PDA

View Full Version : Burnet, Burnet, Burnet

BHS#1
09-28-2003, 05:56 PM
Marsha, Marsha, Marsha, HA HA HA :D

3afan2K3
09-28-2003, 05:57 PM
Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney Forney!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

spaniard
09-28-2003, 06:03 PM
ok, heres what i think right now. i love being from burnet, and i love to hear updates on how the team is doing. but for the love people!! please quit giving us boring updates that have already been updated and quit making people think we are completely conceited! like so many others have said on here, tooting our own horn isnt bad to a certain extent, but to the extent that some people have been doing it is making me sick of hearing burnet. i never thought id say this, but seriously folks chill out. we know we have a great team, and i think that its time we cooled off about letting everyone and their dog(no pun intended) know that. so, ill step down and put the soapbox away for another time when ill probly need it in the future. thanks and yall have a great day.

BHS#1
09-28-2003, 06:09 PM
3afan2k3 you win. :D :D :D

3afan
09-28-2003, 06:15 PM
burnet's having their run (glad they're in region IV and not II!) ... but lets see if they can maintain this high level for years and not drop down to average once this group of players departs. also, will they be able to keep their coach once his son and mcgee depart? only time will tell.

HotDawg89
09-28-2003, 06:46 PM
Okay, I'm with the Spaniard! Enough is enough.

And 3aFan- you have some really good questions- I wish I knew the answers to those. I think that Burnet will become an average to above average team after this year- but we won't be as strong as we stand at this moment! We have a lot of strong players- but as to the coach... like you said, only time will tell.

BurnetBandRules
09-28-2003, 06:59 PM
Who says that you have to open the post? No one sits next to you and pulls your arm behind your back saying open it or else! Geemanie! Most of the people who starts the post aren't even from Burnet! Don't let a topic piss you off so much. I can't believe that anyone would think that we would loose our coach due to his son graduating...that is low. The main reason he came here in the first place was because he heard of an openeing for a coaching position, so he took it. He was a graduate of Burnet high in the early/late 70's....he prides burnet....anything wrong with that? His son developed while at Burnet, it isn't like he brought him here as an all-state reciever! LOL

Pudlugger
09-28-2003, 07:34 PM
3afan:
burnet's having their run (glad they're in region IV and not II!) ... but lets see if they can maintain this high level for years and not drop down to average once this group of players departs. also, will they be able to keep their coach once his son and mcgee depart? only time will tell.Once his son graduates to D1 look for him to move into the next level. In 2 years Burnet will be an average 4a team. To Burnet fans I say enjoy it now because fame is fleeting. wink

3afan
09-28-2003, 07:39 PM
BurnetBandRules:
Who says that you have to open the post? No one sits next to you and pulls your arm behind your back saying open it or else! Geemanie! Most of the people who starts the post aren't even from Burnet! Don't let a topic piss you off so much. I can't believe that anyone would think that we would loose our coach due to his son graduating...that is low. The main reason he came here in the first place was because he heard of an openeing for a coaching position, so he took it. He was a graduate of Burnet high in the early/late 70's....he prides burnet....anything wrong with that? His son developed while at Burnet, it isn't like he brought him here as an all-state reciever! LOL.
low ?????? its a legitmate question ... that scenario happens often in the HS ranks. with all the recent success he's sure to have "opportunities". geez, dont be so sensitive .... :rolleyes:

espn1
09-28-2003, 07:42 PM
Pudlugger:

3afan:
burnet's having their run (glad they're in region IV and not II!) ... but lets see if they can maintain this high level for years and not drop down to average once this group of players departs. also, will they be able to keep their coach once his son and mcgee depart? only time will tell.Once his son graduates to D1 look for him to move into the next level. In 2 years Burnet will be an average 4a team. To Burnet fans I say enjoy it now because fame is fleeting. wink Shipley graduated from Burnet and has a lot of family there. There's a good chance that he will stay put. He will probably have to update his coaching staff though.

turbostud
09-28-2003, 08:07 PM
Maybe Shipley will take over at UT after Mack Brown gets the boot at the end of the year.

