PDA

View Full Version : ??Trouble in Carthage??

buckeyebob
08-22-2010, 10:12 AM
From Longview News-Journal

CARTHAGE — Tackling in the open field and continued work on rebuilding the offensive line were themes for Carthage after the Bulldogs' scrimmage against Whitehouse on Friday. After two controlled portions, the teams played a live half, which saw Whitehouse score on a 68-yard tunnel screen-and-run by wideout Trey Metoyer with 30 seconds remaining to propel the Wildcats to a 21-14 advantage.

The score was Metoyer's second after he took the same play 32 yards for a touchdown for Whitehouse's first score that tied the half 7-7.

"We knew we were behind where we were, but we're going to get better," said Carthage head coach Scott Surratt. "We were sloppy. We didn't tackle very well in the open field. You better tackle Whitehouse well because their best players are out at wideout. A lot of teams nowadays are spread teams so our kids have got to be good tackling in space."

Metoyer, who has verbally committed to Oklahoma, had four catches for 115 yards. Whitehouse quarterback Hunter Taylor completed 7 of 13 passes for 138 yards. DaJuan Shelton made an impact out of the backfield with four carries for 85 yards and a touchdown as the Wildcats ran as well or better than they passed, rushing for 164 yards as they gained 302 total yards in two quarters.

"I thought we ran the ball efficiently. We moved the ball, we just didn't finish," Surratt said.

What does this mean? When the Buckeyes played Whitehouse last week, they were in the win column. In this case, the Bulldogs sucked ditch water.

Hey! oldtownag, what happened & what could this mean?

Emerson1
08-22-2010, 10:42 AM
It's a scrimmage...

fresh-j
08-22-2010, 10:42 AM
:cool:

LE Dad
08-22-2010, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
It's a scrimmage... It's Gilmer and Carthage... It could be a pre school kickball game and if one beat the one that beat the other you would hear about it.:D

LE Dad
08-22-2010, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by buckeyebob
From Longview News-Journal

CARTHAGE  Tackling in the open field and continued work on rebuilding the offensive line were themes for Carthage after the Bulldogs' scrimmage against Whitehouse on Friday. After two controlled portions, the teams played a live half, which saw Whitehouse score on a 68-yard tunnel screen-and-run by wideout Trey Metoyer with 30 seconds remaining to propel the Wildcats to a 21-14 advantage.

The score was Metoyer's second after he took the same play 32 yards for a touchdown for Whitehouse's first score that tied the half 7-7.

"We knew we were behind where we were, but we're going to get better," said Carthage head coach Scott Surratt. "We were sloppy. We didn't tackle very well in the open field. You better tackle Whitehouse well because their best players are out at wideout. A lot of teams nowadays are spread teams so our kids have got to be good tackling in space."

Metoyer, who has verbally committed to Oklahoma, had four catches for 115 yards. Whitehouse quarterback Hunter Taylor completed 7 of 13 passes for 138 yards. DaJuan Shelton made an impact out of the backfield with four carries for 85 yards and a touchdown as the Wildcats ran as well or better than they passed, rushing for 164 yards as they gained 302 total yards in two quarters.

"I thought we ran the ball efficiently. We moved the ball, we just didn't finish," Surratt said.

What does this mean? When the Buckeyes played Whitehouse last week, they were in the win column. In this case, the Bulldogs sucked ditch water.

Hey! oldtownag, what happened & what could this mean? "sucked ditch water" :eek: :eek: :eek:

:cool:

turbostud
08-22-2010, 11:08 AM
There is only one way to go when you are on top.

oldtownag
08-22-2010, 11:39 AM
Yea, it looks like we better throw in the towel.:1omg!:

Astrosdawg07
08-22-2010, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by LE Dad
It's Gilmer and Carthage... It could be a pre school kickball game and if one beat the one that beat the other you would hear about it.:D
This is true!

OldBison75
08-22-2010, 12:46 PM
Carthage will be okay, maybe not the powerhouse of the last couple of years, but no pushover either. This was a scrimmage and I would bet my life that these mistakes will be corrected. Coach Surratt will have them running on all cyllinders next week.

Aesculus gilmus
08-22-2010, 01:48 PM
I was at the Gilmer-Whitehouse scrimmage and it was a 2-2 tie.

Metoyer caught a 70-yard TD pass in our scrimmage. He's the real deal.

Both teams moved the ball at will.

I was pretty impressed with Whitehouse and so I am not too surprised at this result against Carthage. Whitehouse has size, speed and depth. They OUGHT to have depth, though, with 1,323 students.

I think Gilmer learned a lot by scrimmaging a much larger team and it made the Buckeyes better. I'm sure Carthage would say the same thing.

wimbo_pro
08-22-2010, 05:57 PM
they lose a scrimmage by a late TD and the question is asked about there being trouble? What am i missing here?

VWG
08-22-2010, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro
they lose a scrimmage by a late TD and the question is asked about there being trouble? What am i missing here?

I am thinking the same thing......:thinking:

the genious
08-22-2010, 10:48 PM
screens tend to work good in scrimmages because coaches dont want to show off all thier different coverages to the regular season teams so screens usually will work in a SCRIMMAGE!!!

buckeyebob
08-23-2010, 06:06 AM
Originally posted by oldtownag
Yea, it looks like we better throw in the towel.:1omg!:

Exactly & name us the Champions. This will solve the nagging question that has been on everyone's mind.

oldtownag
08-23-2010, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by buckeyebob
Exactly & name us the Champions. This will solve the nagging question that has been on everyone's mind.

Gilmer fans are the ones thinking about what could have been! We know we were the best last time we faced off!

mrgreenblood
08-23-2010, 09:11 AM
I am looking forward to listening to the game on the net. With all the talk about what was, what wasn't, and what would have been, the outcome should be just enough to start up some" if only's!" lol

waterboy
08-23-2010, 09:20 AM
It was JUST a scrimmage. There's no way to tell how the season is going to play out based on a scrimmage. Both Gilmer and Carthage have a lot of holes to fill, Gilmer more so. It will take them a game or two to get players in the right places and to gel together. I wouldn't be surprised to see both teams lose at least one pre-district game. They both have a tough schedule.