PDA

View Full Version : WAC???? UTSA and Tx State????

SHSBulldog00
08-20-2010, 10:55 AM
WAC commissioner Karl Benson held a conference call to discuss the events of the past 24 hours. In less than a day, the WAC went from being on the verge of gaining BYU as a non-football member to scramble mode after losing Fresno State and Nevada to the Mountain West.

Where does the WAC turn? Benson said the school will begin to look at adding schools for the 2012 season. He said there are plenty of options. Several FBS schools have already contacted the league with an interest in joining. The league could also add current FCS members that have an interest in moving up. Benson said the state of Texas is a big market for the WAC, and said there had been discussions with Texas-San Antonio and Texas State. He added that keeping Louisiana Tech also was a priority.

Daddy D 11
08-20-2010, 10:58 AM
I'd think UTSA and Texas State would go C-USA before they went WAC?

sahen
08-20-2010, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
I'd think UTSA and Texas State would go C-USA before they went WAC?

may not have that choice? CUSA already has 14 teams i think?

teh WAC should look at adding some texas schools just to make the travel load on La Tech a lot easier...maybe make 2 divisions or something...

Daddy D 11
08-20-2010, 11:11 AM
good points.

I just wish Utah would've never left the MWC. It would be a pretty cool conference right now with Utah, BYU, Boise, TCU, and Nevada. Just to name a few

sahen
08-20-2010, 12:17 PM
i would like to see the best 10 teams or so from the MWC, WAC, and CUSA combine to make a conference...i think they would be more likely to get BCS consideration then

Keith7
08-20-2010, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by sahen
i would like to see the best 10 teams or so from the MWC, WAC, and CUSA combine to make a conference...i think they would be more likely to get BCS consideration then

No Sun Belt?

sahen
08-20-2010, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
No Sun Belt?

Sun Belt could get involved in the reorganization...if those 4 conferences could cherry pick the best teams from them and then reorganize the others into more regional conferences i think it'd work out better financially for the ones not in the BCS conference made from it and of coures the lucky 10 or 12 in the resulting BCS conference would be happy...however, we know this won't happen cause there is no way 4 conferences work together esp once the schools in the middle that are left out of the new BCS conference raise heck about it...

Daddy D 11
08-20-2010, 02:06 PM
Football drives this, and football in the Sunbelt is weak.

sahen
08-20-2010, 03:11 PM

they may not have a team that could be in the top 10 of all the teams in the CUSA, WAC, and MWC...however they could help to balance the leftovers geographically and the teams in the Sun Belt could end up better off in the end because of it...

honestly i am unaware of the Sun Belt's football ability other than the fact that North Texas won the conference a couple years in a row a while back and are now making their stadium better....i am at work and my work computer wont work w/ ESPN since they updated their site the other day so I can't look at the conferences and decide who the 10 best of the 4 are....

Keith7
08-20-2010, 03:17 PM

Football in the WAC and CUSA are weak.. In fact CUSA might be the most overrated conference in the country. CUSA is just a bunch of has beens and never will bes

sahen
08-20-2010, 03:20 PM
Football in the WAC and CUSA are weak.. In fact CUSA might be the most overrated conference in the country. CUSA is just a bunch of has beens and never will bes

yes but to get a BCS bowl you are gonna need some teams that have at least been ranked lately in a conference...

off the top of my head CUSA has Houston, East Carolina, Tulsa, Central Florida, UAB, and Marshall that have been ranked at some point in the last 5 - 10 years or so...

Keith7
08-20-2010, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by sahen

honestly i am unaware of the Sun Belt's football ability other than the fact that North Texas won the conference a couple years in a row a while back and are now making their stadium better....i am at work and my work computer wont work w/ ESPN since they updated their site the other day so I can't look at the conferences and decide who the 10 best of the 4 are....

UNT won the sun belt 4 years in a row and the sun belt has "upset" more big 12, sec and PAC 10 schools than the WAC and CUSA combined over the last three years. So how's that for weak?

sahen
08-20-2010, 03:23 PM
UNT won the sun belt 4 years in a row and the sun belt has "upset" more big 12, sec and PAC 10 schools than the WAC and CUSA combined over the last three years. So how's that for weak?

but how many have been ranked and in teh discussion for a BCS bowl? all we are thinking about is trying to get a conference together that would have teh ability to get a BCS bowl bid...unfortunately just knocking off some BCS teams doesn't do that....HOWEVER, other than UH, TCU, BYU, Hawaii, East Carolina (to some extent), and maybe Nevada I dont really know if the Sun Belt wouldn't have an arguement to get their best 2 teams or so in there

Daddy D 11
08-20-2010, 05:58 PM

UofH and East Carolina have both spent a good number of weeks in the top 25 in the past 3-4 years.

Upsets are nice, but how many combined weeks does the SunBelt have in the top 25 in the past 5 years? Compare that to the WAC or CUSA and I would think the latter two would win fairly easy.