Gobbla2001
09-28-2003, 08:18 PM
Mack Brown won't get the boot, but I think his fans should...

Over 9 wins each of the years he's been there... Some people want too dang much...

And NO, they don't 'always' have the number 1 recruiting class like everyone 'always' says, though the recruiting classes are always in the top 5...

There are over 120 teams competing for the BCS championship, and the champs not 'always' gunna be Texas...

Geez...

Old Dog
09-28-2003, 08:51 PM
If coach Shipley was to move onward and upward, who could blame him. He will have to do what's best for his family. It would be great to keep him around for a long time, but Burnet probably can't afford to pay him what it would take to stay for years to come. It would be wonderful if he did stay long enough for his son, Jaxon to play here though. He has a extremely talented daughter too.....8th grade I think? You may not know, but he coached at the college level too.

olddawggreen
09-28-2003, 08:59 PM
For those of you that dont know, Shipley has another son and though he is pretty young, (grade school) he is a really great football palyer (Pewee). A natural with the ball! Look for him in about 5 years where ever they may be. Football runs in the family.

therealbulldogs
09-28-2003, 09:00 PM
Gobbla2001:

Over 9 wins each of the years he's been there... Some people want too dang much...

And NO, they don't 'always' have the number 1 recruiting class like everyone 'always' says, though the recruiting classes are always in the top 5...

There are over 120 teams competing for the BCS championship, and the champs not 'always' gunna be Texas...

Geez...AMEN, I get so tired of hearing about TU.

<small>[ September 28, 2003, 09:01 PM: Message edited by: therealbulldogs ]</small>

FormerBellvilleBrahma
09-28-2003, 09:03 PM
Sure would like to see Burnet and Bellville play this year, but wont happen with the 2 divisions, both teams have a great QB, WR, combo! Good luck to the B-towns!!! Maybe 2 state champions?

silver king
09-28-2003, 09:03 PM
so ur saying burnt is the team to beat in region iv.
geez so early in the season wow!good luck on your hopes :rolleyes:

lepfan
09-28-2003, 10:04 PM
Gobbla2001:

Geez...There are over 120 teams competing for the BCS championship, and the champs not 'always' gunna be Texas...

Good one...I just mailed my check to UT...a bonus for Mack...I for one hope they keep him...makes our job easier

<small>[ September 28, 2003, 10:04 PM: Message edited by: lepfan ]</small>

lepfan
09-28-2003, 10:09 PM
therealbulldogs:

Gobbla2001:

Geez...AMEN, I get so tired of hearing about TU.As much as I don't like Texas...give it up...it is soooo anal to call them TU ...they are UT...being called UT does not mean they are the only university in Texas...everyone knows who the other ones are...sorry just a pet peeve of mine

spaniard
09-28-2003, 11:40 PM
BurnetBandRules:
Who says that you have to open the post? No one sits next to you and pulls your arm behind your back saying open it or else! Geemanie! Most of the people who starts the post aren't even from Burnet! Don't let a topic piss you off so much. BBR, its not one post that ticks me off, its been the wave of posts and threads that have been so excessive of late. i can understand people being excited about how well our guys are doing this year, but its almost getting to the point of redundancy, and like our wise fellow poster 3afan2k3 said before, "stop beating a dead horse." ive been on here for about a year or so, i think, hehe, and the boasting and whatnot hasnt been near this bad since ive been on here. im just saying that if someone posts something about burnet, dont post the same thing that every other person from burnet has posted already. there, ive said my peace, hehe.

jerry7
09-29-2003, 12:28 AM
Forney who????????????? What's the stats?

crzyjournalist03
09-29-2003, 09:27 AM
jerry7:
Forney who????????????? What's the stats?lol

ihatetolose
09-29-2003, 10:37 AM
The Burnet coach has already coached at the college level. I doubt he'll go back. plus there are a lot of GOOD coaches in burnet that could keep it rolling. I think the 9th and jv teams in burnet will be undefeated this year. don't sell the younger kids short in burnet. There is a lot of talent coming up. Its not just the qb and wr that makes burnet so good. The D is tough and the players compete and work hard. I look for burnet to be competitive like stephenville every year. they may not always go 4 or 5 rounds in the playoffs but they should always compete and have a chance.

