it would have been a "Brownwood beat Brownwood" statement!:D

Give it up people!!! ROCKET is unbeatable!:D

;)

Your logic would be accurate if we would have had a QB the night we played you.

Yeah it made a difference. We beat Graham. You didn't.

Rocket
08-26-2010, 05:49 PM

Very good post. I agree.

Rocket
Originally posted by ronwx5x

It is hard to beat a good team twice in the same year. Aledo did it last year though.... LOL

garciap77
Originally posted by bwdlionfan

On a serious note... had Graylon/Jaxon been in that game, it would have had a different score. Who knows if we would have won, but def a different score. Heck if we had even had our #2 QB the whole game who knows.... Your starters at least wouldn't have been coming out of the game.

I thought Jaxon was the QB during part of the game!:confused:

Rocket
08-26-2010, 05:50 PM

My point exactly. Jaxon is not a QB. Either was Ellis and the kid who got his knee injured was a wide-eyed Sophomore. You didn't play the Brownwood team that beat Graham. We had 4 QB's rotate in our game vs. Wylie.

ccmom
08-26-2010, 05:52 PM

Yeah it made a difference. We beat Graham. You didn't. What was the score when the QB had to leave the game? I seriously don't remember. :thinking:

Rocket
08-26-2010, 05:56 PM
What was the score when the QB had to leave the game? I seriously don't remember. :thinking:

Well it was probably 14-7 or 21-7. We couldn't sustain a drive. 3 and out. Jaxon got in and tried to force a pass and got intercepted. It was not a good night. No QB.

garciap77
08-26-2010, 05:57 PM

WHAT!!! You had several QBs play that night, even Shipley had a shoot at it!:D

We are not talking about Wylie vs Graham we are talking about Brownwood vs Wylie! Graham beat us and that’s fine. They deserve the win. They were the better team that night. Stop making excuses and man up!:D

;)

garciap77
08-26-2010, 05:59 PM

We are not talking about Wylie vs Graham we are talking about Brownwood vs Wylie! Graham beat us and that’s fine. They deserve the win. They were the better team that night. Stop making excuses and man up!:D

Rocket
08-26-2010, 06:00 PM

;)

Good I will give you last year. Our turn this year. If you have anything left after playing Sville... LOL Nevermind, you have a 4A enrollment...

bwdlionfan
08-26-2010, 06:03 PM

I meant we didn't have Graylon/Jaxon combination... we never did last season.

I believe it was 14-7 when our backup was hurt. I'm also pretty sure he committed a turnover in the process of getting hurt. Wylie capitalized and it was 21-7. Then Jaxon gets put at QB next possession and throws a pick 6. That makes it 28 (or 27) to 7. Final score 41-21. Point being, we were out of the game with no one left to play QB in the middle of the 2nd quarter, and also went from being down 14-7 to down 28-7 without a QB in a matter of 2 or 3 minutes.

ccmom
08-26-2010, 06:05 PM
My point exactly. Jaxon is not a QB. Either was Ellis and the kid who got his knee injured was a wide-eyed Sophomore. You didn't play the Brownwood team that beat Graham. We had 4 QB's rotate in our game vs. Wylie. And 41 points hung on your defense by halftime. It's all coming back to me now. :D

Rocket
08-26-2010, 06:09 PM

I believe it was 14-7 when our backup was hurt. I'm also pretty sure he committed a turnover in the process of getting hurt. Wylie capitalized and it was 21-7. Then Jaxon gets put at QB next possession and throws a pick 6. That makes it 28 (or 27) to 7. Final score 41-21. Point being, we were out of the game with no one left to play QB in the middle of the 2nd quarter, and also went from being down 14-7 to down 28-7 without a QB in a matter of 2 or 3 minutes.

Don't try to explain to people. Let them think what they want. That was last year. It has nothing to do with what's about to go down this season.They didn't have to play without their golden boy. Oh yeah they did, and they lost. LOL

LHexPlayer
08-26-2010, 06:12 PM
That was last year. It has nothing to do with what's about to go down this season.

Do you actually type this every year or do you cut and paste this same crap every season?

