PDA

View Full Version : Bob Shipley impressed with son's NFL debut

Phantom Stang
08-19-2010, 02:47 PM
Shipley impressed with son's NFL debut

* By Evan Ren
* Abilene Reporter-News
* Posted August 12, 2010 at 12:14 a.m.

Coach Bob Shipley is trying to make it to his son’s first regular season game.
Jordan Shipley had two catches and a 63-yard punt return in his NFL preseason debut.

Jordan Shipley had two catches and a 63-yard punt return in his NFL preseason debut.

Brownwood football coach Bob Shipley was on hand in Canton, Ohio, to watch his son Jordan’s NFL debut with the Cincinnati Bengals against the Dallas Cowboys on Sunday.

Whether he makes it to another game, however, remains to be seen — largely due to his hectic schedule as a high school coach and the exorbitant price of travel.

When asked how many games he would be able to attend this season, Coach Shipley wasn’t optimistic.

“Not many,” he said. “I’m going to have to buy the NFL (satellite) package, I guess.”

Returning to his hotel room at 2 a.m., Shipley missed Brownwood’s morning practice Monday after hopping an early flight back to Texas.

“I was going to try to make his first regular season game (Sept. 12 at New England). It will end up costing more than $1,000 for me and my wife to go up there, so I don’t think we’ll do that (often).”

The debut of the former Texas All-American was an impressive one — two catches and a fourth-quarter punt return of 63 yards that set up the Bengals’ only score in a 16-7 loss.

“It was exciting, and he got to run with the first group when they ran three receivers, which was good to see,” Shipley said. “He did pretty well and the big punt return was fun to watch.

“But it’s only a preseason game and you can’t get too excited about that.”

At present, he said, Jordan is holding the No. 1 spot at Cincinnati’s inside slot receiver position, and figures to see plenty of one-on-one coverage with Cincinnati sporting receivers Chad Ochocinco and Terrell Owens on the outside.

“I think it’s going to be a big position for him,” coach Shipley said. “Because T.O. and Ocho will demand so much attention outside it should open up the inside for he and (Jermaine) Gresham, the tight end.”

http://www.reporternews.com/news/2010/aug/12/shipley-impressed-with-sons-nfl-debut/?partner=RSS

Emerson1
08-19-2010, 02:52 PM
“I was going to try to make his first regular season game (Sept. 12 at New England). It will end up costing more than $1,000 for me and my wife to go up there, so I don’t think we’ll do that (often).”

It's time to mooch off your son who has $750,000 in the bank.

BwdLion73
08-19-2010, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1

:thinking: :iagree:

King_LeYoeNidas
08-19-2010, 09:59 PM
seriously. first as a head coach, dude makes plenty of cash. But even if the bank is running low, hello......NFL ROOKIE SON? Dude probably lost $1000 in his couch.

Trashman
08-19-2010, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1

The Shipley"s would never do that to their son.:rolleyes:

coach
08-20-2010, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by King_LeYoeNidas
seriously. first as a head coach, dude makes plenty of cash. But even if the bank is running low, hello......NFL ROOKIE SON? Dude probably lost $1000 in his couch.

i heard he bought colt a "going away present" which cost him a few grand

Looking4number8
08-20-2010, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by King_LeYoeNidas
seriously. first as a head coach, dude makes plenty of cash.

I dont think he makes a fortune here, that is why we were suprised he applied for the Brownwood job after be at a 5A metrmess school.

lulu
08-20-2010, 11:52 AM
Well,,,, who wasn't impressed? I sure as heck was and screamed for him every step. Even though I was rooting for the Cowboys.:)

Ranger Mom
08-20-2010, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by lulu
Well,,,, who wasn't impressed? I sure as heck was and screamed for him every step. Even though I was rooting for the Cowboys.:)

:ditto:

espn1
08-20-2010, 01:12 PM
He'll be leaving B'wood after this year anyway.