PDA

View Full Version : Rice QB injury

CheerMom
10-25-2003, 11:16 AM
What's going to happen to Rice now that their QB is out for the season?

Rice 43
Edna 0

Bellville22
10-26-2003, 02:55 PM
What happened to him?

CheerMom
10-26-2003, 05:13 PM
He was running with the ball in Friday night's game and when he was tackled the small bone in his ankle was broken. He underwent surgery yesterday, and is out for the rest of the football season and basketball season.

BrahmaMom
10-26-2003, 05:32 PM
Bless his heart, they have had their share of problems this season. Is he a senior? Hope the surgery is a success.

jason
10-26-2003, 05:43 PM
CheerMom:
He was running with the ball in Friday night's game and when he was tackled the small bone in his ankle was broken. He underwent surgery yesterday, and is out for the rest of the football season and basketball season.thats too bad :confused:

CheerMom
10-26-2003, 06:05 PM
BrahmaMom, yes he is a senior which makes it that much harder for him.

RAIDER96
10-27-2003, 12:47 PM
I talked to him last night and he said it is possible he will be back for basketball. He is a stand up guy and has already been in contact with back up QB Stewart Ray and let him know that he will help him in anyway he can. I think Ray will do fine , just hope he has time to adjust in time for play-offs. We will miss Ray on defense. The one thing we were all talking about last week happened.........Rice up 37 - 0 ...2 minutes left in the 3rd quarter and the 1rst string QB is still in and running the ball.

Bellville22
10-27-2003, 01:08 PM
My thoughts are with this young man. He did a fine job running that offense. Was often lost in the shadows of Huffman and Spears, but he was a heck of a player too.

Tough break for the Raiders to lose him when up 37-0 late. Tough decision for coaches to make, especially with seniors wanting to play every minute of every game. I was upset the other night that Buenger didn't even get to finish the first half in the Bellville game, but when I hear stuff like this, I guess it's better to be safe than sorry.

Best of luck to Moore (I think that's his name), and the Raiders.

txrangers
10-27-2003, 01:32 PM
as a coach you want your starters to play at least 3 quarters before turning the game over to the 2nd team. in football injuries happen and if we knew when they would occur we would all be healthy, but unfortunately, we don't. so quit second guessing the coaching staff and move on. if you want to be a coach and make all of the decisions then apply for our jobs and make the decisions.

we don't go around to your place of employment and tell you how to do your job so quit complaining about ours!

out

rodeo6
10-27-2003, 01:40 PM
If Ray doesn't work out Spears is the next man in line.It will be interesting to see how this plays out.Spears took a few snaps during the Edna game.

Bellville22
10-27-2003, 01:42 PM
Wasn't second guessing the coaches at all. It's a tough decision for any coach to make, and all have different views on how to handle it. Some like to get them out of there as soon as the game is in hand, while others like to leave them in for a while, maybe work on some things for the future. Don't think either is wrong, just a matter of that coaches style. You can never play assuming there will be an injury, have to get done what needs to get done, and follow your gut.

I do plan on entering the coaching field soon, and I'm sure I'll be presented with these same situations down the road.

CheerMom
10-27-2003, 02:30 PM
My opinion is to let Spears quarterback and move Sanford to the other tailback position. Spears is capable of throwing the ball and we all know he can run the ball. I think he would be able to handle the situation emotionally and mentally better than Ray. Ray will be ready next year, but I'm not sure that he is mature enough this year.

Bandera YaYa
10-27-2003, 02:39 PM
....CheerMom for Coach!!!!!! :D

RAIDER96
10-27-2003, 02:49 PM
TXRANGERS, DON'T TAKE IT SO PERSONAL, THESE ARE JUST OPINIONS, YOU KNOW EVERYONE HAS ONE AND THATS WHAT WE ARE HERE FOR. I KNOW IF I WAS A COACH I WOULD DO EVERYTHING DIFFERENT AND BETTER AND PROBABLY WOULD NOT WIN A GAME. SO HANG IN THERE WE ARE BEHIND YOU!

coiled2strike
10-27-2003, 02:55 PM
I think that is exactly why Buenger didn't play more...he took a good shot the head when he scramble and threw a great pass to Goeke...I saw him walking around on the sidelines and he looked fine, but why take a chance...and, it gets #2's and 3's more playing time to build depth for the playoffs and the future...

BIG19
10-27-2003, 02:55 PM
I, for one, hate to hear of such an injury. I also hate that the kid's season has been cut short. I wish him a very speedy recovery and I hope Rice coninues towards their goals. Best of luck guys!!

BrahmaMom
10-27-2003, 03:12 PM
Hope he recovers quickly, so sorry to have his senior season cut short. Coiled, I think 22 was reacting strongly to leaving a starter in since we lost our MLB to an ACL injury last year as the coach was turning around to replace him. It is hard on everyone when an injury happens, does no good to second guess yourself as coach or second guess the coach. I was glad Buenger got a break Friday, he's certainly seen lots of playing time and it's great we can work on our depth. Good luck to Rice and good luck to their QB, who has his rehab ahead, hope he makes basketball season.