Rocket
08-26-2010, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by LHexPlayer
Do you actually type this every year or do you cut and paste this same crap every season?

I wish we had LH on the schedule again. We need our 2nd team to get alot of reps.

ccmom
08-26-2010, 06:14 PM

I believe it was 14-7 when our backup was hurt. I'm also pretty sure he committed a turnover in the process of getting hurt. Wylie capitalized and it was 21-7. Then Jaxon gets put at QB next possession and throws a pick 6. That makes it 28 (or 27) to 7. Final score 41-21. Point being, we were out of the game with no one left to play QB in the middle of the 2nd quarter, and also went from being down 14-7 to down 28-7 without a QB in a matter of 2 or 3 minutes. You are right. The defense didn't allow all 41. I'll admit it was difficult to watch the offense struggle. I look forward to 2 healthy teams playing this year. :)

Rocket
08-26-2010, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by LHexPlayer

See Rocket's Rules of Downlow Smack Talk: Rule #1.

ccmom
08-26-2010, 06:18 PM
Don't try to explain to people. Let them think what they want. That was last year. It has nothing to do with what's about to go down this season.They didn't have to play without their golden boy. Oh yeah they did, and they lost. LOL Actually, we lost our starting QB in the final minute or so of the Graham game. We got beat. No excuses. Our #2 QB started the next 2 games, including a playoff game, and we won. Let's just get that straight.

bwdlionfan
08-26-2010, 06:21 PM
Actually, we lost our starting QB in the final minute or so of the Graham game. We got beat. No excuses. Our #2 QB started the next 2 games, including a playoff game, and we won. Let's just get that straight.

Congrats. I wasn't making excuses either, just stating facts.

Using our 3rd stringer we won 6 straight including 2 playoff games and the team (Graham) who beat your starter until one minute left and then 2nd stringer... or something like that.

We could go on with this all day... and it's probably what will happen til tomorrow night when something better to do comes along.

Rocket
08-26-2010, 06:22 PM
Actually, we lost our starting QB in the final minute or so of the Graham game. We got beat. No excuses. Our #2 QB started the next 2 games, including a playoff game, and we won. Let's just get that straight.

Who did y'all beat in the playoffs the first 2 Rounds? Were they a top ranked team? LOL nope. AND, you are right, you straight up got your butt beat with the best you had. That is when it's good to admit you got owned. That wasn't the case with us. You didn't beat the best we had. So pat yourselves on the back... GOOD JOB! My point is you did what you did last year with the best you had, we never once got to play with the best we had all on the field together. Not one game. Excuse? Sure...and a valid one.

ccmom
08-26-2010, 06:28 PM
Congrats. I wasn't making excuses either, just stating facts.

Using our 3rd stringer we won 6 straight including 2 playoff games and the team (Graham) who beat your starter until one minute left and then 2nd stringer... or something like that.

We could go on with this all day... and it's probably what will happen til tomorrow night when something better to do comes along. You are right about that! LOL. By the way...I wasn't implying that YOU were making excuses. I was referencing Rockee's babbling.

garciap77
08-26-2010, 06:39 PM
What was the score when the QB had to leave the game? I seriously don't remember. :thinking:

I don't remember either, but here is the score by QTR!

..................................Q1......Q2.....Q 3.....Q4.....Final
Abilene Wylie (12-2) .....17.......14......10......0.......41
Brownwood (10-3) ....... 7.........0........0.....14.......21

October 9, 2009 - Gordon Wood Stadium (Brownwood)

Pendragon13
08-26-2010, 06:50 PM

On a serious note... had Graylon/Jaxon been in that game, it would have had a different score. Who knows if we would have won, but def a different score. Heck if we had even had our #2 QB the whole game who knows.... Your starters at least wouldn't have been coming out of the game. Don't know who Graylon is...but I'm quite certain Shipley played against Wylie and there are pics to prove it.;)

edit- I see that has already been pointed out...guess I should read on before posting.:o

Pendragon13
08-26-2010, 06:53 PM

Yeah it made a difference. We beat Graham. You didn't. Using Rocket logic, Wylie beat Wylie the night we played Graham...I have never seen a more bizzare game. If you look at the stats (minus turnovers) it would appear that we killed them instead of going home with an L.

ccmom
08-26-2010, 06:59 PM
After reading the thread from last year's game, it looks like the score was 23-7 when the QB went down.

