PDA

View Full Version : College Football Oversigning

Phil C
08-13-2010, 04:39 PM
Below is an interesting article on the past five years of college's recruiting over the past few years. Recently LSU had to kick a player off the team because of oversigning. Some ways you can get out of it is early enrollment, grayshirting, redshirting etc but sometimes if you overdo it then you have to not honor your commitments. You are supposed to take at a maximum 25 a year unless some of the conditions mentioned occur such as grayshirting. At any point you may only have 85 scholarship limit which is a shame but unfortunately you do sometimes lose players due to grades, wanting to transfer to another college for more playing time, injuries, trouble with the law, etc.
Auburn is at the top and Northwestern at the bottom. Notice which conference is in the top 5 is another point of interest.

UT has very rarely went over 25. I remember one time they got 27 but the next year they only got about 17. Remember these are final signatures on National Signing Day.

http://oversigning.com/testing/index.php/2010/05/06/2006-2010-recruiting-numbers/

Keith7
08-13-2010, 05:12 PM
Troy University often signs well over their allotted spots Phil..

It really is a cheap way to recruit if you ask me.

Rabid Cougar
08-13-2010, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
Troy University often signs well over their allotted spots Phil..

It really is a cheap way to recruit if you ask me.

90 % of them don't qualify.

mwynn05
08-13-2010, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Rabid Cougar
90 % of them don't qualify. you have no freakin clue what you're talking about

BrahmaMom
08-15-2010, 08:51 PM
Happens a lot; many schools don't look at the academics until after the fact. Oops...

Txbroadcaster
08-15-2010, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by BrahmaMom
Happens a lot; many schools don't look at the academics until after the fact. Oops...

it is not after the fact it is they have kids waiting test results or taking tests after recruiting is done.

SWMustang
08-15-2010, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by mwynn05
you have no freakin clue what you're talking about

It looks like the sign 25 high school kids and 8 or so JC guys for the last three years. I have no idea if they qualify or not.

LH Panther Mom
08-15-2010, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
it is not after the fact it is they have kids waiting test results or taking tests after recruiting is done.
A good way to alleviate that would be for the colleges to only extend offers to kids who have met the early NCAA requirements. But then what do I know? ;)

LE Dad
08-15-2010, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
A good way to alleviate that would be for the colleges to only extend offers to kids who have met the early NCAA requirements. But then what do I know? ;) Lol, but then the schools couldn't put them at their JUCO farm schools. I know one SEC school that recruited a player from here, outstanding athlete but was dumb as a box of rocks; he was farmed out to some Mizzu college and then 2 yrs later he was a Razor... I mean err SEC player.:)

BrahmaMom
08-15-2010, 10:19 PM
If they are waiting for kids to take tests, that in many cases is cuz the kid knows how its gonna come out. Rice University makes its first stop at the counselor's office to make sure a student athlete is academically qualified before they take another step.

LH Panther Mom
08-16-2010, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by LE Dad
outstanding athlete but was dumb as a box of rocks;
Every week during football season I see at least a half dozen of the same type being interviewed! :p

BEAST
08-17-2010, 08:24 AM
I dont agree with it, and Im not saying its right, but the bottom line is winning. The major D1 college coaches get paid millions to win. Truthfully, when is the last time you heard anyone mention a star college football player and mention his academics?

BEAST

LionKing
08-17-2010, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by BEAST
I dont agree with it, and Im not saying its right, but the bottom line is winning. The major D1 college coaches get paid millions to win. Truthfully, when is the last time you heard anyone mention a star college football player and mention his academics?

BEAST I agree, and you won't, College fans spend millions every year to see football teams play, they don't go watch the debate team.

LH Panther Mom
08-17-2010, 06:15 PM
Truthfully, when is the last time you heard anyone mention a star college football player and mention his academics?

BEAST
Not until they have to take the Wonderlic! :ack!: :ack!:

mwynn05
08-17-2010, 07:04 PM

BEAST Myron Rolle