PDA

View Full Version : High-End Car Audio

big daddy russ
08-20-2010, 02:42 PM
Anyone else on here into hi-fi car audio? I'm looking for some replacement speakers for my car.

I currently run a set of Focal 5" components with a 10" Image Dynamics sub off an old A/D/S six-channel amp. I'm tired of my Focals, ready to get something smoother, less boomy, and not as harsh/bright. I love Dynaudios (should've went with the Dyns in the first place, but caught the Focals on sale), but don't know if I want to spend another $1000 for a set of speakers. If possible, I'd like to come in under $700 (if I was closing in on $1k, I'd just go with the Dyns). And I'm willing to go active if that's what it takes.

I'm really looking for something with similar characteristics as the Dyns--smooth, transparent, equal representation throughout the entire frequency range, and effortless. I don't care as much about transient response, and I'm not to concerned with phasing/time alignment. I can take care of all that.

I know this speaker won't be as fast as the Focals, but the Focals are just too fatiguing, too boomy in the lower octaves, and too bright in the upper range for my taste. I've had my Focals for almost a decade and through three different amps (Soundstream Class A DaVinci, Phaze Audio tube driver, and this A/D/S) and have never found a way to keep them smooth and even-keeled, even after adding a Milbert Class A tube preamp.

For this new setup, I'm scrapping my subwoofer (which I should've done a long time ago) in favor of a two-way component setup utilizing larger mid-bass drivers (7" or 8") for longer extension on the low end so I can eliminate all the boominess from of my system and make it as clean as possible.

Anyone know anything about the different lines of Rainbows, Morels, Scanspeak, Vifa, or Seas and which drivers would compare more favorably to the Dyns? Any other recommendations also accepted.

BaseballUmp
08-20-2010, 02:54 PM
Wanna come hook my truck up after you're done? I've been rolling without a radio and amp for about 3 months now...

jason
08-20-2010, 03:32 PM
i just realized i could plug my iphone into the plug in my radio and stream pandora....pretty cool......

:nerd: :nerd:

TMer25
08-21-2010, 08:37 AM
Check out the Morel Elate 6 or 9. I have the 9's and love them.

poisoned10
08-21-2010, 09:04 AM
My truck has Bose speakers.

I love them.

waterboy
08-23-2010, 01:04 PM
I've always had good sound systems in my vehicles and my home. I've always looked at specs on the products. I have a Sony receiver in my Explorer with 4 volt pre-out running to a Sony XPlod 200 WPC amp (2 channels into 4 ohms) powering a pair of 12" Sony XPlod subs, and I have an Alpine 65 WPC 4-channel amp that powers 4 ea. 6"x 8" Infinity coaxial front speakers. It sounds VERY good and suits my needs. It's not boomy, but you can hear me coming for several blocks if I have it cranked.....:D