Rocket
08-26-2010, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Pendragon13
Don't know who Graylon is...but I'm quite certain Shipley played against Wylie and there are pics to prove it.;)

edit- I see that has already been pointed out...guess I should read on before posting.:o

Ummm anybody that says losing a starting QB means nothing is a fool. Shipley was playing, but had nobody to throw him the ball.

Ranger Mom
08-26-2010, 09:47 PM
Ummm anybody that says losing a starting QB means nothing is a fool. Shipley was playing, but had nobody to throw him the ball.

Greenwood just lost their starting QB (hopefully not for good) now our best receiver is playing QB......I know what you are saying!!

Rocket
08-26-2010, 09:57 PM
Greenwood just lost their starting QB (hopefully not for good) now our best receiver is playing QB......I know what you are saying!!

Yeah, but it's really no big deal. You should be able to perform to the level you would have with him. :rolleyes:

Ranger Mom
08-26-2010, 10:01 PM
Yeah, but it's really no big deal. You should be able to perform to the level you would have with him. :rolleyes:

When we lost to Merkel in 2003 and lost our QB during that same game, I know beyond a shadow of a doubt, we would not have made it any further if we HAD won.

It is nice to have depth, but we didn't...when we lost him...our season was done.

garciap77
08-26-2010, 10:06 PM
When we lost to Merkel in 2003 and lost our QB during that same game, I know beyond a shadow of a doubt, we would not have made it any further if we HAD won.

It is nice to have depth, but we didn't...when we lost him...our season was done.

Don't get him started again!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D

;)

Ranger Mom
08-26-2010, 10:07 PM
Don't get him started again!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D

;)

I speak the truth!!:)

garciap77
08-26-2010, 10:08 PM
I speak the truth!!:)

Now you did it!:D

;)

Ranger Mom
08-26-2010, 10:17 PM
Now you did it!:D

;)

You know what's gonna happen now??

Rocket will make a statement and then say, "even RM agrees with me!!"

WHAT HAVE I DONE?!?!?!?:doh:

Rocket
08-26-2010, 10:29 PM
Let's take a rewind... look at the Wylie game for what it was.

I am gonna break it down for you people that can't seem to get past the fact that you beat a team while they were down and how a starting QB not playing affects the SCORE and the defense.

Wylie, of course, had all of their big guns that night. Brownwood had Shipley back for his 2nd Game of the season and the starting QB Brown was out with a knee injury. Our 2nd String QB was a Soph who had seen some success against Liberty Hill and Manor, 2 Teams that were no where near GOOD and the level of intensity at both games was almost non-existent. Wylie's backup QB would have done just as well against these 2 teams.:rolleyes:

Wylie comes out and pops a quick strike for a score on the opening series. Kicks off to us and we run a decoy route and fake to Shipley leaving Ellis wide stinkin' open and we are off to the races. 7-7

Wylie answers quickly. We begin to struggle. The Soph QB is wide-eyed and shaken up. Wylie is def sending the house. So... of course advantage Wylie. a few series go by and we are 3 and out after 3 and out. This is because we lose half of our playbook (which we were still not fully installed being a new system and all) after our starting QB Brown goes down. The Soph QB gets knocked out of the game, blown knee. Now it's time for musical QB's. We are still going 3 and out and the defense is having to play the entire 1st half, and Wylie is scoring on 2 picks thrown by starting WR's.

So basically the Brownwood offense can't get a first down and is behind by more than 2 scores and trying to pass the ball, but only forcing passes and throwing INT's. Wylie is capitalizing, like any good team would do. before you know it, it's out of hand.

So to say our defense was no good is not entirely accurate. They had to play the entire game and our offense gave Wylie 14 quick points in like 3 minutes of time putting Brownwood in a situation to pass...and there was no QB to execute the playbook properly.

Wylie scores a lot, Brownwood is scrambling just trying to get a first down.

THIS WOULD NOT HAVE HAPPENED IF WE WOULD HAVE PLAYED WYLIE THE LAST WEEK OF DISTRICT.

