PDA

View Full Version : McKinney North / Lucas Lovejoy scrimmage tonight

Gsquared
08-20-2010, 09:38 AM
Just got the script. They are going to play a live half!! Im sooo there!

15 Plays North Offense 1st team
15 Plays Lovejoy Offense 1st team
12 Plays Noth Offense 2nd team
12 Plays Lovejoy Offense 2nd team

2-12 minute periods (Full Half) / Coin Flip to determine possession

Bruce
08-20-2010, 10:30 AM
G, this should be a good scrimmage to watch. You missed a good scrimmage over in Bull country last night. Both teams looked fairly good. Our running game and passing games stood out last night. Some area's we will need a little bit working on. A number of different players saw alot playing time last night. Also, the Bulls looked fairly good also. Both teams were a class act on the field, real gentle men , from both teams.Thanks!

Gsquared
08-20-2010, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Bruce
G, this should be a good scrimmage to watch. You missed a good scrimmage over in Bull country last night. Both teams looked fairly good. Our running game and passing games stood out last night. Some area's we will need a little bit working on. A number of different players saw alot playing time last night. Also, the Bulls looked fairly good also. Both teams were a class act on the field, real gentle men , from both teams.Thanks!
Wish I could have been there!

orange machine
08-20-2010, 11:27 PM
Any news on this scrimmage?

Txbroadcaster
08-20-2010, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by orange machine
Any news on this scrimmage?

G texted me saying quote LL is overrated

orange machine
08-20-2010, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster

Hmm :eek:

Matthew328
08-21-2010, 10:32 AM
Lovejoy is gonna have to get their issues on D worked out..all their talent is on one side of the ball

CHS_89
08-21-2010, 11:37 AM
What were the scores of the scrimmage?

Looking4number8
08-21-2010, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Matthew328
Lovejoy is gonna have to get their issues on D worked out..all their talent is on one side of the ball
I wonder what that feels like..... OH CRAP, IT FEELS LIKE THE LIONS 2008 SEASON............PAINFULL!

Farmersfan
08-23-2010, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster

I find this hard to believe!!!! I wonder why someone didn't say this about a month ago???? WAIT!!!! Someone did! :D

ccmom
08-23-2010, 10:48 AM
http://www.scntx.com/articles/2010/08/22/sports_update/9335.txt

McKinney North, Lovejoy tie 7-7 in final scrimmage
BY ANDREW MAY, amay@acnpapers.com
Published: Friday, August 20, 2010 10:42 PM CDT
LUCAS – The debut of an unproven sophomore quarterback overshadowed the play of a battle-tested senior expected to be among the state’s elite in 2010.

McKinney North speedster Brylen Williams rushed for more than 100 yards in his first appearance for the Bulldogs after beating out Austin Laudenslager for the starting job in two-a-days, while Lovejoy’s Michael Means was rusty in his first action of the fall as the two teams tied 7-7 in a scrimmage at Lovejoy High School on Friday.

Taking over for Brenton Griffin, Williams displayed his dual-threat ability early on in the controlled portion of his team’s first and only scrimmage. After torching Lovejoy for a lengthy rushing touchdown, Williams carried it over to the first of two 12-minute quarters by blazing down the right sideline for a 62-yard scoring scamper that capped a quick 3-play, 99-yard drive to put the Bulldogs ahead 7-0.

“It was Brylen’s first time to be under the varsity lights. I thought he handled himself very well,” North second-year head coach Mike Fecci said. “Brylen is a tremendous athlete that has a lot of speed. He kind of showed that tonight at different times. I thought he did a good job.”

Lovejoy, which advanced to the 3A state semifinals last season, answered back minutes later after a punt for no gain allowed the Leopards to take over on the North 9-yard line. Two plays later, Means connected with senior Matt Kotecki on a 5-yard touchdown that would cap the scoring.

Means threw for more than 2,000 yards and 15 touchdowns in 2009 and also rushed for 1,483 yards and 30 scores, but was seeing his first action after not suiting up last week in a scrimmage against Kaufman.