<small>[ September 29, 2003, 10:39 AM: Message edited by: ihatetolose ]</small>

STEAKHOUSE
09-29-2003, 10:52 AM
I have heard that the burnet head coach will folow his son to UT and be an assistant. Rumor has it that Mack has already offered him a job as an assistant strength and conditioning coach or possibly as a recruiting coordinator.

Don't know if there is any truth to these rumors...just what I heard at the Pit!

3afan
09-29-2003, 10:53 AM
wow ....... (IF its true)

<small>[ September 29, 2003, 10:53 AM: Message edited by: 3afan ]</small>

GreatBigBurnetFan
09-29-2003, 03:48 PM
I don't think anybody really knows what Coach Shipley will do, maybe not even him. I was setting
beside him at the 7 on 7 championship. He remarked
how much he hates to move. I jokingly said,"I'll
remind you of that later on". He laughed too.
Regards,
GreatBigBurnetFan

booger1
09-29-2003, 04:06 PM
I bet he is more worried about winning this year than taking a job at UT or anywhere else! The most important thing is on his mind right now!

GreatBigBurnetFan
09-29-2003, 07:20 PM
Hey booger1,
Boy, we sure agree on this one. We haven't even
started district yet. I guarantee that will be 5 games that those guys sure would like to knock
Burnet down a peg or two.

Guys, winning sure is fun for everybody but the
opponent.
Regards,
GreatBigBurnetFan

HotDawg89
09-29-2003, 09:04 PM
I have an opinion on the speculation of Coach Shipley moving. It is liable to draw some angry comments, but I have disabled my rating, so I really don't care much! eek!

I would HATE to see Bob Shipley leave. Last year, I have it on good authority, he was offered larger salaries at more than a couple of schools. He turned them down, but then he had a reason to stay didn't he???- a good shot at a state championship, and a sure thing in his son and McGee... From what I understand, he was slated to make more than the superintendent of schools here, and they had to give lots of raises across the board to keep everyone happy- cause we can't have an AD making more than the super can we?

Bottom line is, he has coached at the college level before- he's moved around a lot, his parents live here and are getting older...one of his brothers just moved back here... he has lots of ties to this community. It isn't just the job- it is about his family. Does that mean he wouldn't consider an offer if it came along? That is a question only the man himself can answer. But I think that there is a monetary issue that needs to be addressed within our district...Our program has grown leaps and bounds because of him and his staff. We can keep him if we are willing to pay... I think...- but Burnet is notorious for not wanting to "show the money"--
We could speculate until the cows come home. But if we let this bull out- we're losing a great man and a great coach.

Chris Hart
09-29-2003, 10:04 PM
DITTO!!!!

Old Dog
09-29-2003, 10:35 PM
The football coaches salary goes way beyond just the money. It involves how much you can pay your administration and on down the line to the teacher in the school room. As much as I love football and think the football team has brought a lot of recognition (and $) to the community, the school is still in the business of education first and foremost. I've even wondered if the boosters can supplement a coaches salary as long as it is an up front thing.

Any random thoughts in that area?

<small>[ September 29, 2003, 10:36 PM: Message edited by: Old Dog ]</small>

BIG19
09-30-2003, 07:41 AM
Old Dog, I have to echo your comments, but when the administration gets raises to equal the AD and the teachers in the school get nothing, then there is a problem. I know this is the institution known as Texas High School Football, but without the school first, there is no football program.