So keep throwing that scoreboard shot up there, gp...as inaccurate as it was to who Brownwood really was last year, you can enjoy your victory against a Brownwood team that was at a HUGE disadvantage against probably the best Wylie team you have ever seen. probably could have beat the Wylie SC team. But who knows...

All I am saying is, you can say our defense didn't perform or whatever, but losing a starting QB affects every facet of the game, especially against the 2009 Wylie Bulldogs.

And here is my final point....
Even with all of that said. Even with the Wylie blowout vs. Brownwood... Brownwood was still a Co-District Champion of 2-3A that produced 2 State Finalists. :)

LH Panther Mom
08-26-2010, 10:54 PM
I am gonna break it down for you people that can't seem to get past the fact that you beat a team while they were down
Hmmmmm....I keep wondering the same thing about you and last year. :p

Rocket
08-26-2010, 10:57 PM

Oh yeah? Was your starting QB out? Or were you running an offense that Shipley knew like the back of his hand?

Watch the Fullback, beat LH. :)

BEAST
08-26-2010, 11:14 PM

Something to keep in mind, on our worst year, we gave your #1 ranked team all it could stand. We spotted you 14 (I think) on pick 6s and lost by a TD. Last year without several starters, Longoria beat your entire team by himself. You talk trash against us but the real question is, was yalls championship runs an anomoly? LH=Flash in a pan?

BEAST

BuckeyeNut
08-26-2010, 11:16 PM
tHIS THREAT IS STILL GOING? wHEN DO YALL PLAY AGAIN ?>

ccmom
08-26-2010, 11:17 PM

I am gonna break it down for you people that can't seem to get past the fact that you beat a team while they were down and how a starting QB not playing affects the SCORE and the defense.

Wylie, of course, had all of their big guns that night. Brownwood had Shipley back for his 2nd Game of the season and the starting QB Brown was out with a knee injury. Our 2nd String QB was a Soph who had seen some success against Liberty Hill and Manor, 2 Teams that were no where near GOOD and the level of intensity at both games was almost non-existent. Wylie's backup QB would have done just as well against these 2 teams.:rolleyes:

Wylie comes out and pops a quick strike for a score on the opening series. Kicks off to us and we run a decoy route and fake to Shipley leaving Ellis wide stinkin' open and we are off to the races. 7-7

Wylie answers quickly. We begin to struggle. The Soph QB is wide-eyed and shaken up. Wylie is def sending the house. So... of course advantage Wylie. a few series go by and we are 3 and out after 3 and out. This is because we lose half of our playbook (which we were still not fully installed being a new system and all) after our starting QB Brown goes down. The Soph QB gets knocked out of the game, blown knee. Now it's time for musical QB's. We are still going 3 and out and the defense is having to play the entire 1st half, and Wylie is scoring on 2 picks thrown by starting WR's.

So basically the Brownwood offense can't get a first down and is behind by more than 2 scores and trying to pass the ball, but only forcing passes and throwing INT's. Wylie is capitalizing, like any good team would do. before you know it, it's out of hand.

So to say our defense was no good is not entirely accurate. They had to play the entire game and our offense gave Wylie 14 quick points in like 3 minutes of time putting Brownwood in a situation to pass...and there was no QB to execute the playbook properly.

THIS WOULD NOT HAVE HAPPENED IF WE WOULD HAVE PLAYED WYLIE THE LAST WEEK OF DISTRICT.

So keep throwing that scoreboard shot up there, gp...as inaccurate as it was to who Brownwood really was last year, you can enjoy your victory against a Brownwood team that was at a HUGE disadvantage against probably the best Wylie team you have ever seen. probably could have beat the Wylie SC team. But who knows...

All I am saying is, you can say our defense didn't perform or whatever, but losing a starting QB affects every facet of the game, especially against the 2009 Wylie Bulldogs.

