PDA

View Full Version : Just so all will know and not wonder

zebrablue2
08-24-2010, 07:14 AM
what the heck is going on, there will be an official timeout around the half way point of each quarter in the first 3 weeks of the season. Will be a water break for the kids(safety reasons). It will be done at all levels, grades 7-12... That is all!!!

garciap77
08-24-2010, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by zebrablue2
what the heck is going on, there will be an official timeout around the half way point of each quarter in the first 3 weeks of the season. Will be a water break for the kids(safety reasons). It will be done at all levels, grades 7-12... That is all!!!

Thanks for the info!

Txbroadcaster
08-24-2010, 08:11 AM
luckily here in DFW area the heat wave is supposed to break and temps will be a little closer to normal

DDBooger
08-24-2010, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
luckily here in DFW area the heat wave is supposed to break and temps will be a little closer to normal Yup, already started up here in Stillwater. Highs in the upper 70s with some rain. Lows in the upper 50s :D

MUSTANG69
08-24-2010, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by DDBooger
Yup, already started up here in Stillwater. Highs in the upper 70s with some rain. Lows in the upper 50s :D

What I wouldn't give for some of that weather!

BEAST
08-24-2010, 09:02 AM

How long will this water break last? Similar to a regular timeout or longer?

BEAST

LE Dad
08-24-2010, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by BEAST

BEAST They did this here last year, It was just an officials timeout and the kids took probably a minute or 2; just enough time to take off the helmet, catch a knee, and get a drink.
A couple of games if there was an injury around that time the refs utilized that time for the break.

DDBooger
08-24-2010, 09:54 AM
I think it's smart. First few weeks you see lots of cramping.

Green Bling
08-24-2010, 01:52 PM
Thanks, ZB. Always good to be in the know!!:D

LHexPlayer
08-24-2010, 02:00 PM
Good idea and I applaud the decision. It's a smart way to be proactive on the dehydration and over heating issue. Thanks for informing us on this.

zebrablue2
08-24-2010, 03:24 PM

BEAST

regular timeout, or till all kids are hydrated.

JJWalker
08-24-2010, 04:04 PM
Does that mean Texas High School football is going to actually be played in octets instead of quarters? :thinking:

OLE'BULL
08-24-2010, 04:22 PM
I think that is one of the smartest rules they have come up with in a while. I would much rather sit through 4-8 more minutes of a game then watching good players sitting on the sidelines with cramps. Or even worse, heat related illnesses. Even though that it not enough time to recover from cramps or heat related illnesses, if it prevents one, then its worth it. I do think, and correct me if its already been mentioned, there needs to be some rules to this "officials timeout". This would be a good discussion... Do you say "no coaches are allowed to interact with the players?" Or "no substituting during this timeout?" Let me know your thoughts, i'd be interested to hear them...

BEAST
08-24-2010, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by OLE'BULL
I think that is one of the smartest rules they have come up with in a while. I would much rather sit through 4-8 more minutes of a game then watching good players sitting on the sidelines with cramps. Or even worse, heat related illnesses. Even though that it not enough time to recover from cramps or heat related illnesses, if it prevents one, then its worth it. I do think, and correct me if its already been mentioned, there needs to be some rules to this "officials timeout". This would be a good discussion... Do you say "no coaches are allowed to interact with the players?" Or "no substituting during this timeout?" Let me know your thoughts, i'd be interested to hear them...

Since both teams get the timeout at the exact same time, either way is fair to me. So long as both teams get to use it as a timeout for water and any adjustments needed, or both teams get to use it only for water. Either way works as long as its consistent.

BEAST

pirate4state
08-24-2010, 04:30 PM
regular timeout, or till all kids are hydrated.

Are the coaches can be able to talk to them or just the student trainers come out and give them water??

OLE'BULL
08-24-2010, 04:33 PM
Since both teams get the timeout at the exact same time, either way is fair to me. So long as both teams get to use it as a timeout for water and any adjustments needed, or both teams get to use it only for water. Either way works as long as its consistent.

BEAST

I agree, though I didnt mean they do one or the other (even though i wrote it that way looking back :doh: ) I was just throwing out ideas and seeing who had others? I just think there could be ways to take advantage of the situation and in a sense, alter the integrity of this great game....

Green Bling
08-24-2010, 06:29 PM
SA news said the TOs would be called at a time as not to interrupt normal play, as at change of possession. The need for these TOs would be re-evaluated after the first 3 weeks of the season.

zebrablue2
08-24-2010, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Green Bling
SA news said the TOs would be called at a time as not to interrupt normal play, as at change of possession. The need for these TOs would be re-evaluated after the first 3 weeks of the season.

that is correct. will happen after COP- (turnover, score, punt) could happen with 4 min. left in the qt. will not stop a drive!!

LE Dad
08-24-2010, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Are the coaches can be able to talk to them or just the student trainers come out and give them water?? The coaches were allowed to interact with players. I am assuming maybe this area was a test for this I assumed the whole state was doing it last year. It really won't make a difference in the flow of the game IMO just keeps the kids hydrated.