As for answering your question about supplementing a coaches salary, not real sure the UIL would go for that.

HotDawg89
09-30-2003, 10:57 AM
I see all the problems this can bring up. The real problem though is that no one wants to deal with it on the school board. We can vote for a bond to "build more schools" and it passes- but can we vote for a simple bond for pay-raises and incentives for our teachers? Higher salaries are a terrific incentive to draw quality teachers to our area. The last time our district tried to do anything for our teachers was when they wanted to put in an WAY overpriced daycare for the teachers only. As it was proposed, only the teachers with children 4 and under were aloud to use the facility- what did they do to supplement that "incentive" for the other teachers? Nothing. But they were going to drop some $200,000 into the program from "appropriated funds" to fund the program. THey won't use the appropriated funds for pay raises though? Come on. This is a really "cheap" school district. Of course this is much bigger than football here- but this is where the problem begins.

<small>[ September 30, 2003, 11:12 AM: Message edited by: HotDawg89 ]</small>

zippy
09-30-2003, 11:03 AM
HotDawg, I have no problem with what your saying, BUT, to clarify something, a Bond cannot be used for salaries, (illegal), it can only be used for capital improvements or infastructure.

HotDawg89
09-30-2003, 11:06 AM
What??? eek! Where does the money come from? Then the district can claim they have no money for raises- how do they get more money for raises it if they can't pass a bond to bring more taxes in to pay for salaries? I'm totally clueless I guess. :( Can you explain why?

zippy
09-30-2003, 11:12 AM
HotDawg89
Varsity
Member # 2140

posted September 30, 2003 11:06 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What??? Where does the money come from? Then the district can claim they have no money for raises- how do they get more money for raises it if they can't pass a bond to bring more taxes in to pay for salaries? I'm totally clueless I guess. Can you explain why?

--------------------
"We're bleeding green

The schools tax rate is comprised of 2 different taxes, (1)Maintenance & Operations and (2)Debt Service. The M&O rate is used for salaries and day to day operations, the Debt Service rate is used to repay bonds. So to get more money available for salaries they would have to raise the M&O rate which has a limit of a 8 cent increase per year. Hope that helps.

HotDawg89
09-30-2003, 11:15 AM
Oh it helps explain it- I appreciate that a bunch.- but man that is rotten. 8 cents per year? Awful! Thanks for letting me know. Now I am not sure who to be mad at! :D

<small>[ September 30, 2003, 11:25 AM: Message edited by: HotDawg89 ]</small>

BIG19
09-30-2003, 11:17 AM
OK, Zippy, answer this. Then why does the 8%, year in and year out, go to the select few and not the many?

HotDawg89
09-30-2003, 11:19 AM
Ohhhhhhhhhhhh.. 8%, your post said 8 cents. 8% is better by far than 8 cents. But still- it isn't enough. My dad teaches in Cove because he makes more than he could if he taught here. He was born and raised here, and lives here now. Show me the $$$$!

BIG19
09-30-2003, 11:25 AM
HotDawg that is why the good teachers are looking elsewhere. They like Burnet as a whole, but making a living by teaching is much better even in Marble Falls, Liberty Hill, Lampassas..... Make no since. And I was guessing it is 8% verses 8 cents.....

<small>[ September 30, 2003, 11:26 AM: Message edited by: BIG19 ]</small>

HotDawg89
09-30-2003, 11:32 AM
It's a real shame 19 that we don't take better care of our educators as a whole. We as a community should have something to say about this. That 8% is almost always going to go to maintenance- as our facilities keep growing, it takes more to keep them going...which leaves our teachers at the bottom of the food chain! This is one of the reasons why I was so ticked about this issue last year. Everyone thought it was because it was a daycare thing...but it was deeper than that. I have lots of friends who teach here and have for years who weren't offered any benefits from the appropriated funds... it wasn't fair to them. Agghhh :mad: the whole thing ticks me off. But stewing about it does nothing so I am taking deep, cleansing breaths... :D

zippy
09-30-2003, 11:34 AM
Actually, 8 cents is more advantageous than 8%. And to answer the other point "why does it go to a select few?", well my friend, I don't have an answer for that one. It's all politics. I'd rather see the increase at the teacher level myself. I've often wondered why it takes 3 people (administrative) to do the job that 1 person used to.