Even with all of that said. Even with the Wylie blowout vs. Brownwood... Brownwood was still a Co-District Champion of 2-3A that produced 2 State Finalists. :) The scoreboard was inaccurate?:confused: I've never seen a scoreboard that includes team descriptions for a given night. Is that in the plans for when you replace the minitron?:D

Rocket
08-26-2010, 11:30 PM
The scoreboard was inaccurate?:confused: I've never seen a scoreboard that includes team descriptions for a given night. Is that in the plans for when you replace the minitron?:D

So looking forward to spanking Wylie at that Build-Rite Sam's Special Do-It-Yourself Football Field you call a stadium. :rolleyes:

steerz2010
08-26-2010, 11:31 PM
So looking forward to spanking Wylie at that Build-Rite Sam's Special Do-It-Yourself Football Field you call a stadium. :rolleyes:
Wylie rolls :D

Rocket
08-26-2010, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Black Flag
tHIS THREAT IS STILL GOING? wHEN DO YALL PLAY AGAIN ?>

We play the final week of District.

Rocket
08-26-2010, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by steerz2010
Wylie rolls :D

Brownwood rolls all over Graham...again.

steerz2010
08-26-2010, 11:33 PM
Brownwood rolls all over Graham...again.
again???? hahahaha

and yeah as much as i hate to admit it im going with brownwood to beat us this year :( :( :(

Bullaholic
08-26-2010, 11:44 PM

Even with all of that said. Even with the Wylie blowout vs. Brownwood... Brownwood was still a Co-District Champion of 2-3A that produced 2 State Finalists. :)

Hmmmm.....Let's take a reading on this one.....

http://www.pcpros-tx.com/bullmeter.jpg

Yep--consistent one season to the next....:D

LH Panther Mom
08-27-2010, 06:23 AM
Something to keep in mind, on our worst year, we gave your #1 ranked team all it could stand. We spotted you 14 (I think) on pick 6s and lost by a TD. Last year without several starters, Longoria beat your entire team by himself. You talk trash against us but the real question is, was yalls championship runs an anomoly? LH=Flash in a pan?

BEAST
Something to keep in mind, in our worst year in a decade, you beat us with Longoria. And you certainly didn't beat us as bad as we would be beat. ;) I've got no trash talk against the Lions. HR Puff'n'Stuff and his hot air are a different story. :p

As far as anomolies go, I think that was last years' season.

Eagle 1
08-27-2010, 07:31 AM

I was at the game, and what you say is true, however......you seem to forget to mention the fact that Wylie was whipping Brownwood in the trenches where games are won and lost.
How many starters was Brownwood missing on the offense and defensive lines that night? What about Brownwood's secondary? I seen blown coverages all over the field.
When I seen Wylie dominate every aspect of the game, plus the size and numbers they had suited up, I actually thought there is no way this team is actually a 3A team. I never thought they would lose a game last year, but they did.
Having said that, I will say this. IMO I don't think it would have made that much of a difference if Brownwood would have had ALL of their starters that night, Wylie still would have won. It would have been a closer game, but Wylie was the better team across the board that night and until you face the facts your in denial. Hopefully this years game will be totally different and the Lions will come out on top.

garciap77
08-27-2010, 07:35 AM

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/DSC_8629posting-1-2.jpg

garciap77
08-27-2010, 07:39 AM

LOL
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/BrownwoodStadiumcopy-1.jpg
LOL

Rocket
08-27-2010, 08:27 AM
I was at the game, and what you say is true, however......you seem to forget to mention the fact that Wylie was whipping Brownwood in the trenches where games are won and lost.
How many starters was Brownwood missing on the offense and defensive lines that night? What about Brownwood's secondary? I seen blown coverages all over the field.
When I seen Wylie dominate every aspect of the game, plus the size and numbers they had suited up, I actually thought there is no way this team is actually a 3A team. I never thought they would lose a game last year, but they did.
Having said that, I will say this. IMO I don't think it would have made that much of a difference if Brownwood would have had ALL of their starters that night, Wylie still would have won. It would have been a closer game, but Wylie was the better team across the board that night and until you face the facts your in denial. Hopefully this years game will be totally different and the Lions will come out on top.

We had plays that would keep that Def line in check with our Starting QB. It would have been no where near the butt whooping it was and would have been much closer.

