PDA

View Full Version : Home owner's insurance recommendations.

Blastoderm55
08-14-2010, 12:09 PM
Any? I've got Progressive for auto, but their quote stunk for HOI. Our lender recommended Hochheim as they are more familiar with rural homes. We're also considering Germania. Farm Bureau is out of the question.

BullsFan
08-14-2010, 01:17 PM
I switched to Germania a few years ago for both car and auto, and saved myself a little over $1300 a year when I did it. Their homeowner's was less than half of what I was paying. Plus their payout is great. I was having problems with mice in my attic because of a hole from the big metal pole that held my electrical lines. The guy who came out to inspect not only recommended they pay for that, but also for a new roof because mine had hail damage. And the payout was so good that I got a new roof, plus I had my electrical lines buried and also got a new garage door. Oh, and I had my house trim powerwashed and repainted and had my deck resealed.

Blackcat1954
08-20-2010, 02:23 PM
We have RVOS for homeowner

Have used it a bout 4 times and got quick an good results forgot what are deductible is

We had hail damage on our roof

belonging stolen

shower repair from water damage

includes jewelery as well

our monthly payment is $99

I think we have coverage for over $100,000

ASUFrisbeeStud
08-26-2010, 10:41 PM
This is what I do for a living.

Hoccheim has a very limited named perils policy (HO-A Limited), I personally would go with someone else but I work for one of the big guys so I'm partial to them.

State Farm has a very comprehensive (HO-W) policy that no one else can touch, except maybe Farmers new policy. I'd call you're local State Farm agent and a quote for Home and auto together and I bet you will get better coverage and save some money.

44INAROW
08-27-2010, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by ASUFrisbeeStud
This is what I do for a living.

Hoccheim has a very limited named perils policy (HO-A Limited), I personally would go with someone else but I work for one of the big guys so I'm partial to them.

State Farm has a very comprehensive (HO-W) policy that no one else can touch, except maybe Farmers new policy. I'd call you're local State Farm agent and a quote for Home and auto together and I bet you will get better coverage and save some money.

Hochheim also offers a very comprehensive policy.. All risk (except flood of course and mold) you have to remember - we are in Tier 1 and 2 down here - totally different rules than inland Tier 3. And furthermore - Hochheim's policies are Farm Mutual policies and aren't on the ISO forms so they aren't HO-A Plus or Limited. They have Special Cause of Loss (all risk) , Broad Cause of Loss or Basic cause of loss. Also - Hochheim isn't going to write you with one price then jack your price up on renewal. Just to set the record straight on that. Ask the folks in Corpus what their State Farm rates did on their 2010 renewals - WITH a mandatory 2% deductible on wind and hail and 5% on named storms.. Germania is a good company as well. I had them a while back.

sinton66
08-27-2010, 06:52 PM
If you live less than three counties away from the coast, don't go with Allstate. They'll force you to TWIA for windstorm and that organization will rape you (and you won't even get a kiss). That was me last year. Went with Farm Bureau and saved $700 a year.

Ranger Mom
08-27-2010, 07:01 PM
I have State Farm and pay $156.00 a month. I have never shopped around, so I don't know if that is a good price or not!!!

Blastoderm55
08-27-2010, 11:24 PM
Our lender told us we were over-paying for anything more than $1000 annually. Progressive was slightly more than that, but I was hoping to have better luck with companies more experienced with rural properties.

sinton66
08-28-2010, 09:26 AM
Average for my South Texas neighborhood seems to be about $1500.00 a year including windstorm. We're just outside the city limits.

ASUFrisbeeStud
08-29-2010, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
Our lender told us we were over-paying for anything more than $1000 annually. Progressive was slightly more than that, but I was hoping to have better luck with companies more experienced with rural properties.

Well when your lender gets into insurance maybe they will know a little more.

BullsFan
08-29-2010, 01:25 PM
Whoa. I pay a little over $600 a year. Is it because I live so far north? Lack of crime?

sinton66
08-29-2010, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by BullsFan
Whoa. I pay a little over $600 a year. Is it because I live so far north? Lack of crime?

Maybe, your insurance company doesn't have to worry about you claiming hurricane damage. Are you sure it isn't $600.00 every 6 months?

Ranger Mom
08-29-2010, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
Maybe, your insurance company doesn't have to worry about you claiming hurricane damage. Are you sure it isn't $600.00 every 6 months?

I pay more than 3 times that amount and my insurance company sure doesn't have to worry about hurricane damage!!

Tx Challenge
08-29-2010, 09:20 PM
ASUfrisbeestud and 44INAROW are in the buisiness and are the ones that can help you more than most.

My advise is to shop around. You have so many varibles in this. To say 1k a year is too much is like saying I was paying $100 to insure my 1971 Pinto in Kansas so why does it cost 1k to insure my 2010 Porsche in New York.

Compare homes in the area and what they require. Is flood, wind, required? What else do you need covered? Is the basic insurance enough to cover your jewelry, guns or anything else that is of value more than the norm?What kind of deduct do you want? All of this are deciding factors or what your rate will be.

Some will offer discounts if you have your autos with them, or an umbrella policy ect. Insurance is one of the most custom and confusing things for most. Do your research on what your needs are and go with what fits your needs. Good luck and congrats on your new home:)

BullsFan
08-29-2010, 10:18 PM

Nope. It gets paid in October every year. I live in a rural community of fewer than 6000 people. Very little crime, no possibility of flooding unless my plumbing goes out. And definitely no hurricanes. I was told it was a comprehensive policy, but I can't remember any of the details. Maybe I should go look my paperwork over...

ETA: I also have my auto insurance with them. I get a discount for having both policies with them, and I get another discount for having my car insurance taken directly from my checking account.

sinton66
08-30-2010, 06:57 AM
Nope. It gets paid in October every year. I live in a rural community of fewer than 6000 people. Very little crime, no possibility of flooding unless my plumbing goes out. And definitely no hurricanes. I was told it was a comprehensive policy, but I can't remember any of the details. Maybe I should go look my paperwork over...

ETA: I also have my auto insurance with them. I get a discount for having both policies with them, and I get another discount for having my car insurance taken directly from my checking account.

That's the lowest rate I've ever heard of, congrats.

BullsFan
08-30-2010, 08:05 AM
That's the lowest rate I've ever heard of, congrats.

That's what I thought when I got it. It's almost 700 cheaper than my last policy was, and I thought it was because I went with a local insurance agency. Now I'm worried that something's wrong with my coverage. But they did pay out HUGE for a new roof....

slpybear the bullfan
08-30-2010, 11:09 PM
That's what I thought when I got it. It's almost 700 cheaper than my last policy was, and I thought it was because I went with a local insurance agency. Now I'm worried that something's wrong with my coverage. But they did pay out HUGE for a new roof....

BullsFan also got my family to switch. We now only pay $700 annually for homeowners.

I am not an insurance expert, or in the business. But we were/are an excellent home and car owner who used a big national insurance company for home and auto. We went for many years with with no claims, and were paying over $1000 a year for the house policy. One call from BullsFan and we jumped ship to $700 a year and our coverage increased on the house.

And no, as a consumer that doesn't make me happy.