PDA

View Full Version : Scrimmage: Rio Hondo @ Hidalgo (4A)

Johnny 5
08-21-2010, 12:56 AM
Just in case anyone is interested in 32-3A, I wrote the following on the 956 Sports forums . . .

Okay, I was there for only both sides controlled scrimmage of the first stringers. Had to take the JV home :(.

Score was 0-0.

Anyways, from what I saw, here is my assessment:

Rio Hondo

Offense:

QB - Puga will lead the team. He has the command presence to do so. He his strong, fast, and the ball is on a string when he throws. Only saw one off pass, and it was not off by much. A few were on the move. He is the real deal. Only needs work on juke type moves (headfakes, etc.) and a bit on his vision. Very awesome, indeed . . . especially for a sophomore.

RB - This is the problem area on offense, that I saw. a few fumbles, and rarely got past first contact. That needs to be fixed ASAP.

O-Line - Smallish. Held their ground for the most part. Holes need to be bigger. A few stupid holding penalties really hurt.

WR's - Fast, excellent route running . . . and they can catch! Very impressed with this group as well.

Defense:

LB's - Seemed on the small side. I think this is the weak spot on defense. Runs up the middle took more kids than necessary to bring down.

D-Line - Held their ground. Got in the backfield a few times. They are BIG.

Secondary - Kept on their man or in their zones. Worked together. Pretty fast. Lacking in the big hit department, but did get an INT. They looked very good.

Ends - You guys remember Gonzo? Now there are two of him. lol Ends are beasts. Nuff said.

Hidalgo

Offense:

QB - decent arm, but cracks under pressure. Not too fast or shifty, but can move.

RB - Keeps the feet moving forward. He looks tough, and is pretty fast. I think he will be the backbone of the team.

O-Line - Big, but very meh. RH got in quite a few times from the ends or the middle. Not impressed at all. If they could do their job better, RB would be a beast.

WR's - Decent speed, ugly route running, decent hands.

Defense:

LB's - Quick to the ball, and can hit. Side to side speed is a bit lacking, but easily the best part of the D.

D-Line - Held their ground, pretty much. Did not break through to the QB, except once or twice.

Secondary - Decent as well. Pretty fast, had some problems keeping on their man.

Ends - Second in excellence, only to the LB's. These guys were all over the place. Good side to side speed, but a couple of bad angles. Other than that, looked good.

My Outlook

Overall: Both teams had big pluses, and big minuses that canceled each other out making them pretty much equal. If they were still 3A, the three playoff spots would easily go to Hid, RH, and Zap (not necessarily on that order), with LF playing dark horse. The only real fight would be in the ranking of the teams. But, alas . . . that is not to be . . .

Hidalgo: 4A should not have a huge problem with Hidalgo. They will not be a powerhouse. Hidalgo is mediocre, at best, in the 4A district. The big dogs will be too much (EE, MER, and WE), though I think Hidalgo will give at least two of those teams a good scaring. They will probably roll over Roma, La Joya JL, and VV. Hid vs Ray and vs VM will be good I think.

Rio Hondo: RH can take district if the RB issues are taken care of. If not, expect a tooth and nail fight, especially vs LF and Zap. I think RH will have PI, Pro, and RGC La Grulla's number. All non-district games will be tough hard -fought games, except Falfurrias, who should be a roll-over.

Edit:

From the site that shall not be named:

RIO HONDO 27, HIDALGO 20: At Hidalgo, Rio Hondo played solid on both sides as the Bobcats edged the Pirates.

The Cats got a big night from quarterback Juan Puga, who threw three touchdown passes, two to Jorge Bermudez. Ben Perez also caught a TD.

“Juan did a tremendous job and he grew up big time tonight,” Rio Hondo head coach Rocky James said. “The offensive line never quit and they played very well.”

Standouts for Rio Hondo’s defense included cornerback Sergio Perez, who had two interceptions. Good play also came from Danny Gomez III, Freddy Gonzalez and John Luna.

“We cut down our mistakes on defense and we were ready to play,” James said. “We came out and played hard-nosed football and we’re ready for the season.”

Old Green
08-21-2010, 06:59 AM
Good write up Johnny5. Rio Hondo seems to have reloaded.

What you think about the new school La Grulla?

Johnny 5
08-22-2010, 05:05 PM
They are not new to football, as they took players from Rio Grand City's main school, but they still have to learn the system.

I think they will be on par with Progreso this year. In other words, they will put on a good show for the first half of a game, but taper out as the game goes on.

Just my opinion.