“He was a little rusty,” Lovejoy head coach Jim Bob Puckett said. “Mike is a competitor. He probably put a little more pressure on himself tonight, a little more jam on the bread. I think he’ll be alright.”

A battle of attrition ensued from then on as the two defenses took hold. North was able to put the clamps on Lovejoy junior tailback Blake Martin, who rushed for more than 1,000 yards last season, by continually getting solid penetration into the backfield. The Bulldogs return their front four from a year ago, and it showed.

“We feel real good about our defensive line up front,” Fecci said. “I was proud of our defensive line and linebackers. I thought we did pretty well. I was happy with our kids’ effort.

“I thought they played hard. It gave us a real good opportunity to find out what kind of shape we’re in. We’re not there yet, but I think we’re off to a good start.”

On the home sideline, Puckett and his offensive staff, which came from North to start the Leopard program three years ago, didn’t feel the same way. He said his players dwelled on negative plays too long and didn’t bounce back in a timely manner.

“We just didn’t play with much emotion. Our kids have got to learn to put the last play behind them,” he said. “That’s one of the downfalls with this bunch. They take it personal and don’t know how to put it behind them. All it takes is one big hit, one big catch, one big run to get our swagger back.”

Coming off a sophomore season in which he led North with 448 rushing yards, Devin Smith looked crisp in and out of his cuts. He got superior blocking from an experienced offensive line that features senior returners Devante Fields, Mitchell Grimes and Reed Hawkins.

The Bulldogs opted to keep their offense fairly basic in an effort to keep future opponents from picking up much of their scheme. Fecci said the main thing he wanted to see was how well conditioned his players are. Many will see action on both sides of the ball as North looks to keep its top players on the field at all times.

“It’s a big factor when you’re playing only one way, but when you’re playing both ways we’re going to have to be in the best shape we can be in,” Fecci said. “We need to be very smart as coaches how we roll kids in and out. With the way we’re playing kids both ways right now, it gives us a true picture what kind of depth we have at different positions. I think we got some questions answered tonight that we were looking to get answered.”

There are still questions Lovejoy needs to address, namely along the offensive line. Players continually rotated in and out as Puckett looked to evaluate his options a week ahead of the season opener against Argyle.

“We’re still struggling up front,” he said. “Right now we’re still trying to find a unit, find a sync if you will to get some push up front. It’ll come. It’s simple stuff we’ve got to get corrected, but we’ve got to get it corrected.

“Other than that I thought the kids pretty much played hard. It’s still early in the season. A lot of our problem is conditioning. All in all, it’s just going to take time.”

During the controlled portion of the scrimmage, senior Parker Norris stole the show. But not on offense where he led Lovejoy in receiving last season with 684 yards and five touchdowns. His biggest impact came at cornerback where he intercepted Williams on the very first play and also picked off another pass seven plays later. That was in addition to fielding time on offense and as a punt returner.

Lovejoy, which enters the season as the top-ranked 3A team in the state according to Dave Campbell’s Texas Football, will have to balance those expectations if another deep playoff run is in order.

“I think it is a distraction,” Puckett said of the ranking. “I try to make them understand that it’s someone else’s opinion of you. We haven’t done anything in 2010. It’s based on what we did last year. I told them to celebrate it, but at the same time what got us here is hard work and a critical eye to detail. Camp is broke and now the season is on.”

The Bulldogs have far less lofty expectations after struggling to a 2-8 record a year ago, but understand they have a fresh outlook with which to work. Their season starts next week with a non-district battle against McKinney Boyd.

“It’s going to be a great test for us,” Fecci said. “That game always has a lot of emotion involved in it. It’s fun for the kids, it’s fun for us as coaches. We’re excited about it.”

Gsquared
08-23-2010, 11:00 AM
Lovejoy is going to have to score alot of points until thier defense finds thier sea legs. The D-Line got pushed around pretty good against Kaufman and McKinney North. Thier linebackers seemed slow to the ball.

Txbroadcaster
08-23-2010, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Gsquared
Lovejoy is going to have to score alot of points until thier defense finds thier sea legs. The D-Line got pushed around pretty good against Kaufman and McKinney North. Thier linebackers seemed slow to the ball.

Is it Royse City with Morrison all over again?