PDA

View Full Version : my thoughts on the smithville vs. rice cons. scrimage 8/19

jrhernandez7
08-19-2010, 09:04 PM
off the bat, i dont know absolutley nothing about rice cons. they still 3a or back to 2??? what are they expected to do this yr?

there where two parts of this scrimage, the scrimage portion then a live half. during the scrimage part both offenses had a hard time establishing anything. the Dfenses ruled that part of the scrimage. smithville woke up in the live portion. scoring 3 tds and realy having rice on there heels the whole live half. the passing game looks to be in decent shape being so early in the yr. i saw a few very nice catches. the new qb is looking somewhat solid, throwing on the run seems to be his strong point. the D, looks like they are improved from a season ago. i was watching the trenches closly, and smithville held its own, and was getting movement on a much much bigger d line from rice. the d line held rice at a stalemate most the time. smithville is going on its 4th yr with this spread system and it is showing, recvivers and qb on same page, spacing on routs look realy good. if the line on smithville can hold up this season we should be competive week to week, also depth may be a problem. i realy couldnt tell you at this point if this is a 1-9 or a 6-4 football team. but the system is in place on the offensive side of the ball, and the players know it inside and out, but the team is not as talented as last year, so should make for a intresting year to watch how far coach wiley has come along in his 6 years hear. The wimberly game in week 3 will tell all. until then im up in the air.

Pudlugger
08-19-2010, 09:21 PM
jrhernandez7 the Tigers sound like a solid team. If they can get that offense cooking like last year then D23 will really be interesting. A meat grinder of 6 playoff level teams fighting for three spots on the ticket.

jrhernandez7
08-19-2010, 09:36 PM
pud i sure do hope so. if this team starts off hott like years past the game against LG wich is now the last game of the season could end up meaning a whole lot more than it already means. but if they come out the gate strugling then it could be a very long season. this team is as good as it belive it is at this point. got alot of improvment to be made. Lexington is going to be a good opening team for them to play, solid 2a who has been a staple in the playoffs over the last decade. who does lg open with??