STEAKHOUSE
09-30-2003, 01:18 PM
MAYBE THE DISTRICT IS THREE TIMES AS BIG AND IT IS BEING RUN CORRECTLY INSTEAD OF CORRUPTLY(SP?)

zippy
09-30-2003, 01:44 PM
hmmm...are you implying that it was corrupt in the past?

HotDawg89
09-30-2003, 05:17 PM
zippy:
hmmm...are you implying that it was corrupt in the past?It would surprise me if anyone thought it wasn't. It's no secret that we went through a huge amount of junk a couple of years ago...

I just think the teachers deserve more pay. When we can't pay quality staff what it takes to keep them here, we lose out. That is my biggest, only real, gripe.

BurnetBandRules
09-30-2003, 06:01 PM
I can agree that this all goes along the lines of politics....Take the students for example, when a football player does well on a GREAT team such as Burnet, they are more than likely to get offered a full or partial ride to any college. Then you take a band student......If a student is in a good band program, such as Burnet :-), and makes the all-state band, which is EQUALLY as good in the band field as in the football field, they aren't offered a full scholar ship to anywhere. They will be lucky if they get $1,000 to anywhere. Grades in this play a big thing when it comes to a band person, yet when a football programm has an excellent athelet, they are offered lotsa money to play for their school, making their school look good. Same goes for a track member, or choir member. Everything now a days is based on "What will bring money and popularity to our college?" The coach may spend rigourus hours on the feild and in the officed developing and implementing defensive/offensive plays, but so does a teacher in his or her subject. They have papers to grade, tests to make, lots of hours AFTER school preparing for the comming week or month....The teachers deserve JUST AS MUCH if not more than a coach. Too much emphasis in the area of sports versus education. But you know what, we aren't the corrupt government.....GO BURNET BULLDOGS!!!

CentralTxFan
09-30-2003, 06:32 PM
BurnetBandRules:
I can agree that this all goes along the lines of politics....Take the students for example, when a football player does well on a GREAT team such as Burnet, they are more than likely to get offered a full or partial ride to any college. Then you take a band student......If a student is in a good band program, such as Burnet :-), and makes the all-state band, which is EQUALLY as good in the band field as in the football field, they aren't offered a full scholar ship to anywhere. They will be lucky if they get $1,000 to anywhere. Grades in this play a big thing when it comes to a band person, yet when a football programm has an excellent athelet, they are offered lotsa money to play for their school, making their school look good. Same goes for a track member, or choir member. Everything now a days is based on "What will bring money and popularity to our college?" The coach may spend rigourus hours on the feild and in the officed developing and implementing defensive/offensive plays, but so does a teacher in his or her subject. They have papers to grade, tests to make, lots of hours AFTER school preparing for the comming week or month....The teachers deserve JUST AS MUCH if not more than a coach. Too much emphasis in the area of sports versus education. But you know what, we aren't the corrupt government.....GO BURNET BULLDOGS!!!I hope I misread what you said about a choir member. Surely you are saying a choir member does NOT get scholarships. Choir programs at the university level do not bring in $$$ to the school, just like they don't at the HS level. Track kids get scholarships, choir kids do not.

BurnetBandRules
09-30-2003, 07:12 PM
Yes, I understand what you are saying and I can understand how that can be mis-interpreted! Sorry about that. But my point was that their are alot of Students and Teachers that go un-noticed for their accomplishments! That is all....I know that Choir members don't bring in the money to a school system, whether it be College or HS, I am just saying their may be people that have excelled in that area who may deserve money to a school, but, do to politics, they don't and go unrecognized.