I have a feeling a lot of people will be saying the same thing about Brownwood this year. "No way is that a 3A team." ;)

Black_Magic
08-27-2010, 08:50 AM
This is a never ending peeing contest..:rolleyes:

LE Dad
08-27-2010, 08:51 AM
...HR Puff'n'Stuff and his hot air are a different story. :p http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m275/michelewind/puffnstuff.jpg

LE Dad
08-27-2010, 08:53 AM
We had plays that would keep that Def line in check with our Starting QB. It would have been no where near the butt whooping it was and would have been much closer.

I have a feeling a lot of people will be saying the same thing about Brownwood this year. "No way is that a 3A team." ;) I think you're right.:devil:

nobogey72
08-27-2010, 09:40 AM
Who did y'all beat in the playoffs the first 2 Rounds? Were they a top ranked team? LOL nope. AND, you are right, you straight up got your butt beat with the best you had. That is when it's good to admit you got owned. That wasn't the case with us. You didn't beat the best we had. So pat yourselves on the back... GOOD JOB! My point is you did what you did last year with the best you had, we never once got to play with the best we had all on the field together. Not one game. Excuse? Sure...and a valid one.

All these injuries that you keep bringing up is all a direct reflection of Brownwood's piss-poor offseason program. :D And, a good solid program doesn't have it's best playe (your description) transfer across town. :eek: :eek: AND to answer your question in the title of this thread......We are what we are, and we'll leave it up to morons like you to put us in some category.:doh: :doh: :D

Rocket
08-27-2010, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by nobogey72
All these injuries that you keep bringing up is all a direct reflection of Brownwood's piss-poor offseason program. :D And, a good solid program doesn't have it's best playe (your description) transfer across town. :eek: :eek: AND to answer your question in the title of this thread......We are what we are, and we'll leave it up to morons like you to put us in some category.:doh: :doh: :D

I agree. We didn't have a full offseason program in place last year. THIS YEAR, we do. :)

Rocket
08-27-2010, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
This is a never ending peeing contest..:rolleyes:

And you are still watching...

Rocket
08-27-2010, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by steerz2010
again???? hahahaha

and yeah as much as i hate to admit it im going with brownwood to beat us this year :( :( :(

Yeah again... we dominated your team until you hail mary'd your way back into it the last minutes of the game. This year we aren't young and we have our starting QB oh and Mr. Shipley will probably hang 400 yards and 4 TD's on ya instead of 300 and 2 TD's. LOL

pero chato
08-27-2010, 09:49 AM
But getting back to the subject matter of the thread title.
We really never know how good we will be. We usually have 1.5 returning starters, so every year is a new team.
I've seen us go 1-3 and then suddenly get it together and start winning.
Good luck to everyone tonight (and tomorrow)!

Rocket
08-27-2010, 10:02 AM
But getting back to the subject matter of the thread title.
We really never know how good we will be. We usually have 1.5 returning starters, so every year is a new team.
I've seen us go 1-3 and then suddenly get it together and start winning.
Good luck to everyone tonight (and tomorrow)!

Wylie is good and has a great program! No doubt. Just win some more State Titles so you can be legendary like Brownwood.

pero chato
08-27-2010, 10:14 AM
... Just win some more State Titles so you can be legendary like Brownwood.

It's what we live for my friend.

LE Dad
08-27-2010, 10:15 AM

What excuse will come out next?:thinking:

Bullaholic
08-27-2010, 10:32 AM
legendary like Brownwood.

Thanks largely due to the efforts of one great man and coach many years ago.

Black_Magic
08-27-2010, 10:38 AM
And you are still watching... like the old howard stern show. most people watch just to see what kind of crazy stuff will go on next.

Johnny Moxen
08-27-2010, 10:49 AM
You know I respect Coach Wood and all the he was able to accomplish.

However that being said, Brownwood hasn't won a State Championship in 29 years. Accomplish something a little more recent and then get back to me.

I remember when Cleburne was beating (owned) Brownwood in the 80's (both on the field and in the recruiting wars). And you still haven't quit recruiting. At least make it not so obvious, have the families at least claim or even move to Brownwood instead of still living in __________ (Bangs, Early, Goldthwaite, Zephyr, Commanche, Brady, the 4 corners of the earth, etc.)